Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CPL593H posted:

Here's the thing, I think paying a couple hundred bucks for any record is stupid but if you really can't tell the difference in quality and artistic merit between Sign 'O' The Times and the boss fight music from Streets of Rage 2 I don't know what else to say to you.

Quality lmao

The keyboards prince used probably had the same sound chip as a genesis.

Do i need to explain what that means in ww2 metaphors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've already more than exhausted the interest I have in this topic. I don't care what you listen to.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

VMP announced the July Record of the Month and I know next to nothing about the rap album, Unapologetic Art Rap by Open Mike Eagle. Apparently it has never seen a vinyl release but I haven’t listened to any of his stuff, any recommendations?

I dunno. Sounded like hip hop that NPR would play... Maybe look him up on spotify, pandora, YouTube? The classics selection is dope though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

I dunno. Sounded like hip hop that NPR would play... Maybe look him up on spotify, pandora, YouTube? The classics selection is dope though.

Yah was planning on checking him out on Spotify, but I’m at a wedding this weekend and prob won’t have a chance until Sunday. I just read about the Classics July release, though and I am pretty sure I am going to switch to that one. Thanks!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Someone buy this and post it itt

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/680377904

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

MrSargent posted:

VMP announced the July Record of the Month and I know next to nothing about the rap album, Unapologetic Art Rap by Open Mike Eagle. Apparently it has never seen a vinyl release but I haven’t listened to any of his stuff, any recommendations?

Alansmithee over in the rap thread knows him pretty well. Ive only listened to Rappers Will Die Of Natural Causes but it was good.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Thread, should I try out Flexi discs? Is there any reason?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If you’re a completionist collector of something I guess?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

They're an amusing novelty but I'd never go out of my way to get them or pay premium prices for it. The first record I had was a flexi disc from an old Mad Magazine. It was this goofy rear end song that had eight different endings which would play randomly depending on where you dropped the stylus at the beginning of the song. HOURS OF FUN!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My first record was an Alf flexidisc. I don’t remember what the song was like. I think it was called Melmac Memories.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

My first record was an Alf flexidisc. I don’t remember what the song was like. I think it was called Melmac Memories.

The funniest thing about Alf is that everyone working on the show absolutely hated it and the guy who created/played Alf. Apparently he was really mean and treated the puppet like it was a real person and made lots of unreasonable demands. The set of the show was also a nightmare because there were all these trap doors everywhere for the puppet and people were constantly terrified of falling through them and injuring themselves. When the final episode wrapped several of the cast members just about ran to their cars and got out of there as fast as they could.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The funniest thing about Alf is that everyone working on the show absolutely hated it and the guy who created/played Alf. Apparently he was really mean and treated the puppet like it was a real person and made lots of unreasonable demands. The set of the show was also a nightmare because there were all these trap doors everywhere for the puppet and people were constantly terrified of falling through them and injuring themselves. When the final episode wrapped several of the cast members just about ran to their cars and got out of there as fast as they could.

When I was 8 I thought the jokes were the funniest thing about Alf.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

IIRC stuffed Alf toys were the Funko Pop figures of thier day.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My flexi collection starts and ends with Billy and the Boingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUt-lDH85k

and I have this somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGtksbd5AQ

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've got one flexi-disc for the band Protomartyr and it sounds like poo poo, but that's kind of the point. cheap novelty things that don't sound particularly good, but might have some exclusive music on them. If you paid more than $10 for one you paid too much.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The only flexi disc I want is the Russian bootleg single release of Throbbing Gristle's 'Hamburger Lady'.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The only flexi disc I want is the Russian bootleg single release of Throbbing Gristle's 'Hamburger Lady'.

A few years ago Gibby Haynes put a single and there was a limited edition flexi-disc version of it that was made from old x-ray photos which I thought would be cool to have. It was one of those Third Man Records jerk off things though so it probably costs about a hundred dollars now.

edit: It sold once and only once on discogs for 400 dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 24, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Cereal box records or nothing!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CPL593H posted:

They're an amusing novelty but I'd never go out of my way to get them or pay premium prices for it. The first record I had was a flexi disc from an old Mad Magazine. It was this goofy rear end song that had eight different endings which would play randomly depending on where you dropped the stylus at the beginning of the song. HOURS OF FUN!
I had that one, It's A Super-Spectacular Day, and of course it's on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mkHdnyr2RU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cereal box records or nothing!

how do you fit the entire box on your turntable tho? NRFB or bust.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

how do you fit the entire box on your turntable tho? NRFB or bust.

Who cares about the record, I want Jughead's hat!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Got back from a weekend trip and of course the first thing I do is hit up the record store to see if there were any gems put out over the weekend. Ended up with a pretty decent haul including:

Al Green - Got 4 different LP's for about $3 each
Candi Staton - Chance
Pink Floyd - Final Cut
M.C. Shan - Down By Law
Finesse & Synquis - Bass Game (Produced by Marley Marl)
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man Soundtrack
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Stereo Lab - Got the 3x LP Compilation for $12 and was stoked, usually goes on discogs for $30+

When I took out the M.C. Shan record, I noticed that it had writing over the artist name. I doubt it actually means anything but I like to think it once belonged to a DJ in the 80's.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Found a sealed copy of No Love Deep Web in Bend over the weekend. :hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Who cares about the record, I want Jughead's hat!

for the low low price of $90

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Or...ity!94112!US!-1

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Or make your own whoopee cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbUuxchyjQw

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

They put "Archie's Pal Jughead" and a picture of him on the actual hat? Forget it! I don't want to look stupid.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Tape will never die

Respect tape

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I could get Raekwon’s purple tape i definitely would.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

If I could get Raekwon’s purple tape i definitely would.

Hell, same.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new presets album arrived from au and it's beautiful

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress, everybody go out and buy this. Now.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Banano posted:

Holy gently caress, everybody go out and buy this. Now.

I read a little about the history of this album, but could you share a little more info about the music? Unfortunately, doing a quick search around local stores (California), it does not appear to be in stock anywhere.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Walrus posted:

new presets album arrived from au and it's beautiful

Wow. That’s awful pretty.

(Googles)

:suicide:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, I found a "deal" on amazon for 70 bucks CDN but it was still a lot a lot. I will say, the album is great and the packaging is amazing, all the printing and images are super crisp and high res and pretty. I'm not salty about the price it's so nice.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

MrSargent posted:

I read a little about the history of this album, but could you share a little more info about the music? Unfortunately, doing a quick search around local stores (California), it does not appear to be in stock anywhere.

ostensibly it's French 'pop' but not really - it's a period when self segregated styles and artists started to mix. So chanteuses, orchestral/soundtrack, funk, jazz, that sort of thing. There's the obligatory Serge track and a couple of others he produced and some other stuff by his orchestral arranger but that's it for him, lots of artists I've never heard of and a handful I had. If you're a hiphop/beatmaker type you will bust nuts all over it. Just lots of really gorgeous tunes basically.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Tape will never die

Respect tape

Thank you.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

that's Australian dollars so about $40 USD. still not cheap though

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What I'd be interested in are the prison issued cassette tape. Basically, in the late 2000s, there was a company issuing albums on tape for prisoners since tape machines can be completely clear.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Tape will never die

Respect tape

The hype sticker on that Yanni album is its own work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I finally found this record and I am beyond stoked considering it isn't available to purchase digitally or stream on any platform as far as I know. The media is in great condition, with only slight surface noise. The sleeve is a little dinged but otherwise pretty good.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 26, 2018