Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well this is a bad sign. Based on Netflix constant Hal-9000 monitoring of my viewing habits, Luke Cage S2 is actually not listed on the entire front page of the website or Android app (same list I know).

Oh wait, finally found it tucked away and hidden. Not kidding, btw, and lower expectations accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Andrigaar posted:

Well this is a bad sign. Based on Netflix constant Hal-9000 monitoring of my viewing habits, Luke Cage S2 is actually not listed on the entire front page of the website or Android app (same list I know).

Oh wait, finally found it tucked away and hidden. Not kidding, btw, and lower expectations accordingly.

Why should anyone assume this means anything

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Arist posted:

Why should anyone assume this means anything

It's half a joke based on Netflix spending at least one week pimping out a new marvel show in a giant splash panel covering literally the entire front page of their website.

That's why.

The commentary is that their algorithm put it as a low priority for me based on my perceived likes. And I didn't like LC1 very much, so odds are it's guessing correctly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Andrigaar posted:

netflix never shows me ANYTHING that i'd actually like to watch. As soon as I hear something is new on the service I click the little bell up top to see what's new and it's some stand up special i don't give a gently caress about and a new season of GLOW. I need to type out the entire name of the thing in the search bar in order for it to show up amongst 40+ unrelated things.

Their algorithm is getting shittier, or they are intentionally hiding their most popular poo poo now hoping you'll watch trash you don't care about instead of actively seeking it out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, Luke Cage S2? I got an email about it, had no idea it was dropping. Early impressions?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
If LCS2 sucks we have to wait through another season of Iron Fist before we get another good character :(

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Zzulu posted:

13 hours of captivating TV is kind of hard to do

You also dilute the budget over more episodes so

Punisher just did it! It's totally possible

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
So far, the first few episodes have the main characters being idiots. If you can wade through that, there's some great stuff with Misty (Does she get the arm? YES ) and Colleen. Also some callouts to the times that Luke just had to make a buck.

But what's real fun so far is every time you see Bushmaster. He's tons of fun, even though his super power is that he's Jamaican.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LinYutang posted:

If LCS2 sucks we have to wait through another season of Iron Fist before we get another good character :(

Isn't Daredevil Season 3 this year?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh poo poo, Luke Cage S2? I got an email about it, had no idea it was dropping. Early impressions?

I'm on episode 5 and I'm enjoying it at least as much as the first, which is not a terribly high bar admittedly as I don't remember that much of the first half and didn't love it anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arist posted:

Isn't Daredevil Season 3 this year?

It is, but Iron Fist 2 finished shooting about a month and a half before DD3 did, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Iron Fist drops in August or September, then Daredevil at the end of the year. Punisher 2 wrapped earlier this month but I don't think we'll see that until next year.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

LinYutang posted:

I've got 2 episodes left and I have to say if season 2 of Iron Fist has the version of the character that's been in the last couple episodes then I'm looking forward to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timby posted:

It is, but Iron Fist 2 finished shooting about a month and a half before DD3 did, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Iron Fist drops in August or September, then Daredevil at the end of the year.

I hadn't heard anything about it, so I assumed IF was next year. Huh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's dope as gently caress. Better than s1 but I'm only on episode 5 soooo

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Gumby posted:

So far, the first few episodes have the main characters being idiots.
But what's real fun so far is every time you see Bushmaster. He's tons of fun, even though his super power is that he's Jamaican.

Isn't that Marvel tradition? Having the hero smugly screw up their own circumstances.

Also you left out having a perfectly tailored soul patch to go with the accent.

Mid-way through ep2. Show is 90% people sitting down and trying to out-sass each other in little verbal power plays while Shades' actor keeps trying to out-intensify everyone by glowering even harder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:stare: "Never underestimate how quickly old pussy can elevate a man to new heights."

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I’m living for the Esperanza Spalding cameo.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

When the light and the angle hit juuuuuust right, the guitarist at the end of episode 2 looks a lot like Torgo of Manos: The Hands of Fate.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

The first episode of LCS2 was pretty dull and I don't have the patience anymore to wait several hours for a show to get good. Oh well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every time Shades and Mariah are together it's awful, they have zero chemistry.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Danny has been improved and his chemistry with Lukes is great so I can accept a heroes for hire series. Mariah is cold blooded. gently caress the haters.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Rocksicles posted:

Every time Shades and Mariah are together it's awful, they have zero chemistry.

Yeah, that's my only real knock for this season so far. I'm really enjoying this season a LOT more than I expected. I am only halfway through it now, and I think I'm probably just going to stay up until 6am and watch this all night.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Shades supposed to be black? I thought the actor was/is Puerto Rican

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
No he's not although when he was in Sons of Anarchy his character was supposed to be half black. The last episode is named after a great song by the way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
These shows are part of the MCU right? Are any at all gonna mention the on the street consequences of Thanos? (Haven't seen past first episode of this season) Could be neat if the cop, criminal and civic institutions are in utter chaos in the aftermath. Power vacuums in the criminal world, beat cops, detectives and even the brass getting halved in the precincts, involuntary promotions all around. I know they mention the aftermath of the avengers in like DD season 1

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting direction they took at the end. Guess Luke becoming a player in the underworld is the logical/cynical conclusion of the hero for hire mindset. I was hoping Mariah would survive so there would be a Kingpin/Mariah team up for a second season of Defenders but a Kingpin/Nightshade team up could work just as well. I'm interested to see where they go now.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Milo and POTUS posted:

These shows are part of the MCU right? Are any at all gonna mention the on the street consequences of Thanos? (Haven't seen past first episode of this season) Could be neat if the cop, criminal and civic institutions are in utter chaos in the aftermath. Power vacuums in the criminal world, beat cops, detectives and even the brass getting halved in the precincts, involuntary promotions all around. I know they mention the aftermath of the avengers in like DD season 1

I think the Marvel Netflix shows have been very particular about taking place within the first couple years after Avengers.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I want to be Alfre Woodard's boy toy.

Enjoying this so far. Cool atmosphere, great music, Luke wrecking fools, Mariah being a stone cold boss.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think the Marvel Netflix shows have been very particular about taking place within the first couple years after Avengers.

That's almost disappointing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Me too, I honestly thought I had gotten the date wrong when I couldn't find it on the front-page. The algorithm is lets say... Not as good as it could be.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Jessica Jones S2 mentioned the Raft as a pretty significant point in the plot, so we're just around Civil War, probably

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slashrat posted:

Jessica Jones S2 mentioned the Raft as a pretty significant point in the plot, so we're just around Civil War, probably

And I think Luke's dad referenced Thor as a false god.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I really enjoyed the first season of Luke fist ,but thought it went a bit too long, and cotton mouth was a waaaaay more interesting villain than Diamond back.

Season 2 I enjoyed a tonne although theres a bit of drag in some parts.

The last episode was epic.
Mariah goes full loving scarface, and dear god Luke, wtf. It struck me the filming kid is supposed to be a stand in for the audience and his rip on Luke at the end was actually kind of really sad because I think its supposed to signal to the true belivers, "Guess what, we're about to break your heart folks", aaand then Luke boots claire out the club. Goddamn. Heavy is the crown.

Mariah has been the stand out for me though. "You never know what your capable of" indeed. Ice loving cold. Bushmaster isn't a particularly compelling villain, but as the show goes on he does at least get kind of interesting, which puts him head and shoulders about Diamondback who was just a carboard cutout moustache twiddler

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 23, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm struggling with Mariah, her character is all over the place. She's not menacing, she's not all that smart, she got honey dicked... it's the oldest trick in the book. She's like a Day's of Our Lives character in the marvel universe.

I was rooting for her. But now i'm all for these island rudeboys.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gaunab posted:

Interesting direction they took at the end. Guess Luke becoming a player in the underworld is the logical/cynical conclusion of the hero for hire mindset. I was hoping Mariah would survive so there would be a Kingpin/Mariah team up for a second season of Defenders but a Kingpin/Nightshade team up could work just as well. I'm interested to see where they go now.

I was also thinking that it felt like they were setting up Kingpin as the person to come take over. King Cage isn't bad though and it was established quite well that Luke was already dancing around having to make choices between the lesser of two evils.

I think the only thing that I didn't like was Tilda coming back in at the end and being mad about not getting the club. She never showed any ambition to wield power over others and it really felt like she wanted to wash her hands of the whole family by that point. The scene of her checking in on the club and suddenly falling in love with it wasn't really enough to make me think she wanted any part of the life and I'm not really looking forward to seeing her try to step up and challenge Cage which is what it felt like they were doing.

Bushmaster was a good villain early on but he lost a lot of steam in the second half and his exit wasn't particularly well handled. Also gently caress these drat tenth hour prequel episodes that are in nearly every netflix show.

Alfre Woodard was a delight again though. Black Mariah was one of the more nuanced villains they've done on these shows. Her chemistry with Rossi was really enjoyable and they made for a great couple. Her whole speech to Tilda about the events of her birth and the 'I never loved you line.' was probably the most brutal and raw that any Netflix show has gotten.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Four episodes in and I'm liking it. It seems to have a bit more pace and consistency to it than S1, which had a lot of filler even early on, though Cottonmouth was so drat good he carried his half of the season. So far it's way better than JJS2 which I watched a couple of weeks back (first show I haven't binged on release) and that was a huge nosedive in quality after the brilliant first season. That season hurt itself by feeling so disconnected to the rest of the Netflix MCU, especially coming off the back of Defenders, and having season 1 introduce both JJ and Cage. Glad to see that Luke Cage S2 hasn't made that mistake, we're getting that integration that frankly all these shows need now.

Do also find a way to check out Cloak and Dagger if you can. That's up to 4 (out of 10) episodes so far and is properly stylish and interesting and well crafted.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I'm struggling with Mariah, her character is all over the place. She's not menacing, she's not all that smart, she got honey dicked... it's the oldest trick in the book. She's like a Day's of Our Lives character in the marvel universe.

I was rooting for her. But now i'm all for these island rudeboys.

If you haven't got to the end yet, stick with it. Her being over the place is kind of the point with her. She's on a downward spiral from councilwoman Mariah to full scarface murder everything Mariah and she has no control over the process until finally she does.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I really was not expecting them to pull out Deadly Nightshade, thought they should have leaned all the way into her super-genius thing. At least Iron Fist wasn't terrible, but who knows if they can pull that off for a second season of his show as opposed to one episode. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Episode 3. Jesus Christ that was uncomfortable to watch. Luke had always struck me as the most level-headed of the Marvel Netflix heroes, but holy hell is he on a downward spiral and starting to emotionally abuse Claire.

Tilda sure is a cutie, though, I find her much prettier than the more overtly sexually attractive characters like Claire. Fingers crossed she manages to rise above this quagmire that's sinking seemingly everyone in Harlem...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Gabrielle Dennis(Tilda) is pretty hot. She's not as sexualized but they don't make her ugly either. I mean Rosario Dawson is hard to beat when it comes to sex appeal though. I think my heart still belongs to Alfre this season though, I'd be her Shades :tellmemore:

I realized I'd forgot to mention the Iron Fist cameo that was surprisingly not terrible. He had better chemistry with Luke this time around but that actor is just...bleh. I'm not excited for IFS2 but at least I'm more willing to give it a chance than I was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
8 episodes deep, and Shades continues to be one of my favourite characters in the MCU. The stuff in ep 7 with... having to come to terms with his best friend and ex lover being a snitch he has to kill had me feeling all sorts of chumblywumbly inside for both Shades and Commanche, despite the latter having just killed a cop. I'm getting all sorts of empathy for even the worst people, especially as it then followed that scene up with the montage of Luke and Bushmaster talking about their dead mothers. Feels all over the place man.

There's no-one of the level of Cottonmouth in this season, but overall it's (so far) a lot stronger and more consistent than the very patchy first season.

E: Alfre Woodard's ep 9 monologue is amazing. She acts the gently caress out of it.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 24, 2018