Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CJ posted:

Can't be Togusa? loving dropped.

Even Togusa had some cybernetic implants, he just didn't have nearly as many modifications as the rest of his team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Look at these chumps who won't be playing Hiro Protagonist

That's because Snow Crash is trash. :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's because Snow Crash is trash. :colbert:

Hell yeah, if there is one piece of work responsible for degrading cyberpunk to the level of a shameful guilty pleasure, it's Snow Crash.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Hell yeah, if there is one piece of work responsible for degrading cyberpunk to the level of a shameful guilty pleasure, it's Snow Crash.

cyberpunk was already at that level when philip k dick was writing it

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

CottonWolf posted:

The TV series of Altered Carbon made some pretty incomprehensible changes from the book. I've only read (well, listened) to the first one, but my understanding is that the changes they've made would actually make the later books unadaptable, so they'll almost certainly have to come up with their own novel storyline.

Nah you could probably do the second book without issue, the third one yeah.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Just thinking about this game has got me on a Cyberpunk kick, so I watched Altered Carbon on Netflix. It's not bad, scratches the itch, and also has a scene that's just a cop fighting a bunch of sexy naked clones.

Cyberpunk 2077 will probably help a whole load of similar shows get pushed over the edge into production.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CottonWolf posted:

The TV series of Altered Carbon made some pretty incomprehensible changes from the book. I've only read (well, listened) to the first one, but my understanding is that the changes they've made would actually make the later books unadaptable, so they'll almost certainly have to come up with their own novel storyline.

I’ve read all three, and I think they could get there. They’d have to tweak the motivations of his comrades for the third one, but the second is standalone enough that it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Which is good, because AIUI they’ve signed up for two more.

(I think the changes to the plot of the show were reasonable given their need to compress the story.)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

steinrokkan posted:

At least we're reaching the point where the present day is a somewhat interesting if very depressing Cyberpunk situation, judging from the CSPAM thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

cyberpunk was already at that level when philip k dick was writing it

PK Dick would have been remembered as another Kurt Vonnegut or Isaac Asimov had people like Stephenson not poisoned the well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vonnegut is the only sci-fi author that really has mainstream literary cred but Dick is absolutely considered the same level of quality and importance as authors like Asimov.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

PK Dick would have been remembered as another Kurt Vonnegut or Isaac Asimov had people like Stephenson not poisoned the well.

no not really, Dick wasn't a good writer. he had some cool ideas that influenced a ton of media but so much of his actual writing is terrible

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

no not really, Dick wasn't a good writer. he had some cool ideas that influenced a ton of media but so much of his actual writing is terrible

WTF, Scanner Darky or DADOES are absolutely well written novels. If anything they are much better written, much more dynamic than anything by the commonly accepted sci-fi classics like Clarke or Asimov or Heinlein.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

WTF, Scanner Darky or DADOES are absolutely well written novels. If anything they are much better written, much more dynamic than anything by the commonly accepted sci-fi classics like Clarke or Asimov or Heinlein.

yeah scanner darkly is pretty good but that's definitely a pretty rare exception and even there most of the characters are pretty thin. the bulk of dick's work is stuff he shat out for quick money. don't get me wrong i love it, but it is not good

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
It's mainly dick's earlier stuff like MitHC that has awkward and bland prose. He got better as a writer as he got further from his pulp novel-mill roots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pondsmith loving loves katanas.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Earwicker posted:

yeah scanner darkly is pretty good but that's definitely a pretty rare exception and even there most of the characters are pretty thin. the bulk of dick's work is stuff he shat out for quick money. don't get me wrong i love it, but it is not good

I thought Ubik was pretty good.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
VALIS is an objectively good book, even by mainstream standards

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Subjunctive posted:

Which is good, because AIUI they’ve signed up for two more.

Good. Didn't know that and looking forward to it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

JBP posted:

Pondsmith loving loves katanas.

Now I want a Cyberpunk katana unboxing holo-vid.
"It's transparent aluminium nano-tape!"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I was kinda hoping for the option of completing the game with no cybernetics at all, if only to have a Hell difficulty after beating the game a few times.

In my futuristic cybergame, I don't want to be. :broke brains:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
DXHR had a no cybers achievement. At least for the DLC. I don’t remember if it mattered for the base game, but it was possible.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You mean aside from your robot arms and Ray-Ban and entirely rebuilt torso?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Just saying it was there, my dude.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I imagine a no augmentation run of this game would be like a no powers run of Dishonered. Even if it's possible it would be super boring.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gently caress yeah time for cyber punk 2077. *Makes a contemporary 2010 person*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

gently caress yeah time for cyber punk 2077. *Makes a contemporary 2010 person*

you are being kind of weird. lotek/antitech characters and mentalities within cyberpunk worlds have been a thing for pretty much the whole history of the genre. it makes sense that someone might want to try playing that way for a challenge

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 25, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Earwicker posted:

you are being kind of weird. lotek/antitech characters and mentalities within cyberpunk worlds have been a thing for pretty much the whole history of the genre. it makes sense that someone might want to try playing that way for a challenge

Abandon the weakness of the flesh for sicknasty laser eyes :awesomelon:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Gonna build me a character with a fully metallic mohawk made of chromed out chain link fence and bicycle spokes complete with hidden compartments for my echolocator and meat snack for when I’m on the go.

Should go great with my single-lens color changing jet ski sunglasses.

edit: Gonna name him Chromehawk.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 25, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Earwicker posted:

Maybe in something like shadowrun where you get magic to make up for the lack of cybernetics.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Maybe in something like shadowrun where you get magic to make up for the lack of cybernetics.

or you just leave it as a challenge run after youve bearen the game multiple times

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glenn Quebec posted:

Shadowrun is my jam, but that's not really the cyberpunk story, is it? The gulf between the rich and poor has widened and technology has matured to the point where the rich can literally buy being better than everyone else. Who cares what you look like if you can buy a new face? How do you compete with people whose parents could afford to buy them neurological upgrades?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nah, most stories feature someone who usually roams around screaming "we didn't ask if we should!!!!!" about tech.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ravenfood posted:

Nah, most stories feature someone who usually roams around screaming "we didn't ask if we should!!!!!" about tech.

Yeah I know but playing as that guy sounds dumb as heck.

Inb4 "I never asked for this"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wiegieman posted:

How do you compete with people whose parents could afford to buy them neurological upgrades?

:murder:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah I know but playing as that guy sounds dumb as heck.

Inb4 "I never asked for this"

I dunno man, it has a certain appeal. Similar to playing a magebasher in a magic-oriented fantasy game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I mean who wants to do an SL1 run in Dark Souls when the game is about using souls to pump your RPG stats?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOovtZXYqj4

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean who wants to do an SL1 run in Dark Souls when the game is about using souls to pump your RPG stats?

That's not the same thing. Cyberpunk looks like the kind game wants to make a story that makes sense around the three classes to chose from. An anti tech hobo doesn't make sense next to the other classes And wouldn't make sense in the larger story they are gonna try to present.

It's not like dark souls and using a dagger instead of a sword or not leveling

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
How do you know a megacorp hasn't hidden some nasty feature in your cyberware and one day you wake up and sell out everyone you care about :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ragg posted:

How do you know a megacorp hasn't hidden some nasty feature in your cyberware and one day you wake up and sell out everyone you care about :tinfoil:

This was one of the few good things about Human Revolution and I wouldn't mind something like it showing up for a quest.