Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

So how is druid×paladin? Flaming Bear Claws of Devotion!

Lifegiver/Kind Wayfarer should be an indestructible healbot that doesn't lock you out of aoe or single target
Fury is an interesting one - with the voulge and elec plate from the bardatto's you can make a neat nuker. You give up druid healing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I found a spyglass in that first shipwreck next to Port Maje :smuggo:

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm beginning to think the Blessing that gives you 5k starting gold could've just been changed to "start with a spyglass."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ratios and Tendency posted:

So did I! (after reloading)(many times)

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Is a spyglass even all that useful apart from cool flavor and letting you sneak into Fort Deadlight?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I snuck into Fort Deadlight without a spyglass, so it doesn't seem particularly useful.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

paladin pairs well with mostly everything so I imagine it must be pretty good!!!!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just assault fort deadlight because I save it for the end and just brute force it. It was a pretty interesting quest on the first playthrough for sneaking and Serafen teaches you a sweet name for the Luminous Bathhouse.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 24, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Grimoire posted:

Lifegiver/Kind Wayfarer should be an indestructible healbot that doesn't lock you out of aoe or single target
Fury is an interesting one - with the voulge and elec plate from the bardatto's you can make a neat nuker. You give up druid healing though

I think the voulge is a little wasted on a single class fury. For that type of character, I think lance of the midwood stag is probably a better choice, since it buffs all your spells by +2 power levels rather than just storm spells. And for a multiclass mainly using the voulge to buff relentless storm while going into melee, fury helps, but isn't necessarily better than animist or lifegiver. Relentless storm has high penetration and enemies rarely have very high shock AR, so the penetration from fury isn't so important.

Lifegiver/Kind Wayfarer looks really nice, I agree.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Re: Druid POTD chat. I went with a single-classed Animist and have been doing absolutely fine starting on POTD mode. Also using the Darryn's Volgue because of thematic reasons. My Watcher doesn't seem to have too much trouble with anything except iron constructs with huge armour (which seems to be a problem for everyone on my team). It seems at least for me, that POTD is still pretty viable with "whatever" as your team. There are enough tips and tricks to pull you through every encounter. I also use Tekehu as a Chanter and he seems to be really useful too. I don't want anyone to be put off playing the game however they want because they get the impression that it can't be done. Non-optimal sure, but it is all very doable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno about PotD, but there's plenty of room for playing non-optimally on lower difficulties without turning the game into a slog for sure.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dunno about PotD, but there's plenty of room for playing non-optimally on lower difficulties without turning the game into a slog for sure.

I am playing on POTD and my general first time approach to these games has been "do whatever". I make the barest minimum of effort to optimise or min-max my characters. I pick which skills sound cool and see where it takes me. I have been enjoying the game and it is just about challenging-but-not-too-challenging for me. The caveat is that I started the game prior to the POTD upgrade patch and so my Druid might never have made it off Port Maji if I was to restart. Also unsure if the POTD patch retroactively affects my save (I assume yes) so I might be in for a shock on further playthroughs.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m playing PotD post-patch and there was a huge difficulty spike on Port Maje — I had to skip by Aloth’s cage and do the underground digsite without him, with a lot of enemy pulling — but things levelled out after that and the challenge has been consistently hard but never at that level.

That said there have been very few fights I could auto-win. It’s required a fair bit of in-fight micromanaging, but I like that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah I've reached lvl 10 and got a few good uniques (like Caroc's Breastplate and other stuff) for my custom party in PotD and surprise surprise the difficulty curve just went all the way down.

the real ball-busting moments were all on lower lvl stuff like the digsite, the looters in that port maje flooded zone and the Old City. I imagine the fampyr island is still gonna be a pain in the rear end

also i fell for the Nalzpaca meme and gently caress having to give a poo poo about that one party member with a drug crash, might as well should have just used a normal monk

rope kid needs to fix summons in general IMO

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

frajaq posted:

Yeah I've reached lvl 10 and got a few good uniques (like Caroc's Breastplate and other stuff) for my custom party in PotD and surprise surprise the difficulty curve just went all the way down.

the real ball-busting moments were all on lower lvl stuff like the digsite, the looters in that port maje flooded zone and the Old City. I imagine the fampyr island is still gonna be a pain in the rear end

also i fell for the Nalzpaca meme and gently caress having to give a poo poo about that one party member with a drug crash, might as well should have just used a normal monk

lol I’m a normal monk and wished I’d picked Nalzpaca since I typically only use drugs when I’m going all-in on a big fight before a rest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I got you one better: Transmuter x Paladin. Flaming Ogre Fists of Devotion!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Could anyone tell me what the reward/conclusion is to the Neketaka event where you come across a blazing house and deal with some thugs there? I was lazy and skipped it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

For those of you coasting through PotD after Port Maje, what are your main sources of damage? It sounds like spells aren't that great due to likelihood of a miss.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pmchem posted:

For those of you coasting through PotD after Port Maje, what are your main sources of damage? It sounds like spells aren't that great due to likelihood of a miss.

My Monk helps a lot with damage, Beckoner summons help a lot by overwhelming with attacks

I have a Cipher/Rogue that helps immensely by the AoE debuffs like the one that gives Flanked (Phantom Foes) and the one that gives Sickened/Frighten (Secret Horrors), and also Charming enemies with weak Will

When playing PotD you kinda have to accept that you can't just gib the enemy because of the crazy high defenses, pretty much have to chip them down

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Can anyone else confirm if the 9th level Druid spell Pollen Patch is busted?

When I cast it, it works for a single tick and instantly dispels itself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

snoremac posted:

Could anyone tell me what the reward/conclusion is to the Neketaka event where you come across a blazing house and deal with some thugs there? I was lazy and skipped it.

I killed the thugs and it was some pretty generic loot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

snoremac posted:

It was burgled by some of Dereo's thugs, who set it on fire to cover their tracks or something. They'll leave you alone if you have a high enough Delver's Row rep, or you can kill them for some generic loot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samuel Clemens posted:

I got you one better: Transmuter x Paladin. Flaming Ogre Fists of Devotion!

I only want to be an ogre if I get one of those sweet cannons.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Subjunctive posted:

My Bleak Walker is disappointed that there are Benevolent points lurking behind unmarked dialogue options. At least I’ve maxed Aggressive now so I can stop getting into dumb fights if I want.

I ended up with only one dialogue choice in one of the god chats, and it was a diplomatic one.

That was enough to give me a penalty for disfavored.

Game literally forced me to be diplomatic, then punished me for it. That was pretty annoying.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

pmchem posted:

As mentioned, big damage single-hit nukes fall way off in effectiveness on PotD. On all of the hard fights, a caster who keeps casting is going to run out of spells long before all of the bads run out of hps. My biggest and best damage dealer is an adventurer Ranger(Sharpshooter)/Rogue(Basic) and a Bear, with low Resolve, Int, and Con. She deals shitloads of damage to anything, and can keep shooting all day. The Bear's job is to engage one or two things, keep them busy, and not die immediately.

For ranged weapons, an Arbalest (there's a unique one at the Metalworker near the bathhouse, 20k gold, one of the best weapons) with the 'always inflict Prone on hit' modal turned on can basically keep one caster locked down until it dies. And it will die in not many hits, because arbalests hit hard. It is good to have a War Bow, because they have the best penetration, and most of them deal Slashing damage, which means they can hurt piercing-immune skeletons. You run into a lot of skeletons. Rods, like the ones that look like they're for wizards, are actually pretty solid as ranged weapons, especially with the AOE modal and a high-leveled Ranger's +1 bouncing shot ability. If three things are clumped together, a bouncing AOE rod shot lands six hits.

A Rogue, or a Rogue/Something Else Violent, is quite good at teleporting into something's face and loving it up. But Rogues who are kitted out to be good at murdering have to sacrifice a lot of survivability, and so need a fair bit of micromanagement, patience, and cowardice to stab things without getting splattered. A Fighter/Rogue in armor who tries to be a sturdy and deadly front-liner can pull it off and be useful, but not as impressively as someone who specializes. Riposte is a luxury you can't afford on PotD.

A Fighter(Unbroken)/Barbarian(Angriest) has also done really well for me. He stands on the front line with a big shield and a legendary one-hander, turns on berserk and some Fighter defensive buffs, and then I mostly don't need to take care of him while he chips down three or four enemies at once. A good front-liner is a crucial pillar for a damage dealer to stand on.

A Priest's best spells all target friendlies and can't miss, which means they scale very well on PotD. Dire Blessing and Devotions for the Faithful are two of the best, and not even that high leveled. The Ranger and the Fight/Barb above are both much deadlier when they're Dire Blessed. I haven't tried multiclassing a Priest, but I think it could work well.

Druids and wizards are still kind of useful, but they have to settle for being mere contributors instead of fight-defining meteor gods. Look for spells that can keep applying their effects over a duration, you'll get a lot more work out of a firewall than a fire ball when you're at -3 penetration and they have 200 health, the chips of damage will add up to something useful. And a druid's returning storm stuns are great. Freezy/Blindy wizard field never stops being useful - and Tekehu gets to cast it, too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've asked before but I'm still curious and wonder if anyone knows.

There's a few characters in the game that have no dialogue and don't show up when you press TAB but have names. There's one near the stairs at the top floor of the Wild Mare, there's one in the inn in Dunnage, there's one in Port Maje near the governer.
What do they do? Are they cut content? They're also well equipped.

Also I can't believe I've missed all the sidekicks still, I really need to return to places once I've done the quests there. I didn't know one appeared in Dark Cupboard!
Both games I just got Konstanten and Ydwin and nobody else.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 25, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What are their names? I know that there's one guy in the Wild Mare who has a day job and dialogue in the VTC building, and presumably can be talked to in the Mare as part of his quest. The lady in Port Maje I'm pretty sure is the governor's wife, but I dunno if I've ever had her talk.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

StringOfLetters posted:

But Rogues who are kitted out to be good at murdering have to sacrifice a lot of survivability,
Rogue is no way squishy in this game. Streetfighter is one of the toughest classes in the game to kill. They are tanky murder machines.

StringOfLetters posted:

A Priest's best spells all target friendlies and can't miss, which means they scale very well on PotD. Dire Blessing and Devotions for the Faithful are two of the best, and not even that high leveled.

You would be way better off at casting Triumph of Crusaders over Devotions for the Faithful because it gives more strength and can fully heal your frontline when they get kills. Dire Blessing like other buffs kinda got a nerf in this game as they just give you a little stronger effects, you can get by just by casting blessing. Watchful Presence is most likely one of the priest's best skill hands down, scales well with high might, and has no duration. It goes off instantly when they hit near death making it one of the best reactive healing spells in the game.

Priest symbols still instagib rooms if you can get them before you defeat every hard fight. They last long and do insane damage.

For poe1 potd, it was widely known that spells that apply dots(Shining Beacon, Infestation of Maggots etc) greatly out damage spells that do flat damage(fireball).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What are their names? I know that there's one guy in the Wild Mare who has a day job and dialogue in the VTC building, and presumably can be talked to in the Mare as part of his quest. The lady in Port Maje I'm pretty sure is the governor's wife, but I dunno if I've ever had her talk.

I don't remember. You can speak to them but they just pop something up over their heads, nothing exceptional. They're definitely not for quests.
The Mare guy is upstairs near the stairs. He's got armour on. The one in dunnage is stood near a pillar quite close to the entrance, not far from Maneha.

Why have his wife there as a character with a name though? It seems so strange.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Speculation: there's there for in case you decide to murder the people they're near.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Taear posted:

I don't remember. You can speak to them but they just pop something up over their heads, nothing exceptional. They're definitely not for quests.
The Mare guy is upstairs near the stairs. He's got armour on. The one in dunnage is stood near a pillar quite close to the entrance, not far from Maneha.

Are you talking about Mefisto at the Wild Mare? Because that's a construct and it's a reference to Fisto from New Vegas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Octo1 posted:

Are you talking about Mefisto at the Wild Mare? Because that's a construct and it's a reference to Fisto from New Vegas.

Nope. Go upstairs and hold your pointer over the characters up there.
One of them has a name but no dialogue. It's an actual kith.

Chairchucker posted:

Speculation: there's there for in case you decide to murder the people they're near.

Why do they have names though? Why not just "Guard".

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Taear posted:

They say if you're ever in the presence of a serial killer that you should use your name a lot so they humanize you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Taear posted:

cause you asked them their names when you entered the room.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Taear posted:

Nope. Go upstairs and hold your pointer over the characters up there.
One of them has a name but no dialogue. It's an actual kith.

Maybe there was a tier to get your character in the game but explicitly not have backstory added.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There are a few scattered NPCs throughout the game who have names but no apparent quest hooks. It's weird.

Taear posted:

If you inspect the paintings in the Port Maje governor's house it talks about how his wife painted them.

My guess:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Speaking of names, it was fun to run through the palace and inspect these statues of notable Huana figures, and find out one of them was Ponamu Bird-Scorned. The greatest Huana explorer sold me his dead friend's magic hat and now is my boatswain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cheston posted:

Maybe there was a tier to get your character in the game but explicitly not have backstory added.

This is what I thought but it seems weird there's only around 6 of them. Maybe fewer!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Rogues are easy to use without getting them killed if you just start by using ranged weapons until all the bad guys are engaged with somebody else first. Then you go in with melee and make people explode over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

sean10mm posted:

Rogues are easy to use without getting them killed if you just start by using ranged weapons until all the bad guys are engaged with somebody else first. Then you go in with melee and make people explode over and over.

You can also sprinkle Escape liberally throughout tough encounters, especially if you have high Int. You can Escape to your current position and just take the Deflection buff for 3-5 seconds. This is more viable for int-heavy multiclasses though.