Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's been six weeks since I left Jakku and that can only mean one thing. Bring it in guys!

*every dead Jedi and protagonist from every episode and anthology film float in for a huge party*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's been six weeks since I left Jakku and that can only mean one thing. Bring it in guys!

*every dead Jedi and protagonist from every episode and anthology film float in for a huge party*

Can't wait to see all those dead Jedi from the Battle of Geonosis...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What about KotoR and SWTOR because those Jedi are canon too, iirc.

That is a LOT of dead Jedi.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

What about KotoR and SWTOR because those Jedi are canon too, iirc.

That is a LOT of dead Jedi.

They're in a weird place, because they're not canon themselves, but certain events of the canon (the Clone Wars series) make reference to them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So if one train carriage worth of coaxium can blow up half a mountain, how big would the explosion be from a whole train's worth?

That true, and it seems like maybe that could be weaponized to be at least somewhat as damaging as the low level Death Star blast from Rogue One.

I mean, I don't really care all that much, because yay explosion, just commenting because I finally saw Solo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Falcon becomes a literal ghost ship that haunts the Kessel Run?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I wish I liked Rian Johnson's movies as much as I like him

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So if one train carriage worth of coaxium can blow up half a mountain, how big would the explosion be from a whole train's worth?

Was the whole train carrying it? I thought they had to specifically target that carriage because the rest was full of other supplies like food and guns and other stuff you'd find in a military transport.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bruceski posted:

Was the whole train carrying it? I thought they had to specifically target that carriage because the rest was full of other supplies like food and guns and other stuff you'd find in a military transport.

I might have missed that, would explain things though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

According to the Star Wars comics, probably enough to knock a Star Destroyer out of commission

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today's gossip is that Iger is keen to remove Kathleen Kennedy and even offered Abrams (among others) the job, but nobody wants to take over Lucasfilm because it's too badly split between older employees on one hand and newer ones who are loyal to Kennedy on the other, and nobody's interested in assuming command of a divided camp. In the meantime, Kennedy has reportedly relinquished virtually all creative control over Episode IX to Abrams and is otherwise taking a step back.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 26, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kill the entire division, cancel episode 9, start again in a decade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Kill the entire division, cancel episode 9, start again in a decade.

I expect they'll be announcing the cancellation of Johnson's trilogy (and the Game of Thrones guys' movies) sometime next year whenever it is apposite to bury the news; probably around the time Infinity War 2 comes out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
TLJ is now on netflix. Should I watch it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Better to watch it yourself and form your own opinions than take anything anyone says on the internet at face value

Which also applies to the previous statement, so...

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I hate TLJ except when I watch it, then I think it's not so bad.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
If you haven't seen TLJ maybe marathon TFA and TLJ and let us know how well those two movies mesh together

See i hated TFA and i found TLJ watchable but the movie has plenty of odd moments some you don't notice while others are glaring and stick in your head. The big thing is the whiplash effect watch both movies back to back to see what i mean they don't blend well. Overall I'm just watching the star wars franchise turn into the terminator franchise at this point.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

Better to watch it yourself and form your own opinions than take anything anyone says on the internet at face value

Which also applies to the previous statement, so...

As a goon, I tell you that all goons are liars.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Startled bulb nose man would make one hell of an avatar

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today's gossip is that Iger is keen to remove Kathleen Kennedy and even offered Abrams (among others) the job, but nobody wants to take over Lucasfilm because it's too badly split between older employees on one hand and newer ones who are loyal to Kennedy on the other, and nobody's interested in assuming command of a divided camp. In the meantime, Kennedy has reportedly relinquished virtually all creative control over Episode IX to Abrams and is otherwise taking a step back.

I had a chance to talk with a journalist at a Hollywood trade and there is some validity to this. Not sure which parts are absolutely true, but it is certain that Iger is definitely en route to making some significant changes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised he has the time these days, given that the Fox deal looks like it's going to go through now.

Is it all down to Solo's production troubles and the resulting box office failure or are there issues that run deeper and Solo was just the catalyst for/excuse to start moving in this direction?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm surprised he has the time these days, given that the Fox deal looks like it's going to go through now.

Is it all down to Solo's production troubles and the resulting box office failure or are there issues that run deeper and Solo was just the catalyst for/excuse to start moving in this direction?

Iger also apparently has "the thinnest skin," and gets upset over any negative press, though I digress, but the big takeaway I had from this was the the management of the brand isn't trending the way Disney hoped, in addition to the non-stop production problems causing projects to go dramatically over-budget. Solo's gross isn't ideal, but it also shouldn't have cost nearly $300 million to produce and market. So what should have been a modest success is barely going to break even on the biggest brand in sci-fi.

As for the brand, I may have been reading too much into it, but Disney knows SW can't extend its life without younger fans. And right now, younger fans really aren't coming into the fold like they want. With two Star Wars Lands coming online in the next couple of years, that ship, of ALL the Disney IP, has to be running the best.

Bear in mind, this is one journalist's perspective. Albeit one who has been doing this for a very long time and sourced deeply.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doronin posted:

Bear in mind, this is one journalist's perspective. Albeit one who has been doing this for a very long time and sourced deeply.

Interesting if true. Is any of this online in any more detail or is it entirely insider stuff?

I wonder what they will try to course-correct? You mentioned young fans not biting as hard as they might like (I'm curious whether that was a problem for the prequels as well - I was one of those young fans in 1999-2005 so I have no idea) - my impression is that a lot of the things you see people complain about on the Internet aren't really the sort of things that must be urgently corrected to get the kids to turn out, so I'm not sure what the solution there is.

Of course, I have no idea what kids actually like these days. I guess they like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so I suppose the obvious answer is

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm rewatching The Last Jedi, because, why not, and I can't believe how many weird decisions they make. They introduce this whole 'beacon' thing between Leia and Rey right before First Order tracks them through hyperspace, of course indicating its the reason why Hux is able to track them, and then....they never address it. Its like a fully loaded Chekhovs Pistol that sits there, unfired, all movie.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm rewatching The Last Jedi, because, why not, and I can't believe how many weird decisions they make. They introduce this whole 'beacon' thing between Leia and Rey right before First Order tracks them through hyperspace, of course indicating its the reason why Hux is able to track them, and then....they never address it. Its like a fully loaded Chekhovs Pistol that sits there, unfired, all movie.

I’m super super easy on movies. I forgive pretty much anything and am good at turning off my brain when necessary to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

But this... this annoyed the HELL out of me. I’m not a smart man, so I generally don’t remember plot holes or the like once a movie is over, but when this ended all I could think off that stupid beacon thing.

What the gently caress?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd imagine something called a "cloaked binary beacon" in dialogue would do a decent job of not broadcasting a signal for Hux to track. It's only a Chekhov's Gun in the sense that it allows Rey to use her own beacon to find the Resistance survivors at the end of the film.

edit: My first thought when they introduced them was actually that of the closed-system, quantum entanglement communicators in Mass Effect. Not quite the same use, but a similar concept in that a holder of the beacon would be able to discern a paired beacon's location, no matter where it was.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 27, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

eyebeem posted:

I’m super super easy on movies. I forgive pretty much anything and am good at turning off my brain when necessary to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

But this... this annoyed the HELL out of me. I’m not a smart man, so I generally don’t remember plot holes or the like once a movie is over, but when this ended all I could think off that stupid beacon thing.

What the gently caress?

Almost every plot hole nerds shouted out can be explained in the film. Like that ownage fucker who was making up everything for some reason was completely wrong in every possible way.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I would have appreciated some foreshadowing of the hyperspace ram by having someone say that the Big Evil ship has no shields because they'd interfere with the hyperspace tracking, which would also explain why nobody does this any other time

Nothing else in Tlj seems like that big of a deal

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It sucks when Alien never foreshadowed the Alien Queen. It’s a huge plot hole that xenomorphs suddenly have a solid creator of the Alien eggs.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interesting if true. Is any of this online in any more detail or is it entirely insider stuff?

I wonder what they will try to course-correct? You mentioned young fans not biting as hard as they might like (I'm curious whether that was a problem for the prequels as well - I was one of those young fans in 1999-2005 so I have no idea) - my impression is that a lot of the things you see people complain about on the Internet aren't really the sort of things that must be urgently corrected to get the kids to turn out, so I'm not sure what the solution there is.

Of course, I have no idea what kids actually like these days. I guess they like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so I suppose the obvious answer is

Anecdotally, it sucked being a young fan in the Prequel era. I had a few friends who liked Star Wars, but on the whole, admitting you enjoyed anything of the then-current films was basically painting a big "I'M A DORK, BULLY ME" sign on your tween back.

Relative to that, it certainly seems that TCW was far more successful in expanding the younger portion of the fanbase.

And as far as course-correcting goes, there's not much to be done besides catering even further to the nostalgia-minded audience. The rumor is that Johnson's trilogy is going to be made with an "all-ages" focus, so if they keep him around, there's another opportunity to attract younger fans.

I will say though, that (again, anecdotally speaking) kids seem to be digging the sequels at least. I'll never forget walking out of TLJ in front of a mom who was angrily losing her poo poo about Luke dying while her son verbally shrugged and talked about how cool the Yoda cameo was.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

Anecdotally, it sucked being a young fan in the Prequel era. I had a few friends who liked Star Wars, but on the whole, admitting you enjoyed anything of the then-current films was basically painting a big "I'M A DORK, BULLY ME" sign on your tween back.

What? They were very popular films, especially with children. I’m pretty sure bullies don’t pick their targets by their taste in Star Wars films. (If they did life would just be a little bit funnier.)

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

ungulateman posted:

I would have appreciated some foreshadowing of the hyperspace ram by having someone say that the Big Evil ship has no shields because they'd interfere with the hyperspace tracking, which would also explain why nobody does this any other time

Nothing else in Tlj seems like that big of a deal

There is foreshadowing of the ram, just not like that. When Leia floats back through the destroyed bridge, she floats directly through the hologram of Snoke's ship, which breaks up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

What? They were very popular films, especially with children. I'm pretty sure bullies don't pick their targets by their taste in Star Wars films. (If they did life would just be a little bit funnier.)

Not solely, no, but if you really believe that kids don't often bully other kids for the most inconsequential poo poo (such as "liking the prequels") then I dunno what to tell you.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
drat that is a nerdy rear end reason to pick on someone

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cargohills posted:

What? They were very popular films, especially with children. I’m pretty sure bullies don’t pick their targets by their taste in Star Wars films. (If they did life would just be a little bit funnier.)

Yeah that was not what it was like. We all loved the prequels and the characters and pretended to be them on the playground often.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guiness13 posted:

There is foreshadowing of the ram, just not like that. When Leia floats back through the destroyed bridge, she floats directly through the hologram of Snoke's ship, which breaks up.

https://twitter.com/Josh_Scully/status/1003996810749173762

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah that was not what it was like. We all loved the prequels and the characters and pretended to be them on the playground often.

Does calling someone 'Count Dooku' qualify as making fun of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

To be honest, I have no idea if this is online anywhere. Outside of this chance encounter at a work function, I pretty much rely on official Star Wars announcements, trades (THR and Variety) and whatever gets linked to at this message board for the majority of my SW news. I don't often go digging around too much anymore. Especially in the post-TLJ landscape because basic stuff like, "Lucasfilm announces female casting" turns into eleventy-thousand tweets and YouTube videos of "FEMALE CASTING HERALDS DEATH OF SW" and I just can't anymore.

And I'm with you, I don't know what kids like or what metrics Disney is using to even come to that conclusion. I'd be really interested to see insights on that aspect of their marketing and research.