Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

What's knife only like in RE7

Bad times. It can be done (molded can be easily beaten with the knife when ammo is in a pinch and you have no choice), but hell if I’m gonna attempt Jacks final form with it.

Also to those who can do it in Madhouse... HOW?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drunken Baker posted:

I can be beaten over the head over and over with how RE5 and 6 are better games than 4, but I'll never get it. There's something to 4 that bring me (and others) back again and again and all I can think of is it has something to do with the weapons. Like, I've done countless runs with only 1 weapon (Red9 being the golden choice, obviously) but with 5 and 6 I've never had the same inclination. (Can you even do that in 6?) Never done a knife run in 4 though... I mean, obviously you'd have to cheat for a few key parts. But y'know...

Except for the graphics 5 is noticeably worse than 4 on almost every level so I'm in the same boat as you. I hated 6 but can understand if someone really gets into all the melee stuff you can do.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I always thought having your spine smashed into an electric console by Mr.X was way harder to explain surviving.

I remember at the time the game was out the fan theory was that she was an android or infected with something herself. Part of this is because during the brief time you get to play as her her health is quite a bit higher than anyone else in the game. But I'm glad that officially she's just awesome and determined.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 25, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only game I condone using the knife in regular play for anyone is Code Veronica because holy poo poo does it do a lot of damage. Also if you hold it in some cutscenes you'll note it's HUGE.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SettingSun posted:

The only game I condone using the knife in regular play for anyone is Code Veronica because holy poo poo does it do a lot of damage. Also if you hold it in some cutscenes you'll note it's HUGE.

Plus the kneecap trick!

If anyone's playing it for the first time check this out. Basically the way the knife works is that instead of doing __ damage per hit, it does __ damage repeatedly until the animation finishes passing through an enemy. For a lot of enemies this isn't too important since they tend to get jump around/attack too fast/whatever once you hit them. But with regular zombies you can slash downwards as they approach you, if you time it so that you slash across their knees it will do enough damage to instantly make them fall over. But then, as they first fall to their knees, with proper timing you can do a regular old standing slash and it will hit their head multiple times as they fall down, typically killing them. But even if it doesn't, due to the way the knife's damage works slashing zombies on the ground will kill them pretty quick. So you could conceivably never use your firearm on regular zombies.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Spiffster posted:

Also to those who can do it in Madhouse... HOW?!?

I've been binging on people doing crazy runs of the games and some people have to a fine art. It's insane!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never beaten CV. Rented it on PS2 once but after RE3 that same old formula.. It was just worn out for me. But then I watched Weskers Report last night and there's all these clearly important scenes I'm missing so I'm gonna have to go back and do it too.

5>6 all day every day. And no one has to justify their love of 4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus the kneecap trick!

If anyone's playing it for the first time check this out. Basically the way the knife works is that instead of doing __ damage per hit, it does __ damage repeatedly until the animation finishes passing through an enemy. For a lot of enemies this isn't too important since they tend to get jump around/attack too fast/whatever once you hit them. But with regular zombies you can slash downwards as they approach you, if you time it so that you slash across their knees it will do enough damage to instantly make them fall over. But then, as they first fall to their knees, with proper timing you can do a regular old standing slash and it will hit their head multiple times as they fall down, typically killing them. But even if it doesn't, due to the way the knife's damage works slashing zombies on the ground will kill them pretty quick. So you could conceivably never use your firearm on regular zombies.

It's actually really powerful against Hunters too. Two swipes will kill a Hunter easily in Code Veronica. About the only time I'd recommend you don't use the knife are against boss fights but you'll have saved up so much ammo using the knife that bosses aren't even an issue.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The rite of passage into Resident Evil Pro-hood is knifing Alexia's first form.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lunethex posted:

The rite of passage into Resident Evil Pro-hood is knifing Alexia's first form.

She just wants to hug your throat one handed... what’s the worst that can happen?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
5 is infinitely better than 4 because it has the best coop in the series. It's one of the best couch coop games ever.

I guess if you're a nofriend haver, 4 is better.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Klaus Kinski posted:

5 is infinitely better than 4

:goofy:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

While it has fun co-op, there are many bits that are just absolute bullshit.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Klaus Kinski posted:

5 is infinitely better than 4 because it has the best coop in the series. It's one of the best couch coop games ever.

I guess if you're a nofriend haver, 4 is better.

Imagine being enough of a loser that making this statement like seemed like some kind of checkmate in your head.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

4 is better than 5 and 6, but 6 is better than 5.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

While it has fun co-op, there are many bits that are just absolute bullshit.

Get good.

:smuggo:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nohman posted:

Imagine being enough of a loser that making this statement like seemed like some kind of checkmate in your head.

Just stating facts, when it's between a highly average but cult favorite tps and one of the best coop games ever, it's not even a contest.

e: oh and I fully agree that 5 is pretty bad solo.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 25, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lol yeah okay dude resident evil 4 is a "cult favorite"

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

man nurse posted:

lol yeah okay dude resident evil 4 is a "cult favorite"

5 sold almost 3 times more copies

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Resident Evil 4 was ported to 13 loving platforms: GameCube, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Nintendo Wii, WiiU, iOS, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Zeebo, au, and Android. I'm sure over time it sold as much or more as RE5.

Compared to 6 platforms for RE5....I mean there's really no question which game was the favorite of the "new" trilogy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that's how you know the OUYA was a failure, it didn't have RE4

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I'd say that's what makes it a cult game. Grognards buying 10 remakes/remasters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'd say that's what makes it a cult game. Grognards buying 10 remakes/remasters.

Klaus Kinski posted:

RE6 complete pack is 80% off on steam right now (it's re6+some lovely mp dlc noone plays). To spite some re1-3 loving grognards I'll gift one copy to someone deserving, first one to post email or steamid gets it.

Klaus Kinski posted:

This happens roughly every other page. lovely grognard points out how good old_shit_re_game was and then someone posts sales numbers with 456 on top.

loving GROGNARDS

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

loving GROGNARDS
Yeah a guy named Klaus Kinski should definitely be using harsher, more varied language and perhaps be claiming to be an earthbound deity of some kind.

Step up your game, Kinski.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
commercial success doesn't necessarily correspond to quality, but every so often in this thread the same few people try to pretend that 5&6 didn't sell well because they don't like them.

there's also one guy who always extends that to 4, as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sales don't verify anything but sales. I love 5, more than most people do, but it's not as good as 4. I can't believe people in this thread are defending 6 much less say it's better than its 2 prequels. You must be infected with the T virus

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lunethex posted:

Get good.

:smuggo:

Nah, they're easy, but they're just boring or time consuming. The opening few chapters are fun, but the ending up until the Wesker fights was bad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only part in RE5 I think is outright bad is that African savannah caravan thing that ends with fighting the big monster.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Policenaut posted:

The only part in RE5 I think is outright bad is that African savannah caravan thing that ends with fighting the big monster.

The wesker fight where you have to get the rocket launcher is pretty poo poo as well, there's no indication that whatever you're doing is progressing the fight at all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In all seriousness, RE5 has the worst Story Levels in the series. The main game loving sucks for about 70% of the run time, the levels are just bland and incredibly boring to play. Chapter 1-1 to Chapter 2-2 are good. The worst part of the game is the turret section, definitely, just lame after you do it enough. Chapter 3-1 and Chapter 3-2 are pretty decent, but the part with Josh and the Boat is bad. Then all of Chapter 4 is Bad. Super low points. chapter 5-1, 5-2 are boring, Chapter 5-3 is Wesker but the whole level is a toll booth to getting to him. Chapters 6-1, 6-2 are lame, and 6-3 is of course Wesker which makes it good.

All the DLC is fantastic. Except versus.

That being said, The Mercenaries is top tier, but only 3 maps are good. Public Assembly, The Mines, and Prison. The rest are really bad, worst of them being Experimental Facility.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

codo27 posted:

Sales don't verify anything but sales. I love 5, more than most people do, but it's not as good as 4. I can't believe people in this thread are defending 6 much less say it's better than its 2 prequels. You must be infected with the T virus

that's not what i said. calling people dumb doesn't work very well when you demonstrate you can barely read.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unlike a lot of people I think RE6 was pretty good, but I really liked the over the top wrestling action and set pieces.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv It's really because of that. :getin:

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 25, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Man this thread is fuckin' old. I remember making these back when I joined SA.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

SettingSun posted:

Unlike a lot of people I think RE6 was pretty good, but I really liked the over the top wrestling action and set pieces.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv It's really because of that. :getin:

As weird as it sounds, I think the faster gameplay made me enjoy it less. 4 & 5 are clunky as poo poo, but it's polished clunk that meshes so well with the zombies. Also it dragged on forever even if there was a ton of craycray setpieces. And the snowmobile section, gently caress that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think a lot of people started playing re6 and never really learned how the melee system worked because the game never explained poo poo about it. that's a terrible idea! as for the rest, it's such a mixed bag that opinions vary an awful lot even by popular video game series standards. if you like some parts enough the parts you don't like seem less important, and vice versa.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lunethex posted:

In all seriousness, RE5 has the worst Story Levels in the series. The main game loving sucks for about 70% of the run time, the levels are just bland and incredibly boring to play. Chapter 1-1 to Chapter 2-2 are good. The worst part of the game is the turret section, definitely, just lame after you do it enough. Chapter 3-1 and Chapter 3-2 are pretty decent, but the part with Josh and the Boat is bad. Then all of Chapter 4 is Bad. Super low points. chapter 5-1, 5-2 are boring, Chapter 5-3 is Wesker but the whole level is a toll booth to getting to him. Chapters 6-1, 6-2 are lame, and 6-3 is of course Wesker which makes it good.

All the DLC is fantastic. Except versus.

That being said, The Mercenaries is top tier, but only 3 maps are good. Public Assembly, The Mines, and Prison. The rest are really bad, worst of them being Experimental Facility.

I felt like once you got past the first wesker fight the game got better aside from the autoscroller type sections. Yeah, they add the enemies with guns but the encounters are generally more difficult and interesting, culminating in the engine room, which is the best sequence in 4/5.

I found the melee to be more genuinely interesting in 5 than 4.

I wish 6 had more varied set pieces but i found mercs to be fun. At its core, the RE6 gameplay was fine, it just wasn't helped by the scenario design.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

5's worst moment was definitely when you have to go through that cave and for some reason instead of a little flashlight like Leon has in 4 one player has to use all of their might to carry a massively huge generator lamp.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Neo Rasa posted:

5's worst moment was definitely when you have to go through that cave and for some reason instead of a little flashlight like Leon has in 4 one player has to use all of their might to carry a massively huge generator lamp.

That was so dumb.

I mean you realize when you've played the game before that you never need it but that was such a forced coop thing.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Panzeh posted:

That was so dumb.

I mean you realize when you've played the game before that you never need it but that was such a forced coop thing.

And then they decided that was interesting enough to basically make into half of rev 2. Such disappointment going from the crowbar of doom to point girl.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
All resident evil games are good, friends. yes, even that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

All resident evil games are good, friends. yes, even that one.
I'm sorry but Survivor 2 does not have any redeeming qualities at all.