Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ghosted is a lot better as a bizarre workplace comedy. That scene with Ava and the martinis at the end of the latest episode might be the funniest thing the show's ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Black Mirror season 5 is looking great

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How isn't the Get Shorty show by itself and in comparison to the movie?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl all I saw was the end of that url and thought this was about the drag race finale on thursday

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I'm severely triggered that wherever that c/p came from they spelled espresso 'expresso'. Or said it out loud idk is it a monologue or stand up bit? lmao

it was transcribed, yeah. it's part of Ivan Stang's "drug rant" from roughly a million years ago.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:stare:

What is the world?

What is real?

Am I real?

Video gamesesesesesesesesesessssflofrriglojiojierov

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUN0lDk0CcA

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How is Cooking On High a real show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Because weed is legal in CA and cooking shows are cheap to make.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'll start to worry when they do Cooking on High Junior

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I won't. Blaze it up kids.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Weed is actually pretty bad for kids tho. Cannabinoid receptors are used for neural pathway targeting and it’s not good to mess with that system while it’s still working

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey so I loved Preacher the comic but season 1 was a bore. I couldn't get past episode 3 or something. I saw a trailer introducing Herr Starr and I wanna get back into it. Any good jumping on points where I could just read a synopsis of what happened before? Most importantly, does it pick up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Weed is actually pretty bad for kids tho. Cannabinoid receptors are used for neural pathway targeting and it’s not good to mess with that system while it’s still working

Hold down kids and blow bong smoke in their faces, imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Hey so I loved Preacher the comic but season 1 was a bore. I couldn't get past episode 3 or something. I saw a trailer introducing Herr Starr and I wanna get back into it. Any good jumping on points where I could just read a synopsis of what happened before? Most importantly, does it pick up?

It doesn’t pick up. It’s such a slog. I finally decided to quit halfway through the season 3 premiere and I’m so glad I did. I honestly can’t urge you to stay away from it enough. The guy who plays Starr is perfect though

hi precision, no it isn’t good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's definitely a slog, but the good parts make it worth it IMO :shrug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

How is Cooking On High a real show.

Wasn't it inevitable? I'd be more surprised if it was actually any good, and it was not. Adding a small amount of weed butter or oil to something does not make a compelling cooking show. I'm certain next time I go to the bougie dispensary it'll be on the TVs though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't want trump to urinate on me ._.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Croatoan posted:

Episode 7 is the Starr flashback episode which is good, but only because it's cribbed straight from the comic. The rest of it is poo poo and not worth watching. I'm not going to bother with season 3 at all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The season 3 premiere was sooo good, I just know that the rest of the season won't hold up.

(They're going to spend the whole time on the plantation, I just know it)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I quit because even though the premiere itself wasn’t bad, the way they introduced everyone made it clear this was a very long haul sort of thing. I was tempted to keep going just for the Grail stuff, but then I’d have to sit through weeks of Jesse doing whatever his grandma is forcing him to do that week

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flatscan posted:

Episode 7 is the Starr flashback episode which is good, but only because it's cribbed straight from the comic. The rest of it is poo poo and not worth watching. I'm not going to bother with season 3 at all.

Season 2? Any other episodes that stand out so I can enjoy a little Preacher itch without the slog?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Croatoan posted:

Season 2?

Yup. There's also an amusing subplot with Arseface befriending Hitler in hell, but like everything else it drags on way too long and doesn't really go anywhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've pretty much accepted that Preacher is never going to be the road trip show I wanted it to be and that the best they can do on their budget is set each season in a different location and have the cast gently caress around. I think the show is entertaining enough where it's not too much of a dealbreaker for me, but I don't blame anyone familiar with the comics or interested in the show's plot for dropping it

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's such a bummer because in the comics it's one hell of a ride. The show completely lost that and I'm not sure why. Seems like it could have been awesome.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
let's just blame Seth Rogen

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Croatoan posted:

It's such a bummer because in the comics it's one hell of a ride. The show completely lost that and I'm not sure why. Seems like it could have been awesome.

It's expensive to shoot in different locales.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked it just foine, meself.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's expensive to shoot in different locales.

lol no it’s not necessarily, just lazy. Shooting on location every day is hard and crews don’t like it, but plenty of cheaper shows I work on do it. Building new sets every two weeks is expensive tho

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Consider the "It's on AMC" factor as well. They're stingy even with Walking Dead, let alone FTWD or Better Call Saul. Preacher probably gets a budget of $100 per episode.

E: I liked Season 2 in general though it had its flaws. Haven't watched S3 premiere yet.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I worked on Happy and it was 90% on location. It’s doable for a mid-budget show (and especially one that doesn’t need big expensive set pieces like luxury hotels or skyscrapers), just a pain in the rear end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I've mostly enjoyed Westworld this season but I'm not really sure I like the direction they're setting things up to go in for Season 3.

So the rest of the show is essentially going to be Caprica? I'm kind of put off by how it looks like they're going all in on a really reductive, misanthropic take on human consciousness, where hosts are objectively superior to humans because they can change their minds about things but humans are somehow too rigid in their thinking to ever truly change their behavior. It's framed by the show as something that is objectively true but Sizemore's character arc shows the exact opposite, with him initially treating the hosts as objects but eventually viewing the hosts as equals and sacrificing his own life to save Maeve and her crew. Maybe that's point and Maeve will prove that Ford/Dolores/Bernard/The Forge are full of poo poo, but I'm really not looking forward to a full season of Dolores smugly justifying genocide.

You're not alone

quote:

As measured by Nielsen, Westworld’s linear audience (including those who watched via DVR within three days of the Sunday premieres) averaged around 2.4 million viewers this spring, down 16 percent from a similar measurement period in fall 2016. Even when streaming and video-on-demand audiences are tallied, the series appears on track to experience a similar decline: HBO estimates the cumulative audience for this season is right around 10 million viewers, down from 12 million in 2016.

The show is making a fatal mistake of relying on clever writerly tricks when they're plotting is so obviously haphazard and seat of the pants.

e:

nate fisher posted:

Finished season 1 of Billions. While the show has some great acting, so far it is nothing more than a cable version of a prime time soap opera like Dallas or Dynasty. So many of the decisions by the characters are made just create more drama for the show. Still I’m enjoying it in as a guilty pleasure. I keep hoping that the writing will pick up, and try for something more.

I watched 2 episodes of season 2, and honestly I just can’t motivate myself to watch the rest at this time. I’m sure I will sometime this summer, but I have always felt like WW is nowhere as deep as it wants to be.

Yeah I could have told you that before you start. Billions is a dumb person's idea of a smart show.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 26, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You see me make that sick trade Bro? I gots to get me a lambo with those dividend gainzzzz.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Possibly having nearly two years between seasons without 10 weeks of advertising with game of thrones a few months prior to the release could have done something for the awareness of the show.

It's hard to blame a downtown in the season premiere on the writing of the whole season since it didn't happen yet. The most likely case is that people just moved on and forgot about the show until the season was half done and they'll get to it when they get to it (if at all.)

What's actually telling is that the season didn't decline further as it went on, so people seemed satisfied enough with the story to stick with it if they started watching it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shageletic posted:

The show is making a fatal mistake of relying on clever writerly tricks when they're plotting is so obviously haphazard and seat of the pants.

I'll always wonder if I would've liked S1 more if they revealed two timeframes after a few episodes at most instead of the whole season.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

I feel like the writers got too impressed with themselves after the two major twists in Season 1 and decided that they needed to make Season 2 even twistier than the last to keep r/westworld busy. It's kind of absurd how much of Season 2 is weirdly paced and obtusely structured for the sole purpose of having a "gotcha" moment in the finale that isn't even particularly impactful. The reason why the William/MIB and Bernard/Arnold twists worked in Season 1 was because there was an emotional impact and it recontextualized the characters in interesting ways, not because they were surprising. It's really disappointing that Nolan/Joy are obsessed with turning Westworld into the new Lost, because it really doesn't play into the show's strengths at all.

In a weird way, I think that CBS forcing Person of Interest to be a network procedural ended up being a good thing, because it forced the writers to focus on writing coherent stories with a well-developed cast instead of immediately trying to go full puzzle-box mode.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Click this, it's by the maker of Too Many Cooks and while it's not as fresh as that was when it came out, it's still pretty interesting and worth a watch.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Superrodan posted:

Click this, it's by the maker of Too Many Cooks and while it's not as fresh as that was when it came out, it's still pretty interesting and worth a watch.

It's not bad but the 'twist' was super obvious and 'gamers are losers distracting themselves from the meaninglessness of their lives' is a tired punchline even when it isn't coming from the people who built their brand on anime and lolrandom stoner cartoons.

So I guess it really is like Black Mirror Season 5.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Politics makes for strange bedfellows

https://mobile.twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1011755543218671616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Superrodan posted:

Is it the same people? Infomercials is a series that’s usually different people each episode. They’re all standalones, and there’s a good amount of them.