Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh, cool I can watch it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoRMaK posted:

surely those people died :stare:

I was thinking that was gonna happen but if you watch it through it looks like they got ultra lucky and it managed to keep enough lift to set them down gently.

There's a chance the power lines fried them, but its also pretty possible that they were okay, just scared as gently caress. The materials the basket and chute are made from won't conduct electricity after all.

I didn't see anybody drop from the basket, at least.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a chance the power lines fried them, but its also pretty possible that they were okay, just scared as gently caress. The materials the basket and chute are made from won't conduct electricity after all.

Even then the arc flash from that could have screwed that guy up. Looks like the basket protected him though. Still, that’s a lucky human being right there.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Memento posted:

Trump told the mayor of a disappearing island not to worry about sea-level rise -- these photos show how grave the situation has become

Tangiers Island in Chesepeake Bay is literally disappearing under the waves. But Climate Change is a Chinese hoax so we better vote for Trump!

Gonna be funny when there are multiple zipcodes pointing to "a floating trailerpark off the coast of Florida" where residents constantly argue over whose sewage they're standing in.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Good that he landed in the lake, to clean out his pants.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Jfc no kidding. I'd have been more afraid of the electricity than the drop, but I also help put together PSAs for electrical safety and get to hear stories of guys losing limbs or getting their sternum burned out because they weren't careful/didn't look out for power lines.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

Jfc no kidding. I'd have been more afraid of the electricity than the drop, but I also help put together PSAs for electrical safety and get to hear stories of guys losing limbs or getting their sternum burned out because they weren't careful/didn't look out for power lines.

Yeah, if I knew I was drifting into power lines, I'd probably consider jumping.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

The bookstore made famous first by Portlandia, then by its kicking Portlandia out in a manner that out-parodied the parody, is closing its doors. Why? I have no loving idea, let them tell it:

https://inotherwords.org/2018/06/04/a-wake-to-rest-an-end-with-new-beginnings/

I know the owners of the art gallery next door to them, and AFAIK they just weren't great business owners. They kept half the space as a book store and the other half as a meeting place for groups (feminist groups, social justice meetings, yoga, etc) and didn't charge them to use it.
There were many times I would be at the gallery and the book store was closed. No signs of why. Just not open when the hours on the door said they'd be. Multiple people would try and enter, only to be met with confusion.
The gallery owners tried to help them, but AFAIK most of their suggestions fell on deaf ears.
They were actually pretty nice people. They just made poor business decisions.

E: This was around 1-2 years ago, too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

yea I thought they were done looking at how big the glow was from the arc and the sound. Thats an insane sound that you only hear in a specifc circumstance.

quote:

“The sound of a transformer blowing is something you will never forget,” Karrick said. “It was soul-shaking. It was so loud.”
yea you said it bud. Put that on my list of sounds I'd like to experience (from a safe distance) in person, next to the space shuttle launching :smith: You rarely get that change to experience to that much energy and not die

e: it ROSE so quickly after the power lines. Was it because all that hot arc air? Too bad he didn't have that just a couple minutes earlier - he could have avoided the lines altogether

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Jun 27, 2018

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

MizPiz posted:

It's also the classic "hot girl likes game; hot girl will like me because I like game (and give her things)"

https://i.imgur.com/m8jGzHR.mp4

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

KoRMaK posted:

e: it ROSE so quickly after the power lines. Was it because all that hot arc air? Too bad he didn't have that just a couple minutes earlier - he could have avoided the lines altogether

They were running the burner full blast for a few seconds, presumably trying to gain buoyancy and not crash, so the balloon probably achieved enough lift for net upward force before the impact but already had too much downward momentum and hot air balloons generally don't have brakes.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Memento posted:

Trump told the mayor of a disappearing island not to worry about sea-level rise -- these photos show how grave the situation has become

Tangiers Island in Chesepeake Bay is literally disappearing under the waves. But Climate Change is a Chinese hoax so we better vote for Trump!

quote:

“They say in about 100 years this island’s gonna be disappeared, but I’m not going to college — I’m going to work on the water here,” one young Tangier Island resident told Business Insider in 2014. “I’m not going to be living in another 100 years either.”

And nothing of value was lost.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tony Snark posted:

Yeah, it sounds like the island has kinda become obsolete. It has no real industry except fishing and that's already been dying off due to restrictions to prevent overfishing (shock, horror). If the water didn't swallow it up, it would probably have been just a slower death.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Content.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

This is like a Wile E. Coyote stunt. Jesus.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
For future conservative tears Schaden:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1011560114116063232

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1011789112129486853

(anti-ICE candidate won)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I also saw a post the other day that said she kept getting referred to as "Crowley's opponent" in headlines rather than having her name in them, so I'm glad she's winning.

e: Even that AP post just says by his challenger. What the hell?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

She won by 15 points. :woop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I, Challenger, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I, Challenger, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Her attention certainly is blowing up!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tony Snark posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it sounds like the island has kinda become obsolete. It has no real industry except fishing and that's already been dying off due to restrictions to prevent overfishing (shock, horror). If the water didn't swallow it up, it would probably have been just a slower death.

Please reassure me that you understand that that's not the point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besesoth posted:

I understand that it's not the point while also saying that the island was probably dead in 50 years anyway.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Data Graham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp83JZg0hU4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hey maybe there were other more important things that got their economy in a lovely situation where it couldn't grow or evolve

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Besesoth posted:

It's noted white-noise poster chitolay12. They're basically a Wikipedia "see also" section in goon form. Understanding the point is not their thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/kayleighmcenany...r%3D3365%23pti5

Who's gonna tell her?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why can't creepy weirdos go back to falling in love with strippers instead of Twitch streamers? I at least understand falling in love with strippers because they put their naked boobies in your face.

I'm not sure if its still the case but even after the wear a shirt rule on twitch. alot of female streamers were either straight up trolls getting angry mra's to donate to them because they had their chat on lock down and it was the only way to "insult them" or hey if you subscribe ill pm you my snapchat. I imagine theres alot of cross over between cam work and streaming for the second group of women streamers. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if alot of the more attractive male streamers do it to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Data Graham posted:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Memento posted:

loving christ. Even the people who LIVE the changes refuse to accept it. That's really disheartening and a bad omen for the rest of America.

quote:

To persuade some of the town’s residents to take action, a group of Republican climate activists went to the island in August.

“We’ll talk to everybody,” Eskridge said. “But they’re not going to change many minds here.”

According to Eskridge, most residents reject climate change. Many would prefer to receive a new seawall than consider the long-term effects of carbon emissions on sea-level rise.

“They say in about 100 years this island’s gonna be disappeared, but I’m not going to college — I’m going to work on the water here,” one young Tangier Island resident told Business Insider in 2014. “I’m not going to be living in another 100 years either.”

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"Just build a wall, what can go wrong"

-- A loving moron, 2018

(yes, yes, don't sign your posts)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gschmidl posted:

"Just build a wall, what can go wrong"

-- A loving moron, 2018

(yes, yes, don't sign your posts)

Hey, it works for the Dutch. I'm gonna ring them up and tell them they need a whole bunch of huge dikes up in there

Edit: the phone call did not go well

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zesty posted:

loving christ. Even the people who LIVE the changes refuse to accept it. That's really disheartening and a bad omen for the rest of America.

Yeah... Not terribly surprised by any of that rhetoric. Grew up in rural Pennsylvania. Conservative chucklefucks abound. Once they believe something, that's basically the perpetual truth to them. It's pretty endemic across most of the United States tbh, and I'm sure it's something of a global phenomenon. People are stupid.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Over the weekend NZ played vs England in a rugby league match in Denver, Colarado as a sort of show case for the sport. I genuinely laughed when listening to the lady singing the NZ national anthem before the game.

Annoyingly I can't find the raw footage without the silly news caster voice overs. Even if this is the first time you heard the anthem you will be able to notice it's awful (but hilarious).

e-

I actually found it on twitter instead of youtube.

https://twitter.com/benharlum/status/1010628718765727746

- the news clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ReFO1kOTE

Jippa has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Jun 27, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

chitoryu12 posted:

Who's gonna tell her?

Different sort of red.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A car towing a caravan loses control and the caravan collapses like a house of cards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxaK6It5WEk

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The dems are so upset lol

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1011943026481131520?s=21

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

let me assure you that virginia voted blue in the last several elections and tangier would be hosed even if there was still a democrat in office.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

im pooping! posted:

let me assure you that virginia voted blue in the last several elections and tangier would be hosed even if there was still a democrat in office.

Yup! Even if they all say "Oh man, climate change is real" what the gently caress is that gonna change for them? They're still gonna need a new sea wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup! Even if they all say "Oh man, climate change is real" what the gently caress is that gonna change for them? They're still gonna need a new sea wall.

They're gonna need a bigger boat. :shrug: