Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
all of the negative reviews for my company are sales people :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

turns out sales were ... right?

felt weird typing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

just skim them and see what they actually say

most reviews should have the tone “eh it’s ok I guess :shrug:
80% of them are "its ok, benefits could be better, management doesnt listen or communicate well but you work with some good people, they should have a better work/life balance and promote more from within"

the ones that are disgruntled axegrinding are funny as hell

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Blinkz0rz posted:

:hellyeah: now I have a new metric

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FMguru posted:

the ones that are disgruntled axegrinding are funny as hell

Those are the only ones I read, if enough of them have the same gripes I consider it an issue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still better than ordering hr drones to make poo poo up
oh im sure they do that too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The 2nd guy I interviewed this week was better than the first and I recommended him for hire. He looks like an old timey train conductor a little bit, which although a positive trait did not influence my decision.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Job I got by being a nerd is going very loving well.

Culture and clicking matters wwaaaayyy more than industry or tech stack poo poo.

That said airplanes are cool.

Also imposter effect from $job[-1] is gone because a decent place that lets you relax makes you work much better. I've been told I'm "tearing through work".

Lol

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
When it comes to Glassdoor, focus on the negative reviews for the past two years and identify the common themes. No matter how great a place is, there will always be people who hate it and will leave a negative review. When you have dozens of people leaving a negative review with the same trends, it indicates a problem and if it's long term, it means the company isn't working to address it.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I had some dumb recruiter pester me for a current salary even though it is against the law to ask that here

edit: turns out it doesnt go into effect until next week, haha.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

the types of employers who do ask previous salary are a) not worth working for anyways and b) probably not going to be discouraged from continuing to ask when there's only a minuscule chance they'll face any monetary damages from doing so in the event they're ever actually reported.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
yeah, I think it was just the 3rd party recruiter being a clueless.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
should I feel guilty if I take the first job offer I get, if it happens to be a good one? out of places that I've applied to similar to this role, this one is at by far the best company and by far the best location (portland OR vs places like AZ, TX). obvious downside is lack of negotiating power, but im entry level with not much else to offer, and the offer is pretty excellent for my field.

the main downside im seeing is that I didn't really apply outside my field or at smaller companies, as I was planning on doing that after I graduated. so even if I did have other offers then they'd all be within the same industry and role, and this current offer would still be better.

im not in CS but i am in engineering, at a company that yospos and sh/sc like to make fun of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cerious posted:

should I feel guilty if I take the first job offer I get, if it happens to be a good one? out of places that I've applied to similar to this role, this one is at by far the best company and by far the best location (portland OR vs places like AZ, TX). obvious downside is lack of negotiating power, but im entry level with not much else to offer, and the offer is pretty excellent for my field.

the main downside im seeing is that I didn't really apply outside my field or at smaller companies, as I was planning on doing that after I graduated. so even if I did have other offers then they'd all be within the same industry and role, and this current offer would still be better.

im not in CS but i am in engineering, at a company that yospos and sh/sc like to make fun of.

Wait, you work for Boeing?

:(

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, you work for Boeing?

:(

no, semiconductors. That should narrow it down a lot more

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cerious posted:

no, semiconductors. That should narrow it down a lot more

hello fellow samsung employee. I haven’t worked there in a decade but i feel your pain.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

hello fellow samsung employee. I haven’t worked there in a decade but i feel your pain.

I mean intel in OR, on the silicon side of things.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

you can always quit before you start but that’s a bit of a stinky move imo

im biting my nails a bit right now because the job i accepted gave me a tentative start date of july 16 but they haven’t confirmed it yet and I just got my new apartment reserved so I might be in for some lols

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Shaman Linavi posted:

you can always quit before you start but that’s a bit of a stinky move imo

I haven't accepted yet, they've given me until the 5th to decide. It'd be easier to decide if I had any other offers but I have none so far. So if I turn it down it's going to be a long while until I hear back from anyone else.

I'm pretty sure I'll take it, it's just that I have explored so few other options and I have very little interview experience under my belt as well. This was only my second on-site interview, and the first was for an uninteresting/low paying role that I used exclusively as practice. I've never made it further for any other fabs in the states.

cerious fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 30, 2018

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
you landed a well paying, well located role in a big name company with little effort, and are asking if you should turn it down?

no, no you should not

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

you landed a well paying, well located role in a big name company with little effort, and are asking if you should turn it down?

no, no you should not

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

no, no you should not

Yeah it feels really dumb to me too. Part of the concern was just coming from my dad telling me to consider those factors. Part of it is that I feel I don't know my market value at all. It'd be a lot easier for me to say yes if this came after several crappy offers or if I had more interviews. It seems like a very cool place to work but my only points of comparison are my lovely academic lab which was an awful work environment, and the other place I interviewed at which was also obviously just looking for someone with a pulse. I have no prior internships or industry experience.

I'm just not sure if these concerns are important at all.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cerious posted:

Yeah it feels really dumb to me too. Part of the concern was just coming from my dad telling me to consider those factors. Part of it is that I feel I don't know my market value at all. It'd be a lot easier for me to say yes if this came after several crappy offers or if I had more interviews. It seems like a very cool place to work but my only points of comparison are my lovely academic lab which was an awful work environment, and the other place I interviewed at which was also obviously just looking for someone with a pulse. I have no prior internships or industry experience.

Kick him in the balls, spit on his supine form, yell "gently caress you dad", and take the goddamn job.

E:

Blinkz0rz posted:

all of the negative reviews for my company are sales "people" :shrug:

FTFY.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You know what sucks more than working a job you don't like for six months while you search for another job? Being unemployed for six months while you search for another job.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
being unemployed means having no limits (except maybe gas money) on your ability to jump at opportunities & if you stay unemployed for six mos under those conditions outside of a recession what are you doing?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

being unemployed means having no limits (except maybe gas money) on your ability to jump at opportunities & if you stay unemployed for six mos under those conditions outside of a recession what are you doing?

:stare:

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
subjective growth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I hope you’re not going to head down some weird path that doesn’t involve tech jobs

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
i hang out on the computer, but i also do other things at other times

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Also take note that I was myself unemployed for >6 mos in 2012 and I gladly blame myself for not jumping at opportunities hard enough

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
your job is assigned to you by the state according to a computer generated life plan lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

I hope you’re not going to head down some weird path that doesn’t involve tech jobs

YOSPOS, bithc.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

because finding a job is hard when hr view you as damaged goods

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

like i remember shotgunning out my resume to every job that was even tenuously related to my experience and not hearing back from the vast majority of places, even when my resume perfectly matched the job description. i turned down one offer right at the start to go for a much more lucrative position at another company, which in hindsight was not a great idea since i didn't get an offer at the other place and spent the following 3 months job hunting again. there were months were literally nothing that fitted my skills (mostly C++, scripting, databases, and web services) showed up on indeed because vancouver is heavily into web dev rather than backend work. then finally in august i got 5 interviews in a single month and got an offer.

i've been employed at this joint for about 11 months now and i've only made 3 applications to other companies, all of which received a response. i cannot stress enough how much more valuable you appear to another company if you are currently employed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

like i remember shotgunning out my resume to every job that was even tenuously related to my experience and not hearing back from the vast majority of places, even when my resume perfectly matched the job description. i turned down one offer right at the start to go for a much more lucrative position at another company, which in hindsight was not a great idea since i didn't get an offer at the other place and spent the following 3 months job hunting again. there were months were literally nothing that fitted my skills (mostly C++, scripting, databases, and web services) showed up on indeed because vancouver is heavily into web dev rather than backend work. then finally in august i got 5 interviews in a single month and got an offer.

i've been employed at this joint for about 11 months now and i've only made 3 applications to other companies, all of which received a response. i cannot stress enough how much more valuable you appear to another company if you are currently employed.

Im heavily into doing work on ur mum's backend.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cerious posted:

never listen to boomers or boomer analogues for job advice

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cerious posted:

I mean intel in OR, on the silicon side of things.

oh then hello maybe future coworker, i do pre- si stuff in austin

i worked at the samsung in austin too, in their fab here doing ion implant process engineering.

been at intel for 9 years now and mostly love it. corporate culture at intel is way, way better. pm me if you want more opinions.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 1, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

never listen to boomers or boomer analogues for job advice

just head down to the grocery store and work as a stocker, with that pension you'll be set for life!

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

So actually my concerns about not getting more interview practice have been totally taken care of today. I got an email from a place I thought I bombed out of weeks ago for an onsite interview, so I'll just take the flight out to Virginia and see what's up. The role would be similar to the intel one (semiconductor process engineering) so my main goal is to just get an idea of how other companies in semiconductors operate.

Strangely enough they're willing to accommodate a guest to come with me, so I suppose I'll just take my mom with me too. Is this a thing companies actually do? As far as I know this is a literal entry level position, unless I've somehow fooled the people on the other end of the phone...

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

oh then hello maybe future coworker, i do pre- si stuff in austin

i worked at the samsung in austin too, in their fab here doing ion implant process engineering.

been at intel for 9 years now and mostly love it. corporate culture at intel is way, way better. pm me if you want more opinions.

Nice, I'll be doing process engineering too. No clue what I'll actually be doing though. They are very tight lipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
does your mom get to go to the interview too?