Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JS tools are drat awful. Even using TypeScript is a festering pile of poo poo, running tsc on a new project should not require any effort. First attempt using WebPack and it broke in the browser with the default settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Space Whale posted:

But you can still use the table, etc. Apps still work.

Devopsish guy is just throwing up a cron job to delete poo poo past its expiration :v:

you do realize that you can add a column that is interpreted by AWS as an expiration timestamp and it does it automatically, right?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazondynamodb/latest/developerguide/TTL.html

it's free, too

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

JS tools are drat awful. Even using TypeScript is a festering pile of poo poo, running tsc on a new project should not require any effort. First attempt using WebPack and it broke in the browser with the default settings.

create-react-app is thataway

edit: oops, I guess you want typescript with your webpack, well have fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

typescript is bad because it requires node and its god awful poo poo pile of an "ecosystem"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah but they were shut down because the callers kept getting hoisted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

necrotic posted:

just use parcel it apparently "just works"

https://parceljs.org/

hmmm, ok *checks website*

quote:

First install Parcel using Yarn or npm

nooope

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

imo contribute to RLS and the VSCode plugin because i want them to be better.

im definitely looking at RLS because it is a crash-happy piece of crap for me and i would like it to not be

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

typescript is bad because it requires node and its god awful poo poo pile of an "ecosystem"

Wtf are you talking about no it doesn't. Typescript is made by Microsoft and just compiles to Javascript. You can use it with whatever platform you want. Epic used it with web forms ffs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs wont compile typescript without node installed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

vs wont compile typescript without node installed.

That is absolutely not true. I did not have node on my work machine and I compiled typescript all day. Did this change in a recent version of vs or something?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

im definitely looking at RLS because it is a crash-happy piece of crap for me and i would like it to not be

yeah i think long run RLS will be the way to go but i'm doing my bi-annual rls+vscode test and it's still strictly worse than intellij. but i'm going to try to spend at least a day on it because a lot of my problems are probably just due to comfort with intellij at this point.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HoboMan posted:

can someone outline or link a loving coherent javascript development toolchain? because everything is loving busted for me and i have lost track of what anything does

Uninstall and reinstall nodejs?

jit bull transpile posted:

That is absolutely not true. I did not have node on my work machine and I compiled typescript all day. Did this change in a recent version of vs or something?

If you don't have node installed, vs installs its own node stack under your user profile AppData. It's awesome because when you want to have full control of your own node stack and decide to install nodejs separately you get weird behavior because depending on when/where you run npm you may or may not be installing to the VS node stack or your own! Fun!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

idk if its changed but new asp.net core apps require node.js be installed outside of VS to compile TS and for other functions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

If you don't have node installed, vs installs its own node stack under your user profile AppData. It's awesome because when you want to have full control of your own node stack and decide to install nodejs separately you get weird behavior because depending on when/where you run npm you may or may not be installing to the VS node stack or your own! Fun!

that may be what has changed because I don't have node installed and a brand new project fails to build with a "go install node" error.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shaggar posted:

that may be what has changed because I don't have node installed and a brand new project fails to build with a "go install node" error.

Yeah somewhere in the 2017 versions this has probably all changed, because about a year ago I had all kinds of node problems because of this extra vs node stack. If they got rid of that extra install, that's a big help. Condolences on having to install node for frontend web work, though. I wish the web would just burn down but then I still can't escape it because React Native is cropping up like a weed, now, too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as of now I don't want to use typescript enough to install node.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah somewhere in the 2017 versions this has probably all changed, because about a year ago I had all kinds of node problems because of this extra vs node stack. If they got rid of that extra install, that's a big help. Condolences on having to install node for frontend web work, though. I wish the web would just burn down but then I still can't escape it because React Native is cropping up like a weed, now, too.
Hell, I've had problems like that within the past couple months. VS doesn't just install Node, it installs Node v5, and some of the cool new poo poo in JS that I want to do needs Node v8+, and there's no way within VS, AFAIK, to update that version. So I need to manually install Node and then update the VS config to use that version instead, just so everything will work right.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Finster Dexter posted:

Weird, because node was literally blacklisted by our unauthorized software blocker so I wonder how vs would have bypassed that.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
TypeScript tries reassuring you that you're protected from some dipshit reassigning and/or throwing whatever properties with no consistent logic in some gently caress off magic JSON blob.

The actual thing that happens is said dipshit starts peppering ": any" everywhere so now you've got harder to read code that requires more nodejs.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tsc is written in TypeScript and as far as I know is itself a node app, so using npm to distribute it makes sense for a myriad of reasons.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it should be written in c# or c++ and be integrated into msbuild

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ThePeavstenator posted:

TypeScript tries reassuring you that you're protected from some dipshit reassigning and/or throwing whatever properties with no consistent logic in some gently caress off magic JSON blob.

The actual thing that happens is said dipshit starts peppering ": any" everywhere so now you've got harder to read code that requires more nodejs.

still feels like an advantage because it’s now theoretically possible to improve the situation

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

ThePeavstenator posted:

there's a tslint rule to ban any. our web guys made it mandatory, and using a comment to suppress it is basically an instant pull request reject

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i want to use typescript but the @types for all the libraries i want to use either break stuff or use any for a lot of things making it pretty pointless

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

it should be written in c# or c++ and be integrated into msbuild

it was in c# first and then rewritten in TypeScript. they claim it’s now faster than what they had then because TypeScript makes it easier to use immutable patterns that work well in compilers or something. idk, email anders and ask him.

I find TypeScript basically a more productive language than c# and java but I know a lot of users of low-level languages like c# and java aren’t prepared to handle its power

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

brap posted:

it was in c# first and then rewritten in TypeScript. they claim it’s now faster than what they had then because TypeScript makes it easier to use immutable patterns that work well in compilers or something. idk, email anders and ask him.

I find TypeScript basically a more productive language than c# and java but I know a lot of users of low-level languages like c# and java aren’t prepared to handle its power

source ur quotes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

brap posted:

low-level languages like c# and java

:raise:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i use a jitted lang running on a huge, heavy duty vm when i want to get close to the metal

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wonder if microsoft's employee vision insurance plan is called "C#"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

redleader posted:

i use a jitted lang running on a huge, heavy duty vm when i want to get close to the metal

yes this is the joke

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes this is the joke

poe's law is a hell of a drug

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

brap posted:

create-react-app is thataway

edit: oops, I guess you want poo poo THAT WORKS, well have fun

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
speaking as someone who thinks react is pretty okay, and who also likes typescript, the js ecosystem is objectively garbage

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Current funemployment status: beating the poo poo out of a big hitherto neglected personal project and slowly but surely liberating something not-terrible from the layers and layers of barnacles covering its surface.

It is a good feeling, even though all this refactoring is very tedious.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i'm pretty sure i made that exact same post at some point in my career.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the graalvm native image compiler for java works way better than it should

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

HoboMan posted:

i want to use typescript but the @types for all the libraries i want to use either break stuff or use any for a lot of things making it pretty pointless

I guess it depends how many external libraries you have to deal with, but I tend to wrap any untyped interfaces that I need to use without much trouble. I find that most big packages have @types and we only use around 10-15 libs in the whole project so we've had to do this with 2 or 3 of them.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
hey shaggar i found it: your worst nightmare https://itnext.io/functional-devops-with-scala-a-kubernetes-3d7c91bca72f

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sniep posted:

i wonder if microsoft's employee vision insurance plan is called "C#"

boooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i mean i often think to myself "if only more tools i used were exactly like sbt"

• Locked thread