Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't be the rear end in a top hat who compares being fat to being a minority or queer. Just don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean fair enough point on the fat thing but when on earth has anyone in this thread attacked an internet personality for being transgender or black

"Uncle Tom" isn't really attacking someone for being black, it's attacking them for being black and agreeing with white assholes.

Edit: Though the point still stands, since I don't think I've seen the term come up here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man its almost like there's a reason groovelord neato got taken out in the first D&D purge

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OmanyteJackson posted:

Don't be the rear end in a top hat who compares being fat to being a minority or queer. Just don't

It's not on the same level, it's just not cool and good.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Max Wilco posted:

Boogie's problem is that he's noncommittal and soft-shell

exCUSE me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Going back to less contentious discussion, there sadly does not seem to be any way to find full video of any of the BJW Shakespeare cards, though the main event of the Romeo and Juliet show, a Love Of Madness Poison Deathmatch, used to be on YouTube.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what else has he written, i know some star trek and IHNMIMS.
The Terminator :downs:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Scholtz posted:

exCUSE me

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/soft-shell posted:

adjective
Also soft-shelled. having a soft, flexible, or fragile shell, as a crab that has recently molted.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/soft-shell posted:

soft-shell
as in lenient

Synonyms for soft-shell
adj permissive
tolerant, forgiving, allowing

I dunno, I couldn't think of any other way to describe it. :shrug:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: Blame it on the Boogie

Praise from Caesar is praise indeed. Congratulations.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Uh... okay this is a thread topic.

Here's a video from Errant Signal about an indie trans game called Secret Little Haven I helped edit the script for. Be nice he was very afraid to even go into the trans aspect cuz he didn't want to mess up because he's a sweetie and a dork.

Looks interesting, late 90s internet and Sailor Moon as Queer role models is very familiar to my youth. Thank you.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

Why the gently caress attack him instead of the oval office who said it in the first place? Jesus. Like, fucksake. What's he got to do with it?

Because I can attack both of them perfectly fine, one for being a neo-nazi, demagogue piece of poo poo who people keep giving ~the benefit of the doubt~ to because oh he likes to suck dick so he can't be a goose stepper, the other for being a spineless, "centrist" fence sitter who's absolutely terrified at the concept of displeasing a side made up primarily of racists, sexists, homophobes and fundamentalists. They're both garbage.

Also nice thinly veiled "virtue signaling" remark in that other post.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what else has he written, i know some star trek and IHNMIMS.

A lot of his catalogue was scripts and short stories. In terms of popular appeal The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World is probably his most famous after I Have No Mouth. If you grab a copy of I Have No Mouth then it'll probably come with a collection of his other short stories.

He also edited Dangerous Visions and its follow up Again, Dangerous Visions, which were 60s anthologies using short story submissions that would only publish stories that couldn't get published anywhere else because of their content. There all over the place in subjects, tone and style but its kinda uplifting to see how many stories wouldn't cause a fuss if they were submitted by an established writer today.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kim Justice posted:

You actually forgot Shane. So...of him, Stephanie and Triple H, who fits into Cordelia, Regan and Goneril?

I know I'm late, but :thejoke:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Baka-nin posted:

He also edited Dangerous Visions and its follow up Again, Dangerous Visions, which were 60s anthologies using short story submissions that would only publish stories that couldn't get published anywhere else because of their content. There all over the place in subjects, tone and style but its kinda uplifting to see how many stories wouldn't cause a fuss if they were submitted by an established writer today.

So what's going to happen to all of those stories he collected for The Last Dangerous Visions? I know they're going to be really outdated, but I'd at least like the chance to see them.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Because I can attack both of them perfectly fine, one for being a neo-nazi, demagogue piece of poo poo who people keep giving ~the benefit of the doubt~ to because oh he likes to suck dick so he can't be a goose stepper, the other for being a spineless, "centrist" fence sitter who's absolutely terrified at the concept of displeasing a side made up primarily of racists, sexists, homophobes and fundamentalists. They're both garbage.

Also nice thinly veiled "virtue signaling" remark in that other post.

This only works if Milo's comments get brought up first. Or indeed at all except for in the context of Boogie's remarks. Feels like avoiding the actual worthy target. What Boogie said there was, like, par for the course for him and frankly it's just going over old ground - the guy is a centrist, he says centrist things, what else is there to cover? And minds certainly won't be changed by calling him a "quivering blob" or changing the numbers in his name to 1488.

And frankly, if what you got from that post was nowt but a thinly veiled naughty remark on "virtue signalling" that's on you.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thank you for defending boogie. Taking the "journalists shouldn't be shot" stance was an unusually strong position for him so I'm sure he appreciates you sticking up for him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I tried criticising Yiannopoulos once but the problem is he's an alt-right idiot who says alt-right things so there was nothing left to say on the matter.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea there's really no point in going "Shame on you, Milo!" because Milo is an admitted troll and doesn't give a gently caress or feel shame.

Whereas centrist dipshits like Boogie do feel shame and so should be shamed into not having such god awful opinions about how we have to give the benefit of the doubt to pedo Nazi fucks.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Back in the heady days of August 2014, I remember constantly asking people why they weren't concentrating their efforts on the publishing companies and big journalism sites who were actually responsible for major ethical issues instead of individual journalists who may have spoken slightly out of turn. I got much the same response from them, that it's just plain easier to attack the softer targets. I guess things are still hosed like that now.

And there are still people who listen to what Milo says, troll or not. We don't really know if this guy was one of them (evidence would appear to say no right now) but saying that he's an admitted troll is downplaying it too. Attacking his actions DOES have an effect - compare where he is now generally to where he was like, 2 years ago. He's relatively in the gutter, dismissed by those who used to court him as bad meat. I mean, before this last I saw him he was Alex freaking Jones' third wheel, completely unrecognised by a fawning InfoWars fan who Alex couldn't wait to get away from (if you've never seen this I would recommend, it's the funniest video of all time). It's never not worth giving this man a solid verbal kicking.

quote:

Thank you for defending boogie. Taking the "journalists shouldn't be shot" stance was an unusually strong position for him so I'm sure he appreciates you sticking up for him.

Lol. "Question the man's position without attacking his appearance" is "defending Boogie". Shows how much you'd have brought to the conversation, doesn't it?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

What Boogie said there was, like, par for the course for him and frankly it's just going over old ground - the guy is a centrist, he says centrist things, what else is there to cover?

What sort of political spectrum has valuing maintaining the status quo above social equity as a centrist position and not a literal textbook conservative one?

I’m not from the US, but I’m pretty sure the US right is not founded on bigotry but instead a sense of patriotism towards a national identity based on current social, economic, and cultural values (which can be bigoted based on existing structural power imbalances). Social changes represent innate threats, because the status quo represents the American ideals that oversaw prosperity for them, and any change, no matter how small or just, could deteriorate the greater whole (and marginalise their connection to it).

The difference between Boogie and a normal conservative is his inability to rationalise away this fundamental fear of change. His inertia towards change, admitting the power structures are flawed but resisting the change he accepts is needed, is not some off-brand version of centrism, but conservatism in its purest form.

That said, here in Australia, I don’t even know what constitutes a centrist anymore. I would normally have said that our political parties were based on conservative versus collectivist ideals, with centrists being liberalists. But now we have the two major parties both being centre-right, forcing them to be obstructionists to each other over petty technicalities, often implementing policy in government that they opposed while in opposition. This has led to a rise in minor parties occupying the actual left, right, and centre, while the major parties blame the voters and the electoral system for their declining fortunes.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 29, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
It's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSItaxluYb4

re: Harlan Ellison

Retsuprae did I Have No Mouth once upon a time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSHUuvO_GQI

The only other thing I know about Ellison is that one of his works is A Boy and his Dog, which was made into a film I want to see but keep forgetting to actively search for..

The dog in that film is supposedly the inspiration for Fallout series constant Dogmeat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ubik_Lives posted:

That said, here in Australia, I don’t even know what constitutes a centrist anymore.
You mostly have it. "Centrist" is a political euphemism in the same vein as "alt-right", it's just that instead of white supremacists it's traditional conservatives whose most important political issue is the inevitable fascist police state in which gays can marry and women have opinions that any movement to the political left will create.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kim Justice posted:

Why the gently caress attack him instead of the oval office who said it in the first place? Jesus. Like, fucksake. What's he got to do with it?

And shut the fuick up with the "lol fatty" language already.

Why do you keep defending boogie and downplaying the poo poo he says? This is like the second or third time you done it. Earlier you were defending his hot take stance of "the left is responsible for the right committing murder" Now he can't even be responsible for the words he says himself? What the absolute gently caress.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ubik_Lives posted:

I’m not from the US, but I’m pretty sure the US right is not founded on bigotry

It really is, like I have not a single doubt in my heart that the american right would be pogroming the LGBT, PoC, leftists, really anyone that defied them if they could. Right winger parents regularly hire facilities to essentially kidnap and torture their queer kids straight, we're putting children barely out of toddler age in cages and letting the gestapo ICE abuse them however they like and lose them forever to the machine or actual child traffickers, the orange pissman has put swathes of people into a group psychosis that tells them all news contrary to their views is a lie from those global elite and babykilling lieberals, shitheads advocating killing the wrong kind of journalists and sycophants rushing out to defend them and give them every chance in the world to say "Uuuh, lol I was just ~trolling~, you'll believe that right" and they do.

The american right is genuinely an evil party for sociopaths, bigots and crooks from top to bottom, this is why the "But both sides!" centrism poo poo is getting to be so reviled finally.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 29, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Why do you keep defending boogie and downplaying the poo poo he says? This is like the second or third time you done it. Earlier you were defending his hot take stance of "the left is responsible for the right committing murder" Now he can't even be responsible for the words he says himself? What the absolute gently caress.

1: I didn't defend that hot take stance and made that pretty drat clear in several posts/replies to you

2: Because as already laid out I see no point in browbeating the Boogie stance yet again especially when compared to Milo's utterly disgusting words that are absolutely the real harmful issue here, especially when they come with a ton of jibes about his appearance and weight that do nothing but cheapen the whole process and make everyone look like a bunch of hypocritical dickbags who can't wait to launch slurs and insults on people the moment they feel it's fair game to do so.

Is this clear enough? I hope so.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Plus there has been a several decades campaign of shifting said compromise over and over again to further right, and a fear of coming across as uncouth or unreasonable with it as well. The recent case with the Supreme Court was straight up a consequence of the previous administration buying the GOP's nonsense over and over again of "compromise" until another administration kicked in and suddenly after Judge Kennedy shot all of his loads and killed off several progressive cases on it, he quit and gave Trump another slot to nominate yet another judge, one that will most likely increase the chances of even more of those cases getting killed off, no matter how popular said case is with the general american public.

Hell, last week the conversation happily shifted from "Should we put babies in baby prisons" to "Should we be rude to people responsible of putting said babies on baby prisons".

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who the hell is this Boogie person anyway? Sounds like a moron.

Would love it if people stop playing devil's advocate for him. If you agree with his opinions, just say so then we can make fun of you too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Congratulations! You deserve wider recognition. I actually primarily followed your Doctor Who book reviews, but I decided to check out the Nickolodean ones and they're great, even if as a Brit I'm quite far removed from much of the backdrop.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Here's a video from Errant Signal about an indie trans game called Secret Little Haven I helped edit the script for. Be nice he was very afraid to even go into the trans aspect cuz he didn't want to mess up because he's a sweetie and a dork.

It's nuts how much that video made me nostalgic for the internet of days past. A lot of it is probably just rose-tinted childhood memories but the little micro-communities the video talked about just felt more cozy and personal than today's social media hellscape where nobody knows anyone but yells at everyone. Pretty much the reason almost my entire internet presence is posts on a dead gay comedy forum.

Also Errant Signal is a cool dude and you should check out his other videos too maybe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

It's nuts how much that video made me nostalgic for the internet of days past. A lot of it is probably just rose-tinted childhood memories but the little micro-communities the video talked about just felt more cozy and personal than today's social media hellscape where nobody knows anyone but yells at everyone.

one of my first online communities was the comments section of a yugioh card quiz website

any port in a storm, i guess

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Why the gently caress attack him instead of the oval office who said it in the first place? Jesus. Like, fucksake. What's he got to do with it?.

Because while Milo is a piece of poo poo, people who identify as “in the middle” who repackage and normalize this nonsense arguably cause more harm .

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
‘Sides, Boogie is rather more a part of the YouTube personality community than Milo is.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Augus posted:

Because while Milo is a piece of poo poo, people who identify as “in the middle” who repackage and normalize this nonsense arguably cause more harm .

Boogie causes more harm than Milo, the guy who wrote all those Breitbart articles on GamerGate? Milo who took pride in driving people off of Twitter? Milo, the man whose very presence at talks was enough to start a loving riot? Milo who liked to publically out and dox non-famous trans people who were at the universities he was giving talks in, and was able to spout all of this poo poo over mainstream media?

EDIT: Like, this isn't serious. I can't believe you'd put Milo UNDER a guy who at worst has South Park politics.

quote:

this is the internet personality thread

Whoops my mistake, I forgot he doesn't have the Internet. All the impact he had in 2014, the hordes of "Milo Yiannapoulous PWNAGE" compilations, his appearances on debates and his near 800k YouTube channel must not exist then

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 29, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
this is the internet personality thread

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
There are children in various places in the world who desperately cry out for even a fifth of boogies daily caloric intake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Augus posted:

I wonder where have I heard that before

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
mmm, can we go back to star wars?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This thread has a big problem of conflating "criticizing my argument" with "opposing my views."

Like with Kim right now and with OJ's (admittedly weirdly obsessive) theater thing, y'all were attacking them for arguments that they were legit not making at all, instead of employing some level of reading comprehension.

I know things are super tense politically now, but it's not going to help anyone if your only engagement with criticism is "Burn the heretic!"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

This thread has a big problem of conflating "criticizing my argument" with "opposing my views."

Like with Kim right now and with OJ's (admittedly weirdly obsessive) theater thing, y'all were attacking them for arguments that they were legit not making at all, instead of employing some level of reading comprehension.

I know things are super tense politically now, but it's not going to help anyone if your only engagement with criticism is "Burn the heretic!"

I'm sorry, but the Trump triggered modifier gives everyone -6 heretic tolerance. Ain't no level of humanism overcoming that.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Thank you.

As noted thread dickhead Ash Crimson neatly managed to bring it back around to just then, this started because a bunch of you got you panties in a twist over being called out for attacking someone's personal appearance and weight issues instead of, y'know, concentrating on their position because the moment someone doesn't agree with you, apparently that's ok! So deal with that.

SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR ALL! (except the fat fucks who disagree with me)

EDIT: Also reading comprehension isn't really the issue here, it's a classic tactic. Even if you know you're completely in the wrong, try and change the angle. Bait them with "Wait why are you defending X?" and see if they bite.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ash Crimson posted:

There are children in various places in the world who desperately cry out for even a fifth of boogies daily caloric intake
Considering his weightloss nowadays It's hard to tell how much he actually eats tbh.
Then again even with my own very light diet that's still so much more than parts of the world. :smith: