Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

I built all farms on that event size 25 Gaia world with the +20% food attribute, is that a good idea or did I waste a Gaia world. If it matters I’ll never have to build another farm again and my empire is growing like crazy with something like +30 food

this is a great idea actually, because when you ascend you only need to fix one planet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Having to manually close borders with each empire individually after a war, despite being fanatic purifier or even just anything else with borders closed, is utter bullshit.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Playing the new beta, found the Big Lever that didn't do anything.

It does something now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

Playing the new beta, found the Big Lever that didn't do anything.

It does something now.

What does it do now?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hunt11 posted:

What does it do now?
Pull it and find out!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

Pull it and find out!

who doesn't pull the lever?

It's just science. Pull levers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any advice for a good mod that just adds one species trait pick?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the idea of using leaders to run certain megastructures, but not all of them. Dyson Spheres and Ringworlds mostly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

If you're not going full synth you should just go a different path because you're missing out hard on bonuses.

Cyborg makes a decent soft pick if you want to go full on megastructures + another good perk.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm in the 2360s in my current assimilator game, and I'm nearing completing the last two tradition trees (domination and versatility or whatever the diplomacy swap is called). I'm thinking I'll take the Colossus project (forgot to take it earlier, oops), and then as last perk either World Shaper or... Grasp the Void. I've taken Executive Vigor, Voidborne, Master Builders, Galactic Wonders, Enigmatic Engineering, Synthetic Age (and yes, I do regret it) until now.

Someone talk me out of this, or at least into taking World Shaper instead. But some quick math suggests I'd get maybe 300 minerals/energy per month out of terraforming everything to gaia, which seems like it would actually be worse than making 5 more anchorage bases for 210 naval cap (and about -75 energy I think). I'd get some unity and science from it too, of course, but I've already got every non-repeatable normal tech except matter replicators (which I don't want, since they suck), so the science wouldn't be that useful, and the unity would just let me have slightly more ambitions running.

Maybe Transcendent Learning instead? But scientists would take forever to level up to 8, and that would just give me 4% research speed which seems mediocre at best at this point. The few percent of income from governor skill and 6% fire rate eventually seems pretty lackluster too. I don't need the extra leader cap since I'm into the repeatables, so I don't need many different scientists.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea of using leaders to run certain megastructures, but not all of them. Dyson Spheres and Ringworlds mostly.
Well yeah ringworlds are just planets, but let's say the Dyson Sphere is because you need a strong hand at the helm to ensure maintenance is performed correctly and to stop employees lining their pockets/plugging in bitcoin miners. So an unled Dyson Sphere or Science Nexus runs at half capacity the first month, a quarter for the second etc. Just because it's outputting the same energy doesn't mean it's getting where it's supposed to.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

So a guy I just clobbered in a war snuck a fleet through my territory while the open borders treaty was still in effect and murdered the curator station in my borders.

What the gently caress?

TURMP. You should always do this as exterminators/devouring swarm/fanatic purifiers.

Aethernet posted:

Badboi civics getting open borders after a war might be dumb.

Probably. The current implementation is pretty funny though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aethernet posted:

Badboi civics getting open borders after a war might be dumb.
yeah seriously

well I guess you now have an excuse to just go nuke the poo poo out of that guy if you didn't already

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

I'm in the 2360s in my current assimilator game, and I'm nearing completing the last two tradition trees (domination and versatility or whatever the diplomacy swap is called). I'm thinking I'll take the Colossus project (forgot to take it earlier, oops), and then as last perk either World Shaper or... Grasp the Void. I've taken Executive Vigor, Voidborne, Master Builders, Galactic Wonders, Enigmatic Engineering, Synthetic Age (and yes, I do regret it) until now.

Someone talk me out of this, or at least into taking World Shaper instead. But some quick math suggests I'd get maybe 300 minerals/energy per month out of terraforming everything to gaia, which seems like it would actually be worse than making 5 more anchorage bases for 210 naval cap (and about -75 energy I think). I'd get some unity and science from it too, of course, but I've already got every non-repeatable normal tech except matter replicators (which I don't want, since they suck), so the science wouldn't be that useful, and the unity would just let me have slightly more ambitions running.

Maybe Transcendent Learning instead? But scientists would take forever to level up to 8, and that would just give me 4% research speed which seems mediocre at best at this point. The few percent of income from governor skill and 6% fire rate eventually seems pretty lackluster too. I don't need the extra leader cap since I'm into the repeatables, so I don't need many different scientists.

You can get 5 more starbases from colonising/conquering more worlds. Which you can then make gaia worlds.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Staltran posted:

I am a starbase addict and find it hard to pass up the extra defense platforms Grasp the Void gives you if you like to create space maginoit lines like I do. You can force the enemy to either use the jump drive and gimp themselves, giving you a chance to jump them, or they can fight their way through your 30-40k defense citadel placed at a choke point giving you time to respond if you are surprised attack or time to get your fleet over there to support the station. Large kitted our defense stations can also encourage the AI to waste time trying to go around them aswell which could lead for them to divide their forces or at least allow you to break poo poo and try and force a status quo while a large part of their fleet is wasting time traveling

AND you get to use the starbases to support your empire in what ever way you want. Get more power or fleet cap or what ever you need.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 29, 2018

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Staltran posted:

but I've already got every non-repeatable normal tech except matter replicators (which I don't want, since they suck)

I always thought those were good. Build a Dyson Sphere, and you can basically turn all that spare energy into minerals

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

EmbryoSteve posted:

I am a starbase addict and find it hard to pass up the extra defense platforms Grasp the Void gives you if you like to create space maginoit lines like I do. You can force the enemy to either use the jump drive and gimp themselves, giving you a chance to jump them, or they can fight their way through your 30-40k defense citadel placed at a choke point giving you time to respond if you are surprised attack or time to get your fleet over there to support the station. Large kitted our defense stations can also encourage the AI to waste time trying to go around them aswell which could lead for them to divide their forces or at least allow you to break poo poo and try and force a status quo while a large part of their fleet is wasting time traveling

AND you get to use the starbases to support your empire in what ever way you want. Get more power or fleet cap or what ever you need.

You're thinking of Eternal Vigilance, which is a Good Perk. Grasp The Void only gives you starbase capacity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kill Dozed posted:

I always thought those were good. Build a Dyson Sphere, and you can basically turn all that spare energy into minerals

They really are unless you're a machine empire, and then you're just feeding pops with the sun.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Aethernet posted:

You're thinking of Eternal Vigilance, which is a Good Perk. Grasp The Void only gives you starbase capacity.

oh yeah some reason I had them combined (which they should be)

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kill Dozed posted:

It takes ~300k minerals just to set that up, not to mention the decades of time needed to build everything and break even. By the time it's even feasible to do that you're long past the point where you need its benefits.

I can't understand why matter replicators are even in the game, there are no situations where it isn't orders of magnitude more efficient to build mines instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabarto posted:

I can't understand why matter replicators are even in the game, there are no situations where it isn't orders of magnitude more efficient to build mines instead.
Less clicking.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah okay that's actually a pretty compelling answer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Aren't they better on habitats?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I once captured multiple Dyson spheres.

I filled a whole planet with matter replicators.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren't they better on habitats?

Even on habitats I'd honestly rather use mining bays if I had to make the choice. There's really no way around the fact that investing minerals into energy output and then converting that energy back into minerals at a loss is a horrible idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fun fact. If you're playing as Determined Exterminators and decide to crack a Holy World, when the now Awakened Spiritualist Fallen Empire decides to wardec you you're not given the option to use Purge as a war goal. Which, at least for me, defeats the whole purpose of cracking the Holy World to piss off a Fallen Empire in the first place.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ConfusedUs posted:

I once captured multiple Dyson spheres.

I filled a whole planet with matter replicators.

In my current game I have two Dyson Spheres and three Ringworlds. I decided to install the Utopia+ mod and now I'm adding another Sphere. Not that it matters since the only thing between myself and galactic domination is motivation.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jabarto posted:

Even on habitats I'd honestly rather use mining bays if I had to make the choice. There's really no way around the fact that investing minerals into energy output and then converting that energy back into minerals at a loss is a horrible idea.
It's not the worst idea if you find yourself hitting the mineral cap, no?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jabarto posted:

It takes ~300k minerals just to set that up, not to mention the decades of time needed to build everything and break even. By the time it's even feasible to do that you're long past the point where you need its benefits.

The stated reason they're in is to allow the empires who cannot interact with traders an avenue to convert energy into minerals. Yes it would be more efficient to rebuild with more mines and fewer power plants, but you can at least set up something akin to the trade conversion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun fact. If you're playing as Determined Exterminators and decide to crack a Holy World, when the now Awakened Spiritualist Fallen Empire decides to wardec you you're not given the option to use Purge as a war goal. Which, at least for me, defeats the whole purpose of cracking the Holy World to piss off a Fallen Empire in the first place.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to get an FE to declare war on me as an Exterminator; I want to wreck some fleets for that sweet sweet tech, but I don't want them to automatically gain any territory they occupy, which would be the case if I declare on them with the purge goal I would think.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jabarto posted:

Matter Replicators are unusual in that they're a planetary modifier rather than a tile modifier, so I can see an edge case where you have Thrifty/Very Weak pops and a planet with good mineral bonuses but happiness penalties. Of course, the tech itself is a rare lategame tech so it comes way too late to be the backbone of a strategy.

Jabarto posted:

I regularly use the traders to swap stuff because priorities can shift a lot depending on what phase of the game I'm in, like when a war starts and suddenly my minimal energy production goes negative because the fleets are getting mobilized. The key difference though is that trader swaps can be reversed or exchanged whenever I want, while the replicators take time and additional minerals to convert into other production.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rebuilding and teching up mines/power plants takes a good chunk of time. Whereas with matter replicators if you need more energy and less minerals, you just turn them off for a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Invictus posted:

Rebuilding and teching up mines/power plants takes a good chunk of time. Whereas with matter replicators if you need more energy and less minerals, you just turn them off for a while.

Yeah - in one game I had a set of matter replicators I would turn on as long as my fleets were in orbit for extra minerals and then turn off whenever I went to war and my energy tanked.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Also if you're being limited in terms of space to build poo poo they can be handy. Not the best thing for all the reasons people have put out, but in terms of space used they're very efficient.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Captain Invictus posted:

But then my pops are idle! :shepicide:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kill Dozed posted:

I already have one. If I wanted more minerals and less energy I'd just replace power plants with mines. I don't think I have much use for the flexibility of turning off matter replicators, and even if I did the opportunity cost of that is just too much.

Actually, if I had energy to burn I think I'd just convert some of my resource reprocessor starbases to anchorages instead. e: Or just cancel my mineral deals with the merchant enclaves, forgot I have those running. e2: Wait what am I talking about, that's if I wanted more energy for some reason. I should probably go to sleep. I should probably cancel those anyway and get more anchorages.

Soup du Journey posted:

It's not the worst idea if you find yourself hitting the mineral cap, no?

Making a Dyson Sphere? Sure, that makes sense. The matter replicators, I'm not convinced.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 30, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Matter replicators are a pretty tough sell. The exchange rate is mediocre, the costs are fairly high, and the opportunity cost of using up pops and slots is also quite high. I'd max out every trade agreement and Trader Enclave before building one.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always wary to even take the matter replicator research because I've had sectors in the past fill up planets with them and never manage to recover their energy deficit until I manually replaced them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Matter replicators are cool if you have a Dyson sphere or just a general surplus of energy, fleets always seem to churn minerals faster than energy for me anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I never put anything into a sector until I've put everything I want on every possible tile so that the idiot AI doesn't just fill it up with farms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Splicer posted:

I'd like to see leaders expanded in general, integrate them into more systems etc. There's a lot more stuff they could do.

I was thinking earlier that since this is already a Space Opera simulator giving leaders some more character based on their traits and having them interact with each other in reaction to events in and outside the empire would be neat