Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i'm so lucky to work in a company that is self-regulating and independent. we've completely cut out the boss from the development process, he just makes the deals, passes the contact info and early requirements to us, and we run everything else.

can't imagine dealing with some of the bullshit you folks do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
c tp s : i'm tasked to make changes to a 8000 line single file jquery spa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Maximum Leader posted:

NO.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Maximum Leader posted:

:yeshaha:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript was such a huge mistake

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

javascript was such a huge mistake

shaggar was right

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Had to parse spa into single page application and then I started vomiting in commiseration

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

do you work at my job

we have one of those on a legacy product. html and javascript in the same single file and everything

api is served by some python cgi scripts

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

New Samsnug TV status: it doesn't have an on-screen keyboard, only an IME helper HTML/JS widget that you can completely customize and have to micromanage for every single page input. Oh drat.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Arcsech posted:

do you work at my job

we have one of those on a legacy product. html and javascript in the same single file and everything

api is served by some python cgi scripts

sadly it is not legacy at all, this was finished this year or last year.

shaggar was, indeed, right

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
JavaScript is fine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jquery is insanely bad and is about half of what people bitching about JavaScript are actually bitching about. the other half is npm’s awfulness and having to DYI so much config without any real conventions.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jquery is better than just plain javascript. its not good, but javascript is just that bad.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

brap posted:

jquery is insanely bad and is about half of what people bitching about JavaScript are actually bitching about. the other half is npm’s awfulness and having to DYI so much config without any real conventions.

Can you elaborate more on the jquery badness? I know it's a legacy js library at this point, but I thought the whole point of it was to fix all the lovely parts of javascript that were lacking cross browser support at that time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not the current fad so its bad.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Hey how to make a dapper query with a fuckload of parameters?

Like I want to be able to add params in a loop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
DynamicParameters

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
javascript, as like a pure programming language, is okay now. there are some terrible quirks but they are easy to just not use once you are aware of them. it is probably the best of the p-langs.

javascript as a web ecosystem is a proper trash fire. things like jquery try to make things better but javascript in the browser will never be pleasant. u (web developers) are all consigned to a life of despair and bottomless remorse and for that u truly have my condolences

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the language itself is garbage and the terrible ecosystem on top if it is a direct result

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GenJoe posted:

here are some terrible quirks but they are easy to just not use once you are aware of them.

by that standard perl is a good plang

the best plang is python

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Janitor Prime posted:

Can you elaborate more on the jquery badness? I know it's a legacy js library at this point, but I thought the whole point of it was to fix all the lovely parts of javascript that were lacking cross browser support at that time.

it encourages people to build apps using really poo poo practices e.g. querying the DOM based on arcane combinations of properties and changing their state in ad hoc ways in response to events instead of declaratively with a library like react. the non-DOM features are pretty well supplanted by newer browser APIs like fetch or querySelector and modern browsers are much more uniform than in the past. extensions like jqueryui are also very very sloppy and will frequently do terrible things to your page through normal usage.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

by that standard perl is a good plang

Does Perl have industry standard linting tools for avoiding bad practice?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

brap posted:

it encourages people to build apps using really poo poo practices e.g. querying the DOM based on arcane combinations of properties and changing their state in ad hoc ways in response to events instead of declaratively with a library like react. the non-DOM features are pretty well supplanted by newer browser APIs like fetch or querySelector and modern browsers are much more uniform than in the past. extensions like jqueryui are also very very sloppy and will frequently do terrible things to your page through normal usage.

well then maybe react should have been released in 2006 then

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

jquery is better than just plain javascript. its not good, but javascript is just that bad.

what's so bad about javascript shaggar

i want actual things about the language you think are bad not just "it's a p-lang"

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i guess since javascript kiiiinda sorta has actual integers now (but only kinda) it isn't a complete joke, but really, what use is there in talking about a language without its standard library? even if you use the latest standard js you still have to go on npm and download some third party poo poo to get absolutely elementary stuff like flatMap and array intersections and other completely ordinary operations on very common data structures, not to mention kinda sorta very important things like actually functional date and time support + timezones.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
also, the js type system is still the thing people crack jokes about the most often, and it's not limited to the silly 0/null/undefined/empty string/empty array circus, but also things like function signatures. duck typing is fine in many languges, but javascript tries really hard to make you shoot yourself in the foot.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

necrotic posted:

just use parcel it apparently "just works"

https://parceljs.org/

Is this the flavor of the week now? I haven't paid attention for a few months.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i want actual things about the language you think are bad not just "it's a p-lang"

by far its totally hosed type system is the worst part and prevents it from ever being fixable. the way it interacts with the dom is also dumb as hell.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

by far its totally hosed type system is the worst part and prevents it from ever being fixable. the way it interacts with the dom is also dumb as hell.

does prototype inheritance count as part of the type system? if not, you should add that in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes its part of the hosed up type system for sure.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

akadajet posted:

Is this the flavor of the week now? I haven't paid attention for a few months.

yes
i tried it and it seems okay i guess? made it trivially easy to set up a react app with typescript without dragging in the entire create-react-app circus. create-react-app is a couple of megabytes of lovely npm dependencies, the main purpose of which seems to be to configure webpack properly. webpack config is a gigantic pain in the rear end and the general recommendation is to not to try to configure it manually. parcel seems to just automatically do all the idiotic minmaxing poo poo that you need to do to your lovely frontend application for it to load and work in most browsers without being unusably slow without requiring a bunch of config that is so complex you need a gigantic pile of scripts to generate it for you, so there is that.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 3, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

its literally teh only thing shaggar is right about just let him have it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
prototype inheritance is cool as hell

for a research or hobbyist language only used by language nerds. the fact that for 20-odd years no-one's been able to replace it with something more appropriate for real development is incredibly sucky.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

for a research or hobbyist language only used by language nerds. the fact that for 20-odd years no-one's been able to replace it with something more appropriate for real development is incredibly sucky.

es6 has real classes now

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Jabor posted:

this is wrong and inhumane

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2018 answer is "gently caress inheritance hooray for interfaces"?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

imo object oriented constructs just do not belong in dynamic and interpreted languages

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

es6 has real classes now

don't look at the polyfills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

GenJoe posted:

imo object oriented constructs just do not belong in dynamic and interpreted languages

:wrong:

• Locked thread