Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What with the Sprite ad with the very 90s kid freaking out about losing his sprite. It not even a retro ad, it just the kid dressed as Kid Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rirse posted:

Dr Pepper ad with the tiny talking horse got old real loving fast.

They’re just slightly more tolerable than those godawful ‘Li’l Sweet’ ads they used to run.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

They’re just slightly more tolerable than those godawful ‘Li’l Sweet’ ads they used to run.

Those still exist. Also that’s Justin Guarini.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Am I alone in thinking that the singer in that "Behind the Mac" ad sounds like someone who gets utterly humiliated when they audition for a talent show?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rirse posted:

What with the Sprite ad with the very 90s kid freaking out about losing his sprite. It not even a retro ad, it just the kid dressed as Kid Play.

The 90s were back last year and Sprite is a little late.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rirse posted:

He used to be a viner and was popular despite being one of the worst and most annoying ones.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CellBlock posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know if I've ever seen that commercial on TV, but I saw it all the time watching NHL games through the NBC Sports app.

Sometimes it's about ~SPRINKLES~!

I pass through Union Station in DC on my way to and from work, and there are massive video billboards that alternate between showing snippets from the Sprinkles Lady commercial, local lottery ads, and Wells Fargo's "we've learned our lesson, and we're totally not going to rip you off again! Honest!" ad campaign.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Selachian posted:

I pass through Union Station in DC on my way to and from work, and there are massive video billboards that alternate between showing snippets from the Sprinkles Lady commercial, local lottery ads, and Wells Fargo's "we've learned our lesson, and we're totally not going to rip you off again! Honest!" ad campaign.

Those Wells Fargo ads now just remind me of South Park and BP's "We're Sorry" ad.

(possibly a little :nws: at the end)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HTd4Um1m4

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That Wells Fargo apology ad is almost as annoying as those Facebook apology ads.

Those hojillions of dollars you spent on ads? Give that to the people you hosed over instead maybe?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the singer in that "Behind the Mac" ad sounds like someone who gets utterly humiliated when they audition for a talent show?

Yeah, it’s really, really bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

That Wells Fargo apology ad is almost as annoying as those Facebook apology ads.

Those hojillions of dollars you spent on ads? Give that to the people you hosed over instead maybe?

:lol: nah

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CellBlock posted:

Thometimes it'th about ~THPRINKLETH~!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just realized that racial issues aside, the only reason that gal grew up without seeing “people like her blog about fashion” is because no one was really blogging about fashion back then.

It’s not like Gianni Versace had a MySpace or Geocities page.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think she was saying she didn't see blogs like hers growing up, it was that she didn't see people like her growing up at all.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has there ever been a story about unwanted backlash against people who appear in commercials

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Regular Nintendo posted:

Has there ever been a story about unwanted backlash against people who appear in commercials

Uh, what about one of the younger Jenner/Kardashian girls who appeared in a Pepsi commercial right as the Black Lives Matter movement was in full swing?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Didn’t one of the Kardashians take a bunch of heat for a pop commercial with police officers?

I think it’s mostly the companies that take all the backlash, not the poor saps that act in the commercials. The closest second-hand info I have is a friend of mine appeared as the criminal for ‘dramatic reenactments’ on a true crime show thing, think like, Unsolved Mysteries or along those lines. Some people get flak for that because people see the re-enactment part and think the actor is the actual perpetrator.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bull3964 posted:

I don't think she was saying she didn't see blogs like hers growing up, it was that she didn't see people like her growing up at all.

Oh, that makes more sense.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

Nobody did

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

Didn’t one of the Kardashians take a bunch of heat for a pop commercial with police officers?

I think it’s mostly the companies that take all the backlash, not the poor saps that act in the commercials. The closest second-hand info I have is a friend of mine appeared as the criminal for ‘dramatic reenactments’ on a true crime show thing, think like, Unsolved Mysteries or along those lines. Some people get flak for that because people see the re-enactment part and think the actor is the actual perpetrator.

It was a Pepsi ad where giving everyone at the Charlottesville riot a soda cured all of America's ills. Cancelled drat near instantly, with the standard PR apologies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regular Nintendo posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/7ba4za/frosties-kid-interview-sven-ruygrok everyone back home haaaaaated this advert.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

The Nick Mullen/IBM saga

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Upon viewing it I can confirm that I do too

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epaCzVqjaME

YOU CAN HEAR THE WHALES :fuckoff:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This loving commercial is little more than the intro to an twee episode of Forensic Files.

And I drive a loving Subaru.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Regular Nintendo posted:

https://variety.com/2002/scene/markets-festivals/sag-censures-dell-dude-1117869710/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

There's no way the "can you hear me now?" guy had real friends for like ten years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regular Nintendo posted:

I don't know if it's a real backlash but thanks to Verizon and Apple I loving HATE Thomas Middleditch, John Hodgeman, and whoever that twig who was the Mac in those ads, but he's not in anything.

Does Subway's Jared, brought to you by the Federal Correctional Institution at Englewood, CO, count?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Justin Long was the Mac. John Hodgeman was the not the problem with those ads and I appeal to your decency to give him another shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beastie posted:

Justin Long was the Mac. John Hodgeman was the not the problem with those ads and I appeal to your decency to give him another shot.

Didn’t the popular response to Apple go against what they wanted for the ads? The PC guy seemed kind of boring but normal, and everyone wanted the Mac to go die in a fire.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

IRQ posted:

whoever that twig who was the Mac in those ads, but he's not in anything.

Justin Long has been in many many movies and, in fact, owns.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t the popular response to Apple go against what they wanted for the ads? The PC guy seemed kind of boring but normal, and everyone wanted the Mac to go die in a fire.

Unless you were a mac acolyte like my dad was during that time period.

As someone who grew up in a mac household and cherished my time with macs, macs were always the pretentious overpriced computer that no one liked. The only reason Apple still exists is that they manged to market that pretentiousness into the iPod and later iPhone

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WampaLord posted:

Justin Long has been in many many movies and, in fact, owns.

I checked his IMDB and he does indeed appear to be in a lot of poo poo.

I would never begrudge you your love of such quality productions as Skylanders Academy and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel, but the only thing on there I remember him in was Live Free or Die Hard and, well, the less said about that, the better.

Maybe he can star in Ready Player One Two after he's done with Alvin and the Chipmunks 7: Alvin Fucks a Washed Up Actor.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

IRQ posted:

I would never begrudge you your love of such quality productions as Skylanders Academy and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel, but the only thing on there I remember him in was Live Free or Die Hard and, well, the less said about that, the better.

Maybe he can star in Ready Player One Two after he's done with Alvin and the Chipmunks 7: Alvin Fucks a Washed Up Actor.

just making sure this doesnt disappear

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Parachute posted:

just making sure this doesnt disappear

By all means.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"You won't find that trail on a map, despite it being paved and maintained in the same style as all the other coastal overlooks around here. Cartographers don't leave here alive."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

IRQ posted:

He was the nerd kid in Galaxy Quest, which is an excellent movie, and I won't have you besmirching Justin Long like that without addressing it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also Dodgeball.

And he was great in Waiting and Accepted, but yeah just pick the dumbest movies he worked on and act like that's why people like him, sure.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

He was also in Drag Me to Hell and that movie was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He was also the Doctor in Idiocracy.