Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Carolina needs some scoring talent and goaltending. de Haan delivers on zero of those needs.

Might be grabbing him so they can unload one of their D-men to address those needs (or one of 'em, anyways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If the Devils don't add anybody of significance, they're missing the playoffs next year.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also Canes have to be dangling Faulk... cause Hamilton/Faulk/de Haan/Slavin/Pesce is a kick rear end top five.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You can either have the very recent 3rd overall pick who has progressed as hoped or a 22 year old who sucks poo poo and shouldnt be in the NHL. HMMMMMM

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Want to watch anime with Dubas.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

If the Devils don't add anybody of significance, they're missing the playoffs next year.

Same except the Rangers and I’m glad of it

Lose for Hughes

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Carolina is gonna be good!
-Me every year for the last five years

The Canes are going nowhere with their goaltending.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder goaltenders are voodoo.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why couldn't you do that Hexy?

I'd have to ask the same question of Stan Bowman. That's not a bad price for De Haan and he'd have shored up the Hawks defense far more effectively than the combo of Cam Ward (3 million) and Brandon Manning ($2.25 million). They could have just stuck with Anton Forsberg as the backup and saved a lot of money for the same performance, and Manning seems like a #7 on his best days :smith:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder goaltenders are voodoo.

usually once it's established that they suck, goaltenders don't become good again. Tim Thomas excepted

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Man that De Haan contract is like a Honda Civic, so god drat beautifully reasonable

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ummagumma posted:

I'd have to ask the same question of Stan Bowman. That's not a bad price for De Haan and he'd have shored up the Hawks defense far more effectively than the combo of Cam Ward (3 million) and Brandon Manning ($2.25 million). They could have just stuck with Anton Forsberg as the backup and saved a lot of money for the same performance, and Manning seems like a #7 on his best days :smith:

Manning didn’t bother me as much as others in FAS, he makes some dumb mistakes and def is not going farther than 3rd line defense, but there are def worse defensemen or there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

usually once it's established that they suck, goaltenders don't become good again. Tim Thomas excepted

Craig Anderson also, who seems to do the weird thing of one good year, one bad year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Craig Anderson also, who seems to do the weird thing of one good year, one bad year
He's been pretty consistently good most years except for last and now he's really old.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHL_AaronWard/status/1014351678903119877

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

boy leafs fans are gonna be mad when Matthews tears his ACL/MCL/PCL next preseason and Tavares gets a matt cooke special

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Supposedly Darling is in better shape at this point in the summer.

Also, we will trade Faulk for a center. That's my prediction.

This team leads me to drink.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/1014289086423576576

What.

Jar-mo Spe-cial?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Vargatron posted:

Supposedly Darling is in better shape at this point in the summer.

This team leads me to drink.

Faulk for Hayes?

e: ehhh nevermind. Faulk is 26 and only signed for 2 more years and isn't worth a big commitment after that.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Kilza posted:

Somehow Chiarelli's boner for Lucic will result in him getting Justin Faulk for just Lucic with no salary retained.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We need a 1C, so expect Faulk plus prospect plus pick going outbound.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was tempted to call BS on that EK to Columbus Tweet but it's coming (indirectly) from Friedman and I can't figure why they'd do it. Do you trade Bread Man now for EK and let Melnyk piss him away (though that doesn't fill an 82-point hole which just developed)? But, that said:

Karlsson-Jones
Werenski-Murray
Savard-Nutsack

:stonklol:

e- One CBJ blog suggests some combination of Abramov+Milano+Murray+2019 1st+2020 2nd.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

i am fully aware that no one will agree with me on this but the matt martin trade kicks rear end for the islanders. he won’t win them a single game but i have come to realize that he is the living avatar of the platonic ideal of islanders hockey, which is to be an ineffectual assembly of losers who exist only to make their opponents’ victories pyrrhic. even during their dynasty run they were bolstered by a parade of goons and their winning ways were only possible because that worked in that era’s nhl.

the islanders have plenty of fans who care about fancy stats and dangles and, well, winning, but i would be willing to wager that the most fervent core of the islanders fanbase responds more viscerally than that of any team to dudes who just go out there and light people up. ask any islanders fan what their favorite game of the last decade was and i assure you a significant portion will immediately bring up the pens-isles brawl game rather than the tavares OT winner vs florida. people bought trevor gillies islanders jerseys when he played here. you’ll still see a significant number of steve webb jerseys at any islanders game. and during his tenure with the islanders, matt martin jerseys were nearly as prevalent as tavares jerseys.

any statistical success this team has ever had is either ancillary or directly counter to the gestalt of the franchise. for the islanders to be the islanders they must lose, and they must gently caress you up while they do it. if they ever make a cup run again they should be relocated, because they will have already ceased being the islanders.

viva matt martin, viva big hits to the exclusion of scoring, viva the new yoawk fucken islandahs bitch

Sir, this is the order window at All American burger.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

grack posted:

The Canes are going nowhere with their goaltending.

IN THEORY Darling and Mrazek should be a nice combo behind that D, which is basically Preds East with Hamilton/de Haan/Slavin/Faulk, but who knows.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

IN THEORY Darling and Mrazek should be a nice combo behind that D, which is basically Preds East with Hamilton/de Haan/Slavin/Faulk, but who knows.

Expecting one goalie to get his poo poo together after regressing is asking a lot, asking two....man, I dunno.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Canes D was real good last year too and their goaltending still sucked

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'd be up for trading Heiskanen to get Karlsson.. obviously.

The argument not to do that seems to be simply that everyone figures that Ottawa is screwed and you can squeeze them because nobody will offer anything good?

Heiskenen is a player who the consensus all along has been that he doesn't have good offensive potential at the NHL. Various prospect rating services made statements when asked about how he compared to this year's draft that he would have been a 5-10 pick.

The hype all along with him has been his supposedly otherworldly defensive acumen, comparable to a young Nicklas Lidstrom.. Not really of course, but they want to make the point that he has amazing defensive instincts for his age. I'm wary of prospects that have that profile, because you really can't tell what potential level of play he's going to reach based off of that.. offense is easier to project into the future.

so go ahead and send Heiskenen, Devin Shore, and a couple draft picks to Ottawa mr Nill. Get this done please :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes, I too would like my team to trade a good prospect and a bunch of spare parts for one of the best players in the league.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

boyd gordon also had otherworldly defensive acumen and nobody cares except me

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

Yes, I too would like my team to trade a good prospect and a bunch of spare parts for one of the best players in the league.

Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul, and a 2nd + Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, and Matt Fraser.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was tempted to call BS on that EK to Columbus Tweet but it's coming (indirectly) from Friedman and I can't figure why they'd do it. Do you trade Bread Man now for EK and let Melnyk piss him away (though that doesn't fill an 82-point hole which just developed)? But, that said:

Karlsson-Jones
Werenski-Murray
Savard-Nutsack

:stonklol:

e- One CBJ blog suggests some combination of Abramov+Milano+Murray+2019 1st+2020 2nd.

Come on now. 2 righties, 2 lefties, and an inverted pairing. Your blatant disregard for handedness offends me

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Their goaltending is still absolute rear end, though. They need to address that, they should be/have been on the phone with SOMEONE looking to unload a solid goalie, although that list is probably pretty small. Although I can certainly see why they didn't make any serious effort to get Grubauer, since they tried that whole "Get a guy with a good track record as a backup" thing already.

I think the Caps weren't interested in unloading him in the division either so that was another factor.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Duckman2008 posted:

Manning didn’t bother me as much as others in FAS, he makes some dumb mistakes and def is not going farther than 3rd line defense, but there are def worse defensemen or there.

Manning would be fine if he was used as the 5/6/7 D he actually is, not used as Hakstol's binkey

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

grack posted:

well that is apparently the sticking point at this time. Ottawa wants Heiskenen, Dallas doesn't want to give up more than Honka

**also I might note that the current consensus amongst all Dallas fans on twitter is that Karlsson isn't worth giving up Heiskenen for, despite how obviously good that is for Dallas :(

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Duckman2008 posted:

I may have been a little too harsh in my assessment, but I was more disappointed the Hawks signed him because they already have a boatload of adequate third pairing defenders. De Haan would have shored up the Hawks biggest weakness, which is top 4 defense. As is, they're pretty much left with a declining Duncan Keith.

There's been a lot of chatter about the Hawks inquiring about Faulk, but unless the Canes are willing to take a gently-used Artem Anisimov, I doubt the price will be one the Hawks are willing to pay.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

grack posted:

Hah! Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson and Gudbranson. Bennings master plan revealed at last

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Hah! Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson and Gudbranson. Bennings master plan revealed at last

That's like 19M in salary. Ottawa would never take that much back.

Also, holy christ that's depressing.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kilza posted:

Zero toughness. Zero character. That team's going to get pushed around without guys like Martin and Polak to back them up and miss the playoffs.

the leafs are gonna open the season 4-7-2 or something and this is 100% gonna be the narrative for months

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
what the gently caress is shero doing

he better be about to grift someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

grack posted:

That's like 19M in salary. Ottawa would never take that much back.

Also, holy christ that's depressing.

Yeah I knew throwing Eriksson in there was too much for plausibility

• Locked thread