Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dalael posted:

Can you realistically try and get max stats using horizon?

technically yes, in that you start with more stat points on start, and are able to get 5 stat points every 5 or 10? levels with VANS. but it takes so loving long to level up that you'd probably beat the game before you get enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

technically yes, in that you start with more stat points on start, and are able to get 5 stat points every 5 or 10? levels with VANS. but it takes so loving long to level up that you'd probably beat the game before you get enough.

Every 5 levels you get 5 free perk points, so you technically level up the same amount but it's spread over a much, much longer period of time.

That is one thing that makes me concerned about spending time just building up settlements and stockpiling non-irradiated food and water. I'm not sure how much XP I'll be able to earn doing that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Roobanguy posted:

What is VANS?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dalael posted:

What is VANS?

It's a Horizon perk that replaces one of the ones in Vanilla. It lets you buy a rank every 5 levels that gives you 5 perk points.

If you never take it you get a damage and health buff.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Dalael posted:

What is VANS?

In vanilla FO4, it gives you the "draw a line to your quest target" spell from Skyrim. Since that's basically one of the most useless perks ever, in Horizon, it gives you 5 perk points, plus refunds the one you spent on the perk, but you can only take a new rank every 5 levels.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My chief criticism of Horizon thus far is the drastically reduced xp from building things. I don't know why someone would implement that in a mod that already makes leveling take forever. There's really no chance of leveling up because you spent a couple hours having fun with legos, and that makes me sad :saddowns:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

What?? They can get killed? Do you have to be near them and witness it for it to happen or does it just.. happen?

I was involved in the fight, but they can get killed permanently if you're around.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Are there any other large overhaul mods on the scale of Horizon? I've tried it out a couple of days and it's not grabbing me, mostly because of the survival mode emphasis I think.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Any recommendations for weapon packs akin to a bundle of tape?

Weaponsmith Extended looked promising but good lord the amount of faffing about required is a little bit overwhelming for me.

Or at the least is there a list of weapons added from previous games?
e: found a few here https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/4us2wm/fo4_is_anybody_redoing_classic_fallout_weapons/
ee: found some more! https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1700542332332660733/

Jarf fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 7, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Solarflare posted:

Are there any other large overhaul mods on the scale of Horizon? I've tried it out a couple of days and it's not grabbing me, mostly because of the survival mode emphasis I think.

Overhauls of that magnitude are still rare, I'm afraid. However, there are a lot of ways of combining focused overhauls into one cohesive experience.

For instance, War Never Changes is mostly focused on combat and perks, but it's a ton of fun. It makes combat fast and deadly, and adds a few quality of life changes that help general game play. I paired it with Sim Settlements and had a great time. Highly recommended.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Solarflare posted:

Riatsala posted:

Overhauls of that magnitude are still rare, I'm afraid. However, there are a lot of ways of combining focused overhauls into one cohesive experience.

For instance, War Never Changes is mostly focused on combat and perks, but it's a ton of fun. It makes combat fast and deadly, and adds a few quality of life changes that help general game play. I paired it with Sim Settlements and had a great time. Highly recommended.

Immersive Gameplay is very similar to War Never Changes in the all things mentioned by Riatsala. Other advantages of Immersive Gameplay are the slowed levelling, delevelled enemies, the large bandit raids on your settlements, tougher enemies that actually use ammo (and can run out), improved AI, rebalanced crafting/settlements and integrated support for VIS. It's big downside is that is doesn't have a Sim Settlement patch so it's settlement changes will be unbalanced.

To combine with other mods to make a hardcore game, you can use the Immersive Gameplay plus hardcore patch and Some Assembly Required, Fallout Loot Overhaul and Loot Logic and Reduction. For more encounters I also added More Spawns - Medium, NPCs Travel (with maximum NPCs added), No Place Is Safe and SKK Combat Stalkers. All together it combines into an incredibly, violently busy world with challenging gameplay and the loot is appropriately reduced for how often you will be finding dead bodies. The streets outside Diamond City are an almost constant war zone and it's absolutely glorious.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 8, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's been a few months since the OP stuff was last updated, any major changes to watch out for?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Corsec posted:

Immersive Gameplay is very similar to War Never Changes in the all things mentioned by Riatsala. Other advantages of Immersive Gameplay are the slowed levelling, delevelled enemies, the large bandit raids on your settlements, tougher enemies that actually use ammo (and can run out), improved AI, rebalanced crafting/settlements and integrated support for VIS. It's big downside is that is doesn't have a Sim Settlement patch so it's settlement changes will be unbalanced.

A few days ago while running Immersive Gameplay and Sim Settlements I got a warning that Greentop Nursery was under attack by Mirelurks. I fast travel there thinking I'm going to run into a few Softshells and maybe a King or two.

Nope. Something like fifteen Razorclaws, six Hunters, and two Kings, some of them glowing and a handful Legendary. I pretty much spent the entire time running away, turning around, launching two Fat Mans from Big Boy, and running away again. I ended up just outside General Atomics before the last one died.

Five stars, would defend settlement again.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
For those playing Sim Settlements, Is it normal for all my settlers to decide the only things they want are farms, defense and the odd scrap heap industrial?
No shops, no entertainment.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Broose posted:

For those playing Sim Settlements, Is it normal for all my settlers to decide the only things they want are farms, defense and the odd scrap heap industrial?

I've been seeing something similar and wondered the same. Also my sanctuary just hit level one and now I can't build anything at all, most importantly workstations, which is a bug, right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Broose posted:

Do you have commercial and recreational plots laid down and empty? I think I had a delay on my Sim Settlements for Sanctuary because I started by building like a dozen beds and fixing up the houses instead of laying down new plots, so I had to fill up the existing beds before people started building and certain things like commercial plots require stuff like 5 or more residential plots built and occupied.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broose posted:

They don't really decide, all the town plans are things people submitted. As the towns level up they'll get more things generally speaking. They start with survival and scrapping to get materials, then as they stay successfully they'll upgrade and have shops and the like.

Nothing stops you from going to the little sensor module on any given building and changing some industrial heap to a medic template or something.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Azhais posted:

They don't really decide, all the town plans are things people submitted. As the towns level up they'll get more things generally speaking. They start with survival and scrapping to get materials, then as they stay successfully they'll upgrade and have shops and the like.

Nothing stops you from going to the little sensor module on any given building and changing some industrial heap to a medic template or something.

And you should if you have a bunch of farms. Most of the planned settlements absurdly over-produce food.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zore posted:

And you should if you have a bunch of farms. Most of the planned settlements absurdly over-produce food.

My experience when exploring the settlement plans is that they all really follow some random person's preferred commonwealth design. Like some places are farms and produce tons of food, some places are cities that produce nothing and basically require supply lines from said farms for food and water.

So if you build the entire region it works out great, but for individual places it's absurdly over or under producing.

Other people make each one self sufficient, which is better imo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've just stuck to plotting each settlement individually. I show up and place residential, agricultural, industrial, commercial, recreational, and defensive plots exactly where I want them (in Sanctuary, currently along the existing street in town). It helps keep things looking neat while still allowing the buildings to grow and upgrade on their own while I'm out.

It's also let me work some interesting ideas, like having residential plots slightly behind others to turn empty fields into Roman-style apartment blocks with narrow alleys separating them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The biggest issue I have with sim settlements is there's really no space for... you. Half the things that register as bedrooms aren't even usable by the player

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

My experience when exploring the settlement plans is that they all really follow some random person's preferred commonwealth design. Like some places are farms and produce tons of food, some places are cities that produce nothing and basically require supply lines from said farms for food and water.

So if you build the entire region it works out great, but for individual places it's absurdly over or under producing.

Other people make each one self sufficient, which is better imo

See, my issue is the opposite :v:

The issue is every place is basically designed in a vaccuum and there are a fuckton of farms.

So you have Abernathy/Grey Garden/Sanctuary/Sunshine Tidings/etc focused super heavily on food while even places like Hangman's Alley/The Castle get a bunch of food stuff for no reason.

So everywhere produces enough food and water for itself and basically nowhere is actually like a city that relies on imports or whatever. And you just have this massive food surplus and 0 commercial/recreation areas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

The biggest issue I have with sim settlements is there's really no space for... you. Half the things that register as bedrooms aren't even usable by the player

I always set up my own room or house. For Sanctuary the obvious choice is your own house, and it's got tons of space (especially with Scrap Everything to clear out stuff like the busted HVAC unit and turn that room into a settlement management office). In Covenant I took the house all the way at the back and converted the little wooden storage room into my bedroom and the rest into office space.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think that even if you use a city plan the buildings can be set to "random" instead of drawing from the original designers choices. Since I'm bad at making towns I flipped the setting to reflect whatever the designer had picked, but it's still been a challenge to find a place to stuff in a Logistics building.

I'm really liking that mod. No more figuring out supply lines, and it's easy to summon each provisioner to be equipped. They get descriptive names so you can tell which route they serve.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I think that even if you use a city plan the buildings can be set to "random" instead of drawing from the original designers choices. Since I'm bad at making towns I flipped the setting to reflect whatever the designer had picked, but it's still been a challenge to find a place to stuff in a Logistics building.

I'm really liking that mod. No more figuring out supply lines, and it's easy to summon each provisioner to be equipped. They get descriptive names so you can tell which route they serve.

For supply lines I always just made a bunch of Automaton robots, stationed them all in Red Rocket (where I kept my poo poo) and send them out as a spiderweb of supply to every settlement. It lets me indulge in using all the great robot mods from the 'I speak Japanese only' guy and you get so much raw robot stuff from the Automatron questline its simple to have like a dozen running around as long as you aren't trying to go maximum best parts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

It pulls from random designs (prioritizing recently installed add-on packs for their first spawning), but you can go to the ASAM button on the power pole and change it to any design you want. I did that when a settler in a small collection of houses in Sanctuary suddenly built a huge spiked tower of doom.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also turn on and off designs for random selection using the mayor desk.

But yeah feel free to demolish plots you don't want and replace them with your own.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chitoryu12 posted:

It pulls from random designs (prioritizing recently installed add-on packs for their first spawning), but you can go to the ASAM button on the power pole and change it to any design you want. I did that when a settler in a small collection of houses in Sanctuary suddenly built a huge spiked tower of doom.

Well, you're going to have to explain why you didn't want the huge spiked tower of doom. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Well, you're going to have to explain why you didn't want the huge spiked tower of doom. :colbert:

It was one single random settler in a neighborhood made up of shacks and repurposed warehouses. He was overcompensating against his neighbors :colbert:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
A lot of the settlements, at city level 2 or 3, will build you the player a sweet little apartment. That was the case at Greygarden (top of the overpass) and ST Coop, and a few others that escape my mind. Your apartment always has a bed marked YOUR BED and usually storage.

Thanks to whoever recommended the logistics station! I jammed one into every settlement I have so far and it's completely fixed my issues with vanishing supply lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're using Horizon the resource stations can also create 1 supply line per station you build, without using any settlers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod that stops companions from repeating their post-max affinity conversations? I'm getting sick of Maccready telling me he's embarassed and Preston telling me about his suicidal thoughts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a mod that stops companions from repeating their post-max affinity conversations? I'm getting sick of Maccready telling me he's embarassed and Preston telling me about his suicidal thoughts.

Yeah, it's called "Send them to Murkwater Construction"

I've not found anything to fix it

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

DO YOU KNOW THE ROBOT WORKBENCH IS Qjudkgjkjrtn-TY; LAST PIECE WE NEED TO FIND THE MECHANDijgjtrrhikæj,.jjjjjj

Speaking of, is there some mod to let me build even more kinds of crazy skullbots with sentry voices?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Are there any mods that add a way to quickly mass-scrap weapons and armor? Horizon (iirc) had a scrapping machine but I'm looking for a standalone mod if one exists.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't there a scrapper in contraptions?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
How do Sim Settlements tech trees work? I upgraded Sanctuary as a city from rank 0 to rank 1 or whatever and it looks pretty impressive now, but I still don't know how the tech tree stuff works.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Tech trees are industrial revolution plots only, they govern how they develop.

Is there a mod that allows settlers to wear power armour?

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

Erd posted:

Is there a mod that allows settlers to wear power armour?

Its in the game by default, leave a fusion core in a power armor, and when an enemy is near they will hop right in.
No the real trick is getting the idiots back out, you have to pickpocket the core back without getting caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you hold E on a settler they'll abandon the armor. It's when some other npc like Carla jumps in you got problems