Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sadly, we don't get the option to go non-lethal until HK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Xander77 posted:

Sadly, we don't get the option to go non-lethal until HK.

And what a way to go non-lethal it is!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GhostStalker posted:

And what a way to go non-lethal it is!

Duncan is super sweet. And carries a lot of zipties.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

by the way I wasn't sure how to phrase this question but were talking a lot about Nazis - how does that play out in the Deutsche version? I'm ignorant of both German video game censorship laws and the details of how this game navigates it, so I'd love to be educated on both topics thanks

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

oystertoadfish posted:

by the way I wasn't sure how to phrase this question but were talking a lot about Nazis - how does that play out in the Deutsche version? I'm ignorant of both German video game censorship laws and the details of how this game navigates it, so I'd love to be educated on both topics thanks

Humanis isn't explicitly Nazis, even if they are the human supremacist equivalent. I don't think the word is even mentioned in this game at all. So I doubt they'd run afoul of any German censorship laws.

The only time I remember the word Nazi showing up in SR is regarding the rumored leadership of Alamos 20k, one of which was nicknamed The Nazi because of his history in the German neo-Nazi underground, before he was killed, supposedly by his protege, nicknamed The Doctor because he's the successor to Mengele, except against metas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oystertoadfish posted:

The German laws specifically refer to Nazis and Nazi iconography, rather than just people with the same political beliefs and aims as Nazis.

Well worth remembering that this law exists to prevent a literal Nazi revival or uprising post-WW2 and not because anyone though that fighting Nazism was an inherent good (though clearly it does also help with that) which is why it's so extremely strict on display of the swastika etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, it very explicitly restricts use of Nazi iconography in anything except a historical or educational context.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for the education yall, makes sense that a game that's so attuned to keen on making money in the german market would know how to play their cards

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is also a bit that our good buddy Dietrich referenced

one of the Historical Shadowrun Events was the Night of Rage. kristallnacht times the whole goddamn planet. Humanis was prominent in the groups pushing it, but ultimately it was all the frustration and anger and confusion and general WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPENING ANYMORE the world had felt since the Awakening coming to a head, and the target of choice was anyone who wasn't a human. poo poo was bad. poo poo was extremely bad.

in Berlin, and in Berlin alone, it went differently. our friendly local shaman was one of the people who streamed into the streets to meet Humanis and company, alternating between the traditional rallying cry of their people, "Nie Weder," and screaming a set of prominent Dead Kennedys lyrics. Berlin was no less bloody than Tokyo, Gaza, Cincinatti, or Rio, but it was the only place human corpses in the streets ended up outnumbering metahuman corpses in their homes.

this is fingered prominently in the events leading to the creation of the Flux State, because it turns out a bunch of germans who have seen the organs of state power go on standby hoping the latest round of genocide just blows over are not -super- inclined to believe they can trust them going forward.

(this, also, is completely shadowrun's developers marketing themselves to the german market and hard, but it is not marketing invented for the purposes of this game alone, at least.)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
First edition Shadowrun was HUGE in Germany in the '80s. I can't imagine why. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I keep a magazine of stick-n-shock or gel rounds on my Street Sam when out on a run at all times for this reason alone, when the GM allows me to get my hands on it. Usually, they're good about that.

(4E)
Load alternating stick-and-shock and capsule rounds filled with a DMSO/narcoject mix. A double tap will drop anyone without serious augmentation.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RabidWeasel posted:

The perfect run is when you transcend the need for subtlety because your running group consists of a peak posthuman living blender, a guy who can probably survive being cut into more than 2 separate equally sized pieces, the living embodiment of stealthiness who's also the world's greatest rifleman, and a rigger who's actually in a bomb shelter 2 miles away controlling a small army of drones, with air support.

Sounds like your Perfect Run ends with the team getting eaten by an invisible spirit because no one brought a Mage.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stroth posted:

Sounds like your Perfect Run ends with the team getting eaten by an invisible spirit because no one brought a Mage.

To be fair, the adept who's peak posthuman might be able to see and punch the poo poo out of a spirit, but yeah, a mage would be helpful.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, it very explicitly restricts use of Nazi iconography in anything except a historical or educational context.

If I remember correctly, degradatory contexts are as well ok. You do not get charged for displaying stickers with swastikas getting dumped in trashcans anymore.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Lone Badger posted:

(4E)
Load alternating stick-and-shock and capsule rounds filled with a DMSO/narcoject mix. A double tap will drop anyone without serious augmentation.
Rifle Wizard casts Sleep. It's super effective!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

GhostStalker posted:

To be fair, the adept who's peak posthuman might be able to see and punch the poo poo out of a spirit, but yeah, a mage would be helpful.

I love this.
"Oh hey, look, a ghost. Save us Muscle Wizard!"
"I can't FIST!"

*Nuclear Explosion*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

"I can't FIST!"
Then you just need more lube

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The best run in fiction that is what I think of when I imagine what a ‘run’ must be like is probably Case and Molly stealing the Dixie Flatline construct.

Perfect timing, an invisible person stalking the halls, a hacker opening doors or turning off cameras just as needed, illusory cover stories of entire arcology sized buildings having a psychotic episode, and records that show the thing that was stolen was moved months ago.

Molly, of course, kills 3 guards who were just people, probably parents, in the wrong place and the police reaction to the reports of the psychotic break appears to kill or maim hundreds. No one even bats an eye at this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Murgos posted:

The best run in fiction that is what I think of when I imagine what a run must be like is probably Case and Molly stealing the Dixie Flatline construct.
No mention of the Oceans* series?

Also, the Mission Impossible series is a cautionary tale in why Johnsons shouldn't try to burn their runners.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, the Mission Impossible series is a cautionary tale in why Johnsons shouldn't try to burn their runners.

Ronin?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Honestly, Burn Notice is sort of a sunshiney Shadowrun with a lower body count.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

My personal fave is the team in Sneakers -- prep work, social engineering, and explaining the countermeasures to each system they're trying to work their way past.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

The Oceans are fine, just too tricksy, too pat. Like at any moment a slightly different behavior in someone outside their control could cause the whole thing to implode.

The real deal should have the variance accounted for (even if it means mass killing).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Murgos posted:

The Oceans are fine, just too tricksy, too pat. Like at any moment a slightly different behavior in someone outside their control could cause the whole thing to implode.

The real deal should have the variance accounted for (even if it means mass killing).

Yeah, a standard rule for Shadowrunners is have at least three workable plans, and "Shoot your way out" can't be one of them.

It is something that should always be planned for, it just doesn't count as one of the three.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

kaosdrachen posted:

My personal fave is the team in Sneakers

A good movie that shows how Tiger Teams really work for the most part.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Stroth posted:

Yeah, a standard rule for Shadowrunners is have at least three workable plans, and "Shoot your way out" can't be one of them.

It is something that should always be planned for, it just doesn't count as one of the three.

This, however, does not apply to "shoot you way in" because they always expect you to try to sneak in. Because of the shadow part, I assume, and because they figure that they'll have the firepower advantage if 5 people try to charge in regardless of how good the intruders are. That assumption can turn out to be... incorrect.

Plus it means you already have an exit available once you grab whatever it is you're being paid to get. Just follow the dead body road!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So simple question to all of you: what do you prefer?
Cyberpunk? Or Post-Cyberpunk?

Me? Well, I must confess I've always been an optimist person. The idea of Post-Cyberpunk, that the future will not be a poo poo hole but a world much like our own but with cool gadgets appeals much more.
You guys know how artistic movements work. There is a basic work (in this case, Utopian future Sci-fi societies of the 50s and 60s), the reactionary work that rages against those previous works (Cyberpunk, in which society is ruined by the very technological advancements that we make, which started in the late 70s and kept going until it died off around the mid noughties when people realized "oh poo poo are we living this?") which, in turn, would lead to its own reactionary work, trying to bring things more to a middle point between both sides (in this case, post-cyberpunk, in which the future is seen as being much like our own, bit more technologically advanced, deals more with BOTH the good and the bad of technological advancements. A lot of current sci-fi series and books nowadays have taken this movement).

It is faster to define it as the base of a genre (in comic terms, it would be the Silver Age of comic books), a deconstruction of the genre (the Dark Age of comic books) and the Reconstruction of the genre (the Modern Age of Comic Books).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Siegkrow posted:

So simple question to all of you: what do you prefer?
Cyberpunk? Or Post-Cyberpunk?

Me? Well, I must confess I've always been an optimist person. The idea of Post-Cyberpunk, that the future will not be a poo poo hole but a world much like our own but with cool gadgets appeals much more.
You guys know how artistic movements work. There is a basic work (in this case, Utopian future Sci-fi societies of the 50s and 60s), the reactionary work that rages against those previous works (Cyberpunk, in which society is ruined by the very technological advancements that we make, which started in the late 70s and kept going until it died off around the mid noughties when people realized "oh poo poo are we living this?") which, in turn, would lead to its own reactionary work, trying to bring things more to a middle point between both sides (in this case, post-cyberpunk, in which the future is seen as being much like our own, bit more technologically advanced, deals more with BOTH the good and the bad of technological advancements. A lot of current sci-fi series and books nowadays have taken this movement).

It is faster to define it as the base of a genre (in comic terms, it would be the Silver Age of comic books), a deconstruction of the genre (the Dark Age of comic books) and the Reconstruction of the genre (the Modern Age of Comic Books).

Post Cyberpunk is boring because it is actually just real life.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

drat your life sounds fuckin rad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jack2142 posted:

Eh we all carry a super-converged external brain around in our pockets that allows us to be tracked by both the megacorporations and the government

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Captain Foo posted:

Eh we all carry a super-converged external brain around in our pockets that allows us to be tracked by both the megacorporations and the government

Also, if you're in a major city you're probably on camera almost any time you're in public.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Post-post-cyberpunk is where it is at.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Siegkrow posted:

Buddy, I've gotta tell you something about the world we live in today...

Siegkrow posted:

:shrug: poo poo has been this bad before, it'll pass.

:tif: but the fire is global temperature in 2100

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 10, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've always found cyberpunk very... ?identifiable? because I look at it as the natural result of capitalist degeneration: remarkable technology against an appalling backdrop of horrifying inequality, nightmarish poverty and sickening environmental corruption. As you probably have already noticed by the previous sentence, I am a profoundly cynical person.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Buddy, I've gotta tell you something about the world we live in today...

:shrug: poo poo has been this bad before, it'll pass.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crane Fist posted:

drat your life sounds fuckin rad

No its just living in Seattle. Amazon already built a couple lovely arcology balls.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I typed like three vicious rants about current events here, but I'll try to redirect that energy into context and away from the conversation we can all have essentially everywhere in the world anyway: how do refugees and immigration get dealt with in the sixth world?

is that just 'oh yeah, most of the world died in the pandemics and lots of large geographic regions got murdered and practically everybody who survived lives like poo poo in a slum as bit characters in the flavor text of various sourcebooks or as a player character with a radly cyberpunk backstory if they're super lucky', or are there subtleties worthy of effort posts about refugees and immigration in this universe? I guess we hear about Berlin leftists fighting for related causes, and we've at least got a few Turkish characters in the game, so it's not ignored

also I entirely support extremely wordy and discursive effort posts about the lore of this universe, the more supposedly irrelevant detail the better. I went words! that's why I'm here! anyway do what you want, thanks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

how do refugees and immigration get dealt with in the sixth world?
IIRC, the quickest route to immigration is being the citizen of/getting hired by a corp and having a good reason to get transferred to another country to work for them there.

Refugees, probably as undocumented, underpaid labor. At least the ones who don't fall directly into poverty or gangs. The lucky ones have the skills to start running or get a business going in a plywood shack on a street corner.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it all comes back to "Do you have money?"

If you have a lot, then you're probably a corporate citizen and can and quite will "immigrate" by being transferred between your corporation's extraterritorial properties in different countries. Even if your new neighbors don't speak the same language as you natively, you still presumably have shared culture, values, etc. to fall back on.

If you have some, then you'll probably still be fine? The middle class isn't what it once was but society is still likely to see you as a person and you'll probably be able to land in similar or somewhat reduced circumstances elsewhere.

If you're poor? Congratulations! You've just discovered one of the major means by which people become SINless! Flee to another country with little or no documentation, get forgotten about by the system except as an inconvenience to be shoved aside or a resource to be exploited, and then maybe have children who are now also SINless and very likely have no hope of ever changing that.

How welcoming of the various types of immigration a country varies, just like it does today, with the added super fun flavor of likely caveats such as:

1)your meta type (or if you're even some flavor of human, hi there AIs and free spirits!)

2) if you're Awakened, and if so what tradition you practice

3) if you're Infected or not

And many more!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're certain types of awakened immigration probably gets easier. You're a valuable resource.