Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

steinrokkan posted:

Bannon is Piter.

That's still Dourif. It'll never not be Dourif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Baron was cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
drat, that post is a rude slam on Baron Harkonnen.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Galaxy Brain: Barron is the Baron.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Ivanka is Feyd (complete with incestuous sexual desire), Trump Jr is rabban.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

Baron was cool

He wouldn't be out of place in Game of Thrones.

Trump is obviousy Beast Rabban, the sort of idiot who motivates a regime change due to incompetence and cruelty.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I don't know why the Sardaukar had to wear NBC suits in the movie, but it was kinda neat.

The book ones are still my favourite special forces.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

tight aspirations posted:

If a human/BG can control any nerve in their body, and effectively just ignore pain then why did she not do that?

basic hitler posted:

Only later BG have refined their abilities to that point, I think.
I presume there's some kind of limit when they put you in the Agony Booth.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"His name is a grilling word."
"you shall be called Usul, which is the base of the griller."

Murray Mantoinette posted:

e: wait your name isn’t Jamis is it?
I was a friend of Jamis. He taught me that when you grill, you pay for it.

THE BAR posted:

I don't know why the Sardaukar had to wear NBC suits in the movie, but it was kinda neat.

The book ones are still my favourite special forces.
Thanks to the movie and the video game, almost all the fanart of Sardaukar I've seen has them wearing power armor and carrying huge guns. It's weird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

basic hitler posted:

Unless you're about to sell it it doesn't matter

FINE

Player's Handbook
Setting Handbook

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I read it all because work is slow today.

It's a good start to a thing, for sure. I was hoping for more mechanics, but alas

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's just FUDGE, or more accurately, FATE with the Aspects stripped out. I will probably add in the rules for Dueling, Weirding, and Shield-Fighting maneuvers at some point. I wish I had something more concrete for measuring the political advancement of your House as a whole.

I'm so used to hacking together poo poo and pirating old OOP games that "Just convert the Company rules from Reign and adapt the maneuver rules from the original Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium seems like a reasonable thing to say, even though that's patently nuts.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's just FUDGE, or more accurately, FATE with the Aspects stripped out. I will probably add in the rules for Dueling, Weirding, and Shield-Fighting maneuvers at some point. I wish I had something more concrete for measuring the political advancement of your House as a whole.

I'm so used to hacking together poo poo and pirating old OOP games that "Just convert the Company rules from Reign and adapt the maneuver rules from the original Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium seems like a reasonable thing to say, even though that's patently nuts.

My MAN :hfive:

I love the Reign company rules, but in essence they're a type of characters in the same system as Reign, which I forget the name of. Either way, I think the simplest approach would just be to make Houses FATE characters, with their own skills and...I forget what they're called, but temporary circumstantial bonuses you can tag for a roll. Then decide how people-characters can assist or otherwise interact with house-characters.

There's a great tiny game called Rock of Tahamaat that Vincent Baker made just to highlight the number of questions begged by a single "roll" in most rpgs. But the part that comes to mind is that the titular character is basically a king, and can only take action against groups or intersections of groups: everyone with a particular family name, or trade, or city they live in. He can't say anything about you personally, but he can say "have everyone in Halloween Town put to death." But if he does, gently caress I'll just quote it

quote:

Since individual people are beneath Rock of Tahamaat's attention, it's possible that individual members of the group in question have escaped the group's fate. If so, they've done it at tremendous cost and they (most likely) remain in tremendous danger.

Right now, turn to any player whose character falls into the group in question, and ask her whether her character's suffered the fate of the group, or else escaped it at tremendous cost and with tremendous danger. She can choose whichever she prefers. Remember her answer and use it when you set her character's next scene. (It's possible for a player's character to die this way, but not Rock of Tahamaat.)

For example, suppose that the Wren family has now been put to public execution, and one of the players' characters is a member of the Wren family. Say "do you want to be put to public execution with the rest, or do you want to escape public execution at tremendous cost and with tremendous danger?" Suppose she says "escape it. (Duh.)" When it comes around to that character's turn, you might say this: "you're in the crowd in the public square on Vruk, hoping nobody recognizes you, watching the blood of your mother, father, brothers, sisters, neices, nephews, cousins, uncles, aunts, and husband filling up the collecting tubs. What do you do?"

This immediately jumped to mind because of Paul and Jessica's escape.

I'd suggest not making the bene gesserit in the same system, at least in your first pass, they're a weirder case: scattered, no single leadership, no line of inheritance, etc.

You could also check out Burning Sands, a Burning Wheel reskin that has a shocking resemblance to Dune in many respects, though it has no company rules as such.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Thanks to the movie and the video game, almost all the fanart of Sardaukar I've seen has them wearing power armor and carrying huge guns. It's weird.

One of these is not like the other!

Although that Dune 2 monstrosity is :krad:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Captain Aramsham went back to Salusa to become a pro-Imperial talk show panelist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Croon, jazzy planet.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

phasmid posted:

Captain Aramsham went back to Salusa to become a pro-Imperial talk show panelist.

Tonight on Ix News - Are Fremen actually people? The results may surprise you!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Halloween Jack posted:

I was a friend of Jamis. He taught me that when you grill, you pay for it.

Totally stealing this, tia

There might be hope yet; we have a new hire and while I was mixing up blackened seasoning I sneezed and mumbled "the spice must flow", he kinda cocked his head in my direction. I'll have to find out if he knows the weirding way.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Totally stealing this, tia

There might be hope yet; we have a new hire and while I was mixing up blackened seasoning I sneezed and mumbled "the spice must flow", he kinda cocked his head in my direction. I'll have to find out if he knows the weirding way.

Can he salt without rhythm?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sneezing is a shameful waste of the tribe's water

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Dune 2 video game depiction of Fremen is pretty awesome, too.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
dont post it or nuthin

yeah theyre rad

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I e always imagined Sardukar with tall hats and glorious mustaches. Like Janissaries. Which they basically are.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Dune is really good and cool

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

dont post it or nuthin

yeah theyre rad

holy gently caress the waves of nostalgia

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Saki posted:

Dune is really good and cool

holy gently caress the waves of nostalgia

I could click good ol' Radnor's face all day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Cluwne, honking planet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beginnings are such delicate times :henget:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cluwne, honking planet

Beast Rabban, HoP

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

dont post it or nuthin

yeah theyre rad

Man is there ever going to be a low-effort way to play Dune RTS games or what, GOG and Steam are poo poo for those of us that grew up playing Dune and Star Trek games.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Man is there ever going to be a low-effort way to play Dune RTS games or what, GOG and Steam are poo poo for those of us that grew up playing Dune and Star Trek games.

Dunno how old we're talking but Dosbox or someone has been putting old games into browser interfaces. I just started playing I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream in my browser.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
June: summer planet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I don't really understand the Duen game timeline, but Dune 2 is playable on Archive org https://archive.org/details/msdos_Dune_2_-_The_Building_of_a_Dynasty_1992

and Dune 2000 is available on so many sites it's not even funny.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The dune 2000 thats widely available is a stripped down multiplayer only client lirc

The dune 2000 installer is 16 bit and so it's not easy to get running

Emperor battle for dune can be found and works more or less out of the box if you dont mind piracy. EA didnt sell it last time i tried to play

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

basic hitler posted:

The dune 2000 thats widely available is a stripped down multiplayer only client lirc

The dune 2000 installer is 16 bit and so it's not easy to get running

Emperor battle for dune can be found and works more or less out of the box if you dont mind piracy. EA didnt sell it last time i tried to play

OpenRA runs Dune 2000 pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Here you go

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am dating a girl and I convinced her to read Dune.

She loves it and loves the Bene Gesserit and Jessica

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jessica is great in Dune and a huge paranoid moron in children of dune. I was so disappointed in her portrayal

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
We will have to see if she makes it to the next books

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baron Harkonnen did nothing wrong, Leto Atreides was just trying to be a tall poppy and disrupting the balance of power.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

etalian posted:

Baron Harkonnen did nothing wrong, Leto Atreides was just trying to be a tall poppy and disrupting the balance of power.

He let himself get so fat he needed the future version of a scooty puff to get around. He clearly did at least one thing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

Jessica is great in Dune and a huge paranoid moron in children of dune. I was so disappointed in her portrayal

yeeeah im rereading cod for the first time in over a decade and i dont remember it being this meh. i even enjoyed messiah but this is a bit of a slog so far.

lol assassin tigers lmao dafuq frank