Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DanielCross posted:

The absolute scariest thing about RE5 is that scientist note that mentions Licker Betas being able to breed. That is horrifying on so many levels, the biggest of which being that just a few Lickers escaping is now an epidemic rather than just a threat.

On that note, I sure hope the BSAA did a few more sweeps of Kijuju after Chris and Sheva finished.

Humour me a moment for wearing my science man hat while talking about a series of games where boss monsters grow at rates where they're literally creating matter out of nothing, but I'm pretty sure Kijuju's climate is among the worst possible for a Licker. They'd shrivel up into dessicated sandy husks in no time under those weather conditions, thanks in no small part to being skinless with an exposed brain.

Come to think of it, why the gently caress do they still have an exposed brain anyway? It's the outer-heart thing all over again (although at least in that respect the T-001 and T-002 were more like glorified prototypes than full-on mass-production models). Isn't the Licker-B supposed to be a deliberate creation ready for production on an almost industrial scale? The skin loss, sure, that's just an unpleasant and tolerable side-effect of the extra muscle mass bursting through (which seems to affect most T-Virus subjects in due time), but having your new monster prowling around with its loving grey matter on display just seems like the research team was a bit too relaxed in adapting what was formerly just an accidental mutation.

No eyes and an exposed brain on a monster "ready" for mass-production. Jesus, I hope that guy was fired before he was invaribly eviscerated by his crummy idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Re: Madhouse run.

Do not give four-legged molded a single chance. One jump slash + ankle swipe and you are definitely a goner. They are by far the most frustrating thing about Madhouse runs.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Spiffster posted:

Madhouse lives to its namesake. Still haven’t beaten Mia to get out of the tutorial level

Remember you can block her chainsaw rushing attack and take no damage. Almost no one seems to mention this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The block in RE7 is something that just visually never feels like it should be working (Especially during the Mia fight, since moments before Ethan's drat hand does get cut off by the same chainsaw) even though yeah mechanically it works fine.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GUI posted:

Remember you can block her chainsaw rushing attack and take no damage. Almost no one seems to mention this.

Yeah, the block even stuns her a bit so you can get some hits in. It's handy.

Very recent events may have given people reason to doubt blocking is an option, however.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, maybe having Ethan's hand chopped off was not a good idea from a gameplay perspective.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It also makes zero sense that you can do that. Among the most feared, dangerous enemies in RE are chainsaw guys and you stay the gently caress away from them.

They did this in RE6 too, to be mildly fair. During Jake & Sherry Ch4, when fighting the Ubistvo on the river, if you ever get hit by him, you have a few seconds to mash X and resist for your partner to save you. You will die if they don't, but you don't outright die from the hit.

Because reasons.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Lunethex posted:

It also makes zero sense that you can do that. Among the most feared, dangerous enemies in RE are chainsaw guys and you stay the gently caress away from them.

They did this in RE6 too, to be mildly fair. During Jake & Sherry Ch4, when fighting the Ubistvo on the river, if you ever get hit by him, you have a few seconds to mash X and resist for your partner to save you. You will die if they don't, but you don't outright die from the hit.

Because reasons.

I thought it was because they're both super powered wesker babies :raise:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SleepySonata posted:

I thought it was because they're both super powered wesker babies :raise:

pretty much yeah, one of them is literally a Wesker son and the other has ridiculous regenerative properties from some pseudo-Alice level of "bonded with the G-Virus" poo poo.

I'm glad RE2 is next on the docket because poo poo got really out of control in RE6, suddenly everyone was a mutant/clone/superhuman/monster that could grow tentacles 10x their size but still retract them. In terms of modern controls+classic atmosphere I have a feeling RE2 is going to set a new benchmark.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I have a feeling RE2 is going to set a new benchmark.

If it sells well. If not, Capcom will go right back to dumb action.

I really hate buying games at release for full price, but I think this is one of those vote with your wallet situations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vakal posted:

If it sells well. If not, Capcom will go right back to dumb action.

I really hate buying games at release for full price, but I think this is one of those vote with your wallet situations.

Trying to think of games in the last 5 years I've paid full price for...
MKX (bust)
BF3&4 (worth it)
Dark Souls 2 & 3 (so worth it)
GTA V
Last time I bought RE at release was RE4 HD I think. I'm just so glad the series seems to have a good vibe and some momentum about it again.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm happy to say I bought the pc port of remake, the sales of which capcom was reportedly happy with. Remember the hullabaloo of re7 not making enough money even though it was hugely popular or some poo poo though? I hope the suits dont gently caress this up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was browsing the RE wiki and reading about a bunch of dumb poo poo that happened in the storyline, which was pretty entertaining but then I found that the dumbest poo poo on there didn't have anything to do with the games but with the community. I guess that tends to be the case with fan wikis in general.

Apparently one of the admins is some massive Glorious Nihon turbonerd, so nothing in the localizations is good enough for the wiki. Lore stuff that was changed for the English translation? Nah, we'll use the original Japanese because that's what the creators intended. Established spellings for character names? gently caress you, Hunnigan from RE4 is now Hannigan because it's written as ハニガン ("Hanigan", pronounced like Hunnigan which is conveniently ignored) in the original Japanese, no matter what the baka gaijin English text or voice acting might say!

:eng99: I think I'll just go back to playing RE2.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 10, 2018

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Still not as good as the Silent Hill circumcision meltdown from a few years ago. Too bad storify is dead and it seems like all the compiled posts are lost forever.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there any greater sign of shaky mental health than anything beyond a mild fascination with Japanese culture in a white person?

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Doc M posted:

I was browsing the RE wiki and reading about a bunch of dumb poo poo that happened in the storyline, which was pretty entertaining but then I found that the dumbest poo poo on there didn't have anything to do with the games but with the community. I guess that tends to be the case with fan wikis in general.

Apparently one of the admins is some massive Glorious Nihon turbonerd, so nothing in the localizations is good enough for the wiki. Lore stuff that was changed for the English translation? Nah, we'll use the original Japanese because that's what the creators intended. Established spellings for character names? gently caress you, Hunnigan from RE4 is now Hannigan because it's written as ハニガン ("Hanigan", pronounced like Hunnigan which is conveniently ignored) in the original Japanese, no matter what the baka gaijin English text or voice acting might say!

:eng99: I think I'll just go back to playing RE2.

I remember talking to people like this on Usenet years ago. There was one guy who insisted that Claude (from Star Ocean 2) should have been Crawd.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"Insufferable weeb sperglords" subtopic aside for a moment, I'd just like to express my disappointment in the fact that there hasn't been a Saiga-12 shotgun in any of the main entries (including Revelations). We've got super-fictional triple-barrelled break-action shotguns (I do admittedly adore the Hydra in RE5 and RE6 for different reasons) but outside of the M1100 (at least when Chris is using it) all the shotguns are pretty slow while the Saiga-12 is treated like a leper. Given that raw power was always down to whatever magnum(s) a game featured, would a full-auto shotgun really be a game-breaker?

Probably, but then I blame the scenario designers for making shotgun ammo so common :v:

EDIT:
God drat, I forgot there was even a block mechanic in RE7. Shows how little it's even required until the end. Blocking a chainsaw with your arms...

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 10, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it's more so that the idea of what a shotgun is and what one does is very specific in a lot of people's minds (whether or not that idea fits reality) and a fully automatic one like the Saiga-12 breaks that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Make it something found close to the endgame and (relatively) awkward to obtain then, like the RL in RE3. Pay attention to the files/surroundings and be rewarded, that sort of jazz.

Just seems like a missed opportunity amidst all the bizzare weapons and stupidly powerful attachments that we already got over the years. Like a 10" barrel modification to a Desert Eagle. Because we really needed that gun to be even more of a Doomcannon.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention "fair enough" regarding general expectations in a videogame shotgun.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 10, 2018

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I think I'm the only person looking for RE to go full anime and just have a X-man style team of heroes lead by Jill.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

EDIT:
God drat, I forgot there was even a block mechanic in RE7. Shows how little it's even required until the end. Blocking a chainsaw with your arms...

It's pretty much a madhouse-centric mechanic, you don't really need to block on any of the standard difficulties. It's virtually mandatory on the hardest difficulty.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GUI posted:

Still not as good as the Silent Hill circumcision meltdown from a few years ago. Too bad storify is dead and it seems like all the compiled posts are lost forever.

circumcision? give me cliff notes, sounds hilarious.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vikar Jerome posted:

circumcision? give me cliff notes, sounds hilarious.

Found the archived saga: https://archive.is/X0gkm

Short version:
A mod got too big for his own britches, and was editing some of the pages, particularly the ‘Walter Sullivan’ page to suggest he had become a mass murderer tormenting the protagonist and haunting his apartment because Walter had been circumcised as a child.

Anybody who argued with him that it wasn’t relevant to the plot and should be removed, hoo boy did he get mad. ‘Mutilating babies’ penises’ was used multiple times unironically.
E: poo poo, looks the the archive of the saga is no longer, but this talk page from the wikia gives a glimpse into some of the madness:

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:49806?useskin=oasis

This page quotes a few of AlexShepard’s insane rants
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3373665/3373665/

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/BfykE

Short version (but that gallery with the long version is hilarious):

A mod got too big for his own britches, and was editing some of the pages, particularly the ‘Walter Sullivan’ page to suggest he had become a mass murderer tormenting the protagonist and haunting his apartment because Walter had been circumcised as a child.

Anybody who argued with him that it wasn’t relevant to the plot and should be removed, hoo boy did he get mad. ‘Mutilating babies’ penises’ was used multiple times unironically.

best part was it wasn't just the 1 game, he retconned every piece of symbolism in the entire Silent Hill series to be about circumcision, I admire his dedication to dicks

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SleepySonata posted:

I think I'm the only person looking for RE to go full anime and just have a X-man style team of heroes lead by Jill.

I was seriously hoping for a Jake-centric character action hack and slash after the RE6 stinger cutscene.

Edit: REvengeance

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was seriously hoping for a Jake-centric character action hack and slash after the RE6 stinger cutscene.

Edit: REvengeance

didn't think I wanted this but if Platinum helped make it, I totally would play this

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

best part was it wasn't just the 1 game, he retconned every piece of symbolism in the entire Silent Hill series to be about circumcision, I admire his dedication to dicks

The real kicker was that after they had to get a community wide vote to remove him from power and fix what he had done they GAVE POWER BACK TO HIM LATER :wtc:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CharlestonJew posted:

He really spiraled out of control starting with #4 and all of the ‘possible circumcision symbolism’

I remember that spine chilling moment in the game, when Henry puts all the pieces together:
Walter was abandoned by his parents and raised in an orphanage which was run by a cult who indoctrinated him to believe his birth mother was the apartment. And that he needed to ritualistically murder 21 people to reunite with his ‘mother’.

‘Thank God I still have my foreskin’ Henry muttered, shaking his head. ‘Or that could have been me, Eileen.’

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Played quite a bit of REmake yesterday. I've died two times and both of them were traps. Rest should be smooth sailing since I'm in the labs with over 10 shotgun shells, 12 magnums and around 30 handgun bullets. At this point I can just shoot my way through the rest of the game without worrying about crimsons.

The puzzles haven't really aged well since most of them are really simple and mostly involve pushing things. RE tradition I guess.

The game is suprisingly generous with supplies on Hard mode but I guess they carefully estimated how much an average blind run needs health and ammo.

I've never tried the Real Survivor mode but I might just have to since that requires you to be extra careful with your resources if you want to avoid backtracking

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I told of how I got killed after a long span before, I made up for that and started playing again the other night. Then I got to the loving moving wall/statue puzzle and managed to get myself squished. I'm not even sure if my save is before or after 42. That's the worst thing about playing on easy, feel like its god mode and think you cant die.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

codo27 posted:

I told of how I got killed after a long span before, I made up for that and started playing again the other night. Then I got to the loving moving wall/statue puzzle and managed to get myself squished. I'm not even sure if my save is before or after 42. That's the worst thing about playing on easy, feel like its god mode and think you cant die.

When I was younger I played RE3 with a game shark, mainly to give me invincibility. Turns out though, detonating an exploding barrel when you're right next to it still kills you despite that. I was in the Dead Factory and never saved. Welp.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I honestly remember fuckin nothing about RE3 aside from the very beginning, an alleyway near stairs that always crashed with the gameshark, and that cursed jesus water treatment puzzle

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LadyPictureShow posted:

He really spiraled out of control starting with #4 and all of the ‘possible circumcision symbolism’

I remember that spine chilling moment in the game, when Henry puts all the pieces together:
Walter was abandoned by his parents and raised in an orphanage which was run by a cult who indoctrinated him to believe his birth mother was the apartment. And that he needed to ritualistically murder 21 people to reunite with his ‘mother’.

‘Thank God I still have my foreskin’ Henry muttered, shaking his head. ‘Or that could have been me, Eileen.’

loving lol

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

codo27 posted:

I honestly remember fuckin nothing about RE3 aside from the very beginning, an alleyway near stairs that always crashed with the gameshark, and that cursed jesus water treatment puzzle

What codes were you using!?

And yeah I remember the old water treatment plant. Good times.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I remember a lot of RE3 but my most anger rising bit is that drat water dropper puzzle.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only things i remember about RE3 were the mercenary team, thinking Jills outfit was extremely dumb for that game, and that there was a dodge button? well you could dodge anyway

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RE: RE3, when I was a kid my cousin and I dragged a little 11" TV out to the barn/garage at our family cottage and we played RE3 in the dark in the middle of the woods. it was great. I got scared and went outside to pee and saw a bear. I was still more scared of Nemesis.

I vaguely remember having a lighter with no oil in it, and finding a rope soaked in oil, and the game saying I couldn't light it without oil, and that confusing me for way too long (misunderstanding that they meant oil for the lighter). or maybe I am misremembering because I am old and it has been like a decade.

I don't remember too much about RE3 besides a maze of alleyways, a gate opening after you put some colorful gems in a compass or clock, and how scared I was the first time Nemesis followed me ~*~through a loading screen (door)~*~ it blew my goddamn mind

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The CGI model for Jill in the cutscenes looked weird as gently caress too

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Good soup! posted:

The CGI model for Jill in the cutscenes looked weird as gently caress too

They all looked like they were made of silly putty or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The prerendered FMVs on the PSone RE games certainly didn't age well. I especially like how the zombie in the cop car in RE2's intro (which scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it as a kid) just has Leon's head model.