Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I started reading Giant Days today.

It is good. I'm glad that we're seeing a lot more of these female-focused Slice of Life series. I'm really enjoying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

It is good. I'm glad that we're seeing a lot more of these female-focused Slice of Life series. I'm really enjoying them.

Giant Days is amazingly consistent too. One of the more recent issues had a fantastic fantasy sequence as Esther tried to understand what Daisy would do as an archaeologist. Her vision was somewhere between Indiana Jones and a lesbian Lara Croft.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jedit posted:

Is anyone else reading Highest House?

I'm keeping up with it and enjoying it so far. The art isn't the best but the story and setting are interesting enough.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I Hate Fairyland ended. I think it was either on the verge of outstaying its welcome or maybe already had but throughout I did enjoy Skottie Young's art.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I Hate Image Comics was a great FCBD spinoff. Something about playfully taking the piss out of their bestsellers felt good... like an Emmys opening where the host roasts all the prestige series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ms. Marvel writer, G Willow Wilson is having a Dark Horse/Berger Books comic announced at SDCC.
https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1015377917604290561

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know this whole time I just kinda assumed Willow was marvel exclusive lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She was as of December 2014, so it's possible that expired in December. But that said, "Marvel/DC exclusive" really just means "can't work for DC/Marvel."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new creators on Archie are Nick Spencer and Marguerite Sauvage and it's taking up legacy numbering, starting with issue #700.
https://www.newsarama.com/40723-archie-welcomes-new-creators-700-legacy-numbering.html

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man the writer of that article is listed as an editor but i spotted two obvious spelling/grammar mistakes in a ten second glance, one in the third word of the drat thing lol

Anyways i wish Marguerite was cowriting cuz she makes everything gay as hell and id like to see spencer squirm underneath that

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robert Kirkman has a previously unannounced comic out this week with Chris Burnham art.
https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1016608611865423872

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah the Sega Saturn method of marketing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kirkman and Gimple? Surely nothing could go wrong with that team...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new creators on Archie are Nick Spencer and Marguerite Sauvage and it's taking up legacy numbering, starting with issue #700.
https://www.newsarama.com/40723-archie-welcomes-new-creators-700-legacy-numbering.html

So, who's going to be tortured psychologically first?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

So, who's going to be tortured psychologically first?

Jughead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

ah the Sega Saturn method of marketing
Looking forward to someone launching a comic for $2.99!

EDIT: How the gently caress do you "win" comics marketing by launching a comic no one will be able to buy since orders were due in awhile ago? Or are they doing the Marvel method of sending comics to stores and counting them as sales?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covok posted:

Gaz-L posted:

Giant Days is amazingly consistent too. One of the more recent issues had a fantastic fantasy sequence as Esther tried to understand what Daisy would do as an archaeologist. Her vision was somewhere between Indiana Jones and a lesbian Lara Croft.
:agreed:
If you like Giant Days, you might also be interested in By Night, a new miniseries by the same author. It's not a slice-of-life story, but I really like the first issue.

Also, maybe come over to the Newspaper Comics thread and check out some of Allison's earlier work on Bad Machinery.

Endless Mike posted:

Looking forward to someone launching a comic for $2.99!

EDIT: How the gently caress do you "win" comics marketing by launching a comic no one will be able to buy since orders were due in awhile ago? Or are they doing the Marvel method of sending comics to stores and counting them as sales?
That thread says they matched the orders to another series (Oblivion Song). So basically, yeah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone take the plunge on Die! Die! Die!? I'm a Chris Burnham fan.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone take the plunge on Die! Die! Die!? I'm a Chris Burnham fan.

It's very much Kirkman in his jokey, unserious mode. Everybody's really long-winded about their snark.

If that isn't a deal-breaker for you, then you should enjoy it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I finished the Complete Phonogram by Gillen/McKelvie the other day. My take on it was that it was mostly just a comic about people who really like music, with some specific musical tastes and a sorta-specific timeframe. The magic stuff came across as a somewhat iffy-executed metaphor for a clique of judgmental people and how they interact with each other, and how it how they (barely) grow as people, because a literal take on the magic just doesn't seem worthwhile, even with The Immaterial Girl kinda leaning harder into it.

I thought it was ok. I kinda got the feeling that it wanted to say more (or thought it was) but I'm unsure if I was missing something, and if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them. It definitely feels like a sort of proto-Wic+Div. I probably enjoyed The Singles Club the most although as a 40 year old who wasn't into Britpop in England it kinda bounced off of me at times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=25031&lang=1

Avatar press is on sale at Comixology if you're thinking about picking up their stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zachack posted:

I finished the Complete Phonogram by Gillen/McKelvie the other day. My take on it was that it was mostly just a comic about people who really like music, with some specific musical tastes and a sorta-specific timeframe. The magic stuff came across as a somewhat iffy-executed metaphor for a clique of judgmental people and how they interact with each other, and how it how they (barely) grow as people, because a literal take on the magic just doesn't seem worthwhile, even with The Immaterial Girl kinda leaning harder into it.

I thought it was ok. I kinda got the feeling that it wanted to say more (or thought it was) but I'm unsure if I was missing something, and if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them. It definitely feels like a sort of proto-Wic+Div. I probably enjoyed The Singles Club the most although as a 40 year old who wasn't into Britpop in England it kinda bounced off of me at times.

I had a friend who absolutely loved Phonogram but she was completely obsessed with (and a bit of snob about) Britpop so I assumed that that probably explained why she liked it. Especially because I don't think I knew anyone else who read it. I guess I probably wasn't wrong.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey so Stray Killers is really really good. Why didn’t anyone tell me?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

The funny thing is that Gillen would probably agree with you on most of this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dark Horse is adapting William Gibson's original Alien 3 script into a comic:

https://www.cbr.com/william-gibson-alien-3-comic-book-series/

As someone who has gone over the years from really disliking Alien 3 to defending it, I'm really excited to see this take of it come out, even if not in movie form.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That’s *not* the monks/wooden planet one, right? Is it the one with Hicks and Newt escaping a space station with an airborne Alien virus and Ripley out of commission for the entire thing? If so, the scene where an Alien first manifests read like some primo body horror, hope the artist does it justice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vincent Ward wrote the wooden planet one. I want a comic of that too :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished reading Elsewhere #8. It ends with the author revealing that the series has been canceled due to low sales. Oh well... here's hoping Copperhead stays strong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone else read Outpost Zero? I enjoyed it a lot and Sean McKeever still writes really good teen characters. Hopefully without having editors dictating everything he does, it'll work out better than his Teen Titans run, and the plot seems like it'll be really, really interesting. Short version: it's set on a snow-covered planet settled by a generation ship with no contact to the rest of humanity (if they even exist). The writing in the first issue really had me wanting more, and the art was solid throughout out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Willow is really spreading her wings now that she's off exclusivity

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1019295781071835143?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

She could've done that while on the exclusive contract if she wanted. Exclusive means you just can't work for the other big company.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chip answered a question on Twitter that his contract says he can't write "superheroes" for companies other than Marvel. He may be joking, since, well, he's Chip, but maybe not.

But yeah, exclusives have never prevented anyone from working anywhere other than the other big company.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1018969587361013760

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait... does that mean you could, say write a book for Vertigo as long as it was a pure horror/sci-fi/crime thing while under exclusive to Marvel?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay well regardless she's doing two new books now all of a sudden and it pleases me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

Wait... does that mean you could, say write a book for Vertigo as long as it was a pure horror/sci-fi/crime thing while under exclusive to Marvel?

Under Chip's contract, yes, but they'd probably raise unholy hell over at Marvel if you ran it by them first (like you'd have to).

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Weatherman #2 is out this week.

It continues to be pretty dang good. I didn't think they could top the unnerving scene from the previous issue, but they did. This book is definitely tugging at my heart strings while scratching that psychedelic sci-fi itch.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does Howard the duck count as a superhero?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There is a dark horse incredibles 2 tie in book and it has art by gurihiru

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1019643071460466688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU