Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I thought it was that young wife fart joke. What's the dick joke?

Yeah, I recalled it being a Mesopotamian fart joke that was found on a tablet or something.

E: My error, it was Sumerian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7536918.stm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Romans, apparently.

Yup. Silphium.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I recalled it being a Mesopotamian fart joke that was found on a tablet or something.

Yeah, my mistake, it's the oldest known joke in English.

quote:

The oldest British joke dates back to the 10th Century, and uses the traditional question and answer format to suggestively poke fun at Anglo-Saxon men.

"What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? A key."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, people that act like humanity is in some kind of moral free fall are stupid. We've always found stuff like dicks and farts funny. All the sexual shenanigans people get up to now people have always gotten up to. People are weird and gross and that's fine. We've always been weird and gross. We just are. We're dirty, hairy apes primarily ruled by our stomachs and are junk.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Somebody dig up that post about the nuclear submarine during the cold war tracing an eight-mile-long dick shape in the ocean.

That's my favourite dick joke story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, people that act like humanity is in some kind of moral free fall are stupid. We've always found stuff like dicks and farts funny. All the sexual shenanigans people get up to now people have always gotten up to. People are weird and gross and that's fine. We've always been weird and gross. We just are. We're dirty, hairy apes primarily ruled by our stomachs and are junk.

In ancient Rome it was perfectly normal to have murals of guys with giant dicks in your living room: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priapus

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Looks like we found the inspiration for Kate Beaton's pony.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mister Speaker posted:

Somebody dig up that post about the nuclear submarine during the cold war tracing an eight-mile-long dick shape in the ocean.

That's my favourite dick joke story.

Still happens, every few months somebody posts a screenshot from one of the sites that shows the tracks of flights in the TFR airpower or AI airplane threads of an airliner test flight or military training flight drawing a dick in the sky across half the US. In the military case, sometimes an SA goon was onboard, iirc.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why wouldn't they?

I dont mean that literally. Im saying its a side of middle age culture that is rarely seen. Similar to when they found the graffiti at Pompeii. However, it is surprising to see those naughty doodles inside those manuscripts, since they were written by monks and owned by aristocrats. I guess even they arent above toilet humor.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Still happens, every few months somebody posts a screenshot from one of the sites that shows the tracks of flights in the TFR airpower or AI airplane threads of an airliner test flight or military training flight drawing a dick in the sky across half the US. In the military case, sometimes an SA goon was onboard, iirc.

Yeah didn't some USAF pilots get disciplined for it very recently?

I can't really retell the submarine one properly, but I do remember the best part was the closing line, something like "That's the big secret: when you don't know where a Boomer is, it's somewhere in the Arctic Circle drawing an eight-mile-long dick.'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah didn't some USAF pilots get disciplined for it very recently?

I can't really retell the submarine one properly, but I do remember the best part was the closing line, something like "That's the big secret: when you don't know where a Boomer is, it's somewhere in the Arctic Circle drawing an eight-mile-long dick.'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ChocNitty posted:

I dont mean that literally. Im saying its a side of middle age culture that is rarely seen. Similar to when they found the graffiti at Pompeii. However, it is surprising to see those naughty doodles inside those manuscripts, since they were written by monks and owned by aristocrats. I guess even they arent above toilet humor.
They're copied by a bunch of cloistered (man) children dawn to dusk or later if they are springing for the candles. Not letting them doodle dicks in the margins is gonna be an untenable policy just for morale.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

As a teenager my parents probably had to play the "find something he hasn't tried to stick his dick in" game when navigating through my bedroom. Couple that with a shorter life expectancy and no internet to waste time with and I'm surprised there isn't more lewd art from those days.

Uh. What.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Re slavery chat earlier,

The Elephantine papyri are very interesting, containing the family archives of "a man called Ananiah, a Jewish temple official; his wife, Tamut, an Egyptian slave; and their children, over the course of forty-seven years" in the 5th century BC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantine_papyri#The_family_archive_of_Ananiah_and_Tamut

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

That would have been an interesting twist to The Hunt for Red October

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cacafuego posted:

That would have been an interesting twist to The Hunt for Red October

What do you think doing a Crazy Ivan is?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
He always draws the right ball in the bottom half of the hour.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that a sex joke, as well? The "husband's lap" part reminds me of Shakespeare's "country matters" sketch in Hamlet.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
https://archive.org/details/EDIS-SWDPC-01-04

Just a recording of a bugle call.

In 1890.

By a survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

And the bugle was used at Waterloo, obviously.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

A kid who witnessed Lincoln's assassination lived long enough to appear on TV in the 50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPoymt3Jx4

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Proteus Jones posted:

What do you think doing a Crazy Ivan is?

It's a dynamite-throwing unit in Red Alert?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

duckmaster posted:

In 1890.

Technology recording literal history is so freaking cool.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

duckmaster posted:

In 1890.

Wonderful!

It's also interesting that the accents of the two people who speak sound perfectly modern to my ear, though the man at least must have grown up in the 1840's.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Isn't the modern British accent [family] farther departed from colonial accents than modern newscaster American English?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Isn't the modern British accent [family] farther departed from colonial accents than modern newscaster American English?

I think a Southern accent is also directly descended from colonial English.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

It is. The Southern aristocracy very deliberately emulated the British aristocracy, including accents.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Technology recording literal history is so freaking cool.

I’ve always wondered what medieval music sounds like, and how close our approximation it is to the real thing.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This might be the earliest born person of whom a photo exists - there are a number of other contenders, most notably Conrad Heyer who was provably born in 1749 and a shoemaker called John Adams who claimed to have been born in 1745. In this case there is only very scant information at all about the photo; it is in possession of the New York Historical Society, whose archival catalogue states: "Ceasar [sic!], born a slave of Van R. [Rensselaer] Nicoll, son of William, in 1737 at Bethlehem, N.Y., where he died in 1852. The last slave to die in the North. This daguerreotype was taken in 1851. His 2nd master was Francis Nicoll, son of Van R. Nicoll and his 3rd master Wm. Nicoll Sill, grandson of Francis who left all to his wife Margaret Sill" The only independent sort-of-verification of this is an 1850 census entry for a "Cesar Nicholls", aged 110, in the household of Margaret Sill, but that's no definite proof that he really was this old. In any case, it's virtually certain that Caesar was the earliest born former slave to be photographed; if his biographical information is correct, he survived three generations of masters and (going off of the history of slave emancipation in New York) and probably only gained his legal freedom in 1827.

When Caesar was (possibly) born in or around 1740, his masters were still subjects to the British crown, Japan enjoyed the world's highest literacy at about thirty percent and in the Holy Roman Empire, a certain Johann Sebastian Bach prepared to publish his Goldberg Variations

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bony tony posted:

It's a dynamite-throwing unit in Red Alert?

It places the dynamite! PLACES.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
There's a recording of Otto Von Bismarck too, you can go listen to the Iron Chancellor's voice on his Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1889_recording_by_Otto_von_Bismarck.ogg

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLduvnW-FA

Pope Leo XVIII, almost certainly the earliest born person to be filmed.

In 1810 the French were being pushed out of Portugal in the Penninsular War and the US annexed the Republic of West Florida. Mind blowing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

duckmaster posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLduvnW-FA

Pope Leo XVIII, almost certainly the earliest born person to be filmed.

In 1810 the French were being pushed out of Portugal in the Penninsular War and the US annexed the Republic of West Florida. Mind blowing.

Widely considered to be a bad move by the US

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

High southern, yes.

Much like Upper RP, it's dying out pretty fast. Granted I'm in a more rural area, but I don't know of anyone under 75 who has that accent. I'd imagine Georgia's coast - Savannah, St. Simons - where there's old money who continue to send their children to New England boarding schools and practice noblesse oblige might trend slightly younger with the accent.

The rest of us have speech patterns more closely aligned to the language of Honey Boo Boo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

It is. The Southern aristocracy very deliberately emulated the British aristocracy, including accents.

Funny how the plummy British upper class accent probably came from them having hosed up jaws from inbreeding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember reading about how an actor studied how medieval English people likely sounded a lot more like Southerners, so he ended up playing a Macbeth that sounded like Gomer Pyle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember reading about how an actor studied how medieval English people likely sounded a lot more like Southerners, so he ended up playing a Macbeth that sounded like Gomer Pyle.

Which reminds me of that episode of Gomer Pyle where he sings the song Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha which led to me finding out that Jim Nabors had an absolutely stunning singing voice

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
We actually don't know the identity of the first person to ever be photographed.

In 1838 Louis Daguerre was working on the process that later swept the world by storm, the Daguerreotype. He had set his equipment up and pointed it out his window, at Boulevard du Temple, in Paris, France. The exposure lasted about 7 miniutes.

The thing is, with these early long exposures, the only things that were captured clearly were things that kept still during the entire process. That's why we see those stands that many claim were used for Momento Mori photos, to prop of the deceased for 'one last family photo'. Those stands were actually used to help the subjects hold long, 10+ miniute exposures without moving around too much.

So, then, the first person ever photographed. There was a shoe shiner on the corner, and at some point during Dagurre's exposure, some gentleman stopped to have his shoes cleaned. As he stood there, he was fairly still.... And thus, we have him (and a few other figures, if you look closely) preserved as the first human to be photographed.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jul 12, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So you want to make an electric telegraph.

The year is 1809. The electric light bulb hasn’t been invented. The electric motor hasn’t been invented. In fact, no one is yet aware of the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

So how can you turn a signal on the wire into something perceivable on the other end?

quote:

At the receiving end each wire is connected to one of a series of thirty-five electrodes that are immersed in an acid bath. Completion the circuit caused the evolution of bubbles of hydrogen at the electrode corresponds to a particular letter or a number.

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/images/history/von_Soem.html

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That drat Satyr posted:

We actually don't know the identity of the first person to ever be photographed.

In 1838 Louis Daguerre was working on the process that later swept the world by storm, the Daguerreotype. He had set his equipment up and pointed it out his window, at Boulevard du Temple, in Paris, France. The exposure lasted about 7 miniutes.

The thing is, with these early long exposures, the only things that were captured clearly we're things that kept still during the entire process. That's why we see those stands that many claim were used for Momento Mori photos, to prop of the deceased for 'one last family photo'. Those stands we're actually used to help the subjects hold long, 10+ miniute exposures without moving around too much.

So, then, the first person ever photographed. There was a shoe shiner on the corner, and at some point during Dagurre's exposure, some gentleman stopped to have his shoes cleaned. As he stood there, he was fairly still.... And thus, we have him (and a few other figures, if you look closely) preserved as the first human to be photographed.

If you've ever wondered why everyone seems to look so stern in old photographs, this is the reason - nobody could hold a smile for the long exposure time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Say Nothing posted:

If you've ever wondered why everyone seems to look so stern in old photographs, this is the reason - nobody could hold a smile for the long exposure time.

If you ever want an easy dig at a figure from before circa 1900, just say “there is no known photograph of <person> smiling”.

It’s usually true.