Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Jump in and break the hold, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy fuccccccccccck

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He's not allowed to do that as a face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn that was good

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I've only been watching nxt for like 2 months now but holy poo poo that tag match was amazing

they sold that knee like no other injury I've ever seen, I really though mustache mountain was gonna retain a couple times

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I had a busy day today so I forgot to hype it. A lot of NXT wrestlers told me the tag match was GREAT.

Michael Cole - who is at NXT tapings all the time said it was the best match he had ever seen at Full Sail.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

I continue to be utterly baffled by Lacey's gimmick.

I think she's a great example of them using too much reality to let gimmicks work. She's a hard working super mom who's a former marine instructor, but this just doesn't gel with her gimmick of being an uppity southern belle (who enjoys the pin-up aesthetic).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Wednesday:

https://twitter.com/smFISHMAN/status/1017056826804920327

https://twitter.com/WWEPerformCtr/status/1017195827440128001

Counter balance:
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1017141106977452033

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn Juice owns

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Juice owns

Developmental just before and after the Performance Center was a really tough place. Known a lot of wrestlers who had PTSD (which I don't want to trivialise) type symptoms over it. Joe Cabray/Luther Ward who now runs a promotion in Ireland named OTT that's doing very well developed tremendous anxiety over turning 30 years old as he felt it was over for him. Waking up every day in a panic state. Then you had Bill Demott running wrestlers through drills to the point of physical failure and beyond & suffering crippling injuries.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think firing Bill DeMott was one of the best things WWE did with regards to the Performance Center.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy on the left is worse than any Sam Roberts or the other one, christ.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's bizarre that between what you'd assume a corporate entity like WWE does, and what New Japan's traditions would be, that the NJPW dojo seems much more geared towards producing an all-around performer, especially in the ring, but even with character and gimmick presentation. I mean, look at Juice, and compare CJ Parker, or hell, even loving Kona now. Is there something to the young lion thing, where you get to just work on the wrestling side, no pressure to be actually interesting in terms of your character, and THEN having time to work on that, away from your home territory, so there's no risk if your first idea fails? Juice, to be fair, did that a little backwards, having CJ Parker fail and then being a lion, before hitting on 'Flamboyant' Juice.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

I think firing Bill DeMott was one of the best things WWE did with regards to the Performance Center.

I've been blocked by maybe 1,000 people over this on Twitter and attacked on here in the early days for it. But Sara Del Rey was signed for the same reasons as Bill was.

She is/was a tremendous wrestler but she has an austere personality and thumbs down'd a lot your favs signings especially early on in NXT.

Post-Bill she lightened up and was responsible for a lot of signings that might not have been signed.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's bizarre that between what you'd assume a corporate entity like WWE does, and what New Japan's traditions would be, that the NJPW dojo seems much more geared towards producing an all-around performer, especially in the ring, but even with character and gimmick presentation. I mean, look at Juice, and compare CJ Parker, or hell, even loving Kona now. Is there something to the young lion thing, where you get to just work on the wrestling side, no pressure to be actually interesting in terms of your character, and THEN having time to work on that, away from your home territory, so there's no risk if your first idea fails? Juice, to be fair, did that a little backwards, having CJ Parker fail and then being a lion, before hitting on 'Flamboyant' Juice.

Always amazed at the number of days the PC is shutdown or closed off.

Ronda is shooting something. New recruits are being inducted. A PPV practice. Fan access type stuff.

Then so much focus on competitive weightlifting/athletics on their social media instead of people Wrestling in the ring.

Then there's the rings/trainers to wrestler ratio.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

After the first one the referee warned him not to do it again. Taking a DQ to retain isn't a face move.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Aphrodite posted:

The guy on the left is worse than any Sam Roberts or the other one, christ.

Nah, Rob Naylor is cool, maybe a little annoying but that's just his genuine enthusiasm for wrestling wheras Roberts and Rosenberg are forced schills. Rovert would have more specifics, but he's been around independent wresling forever and was a backstage guy in developmental when Dusty was around, and helped with the women wrestlers before the revolution started

Troxartas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Accident Underwater posted:

After the first one the referee warned him not to do it again. Taking a DQ to retain isn't a face move.

Yeah, referee drake gives him a pointed 1 with his finger after he breaks up the hold really late. Either admonishment or "you used your 1 break up" or something.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rovert posted:

Then so much focus on competitive weightlifting/athletics on their social media instead of people Wrestling in the ring.

Is that why every wrestler In NXT gets absolutely shredded.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That tag match gently caress I almost cried

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

God having the crowd just constantly dual chant both teams got annoying pretty fast

It's the only time I have ever thought that an honest to God hot crowd not trying to get themselves over was an active detriment to a match. They just WOULDN'T SHUT THE gently caress UP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Troxartas posted:

Nah, Rob Naylor is cool, maybe a little annoying but that's just his genuine enthusiasm for wrestling wheras Roberts and Rosenberg are forced schills. Rovert would have more specifics, but he's been around independent wresling forever and was a backstage guy in developmental when Dusty was around, and helped with the women wrestlers before the revolution started
Yeah, he's been around Internet wrestling fandom for ever as well and has always been that rare infectiously positive voice. Just hearing him on the old Joe vs the World podcasts, talking deep on weird poo poo like the Global Wrestling Federation, or his love of Teddy Hart or 80s job guys (aka wimpies)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've listened to Sam since he was a producer for Opie and Anthony ten years ago and there's no one more genuinely interested in wrestling. He is the least fake person they have, he's just a little neanderthal resembling worm man

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rovert posted:

Developmental just before and after the Performance Center was a really tough place. Known a lot of wrestlers who had PTSD (which I don't want to trivialise) type symptoms over it. Joe Cabray/Luther Ward who now runs a promotion in Ireland named OTT that's doing very well developed tremendous anxiety over turning 30 years old as he felt it was over for him. Waking up every day in a panic state. Then you had Bill Demott running wrestlers through drills to the point of physical failure and beyond & suffering crippling injuries.
An old friend of mine had a bit-great experience there too (Belfast dude who went there about 7-8 years ago. You maybe know him too!)

E: real name removed

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 12, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Your Parents posted:

I've listened to Sam since he was a producer for Opie and Anthony ten years ago and there's no one more genuinely interested in wrestling. He is the least fake person they have, he's just a little neanderthal resembling worm man

Yeah, I watched a bit of Roberts on YouTube raving about how great he thinks Tetsuya Naito is. He knows his poo poo, he just looks like Jon Glaser's more annoying little brother.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Give us the scoops, Rovert. This sounds like an actual interesting story.

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1017410761960841217

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wazzu posted:

I think she's a great example of them using too much reality to let gimmicks work. She's a hard working super mom who's a former marine instructor, but this just doesn't gel with her gimmick of being an uppity southern belle (who enjoys the pin-up aesthetic).

Her gimmick is "Republican" I don't understand what is hard about this

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tag title match was sublime. It's the little things; I assume it takes a ton of awareness and skill to get into a finisher just inches – but no closer – to making a tag.

Had to mute the first half of it, though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Tag title match was sublime. It's the little things; I assume it takes a ton of awareness and skill to get into a finisher just inches – but no closer – to making a tag.

Had to mute the first half of it, though.

What are you

UNDISPUTED

MOUSTACHE MOUNTAIN

(gently caress I hate Full Sail sometimes)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

DarkstarIV posted:

For real, this is like when those two women quit the first season of Tough Enough after a morning's workout (except this is way funnier).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Haha that rules.

"I was unaware that I would be required to fall down in this career. Thank you and good day."

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

"Alright, time to take a back bump"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbhaqsBJB0&t=15s

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That tag match was something else. Probably one of the best NXT TV matches ever. They really took their time getting to the hot tag and it paid off. I think Tyler Bate is a bit much in a singles match but he is goddamn great in a tag team. It was also awesome to have competent reffing play into the ending of the match. Drake was going to call the DQ so Bate had no option.

Glad on behalf of Kairi's spine and hips that the anchor is now established as a finisher and the crowd reacted big to it.

I hope that every WOC in NXT is lined up to beat Lacey Evans.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Answered this on Twitter. But Christina Vargas. Friends with Alexa Bliss from bodybuilding competitions. Seemed can't miss to be honest. But yeah took one bump and told Sara Del Rey she couldn't do this and quit. I think better that than finding it out after three years or whatever. These days she's still in the fitness World and a very happy mother to her daughter.

She kinda created a new rule where prospective female NXT tryoutees are requested to work out at their local Wrestling school to find out if they like it and if their body can hold up. NXT doesn't sign people more or less blind anymore.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
having not actually watched the new ep yet, I guess they announced Ciampa vs Black will be on TV in a few weeks? Really, really, really hoping that ends in a gently caress finish and a redo at Takeover Brooklyn, because I don't really want to see Ciampa vs Gargano III yet :(

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

having not actually watched the new ep yet, I guess they announced Ciampa vs Black will be on TV in a few weeks? Really, really, really hoping that ends in a gently caress finish and a redo at Takeover Brooklyn, because I don't really want to see Ciampa vs Gargano III yet :(

Uh, clearly they're gonna do Dream/Black for the title at Brooklyn. I saw it in a dream so it must be true

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
oh no

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dan Matha is kind of an idiot. Just one look at his twitter profile would show that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A great little read:

https://twitter.com/WWEPerformCtr/status/1017786879180247042

https://twitter.com/eric_adelson/status/1017185381878521856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

For pete's sake Shawn you cut your hair, enough with the bandana! You're not fooling anyone! You're a christian now, you're not supposed to care about these things anymore.