Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

This is movies but MI continues to be arguably the best action franchise...ever?

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1017213237249617920

I feel like at this point if you're "late to Radiohead" you've been clinically dead for the past two decades

edit: lmao sorry i just woke up, i just now realized he meant it's making him LATE TO THE RADIOHEAD CONCERT, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know people like to hate on Borat, but if he could punk Ron Paul again, or better yet, the younger Paul vampire, that'd be great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Borat is so good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've always thought Ali G and Borat was stupid as poo poo and never got much from it.

But in 2018 I think now I'm now ready to meet Cohen at his angle.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 12, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate cringe comedy so I can't watch it but I appreciate what he's doing.

https://twitter.com/anylaurie16/status/1016851066246197249

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

esperterra posted:

Borat is so good.

Seeing Borat in the theater with hundreds of other people (and when it was just released so before its catchphrases got run into the ground) is maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I hate cringe comedy so I can't watch it but I appreciate what he's doing.

https://twitter.com/anylaurie16/status/1016851066246197249

I just... how do they not even bother to google the person they're interviewing with? He's not exactly low profile in the US any longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If these people were smart they wouldn't be conservatives.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

I just... how do they not even bother to google the person they're interviewing with? He's not exactly low profile in the US any longer.

Well he makes up fake names and stuff.

But also if you actually read or listen to him there's usually plenty of red flags. They're just dumb and focus on the part where they get praised.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would imagine?? he has some kind of disguise on again but yeah idk. I'm surprised he's doing another project like this considering just how hard should be for him to trick people any more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eric Andre has said that he would have people come on and they would have no idea what his show was about at all. They weren't trying to hide it or anything but nobody on the guest side did any kind of research or due diligence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, when I said Handmaid's Tale felt like a 1 season show and I didn't know how they'd do another season of this? Yeah, I take that back. I'm 8 episodes into season 2 and most of this feels fairly essential to the plot of the series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

A Sometimes Food posted:

Something I've wondered for a while. What's the story with you av/username/title?

The name came from a game of Quiplash, the av and text from me trying to write something that fit the title

I had intended to rotate through characters/text but I never found good melancholy versions of anyone but Velma.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In Andre's case that seems more on their publicists and agents than the celebrities themselves. Like, if you're doing a movie or something you're doing 100 interviews. You're not going to google them all to make sure they're not secretly parodies or nazis or something. That's why you're paying someone.

The likes of Sarah Palin have those people too, obviously, but they're not supposed to be promoting movies but actually standing for principles and stuff. So like if you don't notice that the "vet" says he served with the "postal agency" or that the Israel event is celebrating their "7th" anniversary then it exposes your own shallowness.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

Back when he was doing his HBO show he talked a little about how they pulled off interviews with people like Newt Gingrich. Cohen's producer would wear a slick suit and his best upper class British accent and talk to the guests for a long time and convince them to come in. Then at the last minute Cohen would swap in dressed as Ali G and conduct the interview.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol they’ll never get it back either

Not with the direction they might be taking it, no.

muscles like this! posted:

Eric Andre has said that he would have people come on and they would have no idea what his show was about at all. They weren't trying to hide it or anything but nobody on the guest side did any kind of research or due diligence.

Lance reddick just showed up like that.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 13, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There were basically two types of guests on The Eric Andre Show, people who had no clue what they were getting into and people who were actually fans of what he was doing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not with the direction they might be taking it, no.

Lance reddick just showed up like that.

Lance Reddick punching a hole in the desk and then doing that song was a thing of beauty. IIRC Eric Andre wasn’t expecting at least the punch.

Lance is a national treasure. Hell, I named two pet fish after the guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's also the "Daily Show Affect" where like you know exactly what you're getting into but you think you're clever enough to come out on top.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to see this Moore video.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Lance Reddick punching a hole in the desk and then doing that song was a thing of beauty. IIRC Eric Andre wasn’t expecting at least the punch.

Lance is a national treasure. Hell, I named two pet fish after the guy.

He's fricking rad. He's very talented all around and has a sweet rear end voice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1017551430734045184

Lol he got everybody

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's fricking rad. He's very talented all around and has a sweet rear end voice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMv43Q5VxH8

This is still one of my favorite Lance Reddick vids.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Seeing Borat in the theater with hundreds of other people (and when it was just released so before its catchphrases got run into the ground) is maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie.

It's Borat or the first Jackass for me. Both of them had me in tears in the theater and in the parking lot after.

STAC Goat posted:

Well he makes up fake names and stuff.

But also if you actually read or listen to him there's usually plenty of red flags. They're just dumb and focus on the part where they get praised.

Cohen said that after the success of Ali G Indahouse and especially Borat, it was incredibly difficult to get the Bruno movie made, because people were onto his act.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There were basically two types of guests on The Eric Andre Show, people who had no clue what they were getting into and people who were actually fans of what he was doing.
And during the course of the show they will often switch types, in either direction.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

misguided rage posted:

And during the course of the show they will often switch types, in either direction.

Yeah, one of my favourites is the episode where... Sarah Drew, I think it was... slowly cottons on to what's happening and ends up totally going with the flow.

(Or the two episodes where Ryan Phillipe thinks he can hack it, and then it turns out he loving can not.)

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There's a special place in my heart for Jack McBrayer thinking he was ready for Eric Andre, before he basically got psychologically tortured for a whole segment.

Jack Black managing to roll with the punches was great though.

Plus apparently they got Ann Coulter to go on Mostly 4 Millenials, so that should be fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 13, 2018

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
God I love Letterkenny. That weird rapid fire dead pan dialogue just works for me. I'm just worried that all the weird Letterkennyisms are going to make their way into my vocabulary. And now pitter patter and go watch Letterkenny!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Why does MST3K season 12 have a kickstarter? Is netflix too loving cheap to shell out tiny amounts of money?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first one did too iirc

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got why the first one did.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The description on the site says that they're funded by Netflix for season 12 but this is to provide extra funding to that production and future MST3K related projects. Nerds love to throw money at stuff so why not set up a way to allow people to do that, as well as give them some incentives and thanks in the forms of shout outs and physical things?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No disrespect to Sandra Oh, who was excellent and deservedly nominated for an Emmy, but how do you skip Jodie Comer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The description on the site says that they're funded by Netflix for season 12 but this is to provide extra funding to that production and future MST3K related projects. Nerds love to throw money at stuff so why not set up a way to allow people to do that, as well as give them some incentives and thanks in the forms of shout outs and physical things?

Honestly, it's really more of a merch store. It's just some of the items are just really expensive and allow getting involved directly with the show.

There aren't any funding goals or anything because they don't need them. If fans want to buy merch and keep the series even more cheap for Netflix to make, sounds fine to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah that makes more sense than asking for money for more episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not a Joel guy but I thought the reboot was just OK. Jonah is fine, I think the guy doing Crow is doing a good job but I just don't like the guy doing Servo. Maybe it's because Crow had two different actors and Kevin Murphy was Servo from the beginning but it's like the changed the character. Bill definitely tried to keep Crow in line with what Trace did and the new guy is following that, but the new Servo is just different. I'm not necessarily opposed to changing characters but I guess maybe I just don't like this guy's read on the character?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I read that HOUSE OF LEAVES pilot. I...think I sort of liked it. There are moments in it that reminded me why I liked that book to begin with. I don't remember if it made it into the book but they watch a tape marked 'Lemonade' that I thought was pretty freaky (Not Beyonce related). However I think it needed to be the first two episodes instead as the script jumps around a whole lot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

was the word "house" blue in the script

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arist posted:

was the word "house" blue in the script

Haha, yep it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I'm not a Joel guy but I thought the reboot was just OK. Jonah is fine, I think the guy doing Crow is doing a good job but I just don't like the guy doing Servo. Maybe it's because Crow had two different actors and Kevin Murphy was Servo from the beginning but it's like the changed the character. Bill definitely tried to keep Crow in line with what Trace did and the new guy is following that, but the new Servo is just different. I'm not necessarily opposed to changing characters but I guess maybe I just don't like this guy's read on the character?

Actually Servo was different in the first season, it was J. Elvis Weinstein. His voice was actually a bit similar to the new guy's.