Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone can write ultra-violence. Not every show can write "a man is so lame that he doesn't realize he is trapped in a simulation that is running at 5% power and glitching out all around him."

But yeah the fight sequences in Pickle Rick are visually interesting and well constructed and save it from being bad.

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others. I didn't mind that Pickle Rick was so action-focused because it was done with a lot of thought and humor. Even the Family Guy chicken gag was pretty good the first time around, and I don't remember complaining that there was a 5 minute Die Hard fistfight in the middle of my comedy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others. I didn't mind that Pickle Rick was so action-focused because it was done with a lot of thought and humor. Even the Family Guy chicken gag was pretty good the first time around, and I don't remember complaining that there was a 5 minute Die Hard fistfight in the middle of my comedy show.

Purge planet got one of the biggest laughs out of the whole series for me.

“DO YOU WANT TO CUT BACK TO THREE WEEKS AGO!? WHEN YOU WERE STILL ALIVE!?” was goddamn perfect.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others.

Look at this chump who doesn’t appreciate a good phone call with Taddy Mason.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Purge planet got one of the biggest laughs out of the whole series for me.

“DO YOU WANT TO CUT BACK TO THREE WEEKS AGO!? WHEN YOU WERE STILL ALIVE!?” was goddamn perfect.

I really liked the episode. I mean, when they figure out what's going on on the planet that night, instead of beating around the bush and coming up with some other name for it and just leaving us to know that they're spoofing The Purge, he immediately calls it a purge, and ties it to the film: "It's like The Purge, Morty! That movie, The Purge?" Then he says "purge" about a thousand more times. Just in case, you know, you missed the reference. I found that hilarious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

No, it definitely had some good bits. But compared to Pickle Rick, it's a lot more generic and gratuitous with its violence. Killing people with lasers in a generic-looking robot suit isn't as fun to watch as a cobbled-together monstrosity built from rat bones and sewer trash screwing a Phillips-head into a giant rat's skull and then swapping to an exacto blade to cut another one in half.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the AA battery-powered laser gun. As gratuitous action sequences go, Pickle Rick has some particularly creative and ridiculous ones. Plus, Danny Trejo parodying himself. I think it might actually have been one of the first episodes of the show I've seen in full.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

I really liked the episode. I mean, when they figure out what's going on on the planet that night, instead of beating around the bush and coming up with some other name for it and just leaving us to know that they're spoofing The Purge, he immediately calls it a purge, and ties it to the film: "It's like The Purge, Morty! That movie, The Purge?" Then he says "purge" about a thousand more times. Just in case, you know, you missed the reference. I found that hilarious.

I’m a sucker for when rick makes references to ridiculous movies like the purge or saw. He mentions the purge a few times in the first two seasons, doesn’t he?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The pickle episode's problem was the weird eastern european embassy stuff. They're terrorists and have folklore about a pickle man? Dumb. Woulda been better if it was him overcoming nature the whole time

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I’m a sucker for when rick makes references to ridiculous movies like the purge or saw. He mentions the purge a few times in the first two seasons, doesn’t he?

My favorite in that regard was Lawnmower Dog (aka Scary Terry):

quote:

It's like Inception, Morty, so if it's confusing and stupid, then so is everyone's favorite movie.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PostNouveau posted:

The pickle episode's problem was the weird eastern european embassy stuff. They're terrorists and have folklore about a pickle man? Dumb. Woulda been better if it was him overcoming nature the whole time

lol automatically assuming 'threatening' means 'terrorist'. Also the computer guy freaking the gently caress out and screaming "It's because I threw half away my sandwich!" is one of the best lines in the episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

lol automatically assuming 'threatening' means 'terrorist'. Also the computer guy freaking the gently caress out and screaming "It's because I threw half away my sandwich!" is one of the best lines in the episode.

it is a good line because rick does some battlefield medicine with that guy's half a sandwich so it IS that dude's fault

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PostNouveau posted:

it is a good line because rick does some battlefield medicine with that guy's half a sandwich so it IS that dude's fault

:aaaaa:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

haha, didn't realize that was a revelation, yeah the pickle that rick staples to himself to fix the hole he got shot in himself is from a half a sandwich he dug out of the garbage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PostNouveau posted:

PostNouveau posted:

haha, didn't realize that was a revelation, yeah the pickle that rick staples to himself to fix the hole he got shot in himself is from a half a sandwich he dug out of the garbage.

:tizzy:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This show can be pretty clever, if you're paying attention and have a an open heart.

Or, conversely, gently caress the pickle man show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most important character note from Pickle Rick is the way Rick talks to the rats is the same he talks to everyone else he slaughters... they are all rats to him.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

The most important character note from Pickle Rick is the way Rick talks to the rats is the same he talks to everyone else he slaughters... they are all rats to him.

they're just robots morty!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

One of the rats finally earned a name:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I thought Pickle Rick was really funny if only because of the continuous escalation of the concept into later Die Hard sequel territory. It reminds me of McBain in the Simpsons which is some of my favorite stuff in that show.

Also South Park was never funny and it's relevance mostly came from being uniquely topical for an animated sitcom.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Bust Rodd posted:

The best part is at the end when he complains about the therapist being “such a monologist” when earlier he was delivering a monologue to a rat he was in the process of killing.

I think Pickle Rick is one of my fav eps because of Pete Serafinowicz and also how it shows just how crazy Rick really is. Plus Morty’s look of concern, confusion and resignation when Rick turns himself into a pickle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And at the end of it Rick seems to realise he's ultimately accomplished absolutely nothing that he particularly cares about besides completely humiliate himself in front of his family and their therapist.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Errrm, Dan Harmon got harassed off Twitter...for a terrible cringe-humour video...

...Yeah.

I feel like doing a re-watch of this show instead of asking "when's season four?"
Should be fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the alt right people doing this. They snagged a bad cringy channel 101 video that dan deleted in 2012 (according to my research) and are using that to say he's a pedophile because he did a short film about some guy who has sex with a baby doll? I can't find the short so I have no clue if there was a point to it other than to be shocking. It seemed like it sucked, hence him deleting it.

So get used to people digging up your past bad jokes and getting you fired all because you hate the piss guzzling rapist, racist potus.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CelticPredator posted:

It was the alt right people doing this. They snagged a bad cringy channel 101 video that dan deleted in 2012 (according to my research) and are using that to say he's a pedophile because he did a short film about some guy who has sex with a baby doll? I can't find the short so I have no clue if there was a point to it other than to be shocking. It seemed like it sucked, hence him deleting it.

So get used to people digging up your past bad jokes and getting you fired all because you hate the piss guzzling rapist, racist potus.

Exactly this. They got James Gunn fired, so they're all cranked up to collect more scalps.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It was a parody of Dexter. It was really stupid but it never was trying to be anything but really stupid. I mean, this is also the guy who made Laser Fart.

I think the MAGA idiots are so full of themselves from James Gunn that they seem to forget that not everyone works for a company as timid as Disney.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't wait until they "discover" doc and mharti.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CelticPredator posted:

I can't wait until they "discover" doc and mharti.

Unbelievable tales would go p well with their exposee. "Now that...was unbelievable!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dan Harmon is 1000% correct on his liberals rant.

Actual loving nazi Donald J "Grab em by the pussy" Trump is elected president but rather than deal with that, we're far too busy wringing our hands arguing over which 10 year old tasteless joke disqualifies you from making comedy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Actual loving nazi Donald J "Grab em by the pussy" Trump is elected president but rather than deal with that, we're far too busy wringing our hands arguing over which 10 year old tasteless joke disqualifies you from making comedy.

This is our punishment for caring about Twitter.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm not going to defend Gunn's or Harmon's lovely jokes, but don't pretend like Cernovich and Shapiro are actually outraged by any of this: two men who have made rape jokes more recently than anything they found on Gunn and most of the people calling for Gunn to be fired/prosecuted were supporters of Roy loving Moore - An Actual Pedophile, so they are probably definitely full of poo poo.
:shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL if you think anything will happen to Dan Harmon or Justin “my entire body of work is suspicious” Rolland after they just signed a mega-millions contract with the 2nd biggest media conglomerate in the country.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Considering how much of a alcoholic manic depressive Harmon's is getting off twitter is the best thing that could have happen to him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I must have missed this rant.

I'm not really paying attention, either.

What did he say?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 23, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL if you think anything will happen to Dan Harmon or Justin “my entire body of work is suspicious” Rolland after they just signed a mega-millions contract with the 2nd biggest media conglomerate in the country.

Unlike James Gunn who was basically just making self financed indy movies?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is it the liberals or the alt-right who cancelled him? Alt-right people on the rick and morty reddit are whining about liberals ruining everything and I'm assuming liberal people here are whining that alt-right people are going after liberals. I guess that's what you get when you make your beliefs ambiguous and attract admiration and ire from both sides.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Cojawfee posted:

So is it the liberals or the alt-right who cancelled him? Alt-right people on the rick and morty reddit are whining about liberals ruining everything and I'm assuming liberal people here are whining that alt-right people are going after liberals. I guess that's what you get when you make your beliefs ambiguous and attract admiration and ire from both sides.

I don't know a whole lot about this situation but if anyone has anything to gain from stirring up poo poo around rick and morty it's 'alt-right' or 'alt-lite' morons. You try and get him fired, and everyone who was going reeee about schezuan sauce becomes a nazi. Incendiary social media antics is practically a science now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cojawfee posted:

It's well documented that Mike Cernovich dug up deleted tweets from Gunn to get him fired because Gunn insulted Trump, declaring that the tweets made Gunn a literal pedophile, and last I heard tried to go after some people supporting Gunn in the same manner. The followers are just saying the left did this, and a few really stupid woke people think this is good but not many.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
didn't Weird Mike's wife have to rush in once while he was streaming, drunk off mom wine and talking about young boys?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I doubt anything is gonna happen to Harmon but seconding its probably a good thing for him because he was a vitriolic rear end in a top hat 99% of the time on it

Really the moral of the story is social media is poopdick incarnate and nobody should use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The James Gunn poo poo is already starting to backfire on Disney pretty hard. Even IF this became an actual news item and not some stupid MAGA chud social media brigade, it'd be really dumb of Turner to make any move at all.