Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Spatial posted:

isn't that sacha baron cohen's honeypot site? lol

it wouldn't surprise me, the graphics are suspiciously well done

e: yeah it is lol

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/12/sacha-baron-cohen-truthbrary-website-who-is-america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i feel like satire like this in tyool 2018 is a bad idea

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think they call that bros law

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

the onion writers probably just plagiarize whatever articles are in wapo these days, who's gonna tell the difference?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spatial posted:

isn't that sacha baron cohen's honeypot site? lol

thanks for ruining it

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i was just asking questions!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Spatial posted:

i was just asking questions!!

you know who else asked questions?

adolf hitler.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't think he quite gets the finer art of psychotic web design, there's not enough font color changing, the background isn't a single tiled image and the graphics all look like someone was actually trying and knew what they were doing

it's like how modern syfy cheesy movies are completely self-aware of how cheesy they are and it ruins the charm

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah there's plenty of arguments against it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i don't think he quite gets the finer art of psychotic web design, there's not enough font color changing, the background isn't a single tiled image and the graphics all look like someone was actually trying and knew what they were doing

it's like how modern syfy cheesy movies are completely self-aware of how cheesy they are and it ruins the charm

the occasional image misaligned and blocking the text however was a nice touch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
colbert's character was a huge mistake and i blame him for like 1.7% at least of our current pol climate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

colbert's character was a huge mistake and i blame him for like 1.7% at least of our current pol climate

i mean, its reasonable to look at him and think "who could possibly take this seriously?"

the answer of "half the country" took us all by surprise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

the occasional image misaligned and blocking the text however was a nice touch.

yeah it got half-way there, which i appreciate, it just feels like whoever was designing it subconsciously kept trying to make it not-horrible :v:

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean, its reasonable to look at him and think "who could possibly take this seriously?"

the answer of "half the country" took us all by surprise

even back when he was relatively new this was clear though, remember this happened way back in 2006 because presumably someone thought colbert was serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X93u3anTco

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd say zero percent. his character was a reaction to reactionaries and i'll agree with your point if you can point to a single instance where he pushed the envelope forward for reactionary idiots instead of letting their heads bob all 'this guy gets it'

he's also smart enough about his position that if he did do that at any point he would have made it a point to call it out which i don't recall him ever doing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

to be clear i'm not saying that there weren't idiots out there who thought he was on their side. i'm saying he didn't actually contribute anything to them, even accidentally, like chris rock's infamous bit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the best thing that chris rock bit ever produced was when they implied on the office that steve carell's character had a habit of repeating it at work

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my mom hated colbert for years because she thought he was for real

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
a surprising amount of people have problems with recognizing sarcasm and parody

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's like some form of low-functioning sociopathy

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

incels interlinked posted:

This correlates with the rise in vaccination :thunk:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

incels interlinked posted:

I don't have a problem recognizing sarcasm and parody but I do have a rapidly decreasing tolerance for "ironic" racism, sexism, etc. etc. etc.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

colbert's character made the people he was satirizing seem silly and harmless. it's the same cutesy, jokey-joke attitude that caused fallon to stroke trump's hair. nothing to worry about, they're taking their lumps, see? o'reilly loved having colbert on his show for that reason

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

same but jon stewart, but not for the reasons lovely media commenters disliked him at the time

the number of embarrassingly toady interviews with phenomenally lovely people (kissinger, musharraf, yoo, rice, etc.)

the rally to restore sanity, a ludicrously embarrassing embrace of the mythical middle, like imagine that this your message

‘clarified the message he intended to convey at the rally: that too many have "bought into the idea that the conflict [in America] is left versus right" when the conflict is actually "corruption versus not-corruption" and that "both sides have their ways of shutting down debate."”

here’s a clip that shows you contradicting yourself! gotcha!

buying into mavericky john mccain but he’s not alone in that

and so on

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my favorite part is the people skipping meals because they can't get their flour-and-heavy-metals bottle open

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's being sold in convenience stores now too

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Never mind the satire, the revelatory interview stuff is out of fashion. Getting somebody to admit on camera that they kinda think we should exterminate the Jews was shocking and shaming 10 years ago, but now we have people actually saying "Yes, let's exterminate the Jews" and winning votes by it. Revealing that the emperor has no clothes doesn't do any good when we've spent the past year or three having the emperor slap his wrinkly ballsack in our faces.
(Stolen from this AVClub article)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

it's like some form of low-functioning sociopathy

it's a development level

some people never even develop a sense of humor

kinda like how some people never develop the understanding that their authority figures are beholden to the same rules of society as they themselves are

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

it's being sold in convenience stores now too

hosed up

why can’t we get sushi like in Japanese convenience stores

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hosed up

why can’t we get sushi like in Japanese convenience stores

so you... want to get your sushi at the 7-11?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Leck posted:

I mean, lol, but

if it turned over quickly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Leck posted:

it’s Japanese so :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

7-11's food is always of reasonably good quality and much better than most other convenience stores :colbert:

this might only be true in the south because i remember going off to college in new york and everyone there thinking i was crazy for saying i regularly got food from 7-11, apparently them having actually good food is a regional thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nyc has bodegas to fill that niche

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

nyc has bodegas to fill that niche

what's the difference besides ownership?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Midjack posted:

what's the difference besides ownership?

You'd pass 5 bodegas before you got to the 7-11

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/SlothFactsAsh/status/1017802203728416768?s=19

Kia creator shuts it down, reddit admins turned it back on because reasons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seen on the highway today: matte blue vinyl wrapped Tesla model S with license plate NO ENGN

mhm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:hai:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that’s the scarlet letter of the engineering world.

see, the guild’s had a hand in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my friend who is a sales guy never drives anymore since he moved downtown and takes the metro to work reserved a model 3 like...a year ago or whenever. and he went for the total max ultimate super package, AWD and everything.

with all the news he's like "yeah i don't think i want it" but posted some stuff on reddit about being able to pick it up soon and he had 5 DMs from different people telling him they'd pay 140% of his cost for the car if they sold it to him as soon as he could get it.