Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Indeed. Merc Krub >>>> Footknight. No one should play FK when Merc exists, especially for Legend.

+30% healing talent + boon of shallaya is mandatory on him and just utterly swims on temp health almost as much as Pyro/BW and even more than Zealot. This defacto right here makes him way better than FK which is just death by a thousand papercuts, or a few cuts in reality.

The shared paced strikes is amazing for the team and yourself, and with swift slaying + paced + 10 PvC/5 Aspeed Charm and 5 Aspeed/5Crit Halberd, you dont even need to do funky block cancelling--just spam the hell out of lights and occasional heavy to proc Paced if you're murdering rattes too quickly.

It's obscenely good and you can just sit in a doorway murdering rattes and chaos with spamming lights. Handgun with 10 PvC/10 PvM with Conserv Shooter also means you can 1 body shot hookrattes from far away and just murder every special in the game and feels so good to use. Merc Krub is probably one of my favorite classes to play. And of course that revive clutch.

also most important, dat hat

what im saying is, always be playing merc krub and forget foot knight exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Foot knight takes damage taken for the team down to champ levels which is worth way more than you’re giving it credit for

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
If I had to pick one strongest class for legend it would be footknight. He's been the highest winrate character for me at least. Not to say there aren't other strong classes for legend, but I feel like things really need to be stacked against you for a footknight game to fail.

He has all the tools you need to handle a lot of tough situations. He can survive getting bursted down with his high health combined with the the damage reduction aura. With the 30% aura and the health talent he sits at about 321 effective health. The charge disables multiple elites and the cooldown is so short that if you get hit by anything big you can just use it again. With a conc pot you can stunlock bosses.

I think a large part of my bias towards footknight is how effective halberd and handgun are. They're so effective at killing everything at a baseline that I gravitate towards being better able to keep the team and myself alive during tough spots.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In all the time I've played this game it never occurred to me to use the WHC to tank deliberately. I mean sure I've taken advantage of the immunity to light attacks but just standing in front of a horde and laughing never occurred to me, it feels amazing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like using the pyromancer portrait on slayer Bardin, it seems like he's lit his beard on fire.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

i lost a legend game tonight because sienna bot was holding a bolt staff charge and absolutely would not throw it, causing it to walk around the map at like 10% speed. this game is such a piece of poo poo

edit: game 2, three silent maulers. i don't know why anybody would play this when killing floor 2 exists

ndub fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 14, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another point for foot knight, while doing a rough deed on into the nest we had a stormfiend spawn on us twice, both times my friend on foot knight saved the day and knocked it off the cliff, clutching a save the second time as the last one standing against it in a narrow space.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ndub posted:

i lost a legend game tonight because sienna bot was holding a bolt staff charge and absolutely would not throw it, causing it to walk around the map at like 10% speed. this game is such a piece of poo poo

edit: game 2, three silent maulers. i don't know why anybody would play this when killing floor 2 exists

This is going to sound dumb as someone who has played both games a ton, but Vermintide 2 looks more polished even if it actually isn't. The UI design in KF2 looks like a placeholder that was never replaced. Also melee is meaty :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know if Merc is better as such, but FK seems plenty good to me.

Here are my talents for Waystalker:

What do you think? Vaul's Quiver and Khaine's Thirst are probably the no-brainers here.

Lvl 5 - should I go for attack speed or crit chance? Glaive is pretty slow, but if I'm triggering Swift Slaying more that would matter less.

As for Daughter of the Hunt, I know crit power is a trap, but 30% seems like a lot...switch it out for Arcane Bodkins anyway?

Asrai Focus I assume is a keeper, the measly 20 temp health from Lifebloom Arrows doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade-off.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In case anyone is wondering how the console release went, I thought I'd share some
Error: Disconnected from host
I've held off for months because my friends that might play this play on xbox and
While I like the game in general it's difficult to level up when
get any rewards. It's weird that there's no system to rejoin you when
I mean pubg on xbox really isn't polished and even it
So, in conclusion, this would be my first Fatshark game and to some it up I'd say

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I played a bunch of Merc Kruber recently for the frame and going fully into crit rate and power causes some nasty results. Turns out a halberd with 30% crit chance, hitting more targets than usual with an extra 15% power on top is absurd, who could have known?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if Merc is better as such, but FK seems plenty good to me.

Here are my talents for Waystalker:

What do you think? Vaul's Quiver and Khaine's Thirst are probably the no-brainers here.

Lvl 5 - should I go for attack speed or crit chance? Glaive is pretty slow, but if I'm triggering Swift Slaying more that would matter less.

As for Daughter of the Hunt, I know crit power is a trap, but 30% seems like a lot...switch it out for Arcane Bodkins anyway?

Asrai Focus I assume is a keeper, the measly 20 temp health from Lifebloom Arrows doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade-off.

I don't do too much Waystalker but the attack speed could depend on your weapon. Glaive could use faster swings, but any dual wield weapons already have a crit boost and a little more never goes amiss.

I prefer Arcane Bodkins over crit power since it's more reliable. Longbow headshots are a noticeable chunk of damage off of bosses, when you hit them.

If you want more reliable ammo faster, Kurnous' Blessing isn't awful and can reduce your reliance on Vaul's Quiver in case you wanted something else at that tier. Otherwise I personally agree on Asrai Focus/Vaul's Quiver.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sykic posted:

I played a bunch of Merc Kruber recently for the frame and going fully into crit rate and power causes some nasty results. Turns out a halberd with 30% crit chance, hitting more targets than usual with an extra 15% power on top is absurd, who could have known?

Halberd Merc is so insanely good that I don't use it anymore with him; it's with my Foot Knight now and once the 2H sword gets buffed I'm passing it on to the Huntsman. I distinctly remember a Righteous Stand run going bad in the final tome cave, me versus the last scraps of a Chaos horde plus 2 Warriors and a bunch of Maulers, one of my dead teammates going "welp" as I fought against them with my back to the wall. Thanks to a clutch shout and the Halberd, I walked out of that cave with a sliver of temp HP, and the doubting teammate could say nothing but "oh".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I don't do too much Waystalker but the attack speed could depend on your weapon. Glaive could use faster swings, but any dual wield weapons already have a crit boost and a little more never goes amiss.

I prefer Arcane Bodkins over crit power since it's more reliable. Longbow headshots are a noticeable chunk of damage off of bosses, when you hit them.

If you want more reliable ammo faster, Kurnous' Blessing isn't awful and can reduce your reliance on Vaul's Quiver in case you wanted something else at that tier. Otherwise I personally agree on Asrai Focus/Vaul's Quiver.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. I changed second tier to Arcane Bodkins.

Still not sure about Attack Speed vs. Crit Chance on the first tier. There's probably a mathematical way to determine which is best, but...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, the KF2 comparison is funny to me because I bought this game because I was loving sick of KF2. It's not like I even dislike KF, but right now I have nearly twice as much hours in VT2 after only a couple of months when I've had KF2 for years. This game is way better for me, warts and all.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

If you are using Glaive, you don't need attack speed that much since you can push-attack, which is Glaive's 1-2 attack but much faster. Take Crit especially if you are using Daughter of the Hunt.
Arcane Bodkins is probably not worth it for Glaive since it really benefits only against Maulers and Chaos Warriors. Don't hit Maulers in the head even if you have Arcane Bodkins and it only adds 3.5 damage to Glaive's downward chop headshot damage against CWs. On other hand, if you crit with glaive, DotH makes it 30% more dead which probably is just as dead as without the talent. Bodkins might be worth it with Longbow against bosses, DotH is safer since it doesn't require headshots. Take Hunt if you have lots of crit in your gear, take Bodkins if you can land headshot reliably, I guess.

Consider Kurnou's Blessing for the last tier if you like shooting things. I personally find that having it allows shooting far more often, especially against bosses and the cooldown is short enough anyway that it's rare that it's on cooldown when I find myself needing it.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I still play and like the game as well. I just occasionally hit a period where I don't play any video games for a week or two unless specifically asked to co-op.

I never joined the discord in question precisely because I was worried about echo chamber negativity. There's plenty to legitimately be mad about, but at some point you're just making yourselves miserable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Daughter of the hunt doesn't make them 30% more dead, it makes the bonus damage from the crit 30% stronger. It's very much not great at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know that crit power is underwhelming, but 30% has to count for something, right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
merc kruber works ok but don't go overboard yall. compared to huntsman "hello all your specials are now dead oh and also that boss too" and foot "yeah i can solo this even with the jank give me a second" knight the merc has some really nice points but i've yet to run into too many that really matter beyond feeling really good. you're not one-shotting anything important that you weren't before, your main benefit is you are getting assloads of crits but crits are about the 5th or 6th thing you should be caring about after basic damage, flexibility, health, etc. 30% crit rate is great and i will take it if it is on free offer np but i'm also not willing to sacrifice that much for it

also the GET THE gently caress UP shout from merc...i seriously have trouble seeing the value in that in most cases. even on champion if you yell someone up while they're in the poo poo they are just dying a second later anyway. so you need to yell someone up after you have cleaned their area a little bit. at that point, you could have just held the revive button for a second.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have had it save people who got knocked down right after the rest jumped a ledge, but then again that could also be prevented by playing better.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Ravenfood posted:

Daughter of the hunt doesn't make them 30% more dead, it makes the bonus damage from the crit 30% stronger. It's very much not great at all.

I forgot just how dumb the crit calculation is. So DotH is better on weapons that have high crit damage multiplier. Like dual weapons.
Also, Arcane Bodkins apparently doesn't increase the damage of critical headshots so the talent becomes less valuable the more crit you have.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Xaris posted:

Indeed. Merc Krub >>>> Footknight. No one should play FK when Merc exists, especially for Legend.

Of course the flip side to this argument is that foot knight has 220 health, 30% damaged reduction, and an ult that can insta-kill bosses if you get them near ledges.

Yes, technically merc Kruber can shout bosses off ledges but it's much less reliable due to cooldown length.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The revive shout is an awesome game saver but it puts you in a really awkward place where you don't get to use your power at all if you think you might need it anytime in the next 3 minutes (and games take 5 seconds to go bad so you can never know that), and if you actually use your power when it's available then you don't have the revive when you need it

The shared paced strikes really is the better part of merc.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Funny, I always used Blade Barrier for the extra defense, with the rationalization that the rest of my team wouldn't / couldn't be prepared for the paced strikes and thus wouldn't get much utility out of it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gonna be going bells deep into chasing frames for Huntsman Kruber, what are his ideal traits and what should I be using for weapons and/or rerolling for when it comes to his jewelery?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I know that crit power is underwhelming, but 30% has to count for something, right?

So the math for this is a crit gives X amount of extra damage added to the normal damage, crit power is 30% of X not the total. So if you normally hit for 20 damage and a crit adds 10 damage to that 30% crit power will make the crit do 13 damage instead of 10.

Merc rezz shout is loving amazing, on convection of decay at the last tome sienna/elf(don't remember) went down to a SV overhead because it was one of the super long ranged ones. I was ranger so i head to get her up but salty gets there first some how aggroing 3 other SV who instantly down him via overheads, as i rush to help i get stabbed from behind then the SV shove me into the same fucker who back stabbed me and i also go down. Merc krub is the last one up with now 7 ambient SV aggroed on him so he runs into the center of us then shouts and bam the entire team is revived and we don't lose any grims.

I'm thinking about swapping to resource combatant on every weapon because 2 seconds is gently caress nuts when you're rocking a high crit weapon. Combine it with a CD reduction on the longer CD ults and you should have an extremely high up time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Zealot talk, what's the best way to set up his flail, swiftslaying or resourceful combatant? I miss having both of them on slayer active at once, and the standard 5/5% crit/attack speed or 10% vs skaven nice to have for stormvermins?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Zealot talk, what's the best way to set up his flail, swiftslaying or resourceful combatant? I miss having both of them on slayer active at once, and the standard 5/5% crit/attack speed or 10% vs skaven nice to have for stormvermins?

swift slaying swift slaying swiFT SLAYING SWIFT SLAYING SWIFT SLAYING REPENT

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

On short cool down ults resourceful is a waste so just get SS.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Resourceful is bugged still I'm pretty sure, it returns 2 seconds per crit instead of 2%

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Resourceful is bugged still I'm pretty sure, it returns 2 seconds per crit instead of 2%

That's what I thought, making it better on short cooldowns than long. Regardless, I think Swift Slaying is probably better because you'll hit more often, and harder, and get more charge from that as well.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Honestly i've found that even if you had a 10 second cooldown you'd never utilize it more than the 30 seconds because there's times when you need to adjust positioning or just look around.

Kinda wish they added an inventory box just so i could swap weapons--oh its war camp? better bring some AP for the boss. Into the nest? let me swap to my complete power vs skaven build.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Swift slaying for sure, if you're not regularly hitting the AS cap you haven't lived.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Swift slaying for sure, if you're not regularly hitting the AS cap you haven't lived.
The what-now? Hypothetically, will a rapier with maxed AS bonuses and Swift Slaying hit it?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Digirat posted:

The revive shout is an awesome game saver but it puts you in a really awkward place where you don't get to use your power at all if you think you might need it anytime in the next 3 minutes (and games take 5 seconds to go bad so you can never know that), and if you actually use your power when it's available then you don't have the revive when you need it

The shared paced strikes really is the better part of merc.

The trick with Merc Kruber is to get over the urge to save his shout only for the clutchest of plays, because even if you manage to pick someone up without them dying they're still on black-and-white. Sometimes poo poo goes pear-shaped fast enough that the clutch play is the only thing that bail things out and you feel like a hero by being able to do it, but in general you're much better off shouting proactively for the breathing room and the temp health to prevent people from going down in the first place. I've shouted just to stop a hookrat from dragging someone into a horde when there was no other solution available, and while it doesn't feel very good blowing a 3 minute cooldown over that it's 100% better than waiting for them to get dragged out of position and hacked to bits before trying to make the sick play. This does meant that sometimes the MLG moment will come while your active is on cooldown, but overall you're coming out way ahead over holding onto it forever and only using it twice a map.

Also run Resourceful Combatant and all that crit chance and extra cleave and attack speed that come baked into the class will let you have charge most of the way back in the space of a single horde.

Xaris also raised a very significant point which is that Merc's temp health generation is ridiculous. I suspect there's some kind of :fatshark: rounding going on with the math when you stack his +30% talent with a +30% necklace, because you will be absolutely swimming in temp health far and away beyond what an identically kitted Foot Knight will be able to produce (or even just Merc with only a single 30% bonus), and there's a lot of value to always being able to keep yourself in fighting shape. Your health bar is smaller than Foot Knight, but you are much less bothered by attrition over the course of the map, especially if you're using your active more often as mentioned above. (Being able to eat the odd hit in a horde without really suffering long-term consequences for it also helps you recharge your active faster).

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
an elf who knows her place
https://gfycat.com/IllegalDeterminedAnophelesmosquito

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Voyager I posted:

The trick with Merc Kruber is to get over the urge to save his shout only for the clutchest of plays, because even if you manage to pick someone up without them dying they're still on black-and-white. Sometimes poo poo goes pear-shaped fast enough that the clutch play is the only thing that bail things out and you feel like a hero by being able to do it, but in general you're much better off shouting proactively for the breathing room and the temp health to prevent people from going down in the first place. I've shouted just to stop a hookrat from dragging someone into a horde when there was no other solution available, and while it doesn't feel very good blowing a 3 minute cooldown over that it's 100% better than waiting for them to get dragged out of position and hacked to bits before trying to make the sick play. This does meant that sometimes the MLG moment will come while your active is on cooldown, but overall you're coming out way ahead over holding onto it forever and only using it twice a map.

This is true of all the long cooldowns, like whc or to some extent, IB. Waiting for the 'optimal' feelgood moment is a great way to fail maps. I'll use the WHC shout to knock down bezerkers that get too close to the team, provide a moment to reposition between hordes or whatever.

Really the brain-spiders idea that you should "save" high-opportunity benefits to prevent hindsight regret is silly. Sure it'd be nice to have a bomb and your merc shout and your speed pot if a spawn shows up, but maybe the team would have had more health before that point if you hadn't sat on it.

Same goes for health pots, really. I see people sit on them until they go down. I get why, but maybe if you drink the pot you wouldn't go down in the first place. The team only wipes when everybody dies and having one person down increases the odds of a wipe by 25%.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Mendrian posted:

In all the time I've played this game it never occurred to me to use the WHC to tank deliberately. I mean sure I've taken advantage of the immunity to light attacks but just standing in front of a horde and laughing never occurred to me, it feels amazing.
Be still, Witch Hunter. Be still and be thankful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMU1mTVplg&t=1395s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That's certainly you distracting 1 out of 6 berserkers and a few regular enemies without hitting back between their attacks, yep.

But I do see the occasional value in a witch hunter captain able to block a cliffside or doorway of stacked enemies sometimes.