Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Tin Tim posted:

Wait you can cheat in items that you don't want to grind for? :aaa:

Well I've since gotten the golden net and some other drops and I'm only missing the radio and the tackle box so I might look into that!

Question, can you spawn the wall by having the guide doll equipped and killing the guide in a house that you made in the underworld? Just wondering cause I want to farm it for some drops but I don't look forward to grinding the dolls

You could just set a duping station for them, or everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My favorite thing lately is to start a new map and see how fast I can speed through the progression.

I want to learn to take advantage of lucky maps, if they present good opportunities for sequence breaks. If not, delete the map and start over before I build anything.

What are those sequence break opportunities? The most obvious I can think of is a lucky enchanted sword discovery. For the rest of the run, maybe go like this:

1. Start map
2. Beeline to pyramid for sandstorm in a bottle
3. Early shoe spikes / claws from a chest
4. Use that mobility to run through caves and hope for an early enchanted sword
5. Using only that + a small arena + lucky bomb drops, spawn the brain for early crimson armor?
6. If playing on Mobile, hope for an early Drax in the shadow chests (these can spawn unlocked if they're near the ceiling of hell, skipping the dungeon)
7. Try to cheese the Wall with protection potions and damage from the Drax or enchanted sword
8. If you lucked out on a Drax, immediately hunt down the single Chlorophyte ores once hardmode starts, collecting Life Fruits while you wait for more to spawn in its place

That's the luckiest way to speed through that I can think of... I dunno what other possible fortuitous sequence breaks are there.

Yrimir's youtube video shows a completely different route than this. Yrimir rushes the ocean chests, then depends on a lucky Water Bolt dungeon drop and fires lots of those both to find island chests and to defeat the Wall offscreen from a safe distance.

But I don't get that. In my experience the ocean and island chests are basically useless and not sequence breaking at all. Even a horseshoe isn't necessary for fast cave-running, compared to skillful use of a hook or climbing claws to break falls and climb.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enchanted sword breaks progression? It's a worse ranged weapon than most bows with readily available frostburn arrows. I'm no speedrunner but most of my hardmode runs rush snow for boreal wood bow + some ice to make frostburn arrows with then look for bombs to get whichever evil bow it's available.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
The newest hotness for me has been making large expert maps and teleporting to hell to insta-gib the WoF with a maxed out character. Then I make a new dude and play Terraria: survival horror edition, where the slimes do 82 damage and your first torch is more valuable than any amount of gold.

Did you know that the first night on a new world is always a full moon? :shepface:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Whoa - I hadn't thought of forcing hardmode upon a new character like that. Next map I'll do it for sure.

dis astranagant posted:

Enchanted sword breaks progression? It's a worse ranged weapon than most bows with readily available frostburn arrows. I'm no speedrunner but most of my hardmode runs rush snow for boreal wood bow + some ice to make frostburn arrows with then look for bombs to get whichever evil bow it's available.

Huh. This might be another difference with Mobile - your line of sight is considerably shorter. There are also fewer bows in the game (no Stormbow for instance).

Knockback is crucial to how I survive hard enemies with no armor. For that I need to guarantee hits. Anything besides Melee that I've ever tried just hasn't fired fast or accurately enough to make me not want to immediately switch back to a melee sword (especially one that shoots).

To me, the enchanted sword is sequence breaking just because if you find one at the very beginning of the game it solves the lighting problem instantly, multiplies your damage output by six or more, shoots constantly at infinite distance to gives you options when you can't reach an enemy, lets you tear right through the first bosses, and basically lets you go anywhere because it can knockback enemies with high health while you slowly whittle them down.

I guess there's only a small list of items that you'd actually need in a speed record attempt. Doesn't matter how rare if you're going for the record; you can retry until you get it. I like the sword as a candidate but maybe I'm just underestimating how good the desktop-only items are, if they can be crafted very early game. I'd like to make strategies that are interesting to more than just Mobile players but they make it so hard by not updating the game. Can't play it on desktop though - I just gotta have it with me when I go out.

One of the strategies I'm missing is picks. I don't know how to jump through the early pick progression faster than intended. Even lucking out with a candy cane pickaxe drop wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have no idea how far mobile is, do you guys have fishing? The usual skip for pickaxes is fishing a Reaver Shark ASAP, skips all the pre-hard mode ore grinding (it's equal in strength to a Molten Pick).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If RNGesus is with you, you can get a Reaver Shark quickly. That lets you skip the nightmare/deathbringer and molten pickaxes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I have no idea how far mobile is, do you guys have fishing? The usual skip for pickaxes is fishing a Reaver Shark ASAP, skips all the pre-hard mode ore grinding (it's equal in strength to a Molten Pick).

Mobile has a weird bastardized late 1.2 + random 1.3 features that vary from platform to platform. They're supposed to be getting 1.3.0 shortly after the Switch version finally drops.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, we've got the Reaver shark too. I've never crafted a wooden pole but in theory you could just race to the ocean with it and obtain a Reaver shark on your first catch. Although if you do have to wait through a few catches you're not gonna get any great extra items in the meantime, versus if you were speed-caving and looking in chests for something though. It would also be a much more boring run to practice for, naturally.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

My favorite thing lately is to start a new map and see how fast I can speed through the progression.

I want to learn to take advantage of lucky maps, if they present good opportunities for sequence breaks. If not, delete the map and start over before I build anything.

What are those sequence break opportunities?

Someone actually did that to finish the game in 90 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

Someone actually did that to finish the game in 90 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c

Holy poo poo, that really recent and it is so much better presented than Yrimir's old runs. Highly recommend this video.

There's a lot of good commentary but as a non-expert at the game I could have used a ton more and I have so many questions. Most would obviously be answered by my simply playing the desktop version of the game but still, like, wow that is a lot of new information flying by. Like how in the holy hell did they think of that housing design? (I had assumed no one would bother with housing and waiting for move-ins if speed was a concern but I can see it if housing can work like THAT...) What all did they know to manually craft during the super fast crafting bits? What did they need out of the dungeon? Stuff like that. How were they hitting things so accurately (like hellbats with grenades)? The vastly different controls for Mobile make that unimaginable to me. Likewise with rapid crafting and item switching; I guess there must just be hotkeys for that on desktop rather than sloppy touchscreen taps.

A lot of it (and the backup strats mentioned) is unfortunately not useable for me with Mobile, which does not even have Yo Yos or many of those items or glitches or even spawned structures. I guess it's kind of a mysterious unexplored art to speedrun Mobile maps like I like to do with new maps when I'm on the go. However applicable though, I'll definitely get better at it now that I know how useful massed explosives can be as a weapon for instance.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 13, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

e: that's not what happened at all.

His housing is a flavor of "econohouse" where you abuse the way platforms are handled to cram more npcs in less real space and block investment. The short version is that platforms count as both walls and doors if you place them right and back walls are allowed to have open windows in them up to a certain size if you're willing to put up with occasional enemy spawns in your house.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 13, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've seen that run before and that's the admitted result of hundreds and hundreds of finding the right "seed" to do that speed run. That's a one in a million kind of chance to get a perfect run based on RNG considering world map and item placements.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

ssmagus posted:

You could just set a duping station for them, or everything else
And how would one do that? I mean given by my posts itt it should be clear that I'm a casual scrub so I'm still discovering things that the rest of you have been doing for years

I still haven't set my main world into hardmode but I'm enjoying it on the small world I made to exploit my fishing crates. Got lucky with an early icesickle/toxicarp/chainguillotine setup for mob killing but the mech bosses are real tedious with those weapons. I did beat the destroyer by sorta cheesing him with the stormbow but that still took longer than I liked. So yeah hardmode in general is interesting but the bossfights are exhausting without an ideal setup

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

RealFoxy posted:

I've seen that run before and that's the admitted result of hundreds and hundreds of finding the right "seed" to do that speed run. That's a one in a million kind of chance to get a perfect run based on RNG considering world map and item placements.

I'm a bit confused by that actually, as their explanation for the seed was a mess. Didn't I see them manually type in a particular seed?

Wouldn't that imply that they've tested that seed and were not going into the world blind? To me that makes the run category less interesting because it means they are not showcasing the skill of reacting to surprises from the world gen. Pre-hardmode is when exploring the worldgen yields interesting things that actually matter and change your play style; that's the whole fun of it for me. It's like having a new conversation with the procedurally generated world every time.

Running a "known" map should be a different category - a showcase of different skills like combat while you parkour off of known terrain features and beeline straight to known resource locations. It's not as relevant to what a player starting a new map should actually do as they explore.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 13, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
And if they manually typed in a seed, why did they act like finding the jungle temple entrance at the end of the minecart track was such a major victory? I'm so confused. And not just because I had never seen a minecart before (none of those for us on Mobile).

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The seed was random. They show it on screen (after it was created) so that the viewers can try with the same seed.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
That run was unseeded, that's why it's amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He spent 10 months aborting runs pre wof before that run came together.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Looking back the beginning of the video was super clear about all that. It must have been one of the subtitles later on that threw me off and made me doubt my memory.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 2, 2019

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Crossposting from a DnD thread, but I wanted to share a recent creation. As dungeon master, I need to visualize the party's base of operations - a tower that will climb over the course of the campaign. I figured I'd use Terraria to be creative:

The tower will be customized to their characters and choices. For now, they've chosen to build a marketplace to obtain some discount magic items. Who knows how tall it will get? (the answer is <20)

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Tin Tim posted:

And how would one do that? I mean given by my posts itt it should be clear that I'm a casual scrub so I'm still discovering things that the rest of you have been doing for years

How to dupe? start your map in multiplayer, then build a flat line of platforms. on those platforms, put two blocks of metal. on those put a item frame, the put a item frame above the item frame. Mine the metal blocks. congrats, now anything you put into the top item frame is now getting duped. I think you may need a table on those metal blocks first before the item frames, I haven't set one up in a while.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Looking back the beginning of the video was super clear about all that. It must have been one of the subtitles later on that threw me off and made me doubt my memory:

"I'm rather glad about the seed feature. You saw how I created the world. Try it yourself"

Sounds like they're saying they manually typed theirs in and you should do the same to verify it's a possible map. Just poor choice of words.

They picked a random seed, they were just saying they were glad the feature existed so people couldn't accuse them of editing the perfect world for their run.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

DarkLich posted:

Crossposting from a DnD thread, but I wanted to share a recent creation. As dungeon master, I need to visualize the party's base of operations - a tower that will climb over the course of the campaign. I figured I'd use Terraria to be creative:

The tower will be customized to their characters and choices. For now, they've chosen to build a marketplace to obtain some discount magic items. Who knows how tall it will get? (the answer is <20)

This is absolutely brilliant. The best part is how a player will go "Oh can we move that bookcase over to the other room?" and then you just go into the game and build around a bit. It's a super clever way to get around the problem of not being an artist or crafty person.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm getting back into Terraria because I need a fun relaxing game right now. There's been a ton if changes since I last played. Last thing I remember is they put hard mode in.

Is expert mode worth it? I looked up the expert mode only stuff and it doesn't seem that amazing. Is it just for the extra challenge?

I also made a large world because I seem to remember certain things only generate in large world's. Is that right?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Expert mode is pretty rough and I wouldn't recommend it if you're just coming back. If there's expert stuff you want you can just make a small expert world for killing bosses etc. and take your spoils back to your primary world.

Large worlds are a bit much for solo play. The Terraria wiki has a pretty comprehensive list of the pros and cons here.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Travic posted:

I'm getting back into Terraria because I need a fun relaxing game right now. There's been a ton if changes since I last played. Last thing I remember is they put hard mode in.

Is expert mode worth it? I looked up the expert mode only stuff and it doesn't seem that amazing. Is it just for the extra challenge?

I also made a large world because I seem to remember certain things only generate in large world's. Is that right?

Expert mode is just a tougher game. Drop rates are higher and bosses each have a unique expert-only drop but I'd recommend a full regular playthrough first. Expert is kind of brutal and requires heavy preparation before every boss fight. Bosses also have additional difficulty beyond the numerical scaling (like the eye goes berserk and becomes nigh-undodgeable when it's almost dead)

Never go large world, man. There's nothing Large-only. Think of the world size as 1, 2-3, and 4+ players rather than small-medium-large.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok thanks. I made a large expert world since I played the hell out of Terraria previously, but I wasn't really enjoying it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
On Mobile the small worlds are really small, as in you're probably getting neither pyramids nor snow biome small. Three or four total beehives, and by late hardmode you've literally explored all the caverns. I hate it like this. I find backtracking really boring and love looting new caverns and exploring and that puts a pretty low hard limit on it. So I always go the bigger option, which is equal to the smallest option on desktop, and that's enough to totally solve all these problems. Go with small.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

ssmagus posted:

How to dupe? start your map in multiplayer, then build a flat line of platforms. on those platforms, put two blocks of metal. on those put a item frame, the put a item frame above the item frame. Mine the metal blocks. congrats, now anything you put into the top item frame is now getting duped. I think you may need a table on those metal blocks first before the item frames, I haven't set one up in a while.
Thx for the info I may look into that at some point. For now I used the glitch where you can take stuff from chests and kill yourself before you terminate the game to dupe things. Made boss grinding a whole lot more pleasant!

Right now I'm up to chlorophyte and just do what I enjoy. It's kinda weird how there are so many items in the upper tiers that are worthless though when it comes to tools&weapons

Question, do life fruit and plantera bulbs spawn faster if I clear out bushes in the underground jungle to make room for new spawns?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Never go large world, man. There's nothing Large-only. Think of the world size as 1, 2-3, and 4+ players rather than small-medium-large.
Yeah for solo it's really too much. I made my main on a large world when I got into the game and eventually I had too much stuff built to start over. Making a skybridge in both directions on a large world is not fun at all. But at least it passes the time!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah for solo it's really too much. I made my main on a large world when I got into the game and eventually I had too much stuff built to start over. Making a skybridge in both directions on a large world is not fun at all. But at least it passes the time!

The last full modded playthrough I did was on a large expert world, and LuiAFK really helps with this. It has automatic, customizable skybridge, subway, and hellevator builder items that require a large quantity of items to make but are infinite use once made.

It also lets you craft 30 of each potion into a toggleable item and you can craft groups of similar potion effects into one stop clickies for all-purpose use. Culminating in an ultimate battle potion that multiplies spawn rate by 10.. which is pretty insanely fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:words: about mobile
Man, the mobile version sure sounds like it kinda sucks.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If it does, it's more because of how it just hasn't been updated even once since I started playing two years ago, leaving it far behind the main game in terms of content and leaving us to just nod our heads whenever Moon Lord etc. gets brought up. Like they said, it's version 1.2 plus random stuff thrown in. Despite the early version it's pretty smooth and functional and bug free.

Well, ok, I'll qualify that. The touch controls are good enough for you to progress through the game and as a Melee user you *can* successfully do it without problem, even the harder parts like the Wall fight and Plantera. Although all actions - mining, jumping, aiming a projectile, and building, are prone to constantly not happening when you need them to due to a dropped tap or inaccuracy. But these are things you don't really notice holding you back since it's just part of the game, especially if you've never played desktop.

Then there's the problem of phones. On iOS you switch tasks on your phone for much more than a minute the app closes. Even if it doesn't close, if something else steals focus (like a push notification popup getting in the way of one of your taps) while you're playing multiplayer on wifi, the other player gets dropped along with whatever they were doing. SORRY. Now that I think of it there are some unfixed bugs actually. One kind of innocuous bug makes a dumb sound and switches you from having access to a chest to having access to an NPC if they walk by. That's annoying but not so bad. But there is a truly awful unpatched bug I thought of, that causes the app to suddenly exit when messing with the inventory on multiplayer. That's the worst possible time, since it causes all the items in chests that you moved recently to potentially be gone when you come back.

You can only have six characters and six worlds. After that you have to start deleting them, which sucks if exploration is your main motivator yet you built things on those maps. The "cloud save" feature is apparently something to avoid and eats maps.

...Yeah, that's a whole lot of major disadvantages. But to be able to play multiplayer on the home wifi without any additional setup is nice. And the game is a great time killer if you're just out somewhere waiting for your food order or something. It fills a different niche in life than a desktop game, which is great because I have time to spare when I'm out but not when I'm home where I already have enough distractions from work on my laptop.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 14, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something I wished they did for large worlds (or any multiplayer world really) is allowing multiple npcs with multiple no-spawn bases. Having everyone together in one place is fine but not having the option to spread out feels limited.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something I wished they did for large worlds (or any multiplayer world really) is allowing multiple npcs with multiple no-spawn bases. Having everyone together in one place is fine but not having the option to spread out feels limited.

There's enough npcs that you can still do that, albeit missing services at each of them.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1019283810242973697

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Best

fish

ever

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just want to say thanks again for posting that speedrun video, I watched it again more slowly and it is exactly what I was looking for -- a tutorial of how to do a blind run of a map as fast as possible. The commentary was perfect at explaining everything and I don't feel like I'm missing anything after slowing down each moment and watching what happens to their inventory etc. They craft and take potions rather fast but it's still possible to keep track.

Things I learned:

- You can mine both the Hellstone and Obsidian you need for the Molten set with bombs. Trees too.
- It takes about 45 dynamite to kill the wall of flesh, and only a couple grenades to kill most pre-hardmode enemies
- The lava charm is another drop you hope you get really early on.
- Featherfall potion + hook is the best way to travel early game (I noticed this yesterday but this confirmed it)
- Tossing glowsticks downhill is cool
- The King Slime is the fastest way to get biome specific drops
- The house design works because each room is 3 blocks wide. The two missing backwall sections per room are exactly the max of 3x3 you can have before there's a problem (plus one 1x3 section missing just because there's extra room). You don't need doors.
- You can make stairs??
- Building little walls while you mine is good protection in leiu of armor
- They've got great foresight, farming for things like vertebrae way before they need them, and dropping things where they know they'll be in a minute, which is awesome
- They depended on Unicorn, Yo Yos, Coin Portals, and Minecart trails which are desktop-only content, but Megashark and crystal bullets are extremely effective and existed before 1.3 so I could be using that in Mobile

Their equipment progression through the game was roughly:

-Starter pick -> whatever pick you have bars for -> molten -> first tier hardmode
-No armor -> gradual Hallowed armor as the first two mechanical bosses are destroyed
-Starter weapon -> enchanted boomerang -> Yo Yos (Don't exist on Mobile unfortunately, but they used the Rally and then the Hel Fire) -> Megashark

So that's about the fastest progression I should shoot for. Early Drax being possible on Mobile might shake things up a bit. Maybe a lucky enchanted sword drop is a good subsitute for there being no Yo Yos, until the Megashark.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You do need doors, it's just that platforms count as doors and walls at the same time.

I know it's a bit crass but I really want to tell you to get Terraria on PC. It's a much better experience, and even an older/less powerful computer can run it well. But if you're having fun on mobile then don't worry about it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I read through some of the responses and the entitlement of some of those people is revolting. "When is this update coming out? Why haven't you updated it yet? blarglarbl"

The Terraria devs had no obligation to continue to update the game after the 1.0 release .. over 7 years ago, and the fact they still are is amazing.