Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Goodbody posted:

The problem with Oh No Ross and Carrie imo is that a lot of times it's just like, "we went to a thing in a conference room where somebody tried to sell us crystals" but like, it's an hour detailing that experience.

Yeah but like, sometimes that's all that really did happen, and it's what you can expect if you were to go do it yourself. :shrug:

It's equally relevant when some thing that looks like it'll be crazy but interesting crazy turns out to just be boring, and it'd feel like a lie if they didn't tell those stories too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's also just nice to have a low key show in the mix.

I love a "But guys, what if a sasquatch was at the Salem witch trials, and it was the first step to inviting in the Men in Black from the Black Lodge." But sometimes it's nice to hear two friends laugh at a dude who thinks owls are aliens.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shout-out to Patrick of the Tides of History podcast for working the phrase "large adult son" into a discussion of the Hundred Years' War. Reveal yourself coward etc.

Tides of History is good and you should give it a shot. Covers a lot of late Middle Ages stuff and how the roots of what we now consider modern society took hold.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The second part of Inward Empire's Pinkerton Soldiers of Capital series is up now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thwomp posted:

The second part of Inward Empire's Pinkerton Soldiers of Capital series is up now.

ohhh gently caress yeah

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah, such a good previous episode. Looking forward to this one a lot.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
So here's my "recommend podcasts on X" where my X is infectious disease and biomedicine.

I'm not so interested in the family / GP type medicine ("what's it like to live with irritable bowel disorder?" ) like you'd find on BBC Radio 4, nor at the other end of the scale in the breathless boosterism of pop sci shows ("Scientists are in the verge of curing ..." ). Something in between about research, pharma, medical history maybe, some biology?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nonathlon posted:

So here's my "recommend podcasts on X" where my X is infectious disease and biomedicine.

I'm not so interested in the family / GP type medicine ("what's it like to live with irritable bowel disorder?" ) like you'd find on BBC Radio 4, nor at the other end of the scale in the breathless boosterism of pop sci shows ("Scientists are in the verge of curing ..." ). Something in between about research, pharma, medical history maybe, some biology?

This guy is a serious infectious disease doc who does several podcasts about it http://edgydoc.com/

Might not be to your tastes tho.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thwomp posted:

Is this the final part? I've been waiting for the whole thing to drop before I listen.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, I listened to the first episode of Martyrmade and really enjoyed it, seemed well done and he has a pleasant speaking style and is well written. So I went to find out more about Darryl Cooper and apparently he is a hardcore conservative at least and possible alt-right? Details seem slim, but has anyone finished off more of the series and did you find that impacting his judgement or bias?

I have some bad news for you friend. You have on a public forum declared your enjoyment of Martyrmade and are at risk of becoming exiled from the progressive movement. The good news though is that you seem repentant, and have declared your willingness to not expose yourself to dangerous radicals so you may just be safe.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1018172648713379840

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1018174145597599744

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1018233468965154816

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Four and a half hours, kicking off a series about the Pacific theater of WW2. We might have reached peak Hardcore History.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Arcsech posted:

Four and a half hours, kicking off a series about the Pacific theater of WW2. We might have reached peak Hardcore History.

You could call it a "Thrilla in Manila"?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh. Another WW2 theater. Great.

Least it's not the west.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

CountFosco posted:

I have some bad news for you friend. You have on a public forum declared your enjoyment of Martyrmade and are at risk of becoming exiled from the progressive movement. The good news though is that you seem repentant, and have declared your willingness to not expose yourself to dangerous radicals so you may just be safe.

poo poo! My DSA card hasn't arrived yet and now it may never if they find out :ohdear:

Really I just wanted to make sure it doesn't go off the rails, since I enjoyed it so far but it's also like 10 more hours.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well, not my favorite choice of topics. I hope its good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope he does a series about tanks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Meh

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Well, not my favorite choice of topics. I hope its good.

I'm actually excited for this because I just finished reading John Toland's "The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936–1945" so I'm on a big Pacific War mode now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm actually excited for this because I just finished reading John Toland's "The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936–1945" so I'm on a big Pacific War mode now.

Well aren't you special.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Well aren't you special.

I mean, isn’t it obvious? :agesilaus:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Well aren't you special.

How was his subjective emotional take on this release any different from yours?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In the first 40 minutes we've had a boxing analogy, Captain America and Captain Japan, another Marvel reference, and countries as liquors.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far. The intro is Dan talking about how culterially distinct Japan is, was during WW2, and has been for much of its history. I've often thought about this myself so I'm happy to have it gone over.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Aw man. I wanted more ancient or medieval stuff from Carlin but I'll take what I can get.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so outside the dollop. is their like a chapo type podcast about history. like irreverent poo poo talking about history?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so outside the dollop. is their like a chapo type podcast about history. like irreverent poo poo talking about history?

i don't know what the pod is normally like, but The Sitdown with Mike Recine recently did an ep with Matt Christman about political assassinations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lesser Bonapartes before Dan left fit that niche pretty well, but it took them ages to figure out their audio situation

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is this the final part? I've been waiting for the whole thing to drop before I listen.

It is.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

anyone finished the carlin thing yet? thoughts?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reductive and tedious but that's nothing new.
It's satisfying History dad stuff.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I liked it. It seems to follow the same pattern of the logical insanity episode (start with something crazy and see how we got there). I'm curious to see what his sources are for the Japanese/Chinese parts. He seems to be using the older names for Chinese cities.

Also, I'm hoping he doesn't go into too much detail over the Rape of Nanking but I know if he decides to cover it that won't happen.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 16, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mariooncrack posted:

Also, I'm hoping he doesn't go into too much detail over the Rape of Nanking but I know if he decides to cover it that won't happen.

Id be shocked if he didn’t do a whole episode/mini episode on it. China History Podcast did the Rape of Nanking in lots of detail, but they also did a really cool mini bio on John Rabe. I’ve listened to a lot of audiobooks on Nanking and China during WW2 but no one ever talked about the dude.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've listened to the first half hour and enjoying it so far, the Pacific Theater is one of those things I think is interesting and I kinda know the outline of it so a Hardcore History series on it is very welcome.

Seconding the Tides of History recommendation. It always gets a smile out of me whenever an episode reaches the top of my playlist and it starts as Patrick saying something like 'The tired young soldier trudged through the sodden countryside. He'd been on campaign for 3 months now and...".

I'm also two thirds of the way through Bolelli's Lakota/Custer series, which I jumped straight to from the Conquest of Mexico series, it's good and my knowledge of Custer was pretty much the story of his death previously.

Has anyone listened to Behind the Bastards? It's pretty light but the Qaddafi and King Leopold II two-parters were informative and pretty funny, I realise I now sound like I know nothing about anything but those are two more figures I didn't know much more than a four-line summary of.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 16, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

I've listened to the first half hour and enjoying it so far, the Pacific Theater is one of those things I think is interesting and I kinda know the outline of it so a Hardcore History series on it is very welcome.

Seconding the Tides of History recommendation. It always gets a smile out of me whenever an episode reaches the top of my playlist and it starts as Patrick saying something like 'The tired young soldier trudged through the sodden countryside. He'd been on campaign for 3 months now and...".

I'm also two thirds of the way through Bolelli's Lakota/Custer series, which I jumped straight to from the Conquest of Mexico series, it's good and my knowledge of Custer was pretty much the story of his death previously.

Has anyone listened to Behind the Bastards? It's pretty light but the Qaddafi and King Leopold II two-parters were informative and pretty funny, I realise I now sound like I know nothing about anything but those are two more figures I didn't know much more than a four-line summary of.

Patrick Wyman is extremely talented at this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
38 minutes in and the first direct boxing reference has been made.

e: Actually this new Carlin episode is a real treat for me. I used to hang around reading the WW2 thread in D&D, and one thing I never could quite understand was the Japanese way of waging war and mobilizing the population. Everything about the way they did things seemed weird and short sighted, but now its starting to make sense from their lens. Some poster mentioned earlier that they liked how Carlin does the "how did we get to the present insanity", and I have to agree with that.

Once this episode is done, I'm going to see if there's anyone else who has differing takes on WW2 Japan. Some of the more historical books like Ruth Benedict's The Chrysanthemum and the Sword seem to be racist at worst, misguided at best. And a lot of folks today just side with the "fanatical animals" take which doesn't do anyone service.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 16, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
God does this addiction analogy suck arse

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hiddenmovement posted:

God does this addiction analogy suck arse

It got a laugh out of me. The part about Teddy Roosevelt getting hooked on the imperialism juice. Wacky analogies are a key part of HH imo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly this ep just felt like a history show you'd find on Spike TV (RIP) or...the history channel

HISTORY'S MOST BADASS WARRIORS

Lemme tell you weird white kid or dad, you like Batman right??? And Spartans?? Well Samurai, get this...kinda like thaaaaaaat!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like if you insist on doing more military history bullshit cuz ur fans are the type who think "I like history" means "I like reading bout wars!!!" then at least do the Taiping Rebellion or some poo poo instead of yet another ep on the most basic bitch poo poo possible