Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

My boss used to be head of HR so she is anal about documenting every hour of PTO, even if it’s like leaving at 3 o clock on a Friday to collect my child.

I have 9 hours of pto left until dec 31st because I used the majority of it when my daughter was born in April. Hooray for first world countries with no paid family leave.

"First world" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Aren't children like the number one usage of PTO/Sick Leave for people who have them?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vargatron posted:

Aren't children like the number one usage of PTO/Sick Leave for people who have them?

Probably, and most posters ITT are lucky enough to have it. If you're an hourly wage slave and your kid gets sick enjoy not getting paid.

In my pre-IT life I was a line cook at a mediocre family restaurant and seeing how everyone (especially the tipped employees) got hosed over when it came to needing time off is great motivation to never want to be in that line of work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You all can just bite my rear end.

My wife and kids with infinitely more vacation time than I will ever have are going to the beach in September and I just noticed the unpaid time I had requested is now listed as 'tentative'. I can't even pay for a day off.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vargatron posted:

My kids are about the only reason I ever take sick days. With two of them in preschool/daycare, one or both are basically always sick. My company and role are very accommodating of work from home, so when I'm sick myself I just do that unless it's actually a "too dead to crawl out of bed" situation. Also, we thankfully have sick and vacation in separate pools, cause otherwise I'd definitely end up burning all PTO on the kids.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nastier Nate posted:

My boss used to be head of HR so she is anal about documenting every hour of PTO, even if it’s like leaving at 3 o clock on a Friday to collect my child.

I have 9 hours of pto left until dec 31st because I used the majority of it when my daughter was born in April. Hooray for first world countries with no paid family leave.

The last boss that did this made me go to the “everything I do outisde of business hours has a 1 hour of work minimum” mode.

Boss calls me 5 mins after I logged out to ask a 1 minute question -> 1 hour overtime.

Vendor calls me to confirm something outside of business hours -> 1 hour overtime.

Control room calls me without reading instructions and I tell them to do just that -> 1 hour overtime.

Great job HR, making everyone take 15-30 minutes of PTO. I took home 10+ extra vacation days per year compensating all the bullshit calls/texts outside of business hours I’d normally not bother about.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
That's how you play by the rules, well done.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Alfajor posted:

That's how you play by the rules, well done.

Aggressive Compliance is definitely one of my new favorite phrases, thanks whoever brought it up last week.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy poo poo. I needed that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Aggressive Compliance is definitely one of my new favorite phrases, thanks whoever brought it up last week.

Agreed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The gently caress is “Enterasys”? I saw what looks like a new switch for sale, but all I’m seeing is a fraud case and being bought by Extreme. Are they garbage?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They got acquired by Extreme in 2013. If you’re being sold a “new” Enterasys device in TYOOL 2018 that seems suspect to me. Can you elaborate on what the deal is?

e: Like, I don’t think you could buy such a thing. As far as I can tell Extreme bought the tech and killed the brand. If it has the Enterasys badge it may be hella old.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Looks like it’s new old stock for one from 2011, which would explain it.

I’m trying to find a gigabit POE+ switch for cheap, which is really difficult without buying some no-name brand that I don’t want powering an Aruba that would be $600 to replace.

Prime Day has nothing, basically Rakuten has something, but not sure how much shipping is.

It’s for home use, it’s just you guys know more about enterprise brands than the home networking thread.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 17, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m trying to find a gigabit POE+ switch for cheap, which is really difficult without buying some no-name brand that I don’t want powering an Aruba that would be $600 to replace.

Prime Day has nothing, basically Rakuten has something, but not sure how much shipping is.

It’s for home use, it’s just you guys know more about enterprise brands than the home networking thread.

how many ports do you need? you can get an 8 port at staples for $80

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fiberstore is selling POE switches now, but given our return rates on their optics you might not want to risk it.

Thread favorite Ubiquiti have some pretty cheap PoE switches.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I only need like four ports max, if that. I’ve got another switch for Ethernet and I’m keeping Ethernet and WiFi on separate ports of the ER-L. I would just do one or two APs, but one is POE. The other option would be a 10+ port smart or managed switch to put them on different VLANs.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

Fiberstore is selling POE switches now, but given our return rates on their optics you might not want to risk it.

Thread favorite Ubiquiti have some pretty cheap PoE switches.

Yeah I just bought a bunch of Ubiquiti stuff and it turned out great. Edge Router, 8 port PoE switch, and an AP for under $400 CAD. Basically replaced all the junk I had lying around, from a DD-WRT Netgear to the poo poo tier D-Link AP Extender I got on sale for $10 and still overpaid for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

:dance:

That was me! I’ve been using that so long, I honestly can’t remember if it was me or a co-worker that came up with that. It was definitely in response to asinine dictate from on high.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just applied for a remote job for a Bay Area company. Same industry, working on the same kind of stuff, I even hit a lot of their nice to haves. Only thing is I have 1.5 years of experience instead of 2 years like they want. Wish me luck. Bay Area money would be fantastic, as would not having a commute.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just applied for a remote job for a Bay Area company. Same industry, working on the same kind of stuff, I even hit a lot of their nice to haves. Only thing is I have 1.5 years of experience instead of 2 years like they want. Wish me luck. Bay Area money would be fantastic, as would not having a commute.

as a remote bay employee i cannot recommend this enough, make that cash

until they make it ACTUALLY worth it to move, don't. Not $$s, quality of life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you only need a single POE+ it's probably easier to just use a power injector.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Happy to answer any questions about what you can expect working remote for a Bay Area startup

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What kind of money can an ERP admin expect there? I expect a lot, since as far as I can tell they’re well established and not a paid in equity and dreams startup.

I don’t expect it, but it would be amazing if I went from a $16.5 per hour contract to BFC Guillotine money within two years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're overthinking your switch requirements. If you just need something PoE and a bit of management on it then this is fine https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833310431

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

You're overthinking your switch requirements. If you just need something PoE and a bit of management on it then this is fine https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833310431

We've been buying TP LINK switches for our video cameras that need PoE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704289&cm_re=TP_LINK_POE-_-33-704-289-_-Product

$65

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What kind of money can an ERP admin expect there? I expect a lot, since as far as I can tell they’re well established and not a paid in equity and dreams startup.

I don’t expect it, but it would be amazing if I went from a $16.5 per hour contract to BFC Guillotine money within two years.

enough to pay for your booze maybe

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What exact responsibilities will you have with this role? If you're just making sure that the ERP system turns on then you can probably expect something around Systems Admin money, but if you're responsible for ERP development/projects then significantly more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One of the sys admins I hired doesn't like dynamic addressing for non-network devices as much as I do for our internal networks. He sure does like to argue about it though. I told him he has to come up with a list of all the beneficial reasons to statically assign and manually keep track of everything or shut up about it. I expect the list to be complete poo poo. I want my 10 minutes back.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

One of the sys admins I hired doesn't like dynamic addressing for non-network devices as much as I do for our internal networks. He sure does like to argue about it though. I told him he has to come up with a list of all the beneficial reasons to statically assign and manually keep track of everything or shut up about it. I expect the list to be complete poo poo. I want my 10 minutes back.

I'm annoyed because given what you've said about your company, that person is making way too much money to still have that opinion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

large firms really only fire on reorgs.

/e- oh new hire idk

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

also ask how those reasons are better than dhcp lease reservations lol

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Sickening posted:

I bet he feels that you could also be statically configuring Port Speed and Duplex settings on all ports. DHCP is just the first step in his master plan to statically configure all the things ensuring he has plenty of mindless work to do forever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there actually a good reason to not just let DNS handle your poo poo most of the time? Like we have some industrial equipment we assign static IPs to because the poo poo will go weird otherwise, but when I started here the guys above me were super serious about every time I spun up a VM it absolutely HAD to have a static IP and would get mad if I forgot/didn't bother to, and now that I'm running the poo poo I can't find a good reason to do so as a general practice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

At my previous job we had all of our servers using static IP addresses since they interfaced with with an old ERP system, however we transitioned to just using DHCP reservations since it was easier to manage. The rest of the end user pool got an IP address from a regular DHCP address pool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The only things that have static addresses in my environment are network equipment and domain controllers. Literally everything else is done with lease reservations and dns.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My datacenter is entirely statically addressed and doesn't have dynamic DNS because I hate myself. Also OS installation is me asking someone onsite to grab a USB stick and crash cart.*

Didn't know what I was doing at the time. Didn't have time to do it right. It was the right decision to do it manually at the time. If I ever build another datacenter I'll do it so, soooo differently. Just throwing everything on kubernetes is the easiest way to fix it now.

*15k things have programmatically generated dhcp reservations and are not USB-installed.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

What exact responsibilities will you have with this role? If you're just making sure that the ERP system turns on then you can probably expect something around Systems Admin money, but if you're responsible for ERP development/projects then significantly more.

It’s vague, but looks like there should end up being some development in the sense of working on implementing changes if not actually doing the coding. But maybe some coding? I don’t know. Definitely doing reporting though.

How much is Bay Area system administrator pay? I’m in CO, so decently high but I don’t think anywhere close to Bay Area high.

I picked up a factory refurbished unmanaged TP-Link 8 port that’s 802.3at compatible. We’ll see when it gets here.

E: anyone here willing to give cover letter or resume advice?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 17, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It’s vague, but looks like there should end up being some development in the sense of working on implementing changes if not actually doing the coding. But maybe some coding? I don’t know. Definitely doing reporting though.

How much is Bay Area system administrator pay? I’m in CO, so decently high but I don’t think anywhere close to Bay Area high.

I picked up a factory refurbished unmanaged TP-Link 8 port that’s 802.3at compatible. We’ll see when it gets here.

Around here in South Carolina, that would probably command $60-80k I would say, with experience. Your cost of living may be higher so the salary would be higher accordingly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

I'm annoyed because given what you've said about your company, that person is making way too much money to still have that opinion.

The few sys admins I have hired are all in the reasonable range for sysadmins. Once they are up to speed on proper sysadmin stuff for our infrastructure we are going to baby them into the kubernetes/akamai.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

"We could make an excel spreadsheet.............."

I'm getting terrible flashbacks