Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Say whatever you want about the autoban filter's usefulness or necessity but at the very least it's been very entertaining to bait people into saying something dumb and watch them getting banned literally 10 seconds later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I learned yesterday that there was a South Park episode where Cartman went around as a super hero named "the coon".

I learned this when a pubbie asked in all chat what the name of that character was and the person that answered got banned.

I do wonder if "raccoon" will get you banned.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jack Trades posted:

Say whatever you want about the autoban filter's usefulness or necessity but at the very least it's been very entertaining to bait people into saying something dumb and watch them getting banned literally 10 seconds later.

For once I agree with you on something

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Maybe it’s because I’m on the PS4, but I can’t remember a single time I’ve heard the N-word used derogatorily in Siege.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Because people are more chickenshit and would rather type it out than say it on mic, and you can't type on console

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Knives are out, boys.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/8ze4xs

quote:

Two weeks ago, we communicated that a first ban wave of approximately 600 accounts would take place during the week of July 16th.

The ban wave will now take place alongside our next game update, on July 24th. Our final tests on the system will take place on this week’s Test Server, starting Wednesday, July 18th.

Our intention was to include a unique broadcast for bans of this nature. We felt “Player has been banned for Toxic Behaviour” was not sufficient as these players were being overtly toxic, or cheating. As such, a new message was required which in turn needs a new patch implemented to carry this out in all languages.

Players that are banned for being boosted by a cheater will have the following message broadcasted:

“Player was banned for being boosted by a cheater”.

We have continued to track and add to the list of accounts that fall within the set criteria. As such, the first wave will be larger than initially presented.

Furthermore, we will have more information to share regarding our anti-cheat efforts no later than July 27th.

tjones
May 13, 2005
They hosed it up again. Hah

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

Maybe it’s because I’m on the PS4, but I can’t remember a single time I’ve heard the N-word used derogatorily in Siege.

I can tell you I've definitely heard it on Xbox. But I also agree it's probably more prevalent on PC due to text chat emboldening gently caress wits

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
new mira uniform ain't bad:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm super pissed I just bought something random because I want that set.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/honkifyourgay/status/1018889934034391041

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Down here in Australia "Coon" is also a cheese brand. Believe it or not, a couple of nights ago I witnessed someone being kicked for toxic behavior not long after saying "coon!" in response to someone asking what everyone's favourite cheese is. (They were on the same team as the person who asked it though, so I didn't mind at all! :D I might have to remember that "don't be a racist" provocation trick though, if someone's being a dick)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this is just another layer of the endgame alibi meta

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m too busy playing the game to chat, I bought a bunch of elite skins so I’ll commit to playing more of this. I took a long break and came back after everything was unlocked so I had to spend like an hour putting attachments on all the guns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thief posted:

this is just another layer of the endgame alibi meta

hell yea brother

tjones
May 13, 2005
Since Ubi is so bound and determined to clean up their game, I kinda hope all the autoban instances get reviewed and the ones baiting the guys to say dumb poo poo also get bans for just as long. I want to see nonstop tears on reddit and I feel like this would be the best way forward for that.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

tjones posted:

Since Ubi is so bound and determined to clean up their game, I kinda hope all the autoban instances get reviewed and the ones baiting the guys to say dumb poo poo also get bans for just as long. I want to see nonstop tears on reddit and I feel like this would be the best way forward for that.

source your quotes please

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The best way to avoid getting banned is to not type in the toxic box. If you get baited to type something bannable then I guess that is a deserved price.

Yesterday a guy was baiting the other team to say the british slang for cigarette. 9 players on the server just rolling eyes to a stupid guy that kept trying for 15 minutes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Having your entire team start typing out the lyrics to 80s pop songs does the trick too.

People in this game really don't like "Take On Me" for some reason.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I used to text spam All Star lyrics into all chat if it seemed we're waiting on someone's wooden PC to load up the map. Usually got to around chorus before the match actually started.

One match someone called it "a dumb meme song". Kids these days...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

tjones posted:

Imo they should take it one step further and ban everyone who ever played a match with one of the banned people before.
Also cut the weak rear end temp bans, make it always a permaban.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

tjones posted:

That would be a waste of time lol, they get like a twenty minute slap on the wrist and it's not naive children typing in friend of the family/fag/coon/etc haha

I WANT TO SEE NON-STOP TEARS hahah

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rainbow 6 Siege's new gamemode: Escaping the ban hammer.

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

I’m usually 100% against any censorship but I hate to say I make an exception for this because nobody of any value uses racial slurs in chat.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i like how people are bitching about R6 banning toxic behavior before punishing ragequitters and poo poo and it's like dude that can be done really easy just let them handle this other stuff first.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

meanwhile in the cyber arena, the spetsnaz continue to be among the best CTUs Rainbow 6 has to offer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOhwFsFP2M

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I learned yesterday that there was a South Park episode where Cartman went around as a super hero named "the coon".

I learned this when a pubbie asked in all chat what the name of that character was and the person that answered got banned.

I do wonder if "raccoon" will get you banned.

This warms my heart

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think Playstation Network is down

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Thief posted:

meanwhile in the cyber arena, the spetsnaz continue to be among the best CTUs Rainbow 6 has to offer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOhwFsFP2M

this is art

tjones
May 13, 2005

Penpal posted:

That would be a waste of time lol, they get like a twenty minute slap on the wrist and it's not naive children typing in friend of the family/fag/coon/etc haha

I WANT TO SEE NON-STOP TEARS hahah

If you don't find this all hilarious from both sides, I'm not sure what to say.

Also, it's not like the artists or devs are reviewing the bans. That would be silly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ban slurs, get DDoS'd

https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1019242453285638144

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

mawlok posted:

I’m usually 100% against any censorship but I hate to say I make an exception for this because nobody of any value uses racial slurs in chat.

And yet, winding them up and getting them angrier and angrier is the best part of the game. Baiting people into temp bans is a distant second. Also jesus, it wasn't nearly as common as some people would have you believe. It's the Battlefield 1 thread all over again. That said, people losing their poo poo over that is a tolerable consolation prize.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Because Ubi is incompetent, using slurs in all caps doesn't trigger the ban.

EDIT: They could have used a lower case L instead of an upper case i, who knows.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 17, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this is a game that allows you to put .'s into your username so idk what anyone's expecting in regards to chat filter evasion

Kikas posted:

this is art

:thanks:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s wrong with periods in usernames?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there's nothing wrong with it, it is just something that was traditionally not very common in online videogames for like 30 years until uPlay became a thing

but altering a word by a single character is often how people still say words like nib.ba and you know what they mean while avoiding chat filters that will autoban them. the main reason why this whole thing is stupid is because it is someone's actual job at Ubisoft to sit there and manually type in every variation of the N word they can think of into a .txt file

edit: but they have said in the past that they do plan on implementing at least a slightly more detailed report player function which will likely have an option for evading the ban filter

and once the other person at Ubisoft whose entire infinite overtime job is to personally sift through mountains of bullshit complaints finally gets to it and sees that this player is being toxic in this specific way - they might actually give them a 1 day ban instead of 15 minutes

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 17, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if it's possible to train a neural network to recognize slurs using Siege as a learnset.

tjones
May 13, 2005
While not exactly trivial, its also not rocket science to first run all chat text through a scrub/replace parser to convert and simplfiy the text before running the comparisons against it. But that would be giving the art department more credit than they deserve. It's almost like Ubi didn't think this through.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tjones posted:

While not exactly trivial, its also not rocket science to first run all chat text through a scrub/replace parser to convert and simplfiy the text before running the comparisons against it. But that would be giving the art department more credit than they deserve. It's almost like Ubi didn't think this through.

Nah, it’s pretty trivial. Like “give the intern two weeks” sort of thing. They aren’t dealing with that much data, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the interns are too busy copy/pasting textures onto every gun without even looking at where the most basic of details are, like grips and barrels