Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

'tis thread for general programming chat, but also learning environment and sandbox for any topics in or around programming, without prejudice - however silly or irrelevant any given idea may feel

please mind a few things, namely:

1) forum and yospos rules
2) dont be jerk to people just because they do a coding thing
3) mind your ciclejerks, a lot of this thread is serious questions and advice given

last thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836929

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry, the thread title must contain at least one number and at least one emoji.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

Sorry, the thread title must contain at least one number and at least one emoji.

will be added in next version, wontfix

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

terrible programmer checking in.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What’s mcafee up to now??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

What’s mcafee up to now??

last i heard it was selling cryptocoin startup tweets for $100k a pop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you're right, programmers are terrible

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I have awful half-assed advice for shoegaze about looking for work with rust / systems programming

go look at mozilla, maybe introduce yourself on IRC / steal an bug from their bug tracker and work on it, especially once you feel okay doin' thangs in C++

I contributed exactly 1 refactoring of an image decoder. when people watch extremely inefficient moving pictures of dumb things on the internet in an browser, they are running my terrible code (patched up by people more familiar with how to validate changes through firefox's extensive test suite(s))

this advice is exactly as half-assed as it sounds and I'm sure everyone else who wants a job programming rust is also quite aware that mozilla is a good place to get one but I'm pretty sure shoegaze can Actually Slang Code so

https://careers.mozilla.org/position/gh/1222100

Firefox Engineer posted:

Things that might set you apart from other applicants:
Familiarity with one or more of the following areas:
parsing (e.g. compilers, DBMSes, etc.)
multi-threaded systems
performance analysis and optimization
Experience with migrating a codebase to Rust
Experience working with distributed teams
Experience working with a large codebase

This assumes that shoegaze would be roughly as happy as I am to be working in a massive and occasionally gross codebase that nonetheless provides Quite A Lot Of Value to More Than A Few users

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 17, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
here's some terrible programmer wisdom: never write an internal library with the intent of open sourcing it. you'll over engineer it and it wont be useful or good and it wont get opened sourced and everyone will hate you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh good. i was never gonna read the thousands upon thousands of unread posts i had in the last thread anyway

probably won't read them in this one either

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prisoner of waffles posted:

I have awful half-assed advice for shoegaze about looking for work with rust / systems programming

go look at mozilla, maybe introduce yourself on IRC / steal an bug from their bug tracker and work on it, especially once you feel okay doin' thangs in C++

I contributed exactly 1 refactoring of an image decoder. when people watch extremely inefficient moving pictures of dumb things on the internet in an browser, they are running my terrible code (patched up by people more familiar with how to validate changes through firefox's extensive test suite(s))

this advice is exactly as half-assed as it sounds and I'm sure everyone else who wants a job programming rust is also quite aware that mozilla is a good place to get one but I'm pretty sure shoegaze can Actually Slang Code so

so i've been working really really hard on my terrible functional programming library in rust and i'd be lying if there isn't a small part of me that idly fantasizes about being contacted by mozilla to come work for them because it's so cool. but that will never happen.

but yeah honestly i'm going to try contributing to mozilla/rust projects with the explicit purpose of getting a job working in rust, but it wont be my primary focus because that's a lovely plan.

speaking of my functional programming library: i think i'm basically stuck. my enum based representation is seriously ugly and while it's good enough for a blog post on the subject of HKTs in rust, it's not sufficient for actual usage. so, i've spent the last two weeks trying to build a lazy evaluator that builds up a series of computations over kinds and then executes them.

I got this working, fully on the stack without boxing or anything, but the resulting interface is just not what I want. So, I'm going to give up on this until GATs are available. However, I have enough content for an interesting blog post so that's what I'm gonna do, and I'll resurrect this effort when GATs are out.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 17, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
hi im gonadic io and im a terrible programmer. my current hobby project is rust code running on an arduino which is talking to a magnetometer

Final plan is a physical compass(a la pirates of the carribbean) that points towards the nearest open coffee shop. yes this would be 10 million times easier as an app but that's not the terrible programmer way

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

hi im gonadic io and im a terrible programmer. my current hobby project is rust code running on an arduino which is talking to a magnetometer

Final plan is a physical compass(a la pirates of the carribbean) that points towards the nearest open coffee shop. yes this would be 10 million times easier as an app but that's not the terrible programmer way

that's awesome.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

posting on page 0

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

gonadic io posted:

ah, a terrible programmer and a terrible hardware engineer. it's good to have a broad set of terrible skills

i should know as someone who's currently doing terrible fluid sim on terrible gpu hardware with terrible math skills that usually runs at terrible frame rates. all of this for a terrible pay

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im just being terrible coworker and audibly giggling as the fallout from deleted prod database seeps in

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for reference, dude currently deemed responsible for the deletion was adamantly against having a dba or taking some control off laravel orm

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

posting on page 0

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for reference, dude currently deemed responsible for the deletion was adamantly against having a dba or taking some control off laravel orm

giving developers access to a database is a bad idea.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

you and me and our dwh team. not the rest of our organisation, however. it’s a necessarily evil in my opinion, but it’s completely unregulated here, with widely ranging consequences

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is this the one you posted about saving to disk like 16 hours ago or is this a different vulnerable prod database?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

is this the one you posted about saving to disk like 16 hours ago or is this a different vulnerable prod database?

different, new product that just launched. yesterday i was saving to disk all custom tables from our dwh (mostly created by my team manually), since the information was that there are no backups and normal etl process would naturally not regenerate them

now, as it turns out, there are alleged backups for all servers, and allegedly they've already restored that prod database from the nightly backup. but, the data size there should be just a few hundred megabytes yet the replica has not propagated yet for some reason? tomorrow is going to be a funny morning i feel

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shaggar posted:

giving DBAs access to a database is a bad idea.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i now have the oreilly rust book, it's been sitting unopened for about a week now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

posting on page 0

posting on page Integer.MIN_VALUE

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

why are there two terrible programming threads

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Toady posted:

They're all terrible programmer threads.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

terrible devops programmer here, which means im terrible even for a terrible programmer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Toady posted:

there are?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yeah, there's always two programming threads for some reason. i guess it's the current hipste

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

carry on then posted:

posting on page Integer.MIN_VALUE

code:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Page -2147483648 is out of bounds, all page numbers must be positive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Toady posted:

yeah, there's always two programming threads for some reason. i guess it's the current hipste

oh thats the theory of being bad thread, here we are just bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i mean i for sure am, im not sure what half of yall are hiding from here

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jony neuemonic posted:

terrible programmer checking in.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
terrible programmer here. downright lovely

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gonadic io posted:

why do you need a magnetometer at all?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
otherwise it’s not a compass, obviously

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

c tp s: Pushed a new set of builds to QA at the end of the day, first thing reported was if you submit multiple requests at once it hangs the entire enviroment - every database, every request to every server.

lol what have we done oh well time to go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well bright side is if you're deadlocking your db with incomplete transactions or whatever that means you should be immune to someone accidentally dropping your prod db like that other guy