Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Putting in an early nomination for the next thread title:

Stellaris 2.2: Day of the Tiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Very Hype for a more in depth societal aspect to stellaris, honestly I really just like building cool space societies in the game so it's right in my wheelhouse.

Very much this. I want to have a chance to really dig into my empire and help to shape it.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Pops being needy pissants would actually please me, but what I really want is randomly generated sector leaders that plot against you or rebel if you don't listen to their demands.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I could never figure out Victoria'a economy, with like 20 different types of pops, all of which needed a different amount of 50 different goods and could only do certain things. I'd build a factory that made stuff my pops needed, it would make money for the first two months and then go out of business, and I could never figure out why it made a difference whether there were 5271 Bengali clergy in Calcutta or 5352.

In other words, I found the Vic and Vic2 pop and economy systems overly granular and opaque.

you were paying attention to the low-level simulation too heavily. you can get by fine in v2 without caring about any of the exact numbers related to any of the pops - the various derived quantities, such as % of pops that are clergy/bureaucrats, consciousness, militancy, etc. are what are important.

the great thing about victoria's economy is its opaqueness. it's an essential feature of the period.

Rincewinds posted:

Pops being needy pissants would actually please me, but what I really want is randomly generated sector leaders that plot against you or rebel if you don't listen to their demands.

stellaris has always had the framework in place to potentially take all of the best features from each paradox game and mix them together - colonization and trade, independently-motivated characters within your empire, proper pops, etc. but it's just taken quite a while to fix the more basic problems that were present at launch before implementing more big systems

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rincewinds posted:

isn't this how it worked pre-utopia, basically?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CoolHandMat posted:

Can you get multiple Shroud benefits?

is there ever a time that you would want to trigger the End of Cycle event thing

You cannot, the effects expire at the same time your next Shroud contact opens.

And you should always trigger End of the Cycle when offered, because it's fun as hell and you don't know when you're going to get the chance again.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Epicurius posted:

Is there any good way to look at Vicky?

Square up mate. Nobody talks sh!t about Vicky in MY thread.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

"Unemployed nobles on welfare" Just regular nobles then?

Today I had my most entertaining war yet.

My rival joined a federation with three other civs (all equivalent to mine) and declared war right after. My 4 fleets of 25-35k each against their six fleets in the 25-40k range (+an undetermined number of smaller ones) and a fed force of 100 dogdamned K (that was always accompanied by a 10k pack of cruisers. On a painfully stretched front, and with a slight tech disadvantage.

Short story is: I evaded their concentrated fleets for 20 years, hiding behind my line of fortress systems and picking off stragglers, spent over 20k energy on diversionary marauder raids, only lost one major engagement (got distracted and sent a fleet into a heavily defended system) and in the end, managed to squeeze out a white peace that actually included minor territorial gains.

The native populations of the two new planets were genemodded into all-negative traits and expelled.

Which reminds me: what set of red traits would have the best (worst) impact on the egalitarian, xenophile rabble that'd take them in? Currently I'm using solitary, weak, deviant, wasteful, and quarrelsome, but I suppose, I'd get better results if I added fast breeders somewhere into the mix..

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RedSnapper posted:

"Unemployed nobles on welfare" Just regular nobles then?

Today I had my most entertaining war yet.

My rival joined a federation with three other civs (all equivalent to mine) and declared war right after. My 4 fleets of 25-35k each against their six fleets in the 25-40k range (+an undetermined number of smaller ones) and a fed force of 100 dogdamned K (that was always accompanied by a 10k pack of cruisers. On a painfully stretched front, and with a slight tech disadvantage.

Short story is: I evaded their concentrated fleets for 20 years, hiding behind my line of fortress systems and picking off stragglers, spent over 20k energy on diversionary marauder raids, only lost one major engagement (got distracted and sent a fleet into a heavily defended system) and in the end, managed to squeeze out a white peace that actually included minor territorial gains.

The native populations of the two new planets were genemodded into all-negative traits and expelled.

Which reminds me: what set of red traits would have the best (worst) impact on the egalitarian, xenophile rabble that'd take them in? Currently I'm using solitary, weak, deviant, wasteful, and quarrelsome, but I suppose, I'd get better results if I added fast breeders somewhere into the mix..

Absolutely add Rapid Breeders to the mix.

Fleeting is nice, too, so if they ever take these awful dudes as leaders, they just die early.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

While I was figuring out how to get the planets from exterminators, I basically lost my chance to win quickly. They had 10 years to rebuild, and now a new war was a horrible grindfest. After horrible losses I finally beat their fleets and started to roam through their systems.

Right at that moment some asshats claimed a few systems from me in another side of the galaxy and declared war. I kind of had forgotten them and ignored my defenses and fleets on that side. Luckily I was able to peace out after losing 3 systems they wanted, and I now have 10 years to rebuild.

I guess I'll keep my own fleets on that side of the galaxy and try to beat the exterminators with Federation fleet. Waging wars is annoying when you end up with multiple fronts. Also these wars eat a ton of minerals I could have used to build habitats and other infrastructure...

In hindsight I should have continued war with exterminators and just surrender to the asshats and lose those 3 systems. Switching attention from other side of the galaxy to other is waste of time, when fleets take 4 years to travel around.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 17, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Build more gateways

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Build more gateways

Yeah once you get to the mid game and it becomes cumbersome to traverse your increasingly unwieldy empire, you should totally try to turtle up with stations to augment your defense and get gateways ASAP if you can't take all of your neighbors at the same time.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

binge crotching posted:

Build more gateways

Personally I love gateway spam. What I don't love is having to build every. Single. One. In stages.

Forget tiles, trade and diplomacy - one-click gateway building, that's what I want.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

RedSnapper posted:

Personally I love gateway spam. What I don't love is having to build every. Single. One. In stages.

Forget tiles, trade and diplomacy - one-click gateway building, that's what I want.

Don’t forget you are also only allowed to build them one at a time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Applewhite posted:

Don’t forget you are also only allowed to build them one at a time.

This applies to most megastructures but not gateways - you're free to build as many at a time as your economy can support. You can also build gateways in conjunction with other types of megastructures without issue.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This applies to most megastructures but not gateways - you're free to build as many at a time as your economy can support. You can also build gateways in conjunction with other types of megastructures without issue.

Whaaaaaaa!?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Go ahead, try it yourself. I promise you'll love it.

Just don't lose track of where you build all the construction sites before you have a chance to start phase 2.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Just don't lose track of where you build all the construction sites before you have a chance to start phase 2.

Yeah I could see that becoming a problem

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I love how easygoing Stellaris is about alt-tabbing; I can keep an open Notepad++ window with notes about that kind of thing.

Although an in-game UI element would be really convenient.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's been over two years and there still isn't a graphical representation of civilian spacecraft flying around the galaxy. My immersion :bahgawd:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

That's one of my issues - if you're going biomancy, you can just create your own tailor-made pops. Getting more people is nice, but you're still burning time modeling them into what you need, and you kill a civic for it. Next DLC is gonna be supremely interesting for this.

You can steal cyborg and psionic pops though.

Complications posted:

I love how easygoing Stellaris is about alt-tabbing; I can keep an open Notepad++ window with notes about that kind of thing.

Although an in-game UI element would be really convenient.

There is, it's the construction ships still sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

turn off the TV posted:

It's been over two years and there still isn't a graphical representation of civilian spacecraft flying around the galaxy. My immersion :bahgawd:

This game already runs like rear end one hundred years in, you want to add more poo poo for it to track?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I could see that becoming a problem

Gateway Icons - Construction Notification

"Every gateway construction site shows the same red 'Gateway in system' icon on the galactic map that deactivated gateways do. It's that simple."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder how buildable robot pops are going to work with the new changes to pops coming up in the patch?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a mod to remove the Megastructure simultaneous build limit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I can’t wait for Victoria 3: Pops in SPAAAAAACE

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I could never penetrate Victoria's secrets, but literally anything is preferable to tiles.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a mod to remove the Megastructure simultaneous build limit

You should get the gigastructural engineering mod if you don't care overly much about balance. The vanilla megastructures are still one per, but the new stuff makes that kind of moot.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Black Pants posted:

You can steal cyborg and psionic pops though.

Oh, that's neat. Still, the -50 opinion with everyone is kind of rough at the beginning. I like picking stuff like Charismatic, just to buy myself more time.

Black Pants posted:

There is, it's the construction ships still sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

Auto-exploration is a good start, but we're still missing auto-building science/mining bases.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

On building multiple gateways at once: build one construction ship per gateway. once the ship finishes building, double click the idle ship. It will be parked next to the partial gate. Start the finish stage, decommission the idle builder. Construction ships are very very cheap by the time you are looking at gate building, there is no reason to not have them be disposable per construction project, vs the early game of one constructor queuing up 5 star systems of mines. I typically put gates in all settled systems, choke points, fleet construction yards, and any systems that might be teraformed into colonized. I've managed to have 3-4 gates building at once, my biggest hindrance is Influence, even at 9+ a month, its one gate a year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deathbysnusnu posted:

You should get the gigastructural engineering mod if you don't care overly much about balance. The vanilla megastructures are still one per, but the new stuff makes that kind of moot.

I just want to be able to build multiple megastructures at the same time when I've got the economy to support it. If I can have +3-5k minerals per month while supporting a fleet of a million fleet power I can fix more than one ringworld section at a time, thanks

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've never built gateways. I just buy all the dlc and never have time to experience it all, before a new patch comes and my savegame is outdated.

But gateways would be a good solution to 1300-day fleet travel times. Also next time I need to keep my bastions upgraded. My eastern border's bastion was probably fine a few decades ago, but I forgot about it and poured all my resources to fighting the exterminators.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The xenophobe faction has 1% attraction yet over the course of the last decade 18 people have joined it. Why? Even when it's supressed!

In fact I founded a new colony and the leader instantly went Xenophobe. I mean....I've got a thing from the shroud attracting people to Spiritualist and even have loads of +ethics attraction things.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 18, 2018

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

RedSnapper posted:

this is the best idea ive heard in weeks. cant wait to start loving with the pops before i release them on the galaxy

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Lost a game for the first time in forever. Since I can remember at least. Don’t underestimate a boxed in purifier!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you uncheck all the option boxes in a sector the AI just won't do anything in there, right? I hope?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Captain Invictus posted:

If you uncheck all the option boxes in a sector the AI just won't do anything in there, right? I hope?

It will develop planets according to tile bonuses and upgrade existing structures. It will take out its frustrations on you by building farms on every tile it possibly can, but otherwise it's fine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shadowlyger posted:

This game already runs like rear end one hundred years in, you want to add more poo poo for it to track?

I mean, my secret hope for a resource update is that it adds trade/traffic routes for your empire's resources so that they can be raided by pirates and opposing factions. If the game does do that then I don't see why they shouldn't include abstracted, dummy traffic to travel along those routes like Sim City 4 or Total War.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 18, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Maybe the new update makes the game run smoother.

A man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It might. AI and sector pop management is one of the reasons for late game slowdown.