Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Ritual to whomever has the best chance of succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Everyone on the ring seems to think it's a good idea, so do the ritual to whoever you feel is best.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Ritual to nya

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

do we need to quest to discover that our earth goddess is yinkin's second cousin or something

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheetah7071 posted:

do we need to quest to discover that our earth goddess is yinkin's second cousin or something

Clan minor goddess Cayenne Kayin pictured here:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
We should perform the "Sacrifice a bunch of toys to Kayin only to discover she would have preferred a sacrifice of a cardbox box and a piece of string" venture.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We're dealing with clans and kinfolk who respect us. Can't we just talk this out guys?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Between our priestess and the fact that more cows would just make them a more tempting target, a ritual to Nyalda sounds like the better bet. I can't remember what Nyalda's in charge of though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm assuming crops, from the clan creation's "Nyalda, the great Earth Mother, whose bounty made sure no one was ever hungry." flavor text.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

I'm assuming crops, from the clan creation's "Nyalda, the great Earth Mother, whose bounty made sure no one was ever hungry." flavor text.

Honestly, from everything other than the game explicitly telling you she's an earth goddess, I'd say she's much more associated with marriage than anything else. I mean it's hardly unusual for earth goddesses to be about marriage too but at least Ernalda could bless your crops. Nyalda's blessings are "Bless Children", "Cooperation", "Crafting", and "Hospitality", which with the possible exception of Crafting are pretty domestic and don't have much direct connection with the earth. Her ritual is about marriage too--the brief summary (which the Blazing Goats already know even if they don't know the details) is "In a darkening world, Nyalda realizes that the survival of her people depends on her finding the best husband. Although Elmal thinks he is winning her, she and her retinue ensure that Nyalda is winning him," again a story about marriage, not the earth.

Some events talk about her as if she's responsible for your crops but from an actual gameplay perspective she's responsible for harmony (both within the clan and between clans), children, marriage, and to a lesser extent wealth. Just a bit of a lore-gameplay mismatch. I'm sure if we pick Nyalda in this event they'll get a crop blessing, even though for our clan in practice Pela is the goddess responsible for our successful harvests,

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Incidentally, Pella is what is called a "grain goddess" of which there is one for each major crop and each major region. :eng101:

Pella is the goddess of barley, I think, and her name is given to the region we live in, which is Peloria. The Orlanthi know many more grain goddesses through their marriage with the Earth tribe and as such their crops are better than ours.

Incidentally, Bursenari is an Animal Mother, who are much the same, except for animals, right down to the Orlanthi knowing more of them.

drat rams.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly, from everything other than the game explicitly telling you she's an earth goddess, I'd say she's much more associated with marriage than anything else. I mean it's hardly unusual for earth goddesses to be about marriage too but at least Ernalda could bless your crops. Nyalda's blessings are "Bless Children", "Cooperation", "Crafting", and "Hospitality", which with the possible exception of Crafting are pretty domestic and don't have much direct connection with the earth. Her ritual is about marriage too--the brief summary (which the Blazing Goats already know even if they don't know the details) is "In a darkening world, Nyalda realizes that the survival of her people depends on her finding the best husband. Although Elmal thinks he is winning her, she and her retinue ensure that Nyalda is winning him," again a story about marriage, not the earth.

Some events talk about her as if she's responsible for your crops but from an actual gameplay perspective she's responsible for harmony (both within the clan and between clans), children, marriage, and to a lesser extent wealth. Just a bit of a lore-gameplay mismatch. I'm sure if we pick Nyalda in this event they'll get a crop blessing, even though for our clan in practice Pela is the goddess responsible for our successful harvests,

Nyalda is also the mother of some (all?) of the other Earth-aligned deities.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I had god-learner inclinations I'd say that the linguistic similarities and similar domains of Nyalda and Ernalda mean they are really the same goddess and that Rams and Riders probably have a common cultural ancestry

Fortunately I'm not a god learner because Nyalda's way better than that tempestuous trouble-maker Orlanth married

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Intercede

Why spend magic on this when we can talk it out for free?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NewMars posted:

Pella is the goddess of barley, I think, and her name is given to the region we live in, which is Peloria. The Orlanthi know many more grain goddesses through their marriage with the Earth tribe and as such their crops are better than ours.

Incidentally, Bursenari is an Animal Mother, who are much the same, except for animals, right down to the Orlanthi knowing more of them.
Clearly we need to raid the Rams and steal us some deities.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ratoslov posted:

Clearly we need to raid the Rams and steal us some deities.

Fun fact: Romans did this in real life. They'd conduct rituals where they sacrificed a bunch to try to entice their enemy's god over via bribery, then set up a shrine to them since they were now a Roman god

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If I had god-learner inclinations I'd say that the linguistic similarities and similar domains of Nyalda and Ernalda mean they are really the same goddess and that Rams and Riders probably have a common cultural ancestry

Fortunately I'm not a god learner because Nyalda's way better than that tempestuous trouble-maker Orlanth married

Also the rams most certainly do not have a common cultural ancestry with the Riders according to westerner philosophy. According to the sorcerous knowledge of the Xeotam Dialogues, purportedly the wisdom of he, Zzabur Himself, the Rams would be hsunchen, or rather, descended from the animal-peoples of that name, save for their heroes, who would be Ifaldorings, or god-children, descended from air-rune dieties. Hyalorings on the other hand, would most certainly be Ifaldorings in total, due to the nature of Dara Happans who were born from the deities of the solar court who descended to the earth, meaning that we would come from entirely different sources, even if we were the same type of people at all. :eng101:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun fact: Romans did this in real life. They'd conduct rituals where they sacrificed a bunch to try to entice their enemy's god over via bribery, then set up a shrine to them since they were now a Roman god

I love religion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

cheetah7071 posted:

This makes perfect sense actually.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought they'd just grab statues etc from conquered territories, and set them up in Rome.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

I thought they'd just grab statues etc from conquered territories, and set them up in Rome.

I mean, they did that too. The ritual I'm thinking of was mostly used by armies in the field to try to strip divine blessings away from the enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_ancient_Roman_religion#evocatio

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Spirit ritual! We've got two spirit-talkers on the ring, I think that gives us a pretty good chance of helping.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Both are Riders and our neighbors. Intercede.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Kind of disappointed you can't kill the emissary and Raid them after they ask for help. This is the Bronze Age, the weak don't deserve even a fast death.

Barring that, I say Ritual, as we're the best magicians anyway.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, they did that too. The ritual I'm thinking of was mostly used by armies in the field to try to strip divine blessings away from the enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_ancient_Roman_religion#evocatio

We're a few thousand years early for them to matter, but the Lunar Empire takes this sort of thing seriously, and because the Red Goddess takes an active interest in Her empire it tends to work. Their goddess of Trade and Communication is the daughter of Issaries (the Rams' trade god.)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

TwoQuestions posted:

Kind of disappointed you can't kill the emissary and Raid them after they ask for help. This is the Bronze Age, the weak don't deserve even a fast death.

I see we have the Bad King councilor Urgrain in our midst.

Intercede. Diplomacy is the solution. If we succeed we gain both peoples respect.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

wiegieman posted:

We're a few thousand years early for them to matter, but the Lunar Empire takes this sort of thing seriously, and because the Red Goddess takes an active interest in Her empire it tends to work. Their goddess of Trade and Communication is the daughter of Issaries (the Rams' trade god.)

That's what the rams say, but the truth is known to the lunars: in that she was actually a living person who was able to become a god within time by the intercession of the red goddess. Orlanthi deny this because this breaks every single tenant of the great compromise that stops the world from being destroyed. Lunars, of course, know that the compromise, like many things, is merely an illusion.

Unlike many things in glorantha this is probably something with only one true perspective: Etyries really was a living person who was born in the lunar empire and doesn't seem to have any relevance to Issiaries at all.

Edit: Aside from maybe being a cultist of him when she was mortal?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 19, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cheetah7071 posted:

Not just the Romans, I believe the Hittites did the same thing.

One of the probable causes of the shift from henotheism (worshiping one god but acknowledging others exist) to something closer to modern monotheism among the worshipers of Yahweh was losing the war to Babylon. You see, the common idea was that the Gods of the two nations fight it out while the armies do the same on earth, and whoever triumphs on earth, their God won in the heavens. So when the Babylonians were victorious and symbolically had Marduk take Yahweh captive by taking spoil from the Temple, that was meant to be proof that Yahweh had lost. But some of the followers of Yahweh came up with the theological innovation that actually, their God had used the Babylonians as the iron rod of his anger against his followers, because they'd broken their covenants with him by sinning. Thus came about the idea that nothing happens unless Yahweh gives it his say-so, which leads towards modern Monotheism.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
"We didn't lose, we WANTED you to win. Because of our... devious plans! You'll see how you activated my trap soon enough!"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Don't turn your nose up at the classics, kid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically religious studies is a fun time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
We are a talky clan and we do not give our magic to penniless nerds. Intercede.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I recall kodp having a random event where your explorer would just run into a bunch of wind spirits who would teleport them back in time to a great battle against demon worshipping berserkers who weild their axes with such skill that their swings would open tears in reality that chaos monsters would slip through (holy :black101: BTW) and saying that the battle happened a long time ago.

sure would be a metal as gently caress shame if we were near that era

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Agean90 posted:

I recall kodp having a random event where your explorer would just run into a bunch of wind spirits who would teleport them back in time to a great battle against demon worshipping berserkers who weild their axes with such skill that their swings would open tears in reality that chaos monsters would slip through (holy :black101: BTW) and saying that the battle happened a long time ago.

sure would be a metal as gently caress shame if we were near that era

Good news! That's the next game!

I don't consider it a spoiler since it's literally in the description of the next game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You can do it in your ritual post if you care, I think.

Ritual to Busenari I guess, but I don't particularly care to whom.
I am changing my vote from Ritual to Intercede. Ritual might piss off the Shining Blossom or just lead to the first clan getting constantly re-raided when diplomacy might make both of them like us and actually solve the problem.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Intercede.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ritual- its what our circle favors and we have a ton of extra clan magic

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I am changing my vote from Ritual to Intercede. Ritual might piss off the Shining Blossom or just lead to the first clan getting constantly re-raided when diplomacy might make both of them like us and actually solve the problem.

This is an excellent point. We should definitely use our words and offer to intercede.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The developer of this game is doing an AMA right now on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/907qnp/ama_by_developerdesignerproducer_of_six_ages_and/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Intercede