Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Powershift posted:

New edge mustangs are starting to look mighty attractive.

They look cool when you don't own one.

When you own one they look like burning stacks of dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Like a hole in the crowd you throw money into?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:drat:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Vital Signs posted:

So, as this will be my first "project car," what sort of repairs should I stay away from to avoid getting in over my head. I'm now looking across the entire country, and there are MR2's out there for 1kish and they need work (obviously). I just want to know what issues are a giant red flag that I should avoid at all costs. Should I avoid something this cheap because of the amount of work it will probably have? I'm very comfortable with bolt on stuff and swapping out various parts (hoses, lines, and such), but I'm worried that if I go this cheap I'll run into engine or transmission problems, and I'm not sure I'm going to have the ability or tools needed to have to do these right out of the gate. Am I better off setting a higher starting point for my buy price?

Just avoid rust. You can learn bit by bit but maybe try to avoid ones with grinding syncros (seemed common on lower priced ones I've seen). There are some lovely jobs on MR2s (look up hose from hell) but they don't seem too bad.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Here's a picture of my ride for the "Post your own ride" thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

The solution is don't put boost in.

Ban this sick filth.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hey, they brap better without boost.

Well, as long as you have enough port.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TheGoatTrick posted:

I posted this car here about 10 years ago, but I cleaned it up and did ceramic coating last week so I'm posting it again.

I did full detail, paint correction then ceramic coat a couple days after I brougty my M3 home and it was worth every penny. It's so easy to clean and a lazy wash makes it look like you spent the morning detailing. If I ever buy anything new/nice I'll be doing it again.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Nice one, one good truck deserves another:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

are they a better fit for tall dudes than NA cars? i raced in a NA spec miata and it was very uncomfortable

I drove an NA and it was easier for me to look over the windshield than through it and every time I let the clutch out my knee would get lodged between the steering wheel and the door. Ended up letting the clutch out 85% and then kinda side stepping off it.

Everything has gotten better since then in terms of ergonomics so I bet the NCs are at least somewhat better.

Tbf I'm 6'6".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Looks like it rubs a lot. Does it rub a lot?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheGoatTrick posted:

I posted this car here about 10 years ago, but I cleaned it up and did ceramic coating last week so I'm posting it again.

Man that looks nice, well done.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

veiled boner fuel posted:

I drove an NA and it was easier for me to look over the windshield than through it and every time I let the clutch out my knee would get lodged between the steering wheel and the door. Ended up letting the clutch out 85% and then kinda side stepping off it.

Everything has gotten better since then in terms of ergonomics so I bet the NCs are at least somewhat better.

Tbf I'm 6'6".

I couldn’t drive my ex’s NA with the top up (6’3)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Hey, I didn't say you shouldn't put boost in, or I wouldn't put boost in.
You just have to expect to see apex seals if you do, eventually.

FWIW: I own five RX-7s. One of them runs, or rather did about a year ago. Another might if I put the (automatic) transmission back in it. And none of them are boosted.

#justrotarythings

edit: another one probably runs, but only does it on one rotor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SquirrelGrip posted:

MR2’s look small but fit big people

100% correct. At 6'6" and 225 I DD'd mine for a year or two.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I reckon you guys could fit if you low mounted those ergo fibreglass seats?
I’m 6’1 and can drive NA with roof up and normal low mount buckets

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LeeMajors posted:

I couldn’t drive my ex’s NA with the top up (6’3)

I'm sure I couldn't have even gotten into it with the top up.

The only time I ever drove them was when I worked for a Pontiac/Jeep/Eagle/Mazda dealer and we had to drive all the cars over to the Wal-Mart parking lot for the annual tent sale.

A horde of 20 something idiot car salesmen racing Miatas through town. I'm sure anyone that saw it was really impressed. I remember one guy yanking the ebrake in Miata when he was doing 50 or so.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 5' 8" and the upper window sill is directly in front on me. Who were the people these cars were designed for?

But at the same time it's pretty cool because you know the car wasn't practically designed to make it even better to drive for the price.

Since this is that thread. Here's mine.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 20, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tbf I'm 6'6".

i'm 6'4"

i raced for 2 hours in a spec miata and halfway through the race, i turned onto the straight and decided to stretch my left leg by putting it between the clutch pedal and brake. my leg locked up :eyepop: i had to physically pull my thigh back with my hands to get it back into working order to clutch down for the turn at the end of the straight. not quite a code brown but pretty close.

i really hated how the NA dead pedal is located, truly awful for a tall driver.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hey, they brap better without boost.

Well, as long as you have enough port.

They brap pretty good factory port and straight pipe to factory muffler!

Hack the muffler off and they open a portal to hell

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

clutchpuck posted:

They brap better like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RYZR5orxR8

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Looks like it rubs a lot. Does it rub a lot?
I bought the wheels and tires going off the PO's word on the suspension lift, so the inner fenders got cut up a little.

It rubs if I'm going too fast over a bump with the wheels turned, but on flat ground there's no rub. Suspension is the first thing on my current list for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need to tell my buddy who has a lovely home made turbo conversion to just do this instead.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

clutchpuck posted:

They brap best while idling fire:
https://www.facebook.com/rotarytechrallycross/videos/246770675914075/ (Hats off to KaptainBallistic for sharing this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUBK8FLjTA

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

All

the

photos

of

my

car

:)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm sure I couldn't have even gotten into it with the top up.

The only time I ever drove them was when I worked for a Pontiac/Jeep/Eagle/Mazda dealer and we had to drive all the cars over to the Wal-Mart parking lot for the annual tent sale.

A horde of 20 something idiot car salesmen racing Miatas through town. I'm sure anyone that saw it was really impressed. I remember one guy yanking the ebrake in Miata when he was doing 50 or so.

It's really a shame because Miatas are insanely fun to drive. The AW11 was steadier through curves imo, but the Miata was really really close. We'd thrash it pretty good on sunny days--I'm just glad we never rolled it. I'd have been dead-dead.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

I did it myself using this. It took about 9 hours to wash, clay, polish (one pass with Meguiar's 105 and an orange pad), and apply two coats of ceramic. In total I used maybe $130 worth of supplies, not including the polisher.

There's a bunch more info in the detailing thread; I went into detail about coating my other car here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=29684#post474020997
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=29684#post479176308

Thanks! That's super helpful, I don't do any detailing besides just washing my car so I hadn't looked into doing it myself

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Technically not my ride. But I got lucky at the rental car lot and scored a ND RF as a rental for my 1800 mile road trip from San Fran to Oregon (backpacking with college friends) then to Yosemite for some more backpacking then home. Observations, the RF has low head room, is sub optimal for a weeks worth of backpacking gear and 2 people, but with creative packing works, also loving awesome MPG and motherfucking killer turn-in/mid corner dynamics. If I had 25+ to spend on a toy second miata id have one in a heart beat.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 22, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Teach me how to rent cars because :stare:

I got a base Fiesta most recently.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
My company has a negotiated rate with National for $30 a day on "emerald isle" cars. Sometimes its just generic rental cars but at the big airports ive gotten more luck with things like the ND RF and Cherokee Trailhawk.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

Teach me how to rent cars because :stare:

I got a base Fiesta most recently.

Buy whatever class for that company that gets you the ability to self-select in the aisle. Having status helps. I’ve had all manner of weird rentals from national’s executive/elite aisle - GTI, Q3, 428i convertible, etc. in addition to the standard selections - mustangs, camaros.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Welp, just impulse purchased a '95 XJ on eBay while driving home from a weekend trip. I bid in the last minute and only raised the bid $50. Expected to get outbid, but nope. Accidentally won.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=173408203333&

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"oops"

Looks clean as hell. If my WJ ever shits the engine, I'd be tempted to get a '95-down XJ to replace it - since it should be much easier to LS-swap one and get it through emissions.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

DropShadow posted:

Welp, just impulse purchased a '95 XJ on eBay while driving home from a weekend trip. I bid in the last minute and only raised the bid $50. Expected to get outbid, but nope. Accidentally won.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=173408203333&

Bathe me in beige senpai. :popeye:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bathe me in beige senpai. :popeye:

IOwnCalculus posted:

"oops"

Looks clean as hell. If my WJ ever shits the engine, I'd be tempted to get a '95-down XJ to replace it - since it should be much easier to LS-swap one and get it through emissions.

Check out that seller's other auctions. He's got a couple other nice XJ's listed right now. One went from $7k to a final bid of $10k in the hour that I was watching mine.

I'm happy with the purchase though. I love how original and ugly it is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DropShadow posted:

Holy crap, that thing is beautiful.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy crap, that thing is beautiful.

I'm giddy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yesterday we bought a Renault Twingo supermini for wife's commute. Registered late 2016 with ~ 10k miles on the clock. Four year/ 60k mile warranty. Mildly interesting technically because it is RWD and rear engine. Just a 1.0 three cylinder though, so certainly not sporty. The weight is just 940 kg (2070 lbs) so it is not too bad in below highway speeds.