Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They need to give sledge the ability to hot breach windows without something having to place a charge on it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Putting frost traps in the lift shaft on Tower is the only way that map is bearable.

There are a couple maps I miss as a result of the Ranked playlist, but boy I am happy never to see a few of them again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If they really really want to balance around Pro League, they should just have two different sets of balance. One for Pro League, one for everyone else.

Is it a lot more work? Yes. Will it lead to a better game for the hundreds of thousands of players that aren't PL, and help grow the game? Maybe.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If they really really want to balance around Pro League, they should just have two different sets of balance. One for Pro League, one for everyone else.

Is it a lot more work? Yes. Will it lead to a better game for the hundreds of thousands of players that aren't PL, and help grow the game? Maybe.

I can't think of any game that does this off the top of my dome, unless you know of something obvious that flew under my radar

Orv posted:

There are a couple maps I miss as a result of the Ranked playlist, but boy I am happy never to see a few of them again.

Yeah House can get fuuuuuuuucked

Whenever I play frost I hide for the entire prep phase so the other team doesn't immediately bark "oh watch out for frost traps", and this has usually worked out pretty well

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Making frost traps less "binary" is 100% them wanting to turn them into gu mines.

they wanna rework thatcher too which is understandable because he is one step above finka in terms of spammable complexity but since game designer Jean-Baptiste Hallé apparently just learned the word "binary" we can only guess its going to change the effect of the EMPs and not how they are actually deployed.

if Ubi allows the most obvious thing in the world and makes it so that defenders can just shoot the god drat loving EMPs before detonation it would give them a lot more wiggle room.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No no no

Balance the game for play at a professional level. Casual/ranked should follow suit with minor alterations to rule sets that make the game more accessible, without changing the gameplay.

For example: 1st to 3 in casual is good becuase it speeds the game up without changing the actual play. The 4 minute timer and fixed spawns in casual are bad because operator abilities and maps are balanced around a 3 minute round with multiple, chosen spawns. Good players know how to exploit the differences in causal and players learn the game accordingly. This results in a rough transition when players decide to check out ranked play, which is a bad thing.

You can't expect the game to thrive on a pro level if good players who decide to try and go pro suddenly cross an arbitrary line where things are balanced differently. Thats bad. If you balance the game at the pro level, the meta follows suit at all levels and the game is better.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 19, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

as it is, the time difference between casual and ranked already makes a noticeable impact on many operator abilities imo

also they aren't wrong in that Frost is among the weakest operators. her trap is way too big which means the main thing she contributes is forcing attackers to prefire the floor when vaulting through choke points

i like the mechanic of it but i almost never play her anymore since her traps are probably the most annoying to deploy stealthily

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Everyone in this thread must be game designers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fart Car '97 posted:

You can't expect the game to thrive on a pro level if good players who decide to try and go pro suddenly cross an arbitrary line where things are balanced differently. Thats bad. If you balance the game at the pro level, the meta follows suit at all levels and the game is better.

I don't know if you're aware of this but college football has different rules than the pros; little league has different rules than the pros; most "amateur" leagues have different rules then the pros IRL. This has never been a valid point and there's plenty of RL data to refute it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't know if you're aware of this but college football has different rules than the pros; little league has different rules than the pros; most "amateur" leagues have different rules then the pros IRL. This has never been a valid point and there's plenty of RL data to refute it.
wowie I thought I'd read the dumbest argument today in a trump thread

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
im gonna have some good laughs when finka's winrate goes up due to her being able to effectively hand out more health and revive downed allies more frequently

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"People are going to get confused if when they go pro there are different rules" *points out that literally across almost every sport this is what happens* "lol that's really dumb"

ok

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

"People are going to get confused if when they go pro there are different rules" *points out that literally across almost every sport this is what happens* "lol that's really dumb"

ok
did you know there were different rules in 2018 BC too. makes you think.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus christ.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nerf Sledge where sometimes the hammer's handle breaks and it stays permanently broken until next day

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dizz posted:

Nerf Sledge where sometimes the hammer's handle breaks and it stays permanently broken until next day

Just add a crafting system where you have to collect wood first to rebuild it

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Killing enemies is too binary. They're either dead or they're not. Fix it.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

moar HoTs!!1

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sports aren't videogames

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sports aren't videogames

Pro league gaming is treated as a sport. An electronic sport, or e-sport, as it were.

But ok let's do straight up videogames:

Also many pro league players switch games. A lot of RB6 players came in from other FPS games.

In fighting games many of the top players switch games every couple of years.

There's a team in RB6 that started on Xbox and went to PC. They did fine and they learned an entirely new control scheme inside of 3 months.

There's literally no evidence for what you're saying mattering. Sorry.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

You are stupid and wrong to boot. Get outta here, kid.

The casual ruleset sucks and makes for a less fun game that's way more passive. It would be a good decision to unify the rulesets if only because one is objectively superior from a gameplay perspective.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pro league gaming is treated as a sport. An electronic sport, or e-sport, as it were.

But ok let's do straight up videogames:

Also many pro league players switch games. A lot of RB6 players came in from other FPS games.

In fighting games many of the top players switch games every couple of years.

There's a team in RB6 that started on Xbox and went to PC. They did fine and they learned an entirely new control scheme inside of 3 months.

There's literally no evidence for what you're saying mattering. Sorry.

There's a lotta dumb poo poo you're saying but I'll leave it at "every single successful e-sport game is balanced for the pro level." Why should R6 be different?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Want to remind everyone that the thing I was responding to is "You can't expect the game to thrive on a pro level if good players who decide to try and go pro suddenly cross an arbitrary line where things are balanced differently." which is 100% pure strain bullshit. I never said that casual was better than ranked or anything else, I never said that the e-sports style game shouldn't be balanced at the highest tier, just pointed out it's a 100% bogus sentiment and you can look at the real world to disprove it. Since I bruised some egos by totally destroying that statement with 100% irrefutable examples I understand the hostility.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

If only there was some kind of massive, unified body that designed every individual sport and could dictate changes on them and completely stop house or regional rules from being a thing. Oh well, since in my mind there is I'll make a broad one to one comparison of sports to videogames.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Want to remind everyone that the thing I was responding to is "You can't expect the game to thrive on a pro level if good players who decide to try and go pro suddenly cross an arbitrary line where things are balanced differently." which is 100% pure strain bullshit. I never said that casual was better than ranked or anything else, I never said that the e-sports style game shouldn't be balanced at the highest tier, just pointed out it's a 100% bogus sentiment and you can look at the real world to disprove it. Since I bruised some egos by totally destroying that statement with 100% irrefutable examples I understand the hostility.

Sports aren't videogames and the comparison doesn't work

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Actually, you're right, they decided to call them e-sports, so they are the same thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I literally gave a bunch of video game examples and you just totally ignored them.

Sorry to hurt your ego, it really wasn't my intention.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I literally gave a bunch of video game examples and you just totally ignored them.

nobody agrees with you, im sorry

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't want to point this out but right now the Pro League has a totally arbitrary rules change: the Pick and Ban system, which completely takes operators out of the meta. Exists only in Pro League.

Absolutely nobody cares at all and the scene is "thriving", which according to you is not possible.

Imagine being so dumb that you didn't even realize that there's a counter example to your point in the actual game we're discussing.

Well, it's been fun.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

how did michael jordan's baseball career go?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I think only having pick/ban in one type of competitive play is stupid as well. I would like to ban operators but I also don't want to wait around for 4 mins doing it before the game starts, but I want it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
A more apt ~sports analogue~ would be that it doesn't make sense two different sized stadiums for the same ruleset of sports. Or have one league play American football with an anvil and the other ban use of cleats. Because that was what was originally implied that the game should have two or more mechanically different modes for different levels of balanced play.

The game already does custom rules (ban/pick, round time, limited game modes) between casual, ranked and any given pro league competition of Siege. Which is totally cool because it doesn't change how the game works, just how it is played and totally analogous with real sports.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno man, history of baseball shows exactly why there's a reason for that.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
FIXED: baseball players no longer mistake testicles for balls for strike

tjones
May 13, 2005
Real sports would be more fun with Ubisoft glitches and bugs.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

so for reference these are supposedly the global population stats for ranks if yall really want to go down this rabbit hole:

with roughly 5k Diamonds vs the 135k players in Gold IV+III and practically identical trends across every platform

also fwiw there's barely 13k people in Copper IV so stop acting like you'll ever end up there on accident without insane bad luck if you are of remotely average skill

Faffel posted:

I think only having pick/ban in one type of competitive play is stupid as well. I would like to ban operators but I also don't want to wait around for 4 mins doing it before the game starts, but I want it.

it seems like a cool novelty but i don't understand why people sincerely want this in a game where gathering intel and hiding your identity have incredible benefits and are another layer to the recon and more importantly stealth meta which is handled better than any other game that has ever been this popular (for example: literal invisibility is limited to gadgets, unlike rogues/spies in WoW/TF2)

allowing players to pick/ban in normal matchmaking would mostly be used for griefing more often than not. imagine you just unlocked your first DLC operator and me and my nerd friends that live inside the game can just look up your stats on the fly mid-match and ban that operator every round

at the professional level these elite chairborne cyber-Athletes have always assumed that they would be spotted and rarely incorporated hiding their identity into their competitive gameplay - especially when top tier players can generally asses where the obj is located within seconds via echolocation and teamwork

even as it stands in pro-league, when they actually bother to do it the reveal phase has professional cyber athletes cheesing last nanosecond switches and this would just lead to more kids crying on the microphone in yet another layer of expected miscommunication when playing with randumbs - and believe it or not but most people play ranked solo.

e: keep in mind this is a game with a playerbase so retarded that it had to have its entire drone scoring restructured which still hasn't fixed the problem as much as a simple option to toggle teammates from scanning on your drones on/off (sorry valk)

Thief fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 20, 2018

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hmm....
I just spent 15 minutes in queue for matchmaking. No match
:(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Bananana posted:

Hmm....
I just spent 15 minutes in queue for matchmaking. No match
:(

That kinda thing happens for me too, now and again - seems like the matchmaking is just broken, sometimes. If I queue for longer than 2-3min, I'll stop queuing and re-queue, then I'll generally find a match straight away.
(Assuming you weren't already doing that, anyway!)

tjones
May 13, 2005
The Ubisoft servers in general have been poo poo as of late. I think someone linked a report in this thread where Ubi claimed they were getting DDOSed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thief posted:

so for reference these are supposedly the global population stats for ranks if yall really want to go down this rabbit hole:

with roughly 5k Diamonds vs the 135k players in Gold IV+III and practically identical trends across every platform

also fwiw there's barely 13k people in Copper IV so stop acting like you'll ever end up there on accident without insane bad luck if you are of remotely average skill

it seems like a cool novelty but i don't understand why people sincerely want this in a game where gathering intel and hiding your identity have incredible benefits and are another layer to the recon and more importantly stealth meta which is handled better than any other game that has ever been this popular (for example: literal invisibility is limited to gadgets, unlike rogues/spies in WoW/TF2)

allowing players to pick/ban in normal matchmaking would mostly be used for griefing more often than not. imagine you just unlocked your first DLC operator and me and my nerd friends that live inside the game can just look up your stats on the fly mid-match and ban that operator every round

at the professional level these elite chairborne cyber-Athletes have always assumed that they would be spotted and rarely incorporated hiding their identity into their competitive gameplay - especially when top tier players can generally asses where the obj is located within seconds via echolocation and teamwork

even as it stands in pro-league, when they actually bother to do it the reveal phase has professional cyber athletes cheesing last nanosecond switches and this would just lead to more kids crying on the microphone in yet another layer of expected miscommunication when playing with randumbs - and believe it or not but most people play ranked solo.

e: keep in mind this is a game with a playerbase so retarded that it had to have its entire drone scoring restructured which still hasn't fixed the problem as much as a simple option to toggle teammates from scanning on your drones on/off (sorry valk)

pick/bans are cool, but really only work in the context of a league setting at this point. they're super interesting in that context tho