Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress Mandalore.
Hope Ahsoka uses the time portal to kill every one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is good :discourse:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guess I need to get back into the clone wars show. Still on Netflix?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I'd never even considered it; never mind heard there was any kind of campaign going on. Was it just Filoni badgering Kathleen Kennedy in private or something, because they played that close to their loving chest. That said, Clone Wars and Resistance as well as whatever live action poo poo they have planned? Awesome. The animatic from season 6 of Anakin doing Gun Kata to a clearly impressed but reluctant to admit it Obi-Wan before they have a conversation about Ahsoka where Anakin asks Obi-Wan how he'd feel if Anakin left the order will finally get some animation and I can't wait. It was already one of the best parts of the show even as a slide show, so seeing it in full production should be great. I hope we also get to find out what Palpatine does with Maul.

That said, I do wonder how much production of this will carry over. Lucas is no longer personally funding it, but at the same time they presumably still have a lot of the 3D models and assets from the show on hand so maybe it won't look quite as good but shouldn't look as barebones as Rebels did at times?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I doubt it took much badgering on Filoni’s part. Disney has a streaming service they want to fill with content; Filoni & Co had already completed loads of work on the season before it was left unfinished. Add to that how TCW is a known product with a huge fan following and Filoni is just coming off Rebels, another well-received show. Finishing this season was almost certainly cheaper than creating something totally from scratch.

It’s a win-win for everyone involved.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Plus it gives them time to make sense of the Maul cameo in Solo since nobody knows what happened between clone wars and rebels to set that poo poo up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, they are redoing some old clone wars stuff or new stuff for a season?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

Wait, they are redoing some old clone wars stuff or new stuff for a season?

These will be brand new episodes; but we've seen bits of some of them in the preproduction stuff they put up on starwars.com of episodes that were unfinished when the show was cancelled

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure they didnt need much badgering as they promoted Filoni to head of all animation projects in 2016 and I'm pretty sure that was because they knew they were going to run multiple projects to fill their streaming service.

Psyched for this, CW was very good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
10/10

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Is that cave base the same one that they found deserted in Rebels? The one with the huge gremlins/toad-looking monsters inside that Ezra controls at one point? If so, cool.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

my reaction to the clonewars new season announcement

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Is that cave base the same one that they found deserted in Rebels? The one with the huge gremlins/toad-looking monsters inside that Ezra controls at one point? If so, cool.
I don’t know if it’s the same planet, but I’m pretty sure it’s the same art asset. I remember that they mentioned the Rebels environment was an unused asset from Clone Wars.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Same place yes.

Although in rebels the planet/moon is fragmented and now an asteroid belt.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 20, 2018

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

drunkill posted:

Same place yes.

Sweet, thanks for the pictures.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

drunkill posted:

Same place yes.

:eyepop:

I recognized the base configuration as similar to the one from Rebels, but I hadn't realized they were one and the same. The ridges even match up and everything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thats pretty cool, good eye

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They do call it out in Rebels as being a disused Clone War ammo dump, right?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz-L posted:

yeah and there's clone wars era tech in the background like republic gunships

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gaz-L posted:

In its second appearance in 1x09 they call it "the asteroid field with the old clone base". They just call it an unnamed "abandoned base" and Fulcrum uses it for a cargo drop to them in 1x07 in its first appearance.

Seems like it was identified as an asteroid that used to be part of the destroyed planet Anaxes in one of the Rebels kids novels, and Anaxes is what the planet was called in the Bad Batch story.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars: Resistance's 1st season is going to be 22 episodes long, first episode is called "The Recruit".

I continue to be a bit dismayed at the complete lack of marketing for a series so (relatively) close to debuting.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I’d expect marketing to kick in any time now. Seems to me like they were waiting for the Solo blitz to die down, and obviously until after the Clone Wars announcement at SDCC.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait, this is starting in October? How is there not a full blown trailer for this out? Is there a major con coming up they're waiting for or something? Otherwise I can't see why they didn't release one alongside the Clone Wars one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

Wait, this is starting in October? How is there not a full blown trailer for this out? Is there a major con coming up they're waiting for or something? Otherwise I can't see why they didn't release one alongside the Clone Wars one.

Is Disney pooping out another Star Wars movie this holiday season? I assume so because why wouldn't they? Maybe they're waiting for that ad campaign to start?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ep 9 just started filming like last week so i dont think its gonna be out by christmas

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

tsob posted:

I think it’s conventional wisdom in marketing to keep different projects separated. That’s the reason why the Rogue One trailer came out a week or two after the TFA home video release, the TLJ trailer debuted after the R1 blu-ray, etc.

If they’d released a Resistance trailer alongside the Clone Wars one, Clone Wars would’ve stolen the thunder. If they release it on its own within the next month or so, it’ll get a lot more attention.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IRQ posted:

Is Disney pooping out another Star Wars movie this holiday season? I assume so because why wouldn't they? Maybe they're waiting for that ad campaign to start?

We already got this year's Star Wars film back in May. Next theatrical release is Episode IX.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IRQ posted:

Is Disney pooping out another Star Wars movie this holiday season? I assume so because why wouldn't they?

Probably because Disney actually likes to make money so they time movie releases in order to prevent their flicks from directly competing with each other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its still weird to me that Disney shoved all its big films this year in the early summer. Solo would have probably done much better if it had come out in the Fall or even better, Christmas.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Its still weird to me that Disney shoved all its big films this year in the early summer. Solo would have probably done much better if it had come out in the Fall or even better, Christmas.

Solo is my third fav movie out of the whole lot, it breaks my heart to see it do poorly

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My personal suspicion is that the thought process went something like "Well, Solo is already in rough shape due to the directorial shakeup, might as well use it as the experiment at recapturing May as 'The Star Wars Release Window'"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

They probably didn’t want to eat into ticket sales for Christopher Robin (8/3), Wreck It Ralph 2 (11/21), or Mary Poppins Returns (12/19). September and October are dead months for releases and they probably figured a crowded May release would be better. I still think the obvious choice should have been to release Solo in mid-June to provide enough of a buffer between IW and Ant-Man.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait Solo is out? For a few months? Man I need to pay more attention to stuff. :psyduck: I guess since I don't really watch TV I missed any advertising? Maybe?

Wait, Disney is making another Mary Poppins movie? WHY

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait Solo is out? For a few months? Man I need to pay more attention to stuff. :psyduck: I guess since I don't really watch TV I missed any advertising? Maybe?

Solo came out in mid-May, and it’ll hit digital/blu in early September.

Mary Poppins Returns stars Lin-Manuel Miranda who’s also doing the music, so it’s basically a guaranteed moneymaker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This was Disney's biggest failing with Solo; their marketing was really really low key for a Star Wars film

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jivjov posted:

This was Disney's biggest failing with Solo; their marketing was really really low key for a Star Wars film

Which didn't help quell the lovely rumors, either.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds like Kathleen Kennedy has made one too many missteps for the mouse and is on the way out anyway

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds like Kathleen Kennedy has made one too many missteps for the mouse and is on the way out anyway

[citation needed]

I doubt after three billion dollar movies and other successful projects that one underperforming film is gonna torpedo her

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jivjov posted:

[citation needed]

I doubt after three billion dollar movies and other successful projects that one underperforming film is gonna torpedo her

It's TLJ backlash, Solo being a box office flop, the amount of money she's wasted firing directors she's hired, the whole 'Rian Johnson trilogy' way too early announcement, the failure to crack China, and supposedly some other stuff about being too difficult to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

It's TLJ being a critical flop, Solo being a box office flop, the amount of money she's wasted firing directors she's hired, the whole 'Rian Johnson trilogy' announcement, and supposedly some other stuff about being too difficult to work with.

TLJ was wildly successful with critics. Something like 90+% positive. I don't see how announcing a trilogy from Rian Johnson, the guy who's last Star Wars film made a billion dollars, has an A- CinemaScore, and has that aforementioned 90+% positive critical reception is in any way a bad thing.

Edit: just double checked; 91% positive from critics, per rotten tomatoes 85 on Metacritic

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 27, 2018

• Locked thread