Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Horrible trans caricatures are only right behind dog eared slave girls and psychopathic revenge fantasies in terms of common tropes in this genre. At least bestiality is fairly unique.

...why do I read these lovely things again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
same reason as the rest of us. poor taste and poor character.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
spirit stones, my mortal foe :argh:

why did I start reading something on the pay site :(

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve really been enjoying reading Saving 80,000 Gold In Another World For Retirement. It’s by the same author as I Said Make My Abilities Average and it has the same wit to it. The aspect of using modern technology to cheat in the other world is portrayed fairly well (I liked her opening a blog to ask for help managing her territory), and the MC is just the right level of ruthless and not quite right in the head to be interesting but not to the psychopathic level you see in stuff like Chinese novels. Her only real ability is teleportation, but the author gets quite creative about how she can use it.

It’s too bad it’s a bit slow to get going and the translations I looked at were so bad I went back to reading the raw.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sunken fleet posted:

spirit stones, my mortal foe :argh:

why did I start reading something on the pay site :(

try search for the name of whatever it is you're reading on reddit

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Per the recommendations of this thread and the English Web Serial thread, I finally got around to reading Forge of Destiny - honestly, I should have done it sooner. I loved it, combining my two greatest guilty pleasure reading outlets - Xianxia and LitRPG. I would suggest anyone who reads xianxia stories to give it a shot....

That said, I HIGHLY recommend that you skip reading the thread because hoo-boy, what a dumpster fire. There's so much salt from people on the losing side of various votes that you could salinate a lake, much of it still coming out months after the relevant vote was cast. Event voting is particularly bad about this.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Silynt posted:

Per the recommendations of this thread and the English Web Serial thread, I finally got around to reading Forge of Destiny - honestly, I should have done it sooner. I loved it, combining my two greatest guilty pleasure reading outlets - Xianxia and LitRPG. I would suggest anyone who reads xianxia stories to give it a shot....

That said, I HIGHLY recommend that you skip reading the thread because hoo-boy, what a dumpster fire. There's so much salt from people on the losing side of various votes that you could salinate a lake, much of it still coming out months after the relevant vote was cast. Event voting is particularly bad about this.

we need to pick up a bunch of archery arts and here is why, also betray cai at the first opportunity (this is a joke, i am not serious)

it has some real great characterization though, very much an a+ read, this is also a great time to get into it with the end of the year tournament arc, and the preliminary round was one of the best chapters/action sequences/updates in the story yet. ling qi's aesthetics are just great

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 18, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I'm curious about the decisions that (apparently) lead to Ling Qi randomly learning polearms or something a while back. I remember the story mentioning her dabbling in some random weapons a long time ago.

Silynt posted:

Yeah, I never read the thread unless a Big Thing just happened and I want to read reactions to it. I would sometimes raise my eyebrow at the decisions people apparently made, though. I was particularly disappointed by people never spending much time with the mute guy or Gan Guangli. Growing apart from Han Jian was also a shame, since he's an interesting guy.

Forge of Destiny is unequivocally my favorite WN when it comes to fight scenes (which is funny given the randomized nature of certain aspects), and I might even rank it highest in terms of the quality of its characters. So few fighting-based series ever do a decent job with keeping things fun without making the protagonist overly powerful. It's not a WN, but one thing I really like about the LN Rokka no Yuusha is that it manages to keep the protagonist grounded while still having him be very competent.

edit: I was really disappointed when I tried reading other stories on Sufficient Velocity, in the hopes that I had just discovered a treasure trove of these interesting "quest" things, and all the other ones I read weren't nearly as good (though a few were still decent).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 18, 2018

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think the polearms, from what I could make out while re-reading large chunks of the story and checking thread discussion, came from a decision to test out a bunch of different weapons to see if she had any affinity with them, like she did with the bow. Han Jian also advised a certain degree of skill in the spear and sword as a standard thing for a noble, Cai actually had a similar recommendation but the current Archery skill should make up for it.

I am super excited to see what the next round in the tournament will feature. Bai Meizhen better win the whole loving thing though, and Kang Zihao needs to be punched in the schnoz. Sun Liling too really.

On quests, most do seem pretty bad really. I still like Paradise Lost, though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307

Basically goons control a bronze age hero, decisions get made. Some surprisingly good, many quite terrible. Features a magical talking dog.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

SerSpook posted:

we need to pick up a bunch of archery arts and here is why, also betray cai at the first opportunity (this is a joke, i am not serious)

it has some real great characterization though, very much an a+ read, this is also a great time to get into it with the end of the year tournament arc, and the preliminary round was one of the best chapters/action sequences/updates in the story yet. ling qi's aesthetics are just great

I've been hate reading the responses after some key sequences and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

"We lost a fight that the Elder later told us we weren't supposed to win. I'm going to spend the next 40 pages of the thread bitching that we haven't abandoned our developed path and switched to an entirely different skill set.

Oh you wanted to discuss our next actions? Too bad, I'm about to spend 20 pages arguing about how the trickster moon spirit we have been getting help from is Chaotic Evil.

We agreed to be a follower of a high ranking character instead of being a typical xianxia murderhobo, we have officially given up all player agency and chance of character development.

You loving idiots voted for the option to [insert choice] and it had an unforeseen negative consequence. If we had [insert other choice], obviously nothing else bad could have possibly happened! God you're all so loving stupid."

Help me I can't stop.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I'm curious about the decisions that (apparently) lead to Ling Qi randomly learning polearms or something a while back. I remember the story mentioning her dabbling in some random weapons a long time ago.

Yeah, I never read the thread unless a Big Thing just happened and I want to read reactions to it. I would sometimes raise my eyebrow at the decisions people apparently made, though. I was particularly disappointed by people never spending much time with the mute guy or Gan Guangli. Growing apart from Han Jian was also a shame, since he's an interesting guy.

Forge of Destiny is unequivocally my favorite WN when it comes to fight scenes (which is funny given the randomized nature of certain aspects), and I might even rank it highest in terms of the quality of its characters. So few fighting-based series ever do a decent job with keeping things fun without making the protagonist overly powerful. It's not a WN, but one thing I really like about the LN Rokka no Yuusha is that it manages to keep the protagonist grounded while still having him be very competent.

edit: I was really disappointed when I tried reading other stories on Sufficient Velocity, in the hopes that I had just discovered a treasure trove of these interesting "quest" things, and all the other ones I read weren't nearly as good (though a few were still decent).

The lack of interaction for the Boys i think is a combination of things; a consequence of only allowing a limited number of minors to spend on social activities, Sufficient Velocity’s user base tendency’s in regards to female protagonists and subsequent disdaining of male friends, and our friends constantly being on fire (literally in Xuilan’s case) led to us only being casual friends with any guy. Which is disappointing to be sure and gives us a rep of being some nerd cultivating machine

You might try Warhammer Fantasy: A Dynsty Of Dynamic Alcoholism. The story of a disgraced tenth son who is a blacksmith suddenly becoming an Elector Count and the copious drinking he does to get through having to chainsaw his way through all the horrors Warhammer Fantasy can throw at him and his family. The Reclimation Of Karak Ungor becomes Dwarf Vietnam and drags but it’s still pretty good and it’s resolution has a great holy poo poo how did we survive that feeling.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ling Qi also feels more comfortable and generally safer among women than she does men, she even thinks as much to herself earlier in the story regarding Bai Meizhen and part of why she had such a negative reaction to the kiss.

Silynt posted:

I've been hate reading the responses after some key sequences and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

"We lost a fight that the Elder later told us we weren't supposed to win. I'm going to spend the next 40 pages of the thread bitching that we haven't abandoned our developed path and switched to an entirely different skill set.

Oh you wanted to discuss our next actions? Too bad, I'm about to spend 20 pages arguing about how the trickster moon spirit we have been getting help from is Chaotic Evil.

We agreed to be a follower of a high ranking character instead of being a typical xianxia murderhobo, we have officially given up all player agency and chance of character development.

You loving idiots voted for the option to [insert choice] and it had an unforeseen negative consequence. If we had [insert other choice], obviously nothing else bad could have possibly happened! God you're all so loving stupid."

Help me I can't stop.

I recently read a bunch of the Grinning Moon poo poo and it's just the stupidest reactions that dude had. When the time for interactions with the Bloody Moon become a thing I pity the fools who have to read it.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Yes, the lack of minor actions and the constant rotating of a friendship on fire didn't help. And once a friendship has been established, it's necessary to rotate minors among the sls to keep the level stable since the thread is unlikely to abandon it. Plus, tbh, it was a little strange but all the boys skills are fairly standard facepunching. Meanwhile, Suyin picked up healing and formations, Su Ling tracks and hunts, and Meizhen is the best training partner given her strength. I think Xuan Shi had the best chance, but Suyin sorta took his slot as formation training buddy.

It does look like the thread is ok with Xuan Shi and likes Shen Hu though. And the thread also liked Ruan Shen and Liao Zhu (but he too is a bit outclassed as a music trainer by Zeqing who is also coincidentally easier to access than an inner sect tutor).

Han Jian got overshadowed by Xiulan because Xiulan trained politics and social stats by spending time with her, and the thread correctly identified as her as the key point to staying in good graces with GF group as a whole. Hf follows Hj, Fy listens to Xiulan, and Hj was unlikely given his character to oppose gx friends but gx would cause trouble if lq had sought to hang out with Hj alone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gan Guangli is a good boy and I want him and Ling Qi to fight with him all giant and Ling Qi standing on his shoulder like a little human parrot while she plays her flute.

I feel like Ling Qi mentioned at some point that Gan Guangli is one of the only people she can fully relax around, because she knows he has no ulterior motives and there's nothing else complicating the relationship.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Gan is great and I wish more people weren’t so dismissive of him because they can’t see past his loud persona even though he literally has talked how it is something of a mask and he has subtleties to him. Also I want to know what happened to his dad.

I also also love how even king fu robot Cai will bust Ling Qi’s chops about her love of beefy dudes. Anybody who knows our protag know she just can’t stop gawking at guys with shredded abs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

Gan is great and I wish more people weren’t so dismissive of him because they can’t see past his loud persona even though he literally has talked how it is something of a mask and he has subtleties to him. Also I want to know what happened to his dad.

I also also love how even king fu robot Cai will bust Ling Qi’s chops about her love of beefy dudes. Anybody who knows our protag know she just can’t stop gawking at guys with shredded abs.

I feel bad for Ling Qi that all the dumbass forum posters have lead her away from the swole guys she's attracted to*.

One other aspect of Gan that is interesting is that he's one of the very few characters who shares Ling Qi's background of not being from a noble cultivating family. I think the only other named characters like that are prisoner guy, who is kind of a dick (though it's funny how a big reason he's hanging with Sun Liling's crowd is that he has the hots for her), and sorta Li Suyin, though Li Suyin is still from a background where it isn't totally unheard of to cultivate, from what I recall.

* On this general note, I really like how the writer stuck to his guns about keeping the situation with Meizhen realistic. He didn't have Ling Qi randomly discover her bisexuality, regardless of what a fan-pleaser it would have been, and he also didn't have the issue randomly disappear after the first time they talked things out (which makes perfect sense - any teen living with their crush is going to have trouble with that situation). The same goes for stuff like having relationships sour with characters she doesn't spend as much time with. So many web novels read as barely veiled wish fulfillment, to the extent where protagonists almost never have negative relationships with characters, so it's nice to read something where the characters will naturally grow apart from the protagonist and just do their own thing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2018

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Shen Hu is a commoner too, and he's pretty cool (and talented).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ji Rong is a pretty interesting dude (well not him specifically, more the situation he is in). He's definitely a stereotypical xianxia protagonist, though of the sort from a very specific type. Things like Martial God Asura or Against the Gods is where his inspiration comes from. poo poo background but incredible talent, lots of enemies and in a normal story his raw talent and motivation to get strong would see him reach great heights and be able to crush everyone who doubted him. Classic wish fulfillment stuff.

Of course, this doesn't work for him. I don't even think it is his willingness to step on people weaker than him or anything that hosed him either, though it certainly didn't help. It's his general lack of awareness of his surroundings and the politics going on behind the scenes. In his point of view he makes the statement that he was set up by Xuan Shi and Cai, looking for an excuse to set him up and get him imprisoned for a month and unable to cultivate.

Now, it could just be that he refuses to believe he did anything wrong, but I think it's a lot more interesting to look at it from another angle. Sun Liling broke him out from that formation, then launched her assault on Cai's council. We also know that, around the same time, a puppet of Ling Qi showed up and started robbing people. This is also around the first time Ling Qi took tea with Cai Renxiang, and Ji Rong had done so just a bit before. That is also the meeting she set Ling Qi on finding out who was robbing people, which turned out to be the puppet.

When we look at the preliminary round in the tournament, we see Sun Liling's right-hand man literally using one of Gan Guangli's enforcers as a puppet.

A lot of people think Yan Renshu set the Ling Qi puppet up back in the day, and this is reasonable. But I think I really like the idea that it was a tactic arranged by Sun Liling to drive a wedge between Ji Rong, Ling Qi, and the Cai faction. If Ling Qi hadn't taken out that puppet, it's entirely possible she'd also be put in a formation like that and blamed for its actions, only to be heroically saved by Sun Liling. Just like what happened with Ji Rong.

I admit, I like this mainly because I hate Sun Liling and want to blame her for everything. I also like the implications to Ji Rong's character and that he wasn't just a petty fucker but someone that, confident in his raw talent and obvious in his dislike of the nobility, made no friends and hosed up a meeting with Cai. Making him real easy to set up and get turned into a literal pawn by another high ranking noble, aimed directly at the sort of noble most likely to not accept whatever bullshit gave Ji Rong the chip on his shoulder in the first place.

In conclusion, gently caress Sun Liling. Ji Rong should just go find a cave somewhere and cultivate.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Sun Liling is also probably deliberately slowing down Ji Rong's rate of growth. At his talent, he should be ahead of just about everybody except for maybe Meizhen but instead he's been stagnant for a long time. If it weren't for Lu Feng, he would have lost to Gan Guangli.

Since the author is probably using the same system for all the characters behind the scene so that all the growth rates seem natural, I'm curious what Cai Renxiang's and Meizhen's talent levels would be. They should probably be advancing faster than they are, but instead they seem like they're plodding along quite slowly. Maybe they just have some nutty arts they've been mastering? I suppose that's the only real possibility.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think they are really slowing down intentionally or anything. Cai had to run a faction, Sun did as well, that takes time and resources. Sun doesn't mind the resource cost as much, of course, being the spoiled grandchild of a White, to the extent of her granddad blatantly rigging the preliminary brackets.

It's important to keep in mind that Ling Qi is not a good measure for growth, she isn't even a good measure for growth for a Talent 6 cultivator. She had a ton of resources and opportunities other commoner Talent 6, or even noble Talent 6, cultivators don't get. The favor of the Grinning Moon is a pretty big deal for one thing. For all people joke Ji Rong is a xianxia protagonist, so is Ling Qi (just of a different variety). Whether this changes or not going forward, I don't know, but for whatever reason the dice decreed Ling Qi would have an absurdly lucky first year.

On Arts, I'm pretty sure Ling Qi actually had more Arts in general and more Arts mastered than Bai Meizhen did at time of breakthrough, Ling Qi actually sat on that breakthrough point for quite awhile before moving on.

e: i am also going to accept the idea that Sun Liling is sabotaging Ji Rong on no evidence or even much of a reason for it, purely on the merit of gently caress Sun Liling

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 20, 2018

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

SerSpook posted:

I don't think they are really slowing down intentionally or anything. Cai had to run a faction, Sun did as well, that takes time and resources. Sun doesn't mind the resource cost as much, of course, being the spoiled grandchild of a White, to the extent of her granddad blatantly rigging the preliminary brackets.

It's important to keep in mind that Ling Qi is not a good measure for growth, she isn't even a good measure for growth for a Talent 6 cultivator. She had a ton of resources and opportunities other commoner Talent 6, or even noble Talent 6, cultivators don't get. The favor of the Grinning Moon is a pretty big deal for one thing. For all people joke Ji Rong is a xianxia protagonist, so is Ling Qi (just of a different variety). Whether this changes or not going forward, I don't know, but for whatever reason the dice decreed Ling Qi would have an absurdly lucky first year.

On Arts, I'm pretty sure Ling Qi actually had more Arts in general and more Arts mastered than Bai Meizhen did at time of breakthrough, Ling Qi actually sat on that breakthrough point for quite awhile before moving on.

e: i am also going to accept the idea that Sun Liling is sabotaging Ji Rong on no evidence or even much of a reason for it, purely on the merit of gently caress Sun Liling

We have more raw Arts known, but we know for a fact that some Arts require way more cultivation in order to master. I'm guessing that most of the arts that the monsters have are probably along those lines.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

We have more raw Arts known, but we know for a fact that some Arts require way more cultivation in order to master. I'm guessing that most of the arts that the monsters have are probably along those lines.

I mean, things like Sable Crescent Step are comparable to what Bai Meizhen's own movement technique, or it was back when it was first found. It, and the other core arts of what Ling Qi does certainly takes longer, but not a truly massive amount. I'm unaware of where we know of these Arts that take so much longer that they have, beyond something like I just mentioned?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

SerSpook posted:

I mean, things like Sable Crescent Step are comparable to what Bai Meizhen's own movement technique, or it was back when it was first found. It, and the other core arts of what Ling Qi does certainly takes longer, but not a truly massive amount. I'm unaware of where we know of these Arts that take so much longer that they have, beyond something like I just mentioned?

Oh no, I'm just making an assumption. I just think it odd that all the monsters are, although clearly advancing, also advancing much more slowly compared to Ling Qi. I think it unlikely that they wouldn't have comparable drugs and the like to assist in cultivation, so I'm kinda assuming that they have some really expensive arts (like Abyssal Exhalation) that they have in their back pocket and haven't been revealing.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Sun Liling and Bai Meizhen, at least, started out four to five months of cultivation ahead of Ling Qi, broke through to the third realm four to five months before she did and advanced a stage in that realm a while ago, likely four to five months before she will (maybe even longer in the case of Sun Liling). They're advancing at roughly the same pace, but it feels like she's gaining on them because the gap is shrinking in relative terms: the difference between zero and four looks very different than the difference between twelve and sixteen.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Oh no, I'm just making an assumption. I just think it odd that all the monsters are, although clearly advancing, also advancing much more slowly compared to Ling Qi. I think it unlikely that they wouldn't have comparable drugs and the like to assist in cultivation, so I'm kinda assuming that they have some really expensive arts (like Abyssal Exhalation) that they have in their back pocket and haven't been revealing.

I see where you're coming from and I think I see where the disagreement is. Once you hit Green, you slow down a whole lot. It takes 1200 successes to reach Appraisal, and then I'd not be surprised if it doubles to get to Foundation. The gap with Ling Qi has narrowed in the sense that now everyone is in the real world of cultivation and gains will start to take months of effort, so the advantage they had at the start of the year was basically completely eaten away. Obviously they still hold advantage in terms of Arts available to them and talismans and the like.

HundredBears posted:

Sun Liling and Bai Meizhen, at least, started out four to five months of cultivation ahead of Ling Qi, broke through to the third realm four to five months before she did and advanced a stage in that realm a while ago, likely four to five months before she will (maybe even longer in the case of Sun Liling). They're advancing at roughly the same pace, but it feels like she's gaining on them because the gap is shrinking in relative terms: the difference between zero and four looks very different than the difference between twelve and sixteen.

This is basically true. Bai Meizhen started cultivating earlier than that, so did Cai Renxiang, but effectively none of it really mattered until around 14 years old. The gap in raw time is similar but the realm differences have greatly narrowed because, in the grand scheme of things, a few months is nothing.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

SerSpook posted:

This is basically true. Bai Meizhen started cultivating earlier than that, so did Cai Renxiang, but effectively none of it really mattered until around 14 years old. The gap in raw time is similar but the realm differences have greatly narrowed because, in the grand scheme of things, a few months is nothing.

Right. It was four to five months of cultivation in the sense that it took Ling Qi around that long to hit where they were when the entered the sect, rather than the multiple years of pre-14 cultivating (a whole 8 in Cai Renxiang's case) that it took them to reach that point. As an aside, it's weird how either everyone important in this year was born within a few weeks of each other or a few months of post-14 cultivating before reaching the sect doesn't give that much of an advantage. Maybe we'll get an explanation, but an authorial oversight or conceit seems more likely.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Iirc, we started like three and a half months behind Meizhen and now we're closer to two and a half months. Something like that, at the very least. The gap is smaller not just in relative size but also in absolute size.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

SerSpook posted:

Ji Rong is a pretty interesting dude (well not him specifically, more the situation he is in). He's definitely a stereotypical xianxia protagonist, though of the sort from a very specific type. Things like Martial God Asura or Against the Gods is where his inspiration comes from. poo poo background but incredible talent, lots of enemies and in a normal story his raw talent and motivation to get strong would see him reach great heights and be able to crush everyone who doubted him. Classic wish fulfillment stuff.

Yes, it's interesting to see the subversion there relative to xianxia tropes. Of course, this is an Empire which has kill teams - I mean, very nice men and women at the Ministry of Integrity - to put down rogue cultivators and who will make very polite visits to ascertain your intentions if you are unaligned (i.e. did not buy into the empire's system / structure and vassalized somewhere), at a certain power level, and did not exhibit indications of becoming a hermit for the rest of your life.

Ji Rong made some bad choices when he didn't have the power to back it up yet.

quote:

If Ling Qi hadn't taken out that puppet, it's entirely possible she'd also be put in a formation like that and blamed for its actions, only to be heroically saved by Sun Liling. Just like what happened with Ji Rong.

I think it would have been troublesome, but Ling Qi, unlike Ji Rong, was polite with Cai Renxiang and had, at the time, made connections to Bai Meizhen and the Golden Fields group. She's connected in a way Ji Rong wasn't, which would make it much harder to unilaterally punish her, especially if she contested it and was backed up by her friends.

Ji Rong seemed to have seen the metaphorical social stigma tag on his character sheet and decided that meant he should just ignore social efforts entirely, instead of working to overcome it. (Ling Qi started at absurdly bad social skills, but was lucky enough to find some tutors willing to help her and politely ignore her ignorant mistakes until she shaped up among her friends.)

quote:

In conclusion, gently caress Sun Liling. Ji Rong should just go find a cave somewhere and cultivate.

Ji Rong quite likes Sun Liling though... ;)

Sampatrick posted:

Sun Liling is also probably deliberately slowing down Ji Rong's rate of growth. At his talent, he should be ahead of just about everybody except for maybe Meizhen but instead he's been stagnant for a long time. If it weren't for Lu Feng, he would have lost to Gan Guangli.

Ji Rong's issue is basically compounded misfortune - but this won't be an issue if he gets into Inner Sect given his newfound association with the Sun - which meant he frequently missed out on resources and actions. During the truce, he made no friends so he failed to get into Zhou's first class with Zhou's personal instruction and daily potions. After the initial council meeting, he was, of course, frozen for a month, which set him back significantly, and lost access to his Archive slip. When Thunderdome Redux kicked off and the Sun faction lost, he had to spend actions helping the faction and because they were out in the hinterlands of the mountain, he couldn't do sect missions to pick up tutoring or more arts and probably has limited access to cultivation sites. Plus, because he's caught up in that, he missed out on all the Elder's Trials on the Mountain (respectively taken by Bai Meizhen and Ling Qi, Han Jian and Han Fang, and Ling Qi and Gu Xiulan). Then he gets ambushed by Gan Guangli and Ling Qi's squad and he's stuck in prison for another two weeks.

But even with all these setbacks and even with a (potentially) rushed breakthrough, he's still well within the top 8 and arguably top 5 of the tournament even in a stacked year. Not counting the three monsters, he's one of only four full greens among the first years participating in the combat tournament, and Kang Zihao is, if not as monstrous as the ducal scions, is also being pumped full of drugs and was silver by the start of Elder Zhou's advanced class (week 5ish).

IMO, his performance is ridiculous and indicative of the sheer godstat that is high talent. Like if he had just kept his head down and not even considering lucky opportunities, my guess is he'd be challenging for the top slot in the tournament.

Sampatrick posted:

Green is much longer and composed of mini-breakthroughs. Ling Qi was actually quite weak as a mid-yellow and even late-yellow because she rushed base cultivation and then had to catch up her arts in the two months or so she spent to become a strong peak yellow. I suspect green will require you to max out arts to upgrade your domain and fill in the open slots before you can even consider advancing to the next stage. If so, the ducal scions will have to make sure to level appropriate arts concurrently and even hold off on advancing until they've gotten their foundation up to speed / set.

Also, yeah, both Sun Liling and Cai Renxiang had to act as commanders for their faction and run them. Meizhen is probably the only one that mono-focused cultivation. I also expect Sun Liling to have the best resources from her parent and tutoring because Bai Meizhen was not popular with her clan so had to achieve something to get more resources and the whole point of CS's test is to make CRX deal with limited resources but thrive anyway and meet whatever insane test the Duchess Cai dictated.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2018

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Regarding Ji Rong, given the fact that during his interlude he thought he was set up, it seems that someone was framing him and there are two probable explanations.

1) Yan Renshu - Because he has a history of preying on vulnerable disciples and Ji Rong lack of allies lands him in that category. Also, given that Yan Renshu is able to create puppets that can pass as other people (he did it with himself and Ling Qi) shows him as the dude with the means to actually frame Ji Rong. We also know that he buddied up to Sun Liling so to fight against Cai, my guess being that he didn't want any other powers threatening his extortion racket.

2) Sun Liling - We know that Sun Liling isn't an idiot and thought through her little rebellion, her targeting the commoner cultivators to peel away support from Cai so that when they throw down Cai Renxiang will be left bereft of allies. It succeeded with Ji Rong, but if Ling Qi was actually punished by Cai Renxiang then it's possible that during Sun's fight at the meeting Bai Meizhen would choose to become a third side and it was possible that the Golden Fields group would stay natural, which means that Sun's odds of success at the fight will rise up since her two biggest enemies are not cooperating with each other. It's also oddly coincidental that after Ling Qi foiled the frame job and Cai said that she will look into it Sun triggered the rebellion. Sun could have also hired Yan Renshu (since we know that Sun worked with him) so she does have indirect means to actually frame both Ling Qi and Ji Rong.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I just finished reading Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master, and it was pretty good: Girl sees a mysterious group of people appear and destroy our world in front of her very eyes, but she runs at them to grab the "world core" they've stolen, and ends up sucked into their world, where she turns into a Dungeon Master, with the goal to collect enough soul points to recreate Earth again. Lots of murdering invading adventurers and random villagers who stumble upon her dungeon.

Kind of reminded me of Kumoko mixed with Overlord's 7th volume, but, uh, more genocidal. The author managed to avoid a lot of tired clichés, mostly because the protagonist is a girl, I guess. It does lose steam a bit in the final third, yet still tied up nicely in the end, so I'm pleased enough. Complete at roughly 1300 pages in Japanese, but I'm not sure if anyone's been translating it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isekai transporter updated last week.

That's the manga about the guy who drives the isekai truck.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 22, 2018

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

darkgray posted:

I just finished reading Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master, and it was pretty good: Girl sees a mysterious group of people appear and destroy our world in front of her very eyes, but she runs at them to grab the "world core" they've stolen, and ends up sucked into their world, where she turns into a Dungeon Master, with the goal to collect enough soul points to recreate Earth again. Lots of murdering invading adventurers and random villagers who stumble upon her dungeon.
That sounds great. And makes me sad that I still haven't managed to improve my japanese.

Does anybody know a learner friendly machine translation system?
Ideally I would like something that displays the original text normally, but shows the translation of a sentence next to it, under it, or even if I click on it.
Sort of like Rikaichan, but for whole sentences. I do know something like this used to exist for adding furigana.
I do have a google translate addon. But it replaces the original with the translated sentence, needs a menu to do so, and somehow has no undo option so that I have to reload the page to check the original.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

That sounds great. And makes me sad that I still haven't managed to improve my japanese.

Ideally I would like something that displays the original text normally, but shows the translation of a sentence next to it, under it, or even if I click on it.
Sort of like Rikaichan, but for whole sentences. I do know something like this used to exist for adding furigana.
I do have a google translate addon. But it replaces the original with the translated sentence, needs a menu to do so, and somehow has no undo option so that I have to reload the page to check the original.

Automatic translation of entire Japanese sentences to English is very unreliable, in my experience. If you know the basics of how grammar works you can usually put together sentences with the help of rikaichan for translation individual words, though.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

tonberrytoby posted:

Everything I've heard says you're better off with no translation than machine translation if you actually want to learn. If you feel like you're only half understanding something don't worry, that will improve as you see more similar sentences in different contexts. Maybe make a note of it and come back to reread it if the story stops making sense. If you're still completely lost reading something in context after looking up all the words and breaking down the sentence you're probably reading something too advanced.

If you're set on it though there are programs that can translate text on the clipboard. Just look up a guide on text hooking and translating Japanese games and skip the text hooking part. It won't be as simple as mousing over but you'll only need to highlight and copy sentences to translate them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
recently i've been reading super gene, which is just a big fat smelly mess. even the initial description of the setting contradicted itself repeatedly, and it is dumb as hell and makes no sense which i am totally into. the mc finds the usual macguffins, except he barely needs them because he is instantly the best in the universe at anything he tries for no particular reason. for that matter, he mostly tries really stupid variations on rock paper scissors which is presented as being terribly impressive. his girlfriend only started going out with him because she lost a bet, and this is portrayed as romantic somehow? it dodges the usual chinese wn sci fi trope of godawful racism by having only chinese people exist, also for no particular reason. the mc is recruited to an elite paramilitary squad, but the sole purpose of that squad is to babysit wealthy heirs and this is supposed to be a worthwhile and fulfilling duty.

i got to a part where the mc buys (yet another) super secret ancient martial art from some guy, and this one's sole purpose is to strengthen kidneys. except, the author has no idea what kidneys do. he thinks they are related to stamina and virility, and i'm not sure he realizes women also have kidneys. it's friggin' hilarious.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i got to a part where the mc buys (yet another) super secret ancient martial art from some guy, and this one's sole purpose is to strengthen kidneys. except, the author has no idea what kidneys do. he thinks they are related to stamina and virility, and i'm not sure he realizes women also have kidneys. it's friggin' hilarious.

Well obviously they are related to stamina. If I have a sudden kidney failure, I'm going to run out of stamina really fast.

Sounds like a glorious trainwreck.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he is instantly the best in the universe at anything he tries for no particular reason

This is everything I've been checking out recently, except also every single character screaming about how important they are and how powerful their backing is directly into every other character's face, without pause, every chapter, forever. :sigh:

Anyone discovered anything good recently? I'm dying here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, i mostly read terrible garbage no one should ever read.

i don't think webnovels are the best medium if you want to read something good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sometimes you get terrible garbage that's fun to read! I'm sure that used to be a thing that happened and I didn't hallucinate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Am I the only one here reading Way of Choices? I would think for all the complaints in this thread, a story like this would be mentioned more often.