Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the people i've seen refer to rekkr as kind of like a weird hybrid between doom and a build engine game with no hitscan enemies were definitely spot-on. all the maps have a really charming 'realistic' layout mixed with just a bit of abstract geometry to make it more level-like to run around.

e: the museum level in episode 2 really is goddamn genius

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I would like Ion Maiden to be out right now instead of next year. Thanks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What should happen is that Amid Evil fully releases, and then a few months later DUSK releases, and THEN a few months later Ion Maiden releases, and THEN that System Shock remaster releases a few months after that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Simon The Digger posted:

Here you go. It's still early but it looks pretty good.

Want to say thank you again this doubled my fun

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm on the final mission of Deus Ex after binging hard on it tonight because I was frustrated about having never finished it. I'm experiencing significant burnout so I'm not exploring that much but like, I'm right at the end what the hell else could I find.

Game good. I'm about to destroy the internet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I would like Ion Maiden to be out right now instead of next year. Thanks.

Same but I'm also somewhat relieved it's coming out in 2019 because the fall release schedule is bananas.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hey anyone know some easy Q3 defrag maps? Looking for stuff like these two Reflex maps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-hkQyx4Rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_EnYnjk45Y&t=539s

either just really easy breezy or having multiple routes where the problem is refining to get the fastest speed rather than passing speedchecks/technical rocket/double jumping poo poo etc. Q3 maps I've found so far just have a bunch of poo poo I'm too bad to do yet and I'm not really interested in grinding it out right now, I just wanna feel good and chill flying around colorful void maps. The type I'm looking for seems really common in Reflex steam workshop but Reflex cooks my laptop to the point it's uncomfortable right now so trying to switch over to Defrag.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jblade posted:

Kingpin also looked amazing but played like poo poo

Aside from the whole "Attack of the Motherfuckin' Brown Motherfuckers From Motherfuckin' Brown Town". Thought Q1 and Q2 were bad? Kingpin is a whole new level of browny brown brown.

I played through the demo so many times and loved it, just the right amount of grime and grit and nasty environments. I love the retrofuture thing it has going on, almost a Full Throttle vibe.

The full version just doubles down on brown, and has way too many way too powerful hitscan enemies.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of brown FPSes...

https://twitter.com/thequakeawards/status/1020663347656634368

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Brovstin posted:

There's a Blood Discord?

https://discord.gg/aHBf4e

There you go.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Some fun choices there. I guess I need to play those ORL maps now!

One thing that really surprised me is that Forgotten Sepulcher isn't shortlisted for best visuals. It's the world-dominating screenshot-generator map from last year. I wonder if they just didn't want to take up too many nomination slots from one map (although making bigger shortlists would have helped there).

e: Also, I'll mention a few maps I nominated that didn't make the cut. Because I think they should have. :-)

"Best gameplay" is kind of difficult to pin down. I nominated a couple of maps that I thought innovated in really fun ways. However I also nominated Wenl Mine (megad2lvl3) for just excellent old-school combat setups and exploration/routefinding.

I also put Sacrifice Unto Sebek (retrojam6_mukor) in a couple of categories. I don't think it's the *best* map released last year in terms of either visuals or gameplay, but it is quite good at both. Actually retrojam6 in general was a badass release, which might have gotten a little overlooked from being released in January.

In the "oddball maps", I nominated Ruins of the Elder God (jam9_shotro). Cool idea (and good execution) that involves going back and forth through a map where the available areas and routes change in each pass. I know there's a lot of split opinions about this one, but it pushed the envelope.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man I was just trying to play doom the way id did... it had been so long since I played doom 1 I had forgotten the the gameplay is a little.... plain without the super shotgun and the extra monsters

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Randomly reading stuff on the Doom wiki about the console versions and exclusive maps for them, come up to the last map of the PS1 port, watch the linked video and it hits me: I've never touched a console port of Doom yet I have played this exact map before. Not surprising, honestly, there's a lot of Doom maps based on other maps in that manner.

The problem is now that I know I've played a version of that map before, I'm already driving myself crazy trying and failing to remember where I did.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

:eyepop:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

Randomly reading stuff on the Doom wiki about the console versions and exclusive maps for them, come up to the last map of the PS1 port, watch the linked video and it hits me: I've never touched a console port of Doom yet I have played this exact map before. Not surprising, honestly, there's a lot of Doom maps based on other maps in that manner.

The problem is now that I know I've played a version of that map before, I'm already driving myself crazy trying and failing to remember where I did.

It’s been converted to PC a couple times, as a stand-alone and in the lost levels expansion to the Doom64 conversion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Other than Doom 2016, and the other noted retro inspired games, single-player FPS games have not been that great in recent years. I'm throwing down the gauntlet! We need more stuff like No One Lives Forever, F.E.A.R., what have you, I'm talking early to mid 2000s and whatnot, I'm saying it. Level design with a lot of charm and attention given to it, cool campaigns, fuckin' rad poo poo.

I know I'm a bit out of line here, no offense intended if you were on the dev team for Killzone Shadowfall (you better believe I returned that), and don't tell me wandering around the FarCry 4 map collecting bear asses is an FPS game. I know it is, but it ain't right. It's wrong. It ain't what this genre was founded on, the principles of cool level design and excellent action, it's a far cry from it quite frankly. We gotta wake up these devs! We gotta start an FPS revolution in the streets!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Heavy Metal posted:

Other than Doom 2016, and the other noted retro inspired games, single-player FPS games have not been that great in recent years. I'm throwing down the gauntlet! We need more stuff like No One Lives Forever, F.E.A.R., what have you, I'm talking early to mid 2000s and whatnot, I'm saying it. Level design with a lot of charm and attention given to it, cool campaigns, fuckin' rad poo poo.

I know I'm a bit out of line here, no offense intended if you were on the dev team for Killzone Shadowfall (you better believe I returned that), and don't tell me wandering around the FarCry 4 map collecting bear asses is an FPS game. I know it is, but it ain't right. It's wrong. It ain't what this genre was founded on, the principles of cool level design and excellent action, it's a far cry from it quite frankly. We gotta wake up these devs! We gotta start an FPS revolution in the streets!

I'm pretty interested in the next Metro game. Also, the recent Wolfenstein games are pretty fun to run through.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can keep those games and still start a revolution! I'm thinking we occupy the street outside Ubisoft or some other big publisher, and let them know that some guy wants them to make games kinda like Monolith made for a bit 15-20 years ago. That would be good. I'd put it in google maps and do it myself, but I gather that it's in France, so we need some French goons to get this going. I'll add to the indiegoogo page.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I discovered Brutal Doom not too long ago and have had a grand time the last some weeks playing through Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Evilution and Plutonia as well as Hell on Earth, the megaWAD created for Brutal Doom. I know that there is a link to Doomworld in the OP, but there are so many choices here that I'm not sure what I would enjoy. I started to play Plutonia 2, but I'm about 2/3 through it and probably not going to finish it as I'm finding it more difficult than fun. Could anyone suggest from personal experience any large (roughly the length of one of the "official" games) WADs truer to the original games and not frustratingly difficult?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JustJeff88 posted:

I discovered Brutal Doom not too long ago and have had a grand time the last some weeks playing through Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Evilution and Plutonia as well as Hell on Earth, the megaWAD created for Brutal Doom. I know that there is a link to Doomworld in the OP, but there are so many choices here that I'm not sure what I would enjoy. I started to play Plutonia 2, but I'm about 2/3 through it and probably not going to finish it as I'm finding it more difficult than fun. Could anyone suggest from personal experience any large (roughly the length of one of the "official" games) WADs truer to the original games and not frustratingly difficult?

Memento Mori, some Scythe 2, Vanguard, and I'm a big fan of Suspended in Dusk for Ultimate Doom, though a short one. The later maps in a lot of these popular ones (Scythe 2 and Vanguard for example) will be slaughter, but worth checking out the earlier maps either way. And in general, gameplay balance is a crapshoot with mods like BD.

And if you're curious to try the Vanilla gameplay, SmoothDoom is good stuff. I find these maps are best with the Vanilla gameplay myself.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 23, 2018

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Speaking of which, does anybody have any good gameplay mod recommendations to use alongside Ancient Aliens?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Final Doomer w/ the Ancient Aliens loadout

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

Mister No posted:

Played AA with Final Doomer and I highly recommend it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

JustJeff88 posted:

Doom the Way id Did. It feels like the originals and is very mod friendly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Final Doomer basically hasn't left my load list since I started with it, it's fantastic. I just wish there was more on the horizon, it sounds like it's been put on the back-burner.

Also, I watched WhamNinjaMolehill play AA with LegenDoom and it worked pretty well. Of course, there's been a big LegenDoom update since but it should still, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Quake injector just doesn't seem to work for me at all. Nothing I do makes it work. Does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong, or any alternative programs?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Free Chicken posted:

Played AA with Final Doomer and I highly recommend it.

Mister No posted:

Okay, this is pretty neat in what it does and doesn't do. It doesn't drastically change the formula but instead just provides aesthetically fitting weapons that are tweaked from the original weapons to, well, address one characteristic of Skillsaw maps: the tidal waves of enemies that can appear and the very long combat encounters that have very little breathing room. But the weapons are not beefed up to completely minimize this aspect of the map designs, they're instead made to increase the tempo of the fights juuuust a tad, just enough to prevent potential exhaustion after the occasional grueling moment.

I see that he also made a loadout for Return to Saturn X, so I guess I'll go check that wad out again as well.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 23, 2018

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Zaphod42 posted:

Quake injector just doesn't seem to work for me at all. Nothing I do makes it work. Does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong, or any alternative programs?

What does "not work" mean in this case? What does it do when you try to run it?

If you just want a launcher frontend (rather than also a browser/downloader) you can try Simple Quake Launcher 2.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
The BTSX loadout is probably the weirdest of all of them. The chainsaw replacement, iirc, gives you a damage shield in exchange for health + modifies all the weapons in some fashion, I think. Especially neat, because of how quickly you can grab it in the BTSX maps.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It makes all your weapons overpowered (some more than others) but turns off if you lose more than 25% of the health you had when you activated it.

The BTSX loadout is neat in that you don't have a proper super shotgun (It's an incredibly powerful basically-melee weapon instead) and the rocket launcher has no friendly fire so it changes how you look at weapons; the regular shotgun in particular gets a lot more action. The plasma weapons are straight up OP so that's also fun. The BFG replacement can kill multiple cyberdemons with a single shot no problem and the plasma rifle minces everything you look at. The only downside is that they devour ammo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
SWAT 4 is 50% off (£4) at GOG right now, includes the expansion as well!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Heavy Metal posted:

I know I'm a bit out of line here, no offense intended if you were on the dev team for Killzone Shadowfall

Never played this but wanted to. What was wrong with it?

(also keeping on topic) CeeJay's Duke it out in Doom for the 3DGE sourceport is fun. It's also got a couple Duke lines that I haven't heard before, and I thought I heard 'em all. Being able to switch night vision on whenever I want, especially in Hellbounds maps, is just delicious.

Yeah I like Hellbound. What about it?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished Deus Ex and changed my mind and decided to be the cyber dictator of Earth instead. After i finished I decided I hadn't had enough Deus Ex so I decided to play The Nameless Mod. This thing is an adorable bit of 2000s forum community culture and I love it. I enjoy that they actually had some dude record like 10 minutes of fully voice-acted, detailed explanations of Deus Ex lore in there if you really wanted to go talk to that NPC at length and have him go on and on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was playing with the idea of replacing hitscan projectiles with fast but dodgeable projectiles and it led me to doing ill-advised things with particles.

Personally I don't think 65535 particles is enough

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That top example is actually really cool. I'd try to matrix dodge that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wow, when the gently caress did GOG get SWAT

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wow, when the gently caress did GOG get SWAT

January 24, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does SWAT hold up? I've never gotten to play it before but it seems cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RichterIX posted:

Does SWAT hold up? I've never gotten to play it before but it seems cool.

The core fundamentals are great; the execution of the details leaves something to be desired, even for a game that age. Its biggest problem is that it is quite inconsistent in its game mechanics, and it seems to be purposefully imbalanced to be much harder than it needs to be (and it's already pretty hard).

There are mods to make it a bit more sensible, such as no longer assuming that a wooden wedge is as cumbersome to haul around as a shotgun, or that said shotguns actually put a lot of very fast-moving led pellets into the air, rather than fart out packing peanuts.

Still, some things — notably AI behaviour — is still what it always was, for better or worse (better: your AI partners can murder people freely and without penalty, but your AI partners also like to sprint right into a room like ducks in a row and not react to the guy who is mowing them down like… well… ducks in a row). But that's more a case of decades-old-game-jank, and has its own weird charm.