Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Oh wait I actually just remembered that post-9/11 US policy directly quoted 24 so hahahahhaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So you are denying that media influences perceptions of the world?

Yeah that's probably a safe assumption of my opinions based on what I've said.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i identify as a harry potter goblin irl

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I an kin to my Kvothe headmate

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never bought into the cliche that "any reading is good as long as its reading".

Books are not magical and inherently better than any form of media. A book only has as much value as a person's willingness to critically engage with it.

TV consumption has been presented as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s while reading has been shown to decrease stress levels and ward off cognitive decline.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

TV consumption has been presented as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s while reading has been shown to decrease stress levels and ward off cognitive decline.

Is that a causative or correlative effect? I already know the answer to this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's probably correlative. Hard to point to any distinct causitive for Alzheimers when there's so many other variables that could interfere with the study.

But don't worry, according to this study you can ward off that cognitive decline by drinking heavily!
https://globalnews.ca/news/3648508/moderate-to-heavy-drinking-linked-to-lower-risk-of-dementia-study/

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Has there been like, any news on Kingkiller Chronicles at all. The books I mean. Not the series/movies that might not ever happen and will probably turn out like the attempt at the live-action Noir Starz series.

Except in this case that might be an improvement.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The latest news we have is that the book should be out in Spring 2010.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lies. I won't believe the book will be finished until I hold it in my cold, dead hands.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tamba posted:

The latest news we have is that the book should be out in Spring 2010.

Well that's just right around the corner.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's us. We're the book.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I just realized that Kingkiller 3 has been in development hell longer than Star Citizen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pfft, Star Citizen isn't gonna even come close to the inventory system that Rothfuss has laid out in his book series.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I wonder how many talents it would be to buy a jpeg of a spaceship.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I just realized that Kingkiller 3 has been in development hell longer than Star Citizen.

In development? Sure.

In active development? There's no chance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I wonder how many talents it would be to buy a jpeg of a spaceship.

What's a Fela gotta do ta geta spaceship 'round here?! I Denna wanna be hangin' about all night!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am always impressed by fantasy authors ability to take so long to write badly

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look, Rome wasn't worldbuilt in a day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And yet, there's still so much of it.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He has wrote a thousand dreadful pages, but nothing grieves him so heartily indeeed, than he cannot write ten thousand more.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally finished The Kingkiller Chronicle. Great book. One nitpick though: the rape teens are described as 16 or 17, by which point the penis has easily reached its full size. Yet their eight year old victim's anus is likely to be proportionately small to the rest of his body, and due to the relatively small number of shits it has taken, not as tired and lax as an older anus. Since we can assume that lubricant would be prohibitively expensive in the deprived slums of Riverside, it's unlikely that after the teens, wearing hard and hungry smiles, ripped away the sobbing boy's clothes to show his pale bare skin, they would have been able to penetrate his rear end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Very edgy.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It was a fairly edgy scene, yes, and I give Rothfuss credit for that. But while the rest of the book was believable, that was so improbable it took me out of the story. You can make the excuse that it's fantasy, so anything can happen, but the point is no matter how magical the setting, your characters still need to be believably human, including their young anuses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:hmmyes:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A Major Fucker posted:

It was a fairly edgy scene, yes, and I give Rothfuss credit for that. But while the rest of the book was believable, that was so improbable it took me out of the story. You can make the excuse that it's fantasy, so anything can happen, but the point is no matter how magical the setting, your characters still need to be believably human, including their young anuses.

I can't find any faults with your reasoning.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
If there are any Cincinnatigoons in the thread, Rothfuss will be at Joseph-Beth Cincinnati tonight starting at 7. Go and ask him about Book 3.

https://www.facebook.com/events/335682280297013/

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

No need, my friend went to a signing event and apparently Rothfuss needs therapy from Trump.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I didn't know Trump was a licensed therapist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I didn't know Trump was a licensed therapist.

He's an analyst and a therapist.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

No need, my friend went to a signing event and apparently Rothfuss needs therapy from Trump.

Wut?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm guessing he used the entire time to bitch about Trump and America's direction instead of discussing anything to do with his books.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I get why people are obsessed with Trump but like...that horse has left the barn. America being really really stupid shouldn’t be that big a shock at the end of the day.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's not a shock, it's just a convenient excuse that's honestly not even that good of an excuse. If he'd actually written the books when he claimed he did, they'd have been out long before Trump was even president.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Haha oh right the book’s not out because he’s too busy battling Trump.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's actually really insulting. There are a lot of people whose lives are being adversely affected by Trump's policies. So for him to use it as an excuse for why his third rate fantasy novella that was supposedly written years ago isn't done is... gently caress Rothfuss.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He posted a blog as soon as Trump was elected that him being president put him in a headspace where he couldn't write - I wouldn't expect any progress the next 2-6 years.

Doesn't really explain all the years of inactivity prior to Trump though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
the truth is that Rothfuss is a hack looking for any excuse not to be productive

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

HIJK posted:

the truth is that Rothfuss is a hack looking for any excuse not to be productive

Speaking of which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Chuck Tingle is a national treasure.