Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Decline.

Plausable deniability sounds like a good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ratoslov posted:

I'm thinking this he's just a typical Raven. Orlanthi have tricksters because having someone that ties their balls to a goat is useful. We have Ravens because having a psycho is useful.

One of the two Raven rituals is to steal stuff from another clan.

I've actually never used it, because the Stealth blessing lets all your dudes go steal stuff MULTIPLE times per year.

Ravens are also reasonably powerful shamans, just not as good generalists as your regular shamans.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 22, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Fight alone. Win alone.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Let's offer to help so that nobody suspects us of working with the bandits and also so we can get a sense of how good they are at bandit-fighting, in case we want to fight them ourselves later.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, gee, clan Lookin' For A Handout was annoyed that we feasted rather than give them a bunch of Cows. It's like we should have waited for them to come to us or something.

Be glory hogs and murder the poo poo out of some bandits. They're not even people, lol.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Let's help them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who gets invited to a feast and then spends the entire feast sitting on the sidelines going 'Mmmmm, well, this isn't a gift of cows so I'm not going to bother drinking or having a good time.'

Those guys are total jerks. We should raid the hell out of them later for being losers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Although they attended your feast, the Tricorns never truly joined the revelry. You heard some of them say that a gift of cows would have been better.

Raid them. Raid them until they have no cows. Ungrateful little nobodies.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let's help these dudes out. Nobody likes a glory hog, plus we'll be less likely to get wounded maybe.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I’ve never seen a feast end without the other clan bitching about not getting cows though I don’t usually blow magic on harmony or diplomacy. Maybe there’s a better outcome I’ve never rolled well enough to see?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Man, gently caress those Tricorn dweebs. They're almost as bad as Wheels.

Anyways, Hunt bandits alone! We're reasonably good at fighting now, no need to share the glory and spoils.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nah, let's team up to fight the bandits!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Seriously people, if we get our asses kicked we'll look like fools, and we are not exactly a military powerhouse. Hunt bandits together!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Help them hunt the bandits

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
You have come to us, and now we will decline.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
This has no relevance to the game, but I think Zardoz is glorantha canon, according to the Guide.

"Jankley Bore: A range of rocky hills in the
Kingdom of Ignorance, this is the legendary home
of the defunct god Sun Storm. The ghost of Sun
Storm’s third eye reportedly still wanders here after
dark. Particularly feared are the colossal stone heads
that fly across the countryside worshiped by a violent
Death cult called the Life Takers."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Of course that sort of thing is from the kingdom of Ignorance, that place is full of bullshit like that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wrestlepig posted:

Of course that sort of thing is from the kingdom of Ignorance, that place is full of bullshit like that.

I will not hear a word against even more evil Aztec empire that is also ruled by Evil Chinese mandarin trying to get the sun high on opium!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I will not hear a word against even more evil Aztec empire that is also ruled by Evil Chinese mandarin trying to get the sun high on opium!

Hey now, the aztec empire wasn't ev- oh, wait, no, I'm thinking of the Mayans.

The aztecs were right bastards.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Night10194 posted:

Who gets invited to a feast and then spends the entire feast sitting on the sidelines going 'Mmmmm, well, this isn't a gift of cows so I'm not going to bother drinking or having a good time.'

Those guys are total jerks. We should raid the hell out of them later for being losers.

Yes raiding the clan who are our friends and are renowned for their poverty sounds like a great idea.

For the current vote Help them I kind of doubt we even have enough swords to do it ourselves. Our swords situation is really dire and we need to recruit some more.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Don't get me wrong, the kingdom of Ignorance kicks rear end, it's the good sort of bullshit

quote:

Koromondol: A wind-blown coast extending north from the Kingdom of Ignorance into the lands of legend. Trolls exiled in the Second Age fled here, and some remain, though most moved even further northward. The human inhabitants harvest prawns and watercress. The Creature Whose Initials Are Y.B.B. lives on this coast, as does the Nimble Hen, with its single twisted leg. Jack O’Bears often gather on the coast early in the year for an unknown purpose.

quote:

Karaköse: The City of the Dead, Karaköse was a rich and powerful city that died in the Great Darkness. It is now a part of the Underworld, inhabited by ghosts and demons. Those who enter its gates pass into the Underworld and are rarely seen again. Huan To often gather here and some claim that Karaköse is their home city

quote:

Gartog (small city): The City of Drums, the drums of Gartog beat night and day, and there are regular sacrifices of human beings to the Black Sun here.
The locals claim that if they ever cease to beat their drums or fail to regularly offer human sacrifices, silence or hunger will awaken the Old Gods (which they call Ma-Yood-SuShai), who will destroy the world. Troll blood sports are still played by the human population in the walled ballcourt of Gartog.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 23, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wrestlepig posted:

Don't get me wrong, the kingdom of Ignorance kicks rear end, it's the good sort of bullshit

Well now I'm sold.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As promised, here's my post on how combat works in this game. This is about half stuff that's explicitly said in the manual or the Six Ages website, and about half supposition from playing a lot of this game. If you're playing yourself and are interested in a guide on how to win, rather than just how combat works, I wrote one of those already in the non-LP Six Ages thread. Some of this stuff is the same as it was in King of Dragon Pass and some of it is different. My screenshots will look different from GreyjoyBastard's, because I'm playing on iPhone, not iPad.

First off, you need to consider when to raid. During Sea Season you need all your farmers planting, so doing a full raid will give you crop stress. Similarly, during Earth Season your farmers are busy with the harvest. During Dark Season you're mostly snowed in. This leaves Fire Season and Storm Season as the seasons to raid (though Storm Season will sometimes have inclement weather force you back it's pretty rare). Most human clans will raid you during those two seasons as well, though some non-humans have different behaviors--Trolls like to raid during dark season, for instance.

Here's the War screen. It shows what fortifications you have built. Fortifications help when you're raided, of course. (Full) Raids and Herd Raids are the two ways you attack your neighbors. In a Herd Raid, you send a few soldiers (usually no more than 20) and try to spirit off a few dozen cattle without being noticed. There's three outcomes to Herd Raids--everything goes well, the enemy spots you and you have to turn back, or a small enemy force spots you on your way back and you turn and fight. In that latter case, it's just like a full battle but with fewer combatants on each side.

This is the screen you get if you try to perform a full raid. You select a target to raid, how many soldiers to send, and whether to call for help. You can call for help from clans that owe you a favor (consuming the favor I think) o with whom you have a formal alliance. They'll usually send about a dozen Swords and a dozen Bows but it can vary pretty wildly.

The more soldiers you send (presumably your helper's troops count for this as well), the more likely the enemy is to spot you early. If they spot you early you have to fight most of their army; if they don't, you only fight about half their army, or less. In this case Swords count as one person for army size despite fighting better than Bows. If you don't leave enough defenders behind your neighbors will notice and Herd Raid you into oblivion while you're gone.

This time, I got lucky and the enemy didn't spot me until it was too late. A Sword fights with the strength of 5 Bows, so my effective army size is 20*5+66=166 (plus what my helpers sent) compared to the enemy's 5*5+54=79. Unfortunately, this doesn't matter that much. The golden rule of Six Ages combat is: warleader skill matters more than numbers. Your warleader is whichever circle member is best at combat, with a small bonus for having good leadership and I think a small bonus for worshiping one of the war gods, Elmal or Osara. You need to outnumber the enemy 3-to-1 or so to start making up for having a worse warleader, and I only outnumber them 2-to-1.

The magic slider here is a way to spend clan magic to boost this one combat. Spending magic on war at sacred time is, I think, equivalent to spending that amount of magic in every battle that year. Magic seems to just make everything you do go a little bit better. The three options at the bottom are your warleader's goals this combat. If we were defending, "Plunder" would be replaced with "Drive them off". If defending, the survival strategy receives a boost for the fortifications you have. I usually just choose plunder/drive them off.

These are the long distance options in battle. You can see the little representations of the armies on the bottom haven't reached each other yet. This section of combat is a bit like rock-paper-scissors. The long-distance options (ritual/skirmish) have plenty of time if the enemy does something slow (advance/maneuver) but might be interrupted by a charge. Advancing has a very high chance to start you in a slightly favorable position and tends to usually beat charge or maneuver. Maneuver succeeds less often but puts you in a much more favorable starting position if it works--and if the enemy skirmishes or performs a ritual, you have plenty of time to maneuver.

Parley is outside the normal cycle of options--if either side picks it a parley happens, which the other side can accept or reject. During a parley you can either try to taunt the enemy (hopefully improving your morale at their expense), demand tribute to call off the attack, or offer tribute in exchange for the enemy going home. Unless tribute is accepted, after the parley you go back to the long-range options in the screenshot.

Skirmishing orders your soldiers to fire their bows at the enemy. You usually only have enough arrows for one or two volleys.

Holding troops in reserve reduces your army size by a bit but gives you a very powerful ability during melee combat, when you release your fresh troops all at once. I don't choose it very often but I believe it's a long-range action like skirmish and ritual.

I chose to conduct a ritual. These are the three rituals most players will have access to, but there's a fourth one that shows up if Rams are your ancestral enemy and you're fighting against Rams.

For these rituals to make sense, you need to understand how you win a combat. The rarest way to win is for the enemy to retreat. The second rarest is to reduce the enemy to zero (or nearly zero) soldiers. The third, and most common, is to drive the enemy from the field. The progress towards this victory condition is shown by the little armies in the bottom of the screen. I think Battle Glow means every action you perform during the melee portion of the battle makes the enemy a little bit closer to being driven off than they would be otherwise.

It's not clear to me what Firehoof does. I think it inflates your numbers by having your horses count as soldiers. Presumably it's a bit weaker than one horse = one soldier but it's unclear.

Strongbow makes the skirmish option much better. This is a bit high risk high reward--it's pretty likely the enemy will choose charge/advance/maneuver and end the long range portion of combat before you have a chance to do a ritual and skirmish, but Strongbow makes skirmishing very very good.

You can only perform these rituals if you spent magic on war during sacred time, or spent magic during the battle.

Every step of combat, the game will describe how the last round went. In this case, the enemy chose to maneuver, giving me plenty of time to perform my ritual. However, my ritual let them maneuver unimpeded so they're starting the melee portion of combat with an advantage--shown in the bottom of the screen by the fact that the little armies are closer to my end than their end.

There's a bunch of options in melee combat. Here's what the manual has to say about them:

"Bonus" is how likely you are to win that round of combat. "Victory" is how much you push the little armies on the bottom, given that you win that round. "Ferocity" is a modifier on how many casualties you inflict. "Risk" is a modifier on how many casualties you receive.

In this case I decide to ignore all those options and choose to seize the opportunity for slaughter. This is an action taken by a single noble, rather than your army as a whole like most choices are. There's a few variants on it, like "seize an opportunity for plunder", "decide fate of disabled combatants", and "let <noble with heroic combat> have his/her day".

I don't really hate this enemy--I'm more interested in the plunder than in killing them. So I decide to choose the last option and focus on winning the battle.

It pays off as you can see--the little armies have been pushed back a bit. I got a random noble event here. I check her stats to see what will be best for her. In this case she's not really great at anything relevant so I don't have anything pushing me one way or another. I chose the first option. I don't have a screenshot but I got an inconclusive result and the little armies didn't move.

From here I decided to try to turn my 2-to-1 numerical advantage into a 3-to-1 advantage by inflicting some casualties, and chose to fight fiercely. It went extremely well, as you can see. I'm not really sure why I suddenly have a bunch more allies in this screenshot. Maybe I accidentally mashed through an event where unexpected allies show up, and it would explain why the battle went so unexpectedly well.

The little note at the top about it being a tough battle means that my warleader thought that the enemy warleader was better--never a good sign, but as always RNG carries the day and things went lucky for me.

After fighting fiercely a few more times, the battle is over in my favor. I think I actually got two victory conditions on the same round here--the text is acting like I won by driving them from the field, but they're also down to zero uninjured troops, which also gives you the win.

And to the victor go the spoils.

A few more random notes that didn't really go with any of the screenshots before I finish up. Relative troop size seems to be a strong modifier on casualties but a weak modifier on driving the enemy off. So large armies take fewer injuries and inflict more in the enemy, but that's most of the benefit until you outnumber them 3-to-1 or so.

Pretty much every single thing I mentioned here has some blessing, spirit, or treasure that effects it. If you have magic that makes you better at specific aspects of combat, you should probably take advantage of it.

e: I talked a bit with David Dunham (head designer of this game) and he says that outnumbering the enemy matters more than I made it out to seem. The advice saying that warleader skills matters more than numbers applies when the armies are roughly equal--like, if you have 20 more troops than the enemy, that's no cause to celebrate. But outnumbering them 2-to-1 is.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 23, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wrestlepig posted:

Are these supposed to be references to something or another?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Xander77 posted:

Well, the middle one is Carcosa, and the last is pretty much straight-up Aztec. I couldn't say about the stuff in the first one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huan To also sounds like the Malay word 'hantu', which means 'ghost'.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Xander77 posted:

nweismuller posted:

Well, the middle one is Carcosa, and the last is pretty much straight-up Aztec. I couldn't say about the stuff in the first one.

The twisted hen seems to be gloranthan, but the YBB creature is this: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/courtship-yonghy-bonghy-bo

As is, well, pretty much the entirety of the rest of that area.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 23, 2018

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I’ve been driven off the field by an army in the same turn that I killed or injured the last of their remaining troops, in a strange yet enlightening example of how little numbers matter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nanomashoes posted:

I’ve been driven off the field by an army in the same turn that I killed or injured the last of their remaining troops, in a strange yet enlightening example of how little numbers matter.

Those guys just wanted it more.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That last terrifying bastard who is already dead but refuses to stop fighting until there's no enemies left to fight.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
When other tribe can freely steal my cow on my turn for bringing most of the army, and I can’t do the same.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nyaa posted:

When other tribe can freely steal my cow on my turn for bringing most of the army, and I can’t do the same.

I mean you can herd raid whenever you want and unless you bring too many soldiers it usually works

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fight Together is currently winning by 1 vote over Fight Alone.

I want to do a bigger "what does the gooncircle want to prioritize in the immediate future" vote again and finally do a walkthrough of the tabs and set up dynamic information in the OP but don't have a big enough block of time right this moment, so voting's still open until later this afternoon-evening.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I already voted but:

1. We have 0 votes to fight together from the clan ring, and our warleader specifically believes that that fighting together will end in failure.

2. We're fighting bandits. Referring to our warleader's opinion once again, this isn't a battle that is likely to result in them fighting to the bitter end and wiping out our warriors. The biggest concern is surprising them and preventing them from running away.

3. Fighting on our own means more glory and loot for us.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, that's convincing

Fight Alone

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

3. Fighting on our own means more glory and loot for us.

Offer to hunt them on your own.

your tales of grandeur have won me over, plus it's not like a group of thugs sleeping out in the woods could really beat us

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Offer to hunt them on your own.

your tales of grandeur have won me over, plus it's not like a group of thugs sleeping out in the woods could really beat us

This is not always true in Glorantha. A group of bandits who've survived for a while might have a quality shaman or two in their number, and that's real firepower.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I talked a bit with David Dunham (head designer of this game) and he says that outnumbering the enemy matters more than I made it out to seem. The advice saying that warleader skills matters more than numbers applies when the armies are roughly equal--like, if you have 20 more troops than the enemy, that's no cause to celebrate. But outnumbering them 2-to-1 is.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

This is not always true in Glorantha. A group of bandits who've survived for a while might have a quality shaman or two in their number, and that's real firepower.

Thanks, I know that but I was rp'ing. I'll try and make it more obvy next time. Anyway, this universe / game setting will sucker punch you given a moments chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

cheetah7071 posted:

I talked a bit with David Dunham (head designer of this game) and he says that outnumbering the enemy matters more than I made it out to seem. The advice saying that warleader skills matters more than numbers applies when the armies are roughly equal--like, if you have 20 more troops than the enemy, that's no cause to celebrate. But outnumbering them 2-to-1 is.

You can totally overwhelm that advantage with a good enough warleader though. My last couple of runs I’ve won basically every fight once I’ve gotten a heroic combat / renowned leadership character even while outnumbered and those stats are not that hard to achieve once you know how.