Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Illiad is basically just one chapter in the middle of the Trojan War and most everything else we know about it is inference from other sources and quite possibly fan fiction meant to bridge it and the Odyssey.

I think the Theban Plays were something similar. Basically they were their own version of comic book adaptations; based on a wide base of material and perfectly willing to take liberties to tell a better (or easier to stage) story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Lincoln punched Andrew Jackson so hard that Jackson flew forward through time and space and ended up as Joe Jackson, patriarch of the Jackson 5.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Khazar-khum posted:

Lincoln punched Andrew Jackson so hard that Jackson flew forward through time and space and ended up as Joe Jackson, patriarch of the Jackson 5.

Still a huge rear end in a top hat. Also, now dead.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Top hats purely exist to compensate for shortness.

Sir

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You know the rule. Post the pics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Still a huge rear end in a top hat. Also, now dead.

Sums up a lot of historical figures.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Sums up a lot of historical figures.

thankfully

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im definitely gonna throw a party with my friends when kissinger kicks the bucket

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not, because he got to live a long life in the lap of luxury surrounded by sycophants instead of facing any sort of justice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Krankenstyle posted:

ww1 was a weird mishmash of adorable sweetness (the above, the christmas truce) and horrible massacres (all wars are obviously horrible, but the industrial revolution really did some to streamline the horror).

WWI is just supremely hosed up in so many ways. It boggles my mind that a century on, Verdun looks hosed to hell and back underneath a blanket of golf-course-green grass and trees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I wonder what American attitudes towards interventionism and war would be like if we were still digging up 100-year-old ordinance every year.

That Wikipedia article has some pretty terrifying statistics, like, France collects 900 tons of unexploded ordinance every year, out of the estimated 1 ton per square meter of the western front, fired in World War 1.

(And see also the Zone Rouge, a.k.a. "red zone")

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Germany they find unexploded ordinance from WW2 at least once a week, more than 70 years after the war. The only time this ever really makes more than local news is when the number of people that have to be evacuated is unusually large. Back in 2016 they found a 1,300 kg (iirc) bomb a couple of days before Christmas in Augsburg which led to a good 10% of the population (more than 25,000 people) having to spend Christmas outside of their homes worrying that a 78 year old bomb might blast their house to hell in the meantime. I’m pretty sure that this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons why Germans are to this day pretty set against military interventions abroad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

System Metternich posted:

I’m pretty sure that this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons why Germans are to this day pretty set against military interventions abroad.

There may be a correlation here…

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not, because he got to live a long life in the lap of luxury surrounded by sycophants instead of facing any sort of justice.

I'm going to have an angry, bittersweet drink alone and say what I said when Falwell died. The damage is done, but good riddance nonetheless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nth Doctor posted:

WWI is just supremely hosed up in so many ways. It boggles my mind that a century on, Verdun looks hosed to hell and back underneath a blanket of golf-course-green grass and trees.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Living in a multi-polar world can make everything go pear shaped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sometimes I wonder what American attitudes towards interventionism and war would be like if we were still digging up 100-year-old ordinance every year.

That Wikipedia article has some pretty terrifying statistics, like, France collects 900 tons of unexploded ordinance every year, out of the estimated 1 ton per square meter of the western front, fired in World War 1.

(And see also the Zone Rouge, a.k.a. "red zone")

It's estimated that it is ca. 50 000 mines in the norwegian coastline.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I assume it was the case for all bombers during WWII, but I know German ones would go on bombing runs to cities in the UK and then any unused ordinance would get dropped over the English countryside to reduce weight and save fuel for the return flight. I'm from England and they were still finding bombs around my hometown sometimes in the 2000s.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

System Metternich posted:

In Germany they find unexploded ordinance from WW2 at least once a week, more than 70 years after the war. The only time this ever really makes more than local news is when the number of people that have to be evacuated is unusually large. Back in 2016 they found a 1,300 kg (iirc) bomb a couple of days before Christmas in Augsburg which led to a good 10% of the population (more than 25,000 people) having to spend Christmas outside of their homes worrying that a 78 year old bomb might blast their house to hell in the meantime. I’m pretty sure that this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons why Germans are to this day pretty set against military interventions abroad.

Berlin's got a lot of these because of the local geography (as well as historical administrative importance). Like the bedrock lies under a bunch of mud or something which would slow bombs down at which point they'd bounce off the bedrock, nose upwards. Or something like that, someone's brought it up a bunch of times in the milhist thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How likely is it that a bomb would detonate after 70 years in mud?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

More likely as time goes on. TNT based explosives get more dangerous as they age since they sweat out nitro glycerin.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Solice Kirsk posted:

There may be trouble in finding volunteers to check.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should send them a bill for keeping our expensive ordinance all these years if we still could have used them. :mad:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

More likely as time goes on. TNT based explosives get more dangerous as they age since they sweat out nitro glycerin.

Not only that, but they also have anti-tampering devices which means that they like to go off if the dismantling crew does not know exactly what to do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Not only that, but they also have anti-tampering devices which means that they like to go off if the dismantling crew does not know exactly what to do.

You’re right. I was just thinking about how old mining sites have been found with crates of old TNT sticks that are basically sitting in a pool of nitro. I didn’t think about Evil Engineering add ons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Berlin's got a lot of these because of the local geography (as well as historical administrative importance). Like the bedrock lies under a bunch of mud or something which would slow bombs down at which point they'd bounce off the bedrock, nose upwards. Or something like that, someone's brought it up a bunch of times in the milhist thread

Yeah, that's exactly it. Many bombs of the time used timed fuses instead of impact fuses, to make certain they penetrated deeply into buildings before exploding (or to go off during later rescue efforts). These fuses were pretty simple: A vial of some mild acid would sit above some fragile material and slowly eat through it, releasing a firing pin once the material is weakened enough. However, by bouncing and coming to rest upside-down, these fuses were often completely neutralised, since the only thing that actually brought the acid into contact with the material was gravity.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jul 25, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Proteus Jones posted:

There's a sunken ammunition ship off the coast where I live. The Richard Montgomery. Iirc there's still 1.4k tonnes of explosives on board

Angrymog has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Jul 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm guessing the bombs with clockwork timers were the fancy expensive ones?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Clockworks don't handle hard impacts very well

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's estimated that it is ca. 50 000 mines in the norwegian coastline.

The entire norwegian coastline was fortified to hell and back by the germans, there are old bunkers and trenchworks everywhere, its pretty rad. The mines and old bombs they dig up every other week less so. The army's ordinance disposal team goes out hundreds of times every year.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Proteus Jones posted:

You’re right. I was just thinking about how old mining sites have been found with crates of old TNT sticks that are basically sitting in a pool of nitro. I didn’t think about Evil Engineering add ons.

Erm, isn't it dynamite that will leak nitroglycerin? I think TNT is quite stable, the issue with old bombs is usually that the triggers could go off because (as mentioned above) they were basically a piece of metal being corroded, and they have been sitting around for a long time in an environment where metal corrodes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

That's dynamite that sweats nitroglycerin, but TNT does have a similar phenomenon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

That's dynamite that sweats nitroglycerin, but TNT does have a similar phenomenon.

As a crosspost with the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread, allow me to introduce y'all to Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane.

Derek Lowe, author of the above article posted:

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, or CL-20, was developed as a highly energetic, compact, and efficient explosive. What makes it unusual is not that it blows up – go find me a small hexa-N-nitro compound that doesn’t – but that it doesn’t actually blow up immediately, early, and often. No, making things that go off when someone down the hall curses at the coffee machine, that’s no problem. Making something like this that can actually be handled and stored is a real accomplishment.

Not that it’s what you’d call a perfect compound in that regard – despite a lot of effort, it’s still not quite ready to be hauled around in trucks. There’s a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you’re left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Anyone who hasn't should watch "Danger, UXB". It's all on YouTube for free and follows a British bomb disposal team through WW2. Good primer on why UXOs are loving terrifying. Lots of info on anti-tamper booby trap fuses that were installed to kill bomb disposal crews specifically later in the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCR8pQFINM

Spoiler: A lot of characters you get to like get blown up. :(

E: Found a better playlist.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jul 26, 2018

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

-Zydeco- posted:

Anyone who hasn't should watch "Danger, UXB". It's all on YouTube for free and follows a British bomb disposal team through WW2. Good primer on why UXOs are loving terrifying. Lots of info on anti-tamper booby trap fuses that were installed to kill bomb disposal crews specifically later in the war.

https://youtu.be/O09YA2zZhh8

Spoiler: A lot of characters you get to like get blown up. :(

Seconding this recommendation. Really good drama about the life of a bomb disposal crew, lots of amazing technical details about the evolution of fuses and anti-tamper devices and the crazy methods for dealing with them, and it does a great job of showing what life was like in Britain before, during, and after the blitz.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Angrymog posted:

There's a sunken ammunition ship off the coast where I live. The Richard Montgomery. Iirc there's still 14k tonnes of explosives on board

Oh hey, Warren Ellis did a small essay about this (and his hometown in general) recently http://spiritsofplace.com/files/Compendium-of-Tides.pdf

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nyyen posted:

Seconding this recommendation. Really good drama about the life of a bomb disposal crew, lots of amazing technical details about the evolution of fuses and anti-tamper devices and the crazy methods for dealing with them, and it does a great job of showing what life was like in Britain before, during, and after the blitz.

It's one of John Hawkesworth's series. Hawkesworth, a producer/creator, was involved in some really good period dramas during the 1970s: Danger UXB, Duchess of Duke Street and Upstairs, Downstairs. He also did By the Sword Divided in the 1980s, but I haven't seen any of it.

Upstairs, Downstairs has an insanely good season about World War I.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Wikipedia posted:

Some areas remain off limits (for example two small pieces of land close to Ypres and Woëvre) where 99% of all plants still die, as arsenic can constitute up to 17% of some soil samples

Jesus Christ

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

I actually went to Verdun on vacation in June; I've had a fascination with World War One ever since I was in middle school. I'm an amateur photographer, but here's some of the photos with descriptions.

This is the entrance to the 'Trench of the Bayonets.' There was a myth that several French soldiers died at their posts with bayonets still fixed, so they built this big memorial. They actually got buried by an artillery barrage and then were reburied by Germans. The story is completely false, but I imagine it would cost far too much and be too divisive to do much about the memorial at this point.

The monument itself.

The grave of one of the unknown soldiers within the trench.

Fort Vaux was the smallest of the forts. Its guns had been knocked out, its water supply cut, its galleries full of wounded soldiers who had tried to escape the numbing bombardment. It was commanded by Major Sylvain Raynal, an old soldier who walked with a cane. He and his men, half mad with thirst, defended the fort for seven days against attack, fighting hand to hand in its pitch-black galleries against flamethrowers and machine guns, tearing down its walls from within to build emplacements. Even Vaux's last pigeon, Valiant, gassed and wounded, proved itself; it carried a message to Fort Souville, next in the chain of fortresses, and received a citation. Major Raynal, at the seventh day, judged that his men had done their duty. French honor had been saved, and the suffering was enough. They laid down arms and surrendered the fort, and the Germans lined up to shake Raynal's hand. He spent the rest of the war in a German prison camp.

The crown jewel of the fortress chain, Fort Douaumont had had its guns stripped in 1915 and its regiment downsized by order of General Joffre, who saw fortresses as outmoded. The French would pay for this dearly - Douaumont was captured by less than thirty Germans, who snuck in and captured the skeleton crew of the fort without firing a shot. Their pride wounded, the French counter-attacked again and again, bombarding their own fort and spending up to 100,000 lives to take back Douaumont.

The walls of Fort Douaumont.

Inside Fort Douaumont, stored artillery exploded while in German possession, killing many soldiers and burying them beneath a cave-in. This is their memorial.

Barbed wire against the sky.

The heights of the Meuse did not only host forts, artillery, and soldiers. There were villages, too. Nine of them, which the battle killed - in official registers they are recorded as having 'died for France,' as a soldier might. Among them was Fleury. Having exchanged hands sixteen times over the course of the battle, it was decided not to rebuild it. Yet Fleury still exists. Its roads have been relaid. The vacant shellholes where once houses and buildings stood have been carefully marked with those who lived there once: grocer, streetmender, priest, school. And to one side, as in all French villages, their war memorial: their sons and husbands and brothers who went away and did not return. As if a village, its traditions, its people, its soil tilled for centuries, was not loss enough.

After ten months, and three hundred thousand dead, the battle ended. German troops had to be shipped east to face Russia's Brusilov offensive. The French held the forts and Verdun, the Germans the woods of Alsace-Lorraine. There was a great gaping wound torn into the Meuse forests and hills, the wind carried blood and death, but other than that - tactically, strategically - nothing had changed.

Verdun now is a vast forest, dotted with innumerable memorials, rotting concrete shelters and bunkers, the wooden frames of rifles, and remnant trenches.

There is an ossuary. It is shaped like an artillery shell, and at the top of its tower there is a bell named The Voice of the Dead. Beneath its floor, through its windows, there are 130,000 unknown soldiers' bones: Germans, Algerians, Senegalese, French, Vietnamese. The bones dog your steps. The silence is absolute. The steel ossuary doors still open when the French Forest Service returns from the deep thickets of Verdun bearing earth-stained bones. Every step of the battlefield, you must remember, is a graveyard.

The largest French graveyard from the Great War. The Ossuary stands just behind.

Where Fleury's railway station once stood, there is a museum. It is a terrible and awe-inspiring place in the ordinariness of its contents. It holds uniforms of Prussians, Zouaves, chasseurs. ID tags snapped in half. The skin of a gassed man. The trunk of a dead man, carefully wrapped and delivered back to his widow.

The panorama that depicts what the battlefield looked like; it's a replacement for one the museum used to have which was designed by veterans of the battle. They swapped it out when they redesigned the museum.

Tucked in a back part of the museum, you may find this chest. It is terribly small and terribly sad. The placard reads, Louis Pergaud, author of 'The War of the Buttons,' was a young writer, aged just 32 at the start of war. Like millions of Frenchmen, he left his profession and his home to fight in the trenches in Meuse, to the south of Verdun. With his men, he alternated between periods on the front line and short periods of rest in the rear, often under shellfire. Life was hard but regular parcels from his wife, Delphine, made it more bearable. He placed the contents of his parcels with his few personal effects in his army trunk. On 8 April 1915, Louis Pergaud did not make it back to the trenches. His army trunk was closed and returned to his wife. In 2008, it was donated to the Memorial Museum. These are the last reminders of a man who disappeared in the fighting in Meuse. Louis Pergaud's body was never found.

French gas shell.

The entrance to Fort Souville, tucked far into the woods, where I had as close to a paranormal experience as I've ever had.

Someone's grand uncle died in the fighting at Fort Souville, and their family still remembers the loss.

The whole experience was incredible, truly awe-inspiring. It reminded me of the only poem that I think might be a better war poem than Owen or Sassoon's.

'On the Death of a Soldier' by James Graham
Make no mistake: he is dead. He does not sleep.
There is no whisper in his brain. There is nothing
in his chemistry that can say, "I am cold."
No part of him is alive now, either here
or in a place of angels. He will decay.
The world has ended. The cosmos has collapsed
into a singularity. Traffic is passing on the road,
a blackbird sings, a frog leaps somewhere, tourists
are visiting the Taj Mahal, but the world has ended.
If God would send his Minister of State, to give us
the co-ordinates of heaven, if we could send
a party of detached observers on a preview tour
(sales pitch and brochures will not do); if then
His Excellency would put a human soul
on public view, explain and demonstrate
the method of its separation from the corpse,
and its means of transportation to eternity,
then we would know for sure: would know a man
whose entrails had been scattered on the earth
would be restored and counseled, and be happy.
Then making garbage of young men would not
be a kinder act, but there would be recompense.
The years they never knew, the loves they never gave,
would matter less. It would matter less that they
could not be engineers, or doctors, or play golf,
or father laughing babies. To put it differently:
until God's envoy makes his case, and answers
all our questions, do not kill. Work against death.
Watch over life. Assume there is no other.

Pinball has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing.

The French inscription in the first photo actually said they were buried by a barrage, but maybe the monument itself is still named after the bayonet story?

Also Fort Souville looks like it could be the location where they did the "Bear Jew" scene from Inglorious Basterds

e: also that poem is incredible, definitely in the Owen-Sassoon league, wow

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jul 26, 2018