Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

FistEnergy posted:

yeah but who isnt

I've been fired ostensibly for shitposting before

I guess he'll have plenty of time now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Electric cars are dumb as hell because they do nothing to alleviate the actual environmental and societal costs of cars, which is the immense amount of infrastructure that has to be devoted to them.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
IMO one shouldn't buy Ikea because the founder was a Nazi piece of poo poo who hid all his money in Benelux tax-shelters.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/iLoveLA/status/1021469658669449216

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i'm sure those braking tests were unimportant

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

On one hand we have the Union of Concerned Scientists telling us that the EV industry is an important part of reducing the inevitable and catastrophic impact of global warming, but on the other we have snarky goons who heard some Koch propoganda about rare earth metals. Heck, we'll have to agree to disagree.

how the gently caress are you going to solve the climate crisis by selling luxury cars to rich assholes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sure those braking tests were unimportant

they're blaming autopilot for accelerating into the lot

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you know which rude twitter poster elon musk should complain about??? thats right, president donald teump, whose boss is the AMERICAN PEOPLE, not putin!!!! (or is it???))

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Electric cars are dumb as hell because they do nothing to alleviate the actual environmental and societal costs of cars, which is the immense amount of infrastructure that has to be devoted to them.
it's a 3-pronged approach to solving climate change. electric cars, low density tube-transport, and mars colony

what have you even done???

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

infernal machines posted:

inshallah as always but the affiliate news is saying that the lady mixed up the break and the gas

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

infernal machines posted:

oh lol it was the autopilot

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

babypolis posted:

how the gently caress are you going to solve the climate crisis by selling luxury cars to rich assholes

the goal was to sell high-margin luxury cars to rich assholes then use the money to build up an operation to profitably sell lower-margin cheap electric cars to normal assholes like you and me. which might have worked if musk wasnt insistent on being a dumbshit and running his company into the ground

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

New patch will add a "Farmers Market" setting

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

like i get you like your electric car just as i love my piece of poo poo 20 year old car, doesnt mean they are good solutions to climate change. mass transportation, bicycles, and better urban planning are the real answers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wonder which company is going to scoop up the tesla assets

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lmao

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

drat, did I miss furniture chat? can someone make a thread for chatting about furniture? because I just bought a big shag rug, and it’s great for when I have people over to play board games.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

the goal was to sell high-margin luxury cars to rich assholes then use the money to build up an operation to profitably sell lower-margin cheap electric cars to normal assholes like you and me. which might have worked if musk wasnt insistent on being a dumbshit and running his company into the ground

well its a inherently flawed model because why would a company shift resources towards something than will bring in less profit

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

anyone who thinks that the concept of the personal car is somehow compatible with any positive solution to climate change is trying to square a circle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
well at least the tesla didn't decide to guillotine him

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SpaceGoku posted:

anyone who thinks that the concept of the personal car is somehow compatible with any positive solution to climate change is trying to square a circle

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a reasonable solution to climate change would be war-time mobilization of the economy to move to other energy sources, investing in public transportation and infrastructure, and massive research into the damage we've already done and how to prepare for the change

if your solution is to hope some capitalist messiah sells cheap electric cars then lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

a reasonable solution to climate change would be war-time mobilization of the economy to move to other energy sources, investing in public transportation and infrastructure, and massive research into the damage we've already done and how to prepare for the change

if your solution is to hope some capitalist messiah sells cheap electric cars then lol

cheap electric cars that randomly crash or catch on fire won't address climate change.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No Refundo!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

babypolis posted:

trying to solve the climate crisis by buying 30k dollar cars is very stupid, yes

better off with an e-bike

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/228810-orbeas-gain-e-bike-looks-just-normal-road-bike-packs-250w-motor

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how does this work? you charge the battery by riding and then it becomes a scooter of sorts?

man biking everywhere owns so much, i wish i lived in a non hellhole city where i could just ride a bike anywhere

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

etalian posted:

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

babypolis posted:

By developing the technology until it's efficient and affordable, which is what most car companies are trying to do. Non-Tesla EVs are already getting there, especially in terms of used vehicles.

Hybrid technology seemed dumb and overpriced until it was mature, too. Realisitically this early-stage development should have been happening decades ago, but the petroleum industry fights every inch of the way and most car companies are huge, slow, protective of their profit margins, and very conservative.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

Agreed, it's time for electrified buses, trains, and heavy trucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

that will be $5000 please to remove the accidentally installed "Farmers Market" patch

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

they should put that old car murder dude's soul into the cars robocop 2 style

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yoshi Wins posted:

drat, did I miss furniture chat? can someone make a thread for chatting about furniture? because I just bought a big shag rug, and it’s great for when I have people over to play board games.

there’s an interior design thread (that would have an aneurysm from the mdf posters) in diy and hobbies

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

By developing the technology until it's efficient and affordable, which is what most car companies are trying to do. Non-Tesla EVs are already getting there, especially in terms of used vehicles.

Hybrid technology seemed dumb and overpriced until it was mature, too. Realisitically this early-stage development should have been happening decades ago, but the petroleum industry fights every inch of the way and most car companies are huge, slow, protective of their profit margins, and very conservative.

sure but we still shouldnt have personal cars

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

babypolis posted:

like i get you like your electric car just as i love my piece of poo poo 20 year old car, doesnt mean they are good solutions to climate change. mass transportation, bicycles, and better urban planning are the real answers

Somewhere, Chuck Asay just felt a shiver run down his spine, and incorrectly blamed it on the homosexual agenda.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

actually we should replace all mass transportation with Smart transport solutions based on pooled autonomous individual vehicles and real time variable dynamic pricing, all contained in a hyperloop style pipeline.

clearly that would be cheaper than a bunch of buses

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

babypolis posted:

Well yeah and our stupid-rear end cities should be laid out completely differently and also we shouldn't be under the yolk of capitalism. None of that changes the fact that EVs of all sorts are, broadly speaking, a step in the right direction.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Agreed, it's time for electrified buses, trains, and heavy trucks.

this all already existed before car culture (read: auto manufacturing industry lobbying) showed up in the US

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

babypolis posted:

So uh how are you supposed to get anywhere that's not a fairly developed city or suburban area?

Like I'm 100% for reducing the number of cars on the road and vastly increasing public transit infrastructure but I don't think that getting rid of personal cars altogether is an any way a practical solution.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So uh how are you supposed to get anywhere that's not a fairly developed city or suburban area?

Like I'm 100% for reducing the number of cars on the road and vastly increasing public transit infrastructure but I don't think that getting rid of personal cars altogether is an any way a practical solution.

CSPAM is all about practical realistic solutions like full luxury space communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I vaguely recall that the plan was to bus all the rurals into silicon valley, but that plan may have died with the Hillary for America campaign. Admittedly, I did not Check Out The Website, so I can't be sure.