Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Beautiful! How old?

The azalea is probably 20-30, the sierra juniper 40-50.

fuzzy logic posted:

badass yew

Hey, not a bad little tree to play around with. I'd repot it next year into some nice soil, then wire it the following year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Crocoduck posted:

The azalea is probably 20-30, the sierra juniper 40-50.

Hey, not a bad little tree to play around with. I'd repot it next year into some nice soil, then wire it the following year.

:D I've tried to be very gentle with it so far, just trying to keep it from rotting to death.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Catpain Slack posted:

Thought I'd share my first little foray into bonsai growing.
After last year's outdoor growing season I noticed one of my chile pepper plants (capsicum chinense) had a gorgeus thick, woody stem and decided to try turning it into a bonsai.

Here it is after root-trimming and repotting, late october 2016:

And what it looks like today. I've trimmed the branches just once when they got a bit long, about a month ago.

I haven't dared do anything else to it yet, figured I'd read up on bonsais a bit and just let it grow in peace for now.

Yesssss, I'm starting some peppers this year to do exactly this (and sorry for the old quote)

I set up a grow tent late last fall to have a good indoor grow area for the winter (zone 4b Minnesota) and have been having tons of fun growing all kinds of peppers. Oldest in this pic are from November 1st and are now outside, as are all the pepper starts for the growing season.

With room in the tent again, I have a pair of scotch bonnet, bahamian goat, and thai burapa starting now that will just be grown in the tent year round. They still can get pretty big in the 1 gal fabric pots they'll be in, so I'll be clipping and growing (probably not much wiring) to keep them relatively small. Also have an older Aji pineapple, and a really nice looking Goldfinger (apparently a baccatum?) that I'll be doing the same.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

My bonsai is giving me the middle finger. Still, feels real nice getting this in a pot.

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 31, 2018

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Are your standard hedge style azaleas pretty hardy? I have some fairly unruly ones in my yard that I would like to very aggressively cut back and start shaping. If I kill them, i'd be mildly sad but also not because like I said, unruly.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Depends. They like it moist and don't mind a cold winter. I've heard of a lot of trouble keeping them in the heat. Still, if they're growing there as hedges, they should be fine. Very ok with heavy pruning.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I live in the PNW. No worries about heat and moisture.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Both my azalea basically require me to get at them regularly or the branches die when they touch each other

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I was recently given a maple grown from a seedling. It's probably three feet tall. It's in my yard now in a five gallon bucket with soil. It gets a lot of sun. I wanted to thicken up the trunk and then chop it. How do I avoid loving this up?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

lemonslol posted:

I was recently given a maple grown from a seedling. It's probably three feet tall. It's in my yard now in a five gallon bucket with soil. It gets a lot of sun. I wanted to thicken up the trunk and then chop it. How do I avoid loving this up?

Water it deeply every few of days when the top inch or so of soil starts to dry out (don't let it dry out completely). Water it more frequently in really hot or dry weather. Make sure the bucket has holes in the bottom to allow it to drain. If you live somewhere with a cold winter, protect its roots as it sleeps – put it in an unheated garage or cover the bucket with mulch or dried leaves. Water sparingly during the winter, but still water it. Give it a shot of fertilizer every once in awhile, but not every time you water. Phosphorous heavy fertilizer in the fall, balanced fertilizer in the spring and summer.

That's about it!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

lemonslol posted:

Put it in the ground for a few years

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

kedo posted:

Water it deeply every few of days when the top inch or so of soil starts to dry out (don't let it dry out completely). Water it more frequently in really hot or dry weather. Make sure the bucket has holes in the bottom to allow it to drain. If you live somewhere with a cold winter, protect its roots as it sleeps – put it in an unheated garage or cover the bucket with mulch or dried leaves. Water sparingly during the winter, but still water it. Give it a shot of fertilizer every once in awhile, but not every time you water. Phosphorous heavy fertilizer in the fall, balanced fertilizer in the spring and summer.

That's about it!

Thanks a ton. Should i consider putting it in non-organic soil after the summer?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Probably not if you're trying to thicken the trunk. You especially don't want to repot it after summer – you want to avoid messing with the roots between late summer and late winter because that's where all the tree's energy is stored during the cold months. Depending on how thick the trunk is and how thick you're shooting for, you probably won't need to repot it for several years. When you do, repot it in the early spring as it starts to bud.

Put it in the ground for a few years

This is really the best advice.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I know. I just cant plant it in the ground. I'm in a city and my yard doesn't have dirt. Can I simulate ground with a wide mesh pot?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
I'm actually trimming my azalea today and repotting it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

oh my... flowering pics please?! Beautiful and thick dayum

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Decandled the little black pine awhile ago and it's already budding again - here in SF pines have 2 growing seasons and it may need another prune in October. Of course I overwatered it all of once and now it crawling with fungus gnats, barf. I know they're harmless and all but it's gross to pick up your little tree and just a cloud of bugs comes flying out. :argh: This is why I deliberately cultivate spiders on you, you drat trees!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crocoduck posted:

You make me want to bonsai. How could you do this to me?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Because that tree is competition worthy. Grab some trees and try to keep them alive its fun!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Any place online to buy prebonsai stock? I don't havr access to nurseries in my area

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Because that tree is competition worthy. Grab some trees and try to keep them alive its fun!

It's a Japanese import azalea, I'm kind of its caretaker these days, but whatever aesthetic virtues it has I did not give it :]

Today's work:

And in bloom

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

lemonslol posted:

Any place online to buy prebonsai stock? I don't havr access to nurseries in my area

How much are you looking to spend? Facebook has a group called bonsai auctions and 99c bonsai that are both really good.

silicone thrills posted:

It really gets in your blood, turn back.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

lemonslol posted:

if you have even a home depot or similar nearby you'd be amazed what you can do with a stock juniper or other shrub. My yew came from Lowe's or something afaik. Just be prepared to look like a weirdo digging the trunk bases out on every single blue rug they have in stock and not buying anything. It can be faster to work with something in a 1-5 gallon pot than the tiny 4" pots some places sell as "prebonsai" but are really just regular seedlings that are effing tiny.

Ed: speaking of being a weirdo I just got a mugo pine for 20 bucks in the clearance section. Seven inch circumference at the base and completely crawling with aphids. I'll take some pics tomorrow :D

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 14, 2018

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I love this mugo so much I had to take some crappy phone pics. Dug it out from the sale section, spent a few hours clearing out dead needles and a massive aphid infestation (I didn't even know aphids could eat pine sap!), it's looking better but still in rough shape, no work for it outside of water and love for awhile I think. Outer foliage is so dense it's hard to get good pictures of the trunk but THAT TRUNK. Also if you live near Monrovia, they know what's up, the crown was clearly decandled last year before it went to the garden center and went to poo poo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Last year I bought a small Juniper bonsai, intending to pursue it seriously as a hobby if I managed to keep it alive for the entire year. I kept it outside the whole time (even during winter, it looked very stately wearing a blanket of snow) and it was fine, but since the heat wave recently (I watered it more often during that period) it's been turning yellow. I can't tell if it was underwatered, overwatered, had some kind of shock from the heatwave, or what.

Afraid of overwatering, I've been letting it dry out a bit lately but I'm worried.

Can anyone recommend a bonsai person/organization/doctor in NYC? I know it's probably better to get an expert to look at this little guy in person but any quick tips (or anything I can do in the meantime) would be appreciated as well.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Last year I bought a small Juniper bonsai, intending to pursue it seriously as a hobby if I managed to keep it alive for the entire year. I kept it outside the whole time (even during winter, it looked very stately wearing a blanket of snow) and it was fine, but since the heat wave recently (I watered it more often during that period) it's been turning yellow. I can't tell if it was underwatered, overwatered, had some kind of shock from the heatwave, or what.

Afraid of overwatering, I've been letting it dry out a bit lately but I'm worried.

Can anyone recommend a bonsai person/organization/doctor in NYC? I know it's probably better to get an expert to look at this little guy in person but any quick tips (or anything I can do in the meantime) would be appreciated as well.

Most of the time when you get them cheap junipers they're Juniperus procumbens nana, which grow decently in subtropical climates but struggle in our climate. Junipers like shimpaku, san jose, sierra, rocky mountain, etc. do better here. When you buy from a bonsai group, they're also generally on good soil, which makes a huge difference in survivability. If it's turning yellow, my guess is it's already dead. What's your ability to give winter protection like?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Almost everyone gets a mallsai to start at some point :/ I would guess it didn't like the direct sun combined with the heatwave

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

This is weird - I assumed the aphids on my mugo were a fluke from the garden center, like maybe they jumped off a tomato plant, but when I went out this morning the trunk was teeming with ants - I have a full blown aphid infestation in the new candles! How weird. I'm just going to keep crushing/blasting them with the hose and hope they don't come back, but I think these candles are toast, they're limp and floppy where the aphids have damaged them :(

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I've had a couple serious aphid infestations on a few plants of mine out of the blue. Not sure specifically about your mugo but I used an organic insecticidal soap after trying out a cayenne/water mixture that seemed to work pretty well. Good luck :/

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

I've had a couple serious aphid infestations on a few plants of mine out of the blue. Not sure specifically about your mugo but I used an organic insecticidal soap after trying out a cayenne/water mixture that seemed to work pretty well. Good luck :/

Why is organic better than not-organic?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

oh no idea on organic vs inorganic, I just bought the organic because I also needed to use it for peppers that I'm going to eat soon. I'd imagine the inorganic would be more serious so I'd be wary on using large amounts of it without being sure it wasn't going to hurt my plant in some way

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Nuke 'em. It's the only way to be sure.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Bought a bonsai from one of my teachers. Very happy with it.

Definitely up there with the best of my trees. Needs some carving work, some fine wiring, but otherwise I expect to be able to show this guy off if I ever get the nerve up to submit to competitions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crocoduck posted:

How much are you looking to spend? Facebook has a group called bonsai auctions and 99c bonsai that are both really good.

There's a guy named Lui selling a set of 4 tools on 99c bonsai, current bid is $40. Worth it? I don't have any proper tools, just some regular garden trimmers, which have been fine for coarsely fooling around with ficuses but I'd kind of like to get into more traditional trees too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's a guy named Lui selling a set of 4 tools on 99c bonsai, current bid is $40. Worth it? I don't have any proper tools, just some regular garden trimmers, which have been fine for coarsely fooling around with ficuses but I'd kind of like to get into more traditional trees too.

I'd say yes but with the caveat that actually shaping a tree with trimmers is like 5% of bonsai work, the rest is just growing and time. When I first started I bought a bunch of wire and tools thinking I was going to Get At It, nope

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd say yes but with the caveat that actually shaping a tree with trimmers is like 5% of bonsai work, the rest is just growing and time. When I first started I bought a bunch of wire and tools thinking I was going to Get At It, nope

Yeah I've got several ficuses that I've had for like 3 years now and finally one of them is approaching sufficient trunk thickness that I'm actually considering doing something with it beyond basic "keep this houseplant alive".

I'll probably just murder it

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Then you’re bonsai-ing the right way

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TheMightyHandful posted:

Then you’re bonsai-ing the right way

100% shari

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I've got several ficuses that I've had for like 3 years now and finally one of them is approaching sufficient trunk thickness that I'm actually considering doing something with it beyond basic "keep this houseplant alive".

Yea I saw those I'm excited to see the results. I forgot to add to my earlier post "make sure its the right time of year for the plant" because I let an experienced bonsai grower mess with a maple of mine a month or two ago and it is extremely unhappy if not dead now. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Nah dude, don't be thinking that way. Bonsai is all tasks, learning how to work a tree at the right time, for the right reasons is insanely important. I would say that ideally every bonsai artist should have a giant set of tools, including non traditional ones like broken glass bottles, sharpened screwdrivers, children's hammers, aquarium tubing, etc. Learning how to grow a tree is important, but learning how to work a tree is what separates bonsai from houseplants.

Trees gotta make it sexy or they don't get to stay in the garden ;)

Yea I saw those I'm excited to see the results. I forgot to add to my earlier post "make sure its the right time of year for the plant" because I let an experienced bonsai grower mess with a maple of mine a month or two ago and it is extremely unhappy if not dead now. :rip:

After care is huge. I've definitely worked trees to death, every year for the past 6 years or so. It's hard, but learning how to read a tree, how to push a tree, and the nature of your garden are things that you can only do by taking risks.