Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fireside Nut posted:

Has anyone tried multiplayer yet? Let's say I create a game and have some buddies jump in and we start building a base. Then the next day my buddy has some time and wants to jump and continue the shared game, can he can jump in without me and work on our game? Or do I have to host the game for him to build on our world?

Would also like to know this, since I'd probably be playing this exclusively with my husband. And if we both start a new game together, can we immediately start multiplayer'ing, or do we have to finish the tutorial first? And does immediately jumping into multiplayer somehow break the tutorial breadcrumbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this but it made for a far better experience for me to completely restart my game.

I haven't played in so long that even though I had a more advanced character, I was finding myself lost on how to come up with varying resources that I simply "couldn't find." None of the guides out there really cover this, either, so I couldn't just wiki a quick answer to throw something together.

A few thoughts:

- They put a much stronger emphasis on building and using the remote refineries. Once I realized that I could throw one of those together cheaply it changed how I farmed for items / goods. I was wandering around for a good hour, though, looking for chromatic metals on my old account. Derp.

- I enjoy the new blueprint builder but wish you had access to more things early on.

- Base building is fun. It's far better than most games' base building although I do wish people would take a chapter from Wildstar and allow for the resizing of certain objects. I think NMS can do this without breaking immersion too much.

- I wish the game allowed for a quick waypoints system that was reliable. Often I'd find a broken down ship or a drop pod but couldn't do anything with it at the moment. Beacons supposedly work but I don't have the recipe for that and you can only have 5 per planet. The holding "F" visor and then making a waypoint isn't reliable. I just want a quick dropped point that I can come back to at a later time but keep the blocks loaded in so I don't lose my sweet finds.

- My main character is still screwed since I don't know how to make anti-matter.

- Love the terrain tool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apparently proc gen at a system level has some new additions. There’s derelict systems with no life and abandoned space stations and undiscovered systems with no stations at all.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apparently proc gen at a system level has some new additions. There’s derelict systems with no life and abandoned space stations and undiscovered systems with no stations at all.

Can you sort for these when plotting courses? And how is the course plotter in general? Is it improved (from being total shite...)? Can you sort by planet type and such? I remember it was super hard to actually pick which system you wanted to go to when you deviated from the story or center paths. If they're smart, they will have made it like Elite Dangerous.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

The new features like ancient relics, buried resources and treasure, archaeology etc are just new icons to hunt in your visor, but like everything in NMS, they're loving *everywhere*, so by your second planet it's just another item on the grind list. No searching, no discovery, no rarity, no novelty.

This does remain the biggest challenge to NMS being long term engaging for me. Each solar system feels the same as the last as does each planet. Even if they aren’t. So it all kind of blurs together.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just to clarify as I think I've seen people say otherwise.

You don't have to refine ferrite to build launcher fuel. The dust works just fine. It doesn't fill up as much but you don't need to build the refiner.

Food for thought for when you land on a bad planet by mistake.

Liking it so far. More of the same but it looks nicer. Game runs amazing on One X, only slow down that bothered me was with the terrain manipulator.

Anyone know where the mission board is on the space stations?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I am annoyed that I need to waste an inventory slot to save my game manually.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Beastie posted:

Anyone know where the mission board is on the space stations?

I was wondering this myself. According to Reddit, it's the guy to the left of the guild envoy. For me, they never have missions so I am assuming this is something to unlock by advancing the tutorial?

So, I've got a freighter and 1 frigate. What's there to do on a frigate apart from looking at the pretty views?

edit: you can actually jump out, it seems!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got a couple hours in last night and coming from a new game that I started a week ago the early game seems much better this time around. I agree with the sentiment that while a lot of the resource stuff is simplified they complicated it in other ways so I'm not sure if they gained anything. The core gameplay loop is definitely still there so if you didn't like the game before I don't think this will convert you but it's held my attention so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shortspecialbus posted:

I am annoyed that I need to waste an inventory slot to save my game manually.

You only need to do this if you're way out in the wilderness, you can trigger a save by getting into your ship and getting out again.

I like the idea of moving equipment in and out of the inventory, it'll probably be way more useful later in the game when the equipment would require rare components to rebuild. Has anyone gotten far enough to check if you can pick up a vehicle bay and carry it around with you? That would be a real gamechanger.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Beastie posted:

I'm excited to see how it runs on One X. The trailer was captured in it so here's hoping it's just like that.

So far it's been running great for me. Haven't decided whether I like High Performance or High Quality better, yet.

Anasurimbur posted:

- I wish the game allowed for a quick waypoints system that was reliable. Often I'd find a broken down ship or a drop pod but couldn't do anything with it at the moment. Beacons supposedly work but I don't have the recipe for that and you can only have 5 per planet. The holding "F" visor and then making a waypoint isn't reliable. I just want a quick dropped point that I can come back to at a later time but keep the blocks loaded in so I don't lose my sweet finds.

- My main character is still screwed since I don't know how to make anti-matter.

My go to has been dropping Base Computers near things I want to come back to, but I don't know if there's a limit on those per world. Also, if you're on a new save, just keep following the story and you'll get the anti matter recipe. It and warp cells are much easier to make now.

WarpDogs posted:

Their decision to triple down on the crafting aspects is a perplexing one. I can no longer just toss raw plutonium into my thrusters - now I need to craft an item (and one of the required ingredients also must be crafted)?

Once you get ready access to Uranium that really doesn't become a problem anymore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This game is now where I hoped it would be at launch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Somebody walk me through the process of making the ingredients for the terrain manipulator because it is very overwhelming

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I played a couple of hours last night. The planet generation is amazing now and landing on new worlds is exciting again. And while, yes, the crafting is more tedious, I find I'm enjoying it more. I've never understood the complaints about the interface personally, even the "holding down the button to confirm" thing. None of that bothers me at all. It looks cute and it works. I like having to use a refinery to refine materials and I like how digging for precious metals is now like actual prospecting, between using your scanner and terrain digging tool. So far I love this update. We'll see how it goes from here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The refinery is basically the furnace from Minecraft, both in how often you have to use and and in how at first it seems like a major milestone but you quickly realize they're cheap and disposable.

Calaveron posted:

Somebody walk me through the process of making the ingredients for the terrain manipulator because it is very overwhelming

If you pin the recipe and open the log screen it'll have a long explanation for each stage of the process. None of the game wikis have updated yet, what's the exact recipe it wants for the manipulator?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Lmao your friends can't access storage crates in your base and there's no permissions menu.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

So far it's been running great for me. Haven't decided whether I like High Performance or High Quality better, yet.

Yeah it runs pretty well on High Quality. Few stutters if I make planet-fall on a very detailed planet (usually just as I break atmos and only for a few seconds) and pretty severely when using the terrain manipulator.

Haven't done performance mode as it requires you to restart the game. Looks absolutely stunning. HDR really makes some of the engines colors pop.

Photography mode is pretty rad, I spent a ton of time on PS4 messing with it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Is there a way to turn off the haziness and ice build up and other graphical crap around the corners of the screen? It doesn't feel right when I'm in 3rd person view.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Fireside Nut posted:

Has anyone tried multiplayer yet? Let's say I create a game and have some buddies jump in and we start building a base. Then the next day my buddy has some time and wants to jump and continue the shared game, can he can jump in without me and work on our game? Or do I have to host the game for him to build on our world?

From my experience last night we had an issue where when my friend changed saves to bring in his other ship with some materials for us it made his whole base disappear. When he switched back to his new save it appeared again. That may have just been that the servers were flooded and that it wasn't actually uploading his base to the server like it said. This is something you have to manually do at the Base Computer. If you don't upload/update the base after making changes then it wont be on the server for anyone else to see.

It doesn't seem like they are actual shared bases as you only seen to be able to access stuff in the other persons base if you are in their party currently. When you are in the party you get GUEST access to their base which allows you to interact and build things.

Drone posted:

Would also like to know this, since I'd probably be playing this exclusively with my husband. And if we both start a new game together, can we immediately start multiplayer'ing, or do we have to finish the tutorial first? And does immediately jumping into multiplayer somehow break the tutorial breadcrumbs?

It will put you in the same game close to each other. You can work together and the tutorial will take you both to the same places. No breadcrumb issues but we did start the new game and multiplayer right off the bat.

The only thing I would suggest is not redeeming your pre-order starship, if you have it, until after you do the Hyperdrive part. That still breaks because the pre-order ship has one already.

VVVVV - it should say in the quest log on the left i think if it is a main quest. The top section is main quests and the bottom is secondary. Also you only need to talk to 30 NPCs for that. You get milestones for it too.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 25, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is this meet 30 aliens part of the main quest? I dont remember every doing it during atlas rises but its my only quest I have now about 3 hours in, not sure if I missed something somewhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Played it for the first time ever last night, and, um, gently caress Sentinels? Jesus Christ buddy I'm trying to not die here can you gently caress off a bit.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Sentinels seem way more abundant than before, which sucks because fighting them is a chore.

Making money by stealing what comes out of the Whispering Eggs is easy. I found a cadre of three nests by an abandoned outpost so I would steal one, hide on top of the building, then steal a few more. Easy way to make like 300k in a few minutes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

toiletbrush posted:

The terrain manipulator is poo poo for spelunking because half the time it despawns the item you've tagged to find, even if you're careful to avoid it by a huge margin.

The new features like ancient relics, buried resources and treasure, archaeology etc are just new icons to hunt in your visor, but like everything in NMS, they're loving *everywhere*, so by your second planet it's just another item on the grind list. No searching, no discovery, no rarity, no novelty.
How are you actually supposed to get the buried stuff since the terrain gun deletes everything? I'm so confused.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

CrashCat posted:

How are you actually supposed to get the buried stuff since the terrain gun deletes everything? I'm so confused.

I'm not sure if it actually despawns it, unless that's a separate bug from what I saw posted here earlier and experienced myself. I had one where the waypoint was really messed up and kept moving then disappeared altogether, but there were two others nearby I just blasted out all the ground around and looted.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Waypoints are definitely fucky. They sometimes disappear when you look away. I had a few just vanish when I hung a u-turn in my ship.

I remember the last version of the game had this problem too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm not sure if it actually despawns it, unless that's a separate bug from what I saw posted here earlier and experienced myself. I had one where the waypoint was really messed up and kept moving then disappeared altogether, but there were two others nearby I just blasted out all the ground around and looted.
Well it definitely despawns most things, in a stupidly large radius at that. The old digger worked better but apparently that was deleted along with all my other upgrades.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It just occurred me that in its current state this game shares a lot of similarities with Starbound. Not necessarily in a bad way, but the combat that is, let's say, competent combined with the loop of going planet to planet to get specific materials with the big focus being on exploration over everything else. I don't have a freighter yet but it sounds like that might even be sort of the same thing as your ship in Starbound.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

CrashCat posted:

It’s just a bug I guess, many resources just straight up disappear if the terrain manipulator is used anywhere near them. It’s not a bug with the marker system.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's a bug, I guess I got lucky so far as it never happened to me.

Just visited a planet that had a temperature of 320 C and had firestorms, I don't know if this is new?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Trastion posted:

From my experience last night we had an issue where when my friend changed saves to bring in his other ship with some materials for us it made his whole base disappear. When he switched back to his new save it appeared again. That may have just been that the servers were flooded and that it wasn't actually uploading his base to the server like it said. This is something you have to manually do at the Base Computer. If you don't upload/update the base after making changes then it wont be on the server for anyone else to see.

It doesn't seem like they are actual shared bases as you only seen to be able to access stuff in the other persons base if you are in their party currently. When you are in the party you get GUEST access to their base which allows you to interact and build things.

It will put you in the same game close to each other. You can work together and the tutorial will take you both to the same places. No breadcrumb issues but we did start the new game and multiplayer right off the bat.

The only thing I would suggest is not redeeming your pre-order starship, if you have it, until after you do the Hyperdrive part. That still breaks because the pre-order ship has one already.

VVVVV - it should say in the quest log on the left i think if it is a main quest. The top section is main quests and the bottom is secondary. Also you only need to talk to 30 NPCs for that. You get milestones for it too.

Thank you very much for the response! :cheers:

Hmmm... It sounds like mutiplayer might work well enough for my friends and I in different time zones. We like to have persistent world games like 7 Days to Die where anyone who has time can jump on and work on our co-op base.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, is there anything I specifically need to look for to get ground vehicles or do I just keep on with the Atlas stuff until it shows it to me?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Alrighty, here we have my second planet, thus my first base home!

I love that what you see actually matches the geography

and lastly my humble little shacks front yard

You cant see it, but the base mission happened to put me like directly under the rings, so theres a thin line crossing the whole sky. Pretty planet, but watch out for the superheated rain storms!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 25, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That's a gorgeous planet and I love that you can see this tall "Red Mountain-ish" mountain in the background. Good topography can take this game a long way and I hope it keeps getting better. I want to be able to get lost in huge ravines and underground caves and tall mountains and what not.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Also how do you manually save? I tried to exit the game and was warned that I would lose 7 mins of progress but I don't see a manual save button anywhere.

I know people said you can jump in and out of your ship to save, but that's just an autosave. On my second planet I found a beacon near that signal you get the teraforming thingamajig from that let's you manually save. I assume it's a new thing since nobody mentioned it?? You just walk up to it and it prompts you to save your game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I know people said you can jump in and out of your ship to save, but that's just an autosave. On my second planet I found a beacon near that signal you get the teraforming thingamajig from that let's you manually save. I assume it's a new thing since nobody mentioned it?? You just walk up to it and it prompts you to save your game.

Both of those update the same save slot. Buildable save points showed up a patch or two ago and are really only for if you've walked ten miles away from your ship and have to quit right now, there's no difference in saving mechanic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

Once you get ready access to Uranium that really doesn't become a problem anymore.

Yeah whenever I see a radioactive planet I make sure to stop by if I don't have a full stack of uranium in my bag. It seems to fill up the launch thruster very efficiently and you don't have to gently caress with making the fuel things for a while.

Inventory management is awful but it is getting better as I get more slots. I visited like 4 stations before I realized I could interact with the suit upgrade thing in the station to buy a slot. I gave up trying to hold onto materials with vague descriptions to figure out what they are for. If I don't have an immediate use that I'm aware of I'm just chucking them/vendoring them though I'm sure this will be hell later when I need 20 glowy orbs to make a thing or whatever but otherwise there's just not enough room to carry poo poo around.

I assume the freighter will have boxes that I can store things in which should make it better.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

drat, my ship is stuck in the engines of my freighter.

I did that by teleporting the freighter right outside of a planet's athmosphere, and then I pulse engined towards it. Making me get stuck inside it forever.
It's just bouncing me around in the engine and it's really noisy. I have to reload I guess

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

haveblue posted:

Both of those update the same save slot. Buildable save points showed up a patch or two ago and are really only for if you've walked ten miles away from your ship and have to quit right now, there's no difference in saving mechanic.

Okay cool. I think I was just getting confused because every time I try to exit the game I get a warning that I'm going to lose progress even though I JUST saved.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just had an experience on an airless rock last night. Landed to find out its pretty much resource free (minus a few Di-H crystals and pebbles) but covered with Gravitino Balls. Sentinels were shoot on sight though, so the whole episode was me scouting sites from the air, landing to loot the place clean, then taking off to run from the sentinels until they lost me.

I know it's not exactly any different from what could have been done in old versions, but with the update I had a fat stack of Ship Launch fuel (pre-built they stack to 10, each one is 1 landing/takeoff) in the hold and enough concentrated carbon to tide me over for a while(no flora means I had very few options to refuel it when it ran out). Somehow all the parts of the game actually "worked" and I was able to enjoy a brief spot of dangerous resource raiding without it turning into a 30 minute detour to refuel my ship. Even something as simple as fighting the sentinel horde was a more risky option because my unmodded boltcaster eats ammo like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The game thinks my base is in the middle of this asteroid field.