Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

all the companions in 4 were great imo

some didn't personally click with me (macready, strong, X6-88) but they all have their own narrative beat, good voice acting, and unlike 3 are all useful. the introduction of npcs (though only nick and cait) being able to do things for you like lockpicking and hacking was good and something i hope is expanded upon in the next TES or Fallout. preston unduly gets a bad rap too, i thought his VA was fine and he makes for a good companion

deacon is probably my favorite and person im teamed up with 90% of the time though nick valentine is clearly the most interesting / written of them all

cass is probably my favorite out of NV. that game is a bit more of a mixed bag but generally everyone is alright. bigger problem is some companions quests are a real pain in the rear end due to bugs (arcade, raul) and how conditional the requirements are

everyone in 3 kind of sucks. i guess paladin cross is alright. and fawkes.

alpha_destroy posted:

Ummm... Did Sully Mathis always raid naked and I just forgot since my last play-through or did I just roll an awesome random number?

this is a common bug i think and it is from him sometimes equipping additional items that removes his (intended) cage armor which takes up all armor slots

you see it more frequently with like provisioners or caravan guards that might pick something up off a dead attacker that unequips in the latter case their athletic outfit which takes up the leg slots otherwise

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlestonJew posted:

Boone, cuz he rarely talks, his perk is useful, and he typically killed everything before I even saw it coming

The last thing you never see :c00lbert:

With FNV it's tough because every companion is pretty good and even the joke ones like Lily have some nuance. Most useful is Raul by about a mile though, one of his perks turns him into a killing machine that even outclassed Boone and the other basically gives you 200% repair skill. The only one I dislike is Veronica because I find Felicia Day's schtick and all the zany jokes they wrote for her extremely tiring.

My favorite F2 companion is the husband from your lovely shotgun wedding, because selling him to slavers to get divorced is absolutely hilarious.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure preston was just a regular type actor, not one who did a lot of voice work. there are a few quieter moments where he absolutely nails tone, pacing and bringing across what the character is feeling, but he really doesn't know how to play to the empty mic booth and doesn't seem like anyone helped him get there. have the feeling the recording sessions are run like an amazon warehouse though.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

jfood posted:

pretty sure preston was just a regular type actor, not one who did a lot of voice work. there are a few quieter moments where he absolutely nails tone, pacing and bringing across what the character is feeling, but he really doesn't know how to play to the empty mic booth and doesn't seem like anyone helped him get there. have the feeling the recording sessions are run like an amazon warehouse though.

I can only imagine what doing VO for Bethesda is one but I doubt you are far off. The whole thing with Keythe Farley (Kellogg) was one of many incidents that sparked the SAG-AFTRA strike in 2017.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 26, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

VA sessions for games (and most movies) are usually done in isolation throughout all hours of the day due to people's schedules. the VAs for Cait and Deacon both are friends IRL and didn't realize they both worked on the same game until after it came out

i think ropekid recently divulged on twitter that for poe2 they basically had 3-4 companies contracted out to do all their VA recording sessions so that gives you some idea

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

you know who is the worst VA in fallout though

chandler bing as benny

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

chandler bing as benny

I hate to be down on the guy but yeah... Benny just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the script. Something felt wrong.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

matthew perry is apparently some fallout super fan so yeah, i dont think it was conviction or passion or something

something went wrong somewhere along the way

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Berke Negri posted:

chandler bing as benny

I would argue that he comes into his own if you talk with him in the penthouse or let him escape to the fort (instead of killing him or sleeping with him in his room)

I remember Sunny Smiles being extremely bad despite that same VA not being too bad as other characters though. Must've been an off day or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Benny really is just super loving weird in NV, he sounds as cardboard as everyone else looks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It sounds like Matthew Perry had very limited time to record so could only do one take of every line, for a character who speaks in a very idiosyncratic way

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FNV has some real dud VA in it but in its defense i think standards/expectations being a bit different then

i can't really think of anything falling completely flat in 4 but times are very different in 2015 compared to 2010

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Wasn't there a flubbed voice line that slipped past and got into the retail version of Oblivion? Like the VA fucks up and says something to the director?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9REWMEOLdI

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
the best voice acting in New Vegas is undoubtedly No-Bark Noonan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Commie ghosts what don't know they're dead!

New Vegas and the Bethesda Fallouts have pretty spotty voice direction and coaching. A good voice director can spin solid gold, look no further than Relic Entertainment's Dawn of War voice actors video for proof. But Bethesda just doesn't have good voice coaches. It's why Nick sounds like an entirely different character in Far Harbor. A lot of the best voice work in these games seems to come in spite of the voice direction, because the actors are professionals and know the lines better than the director does.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't you laugh at me, I know a spell that'll make you show your true form! Cave rat taught it to me

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do y'all have so much trouble keeping your companions loaded up with ammo for better guns than the defaults?

Did "everyone else" use Spray and Pray and chew through .45 ammo in the midgame?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Then again the entire companions as love interests part of the game always bugged me. Bethesda really didn't need to make ever companion that isn't an animal, robot or super mutant dateable.

I agree and this is why deacon is my favourite companion, he’s just a bro down to kill stuff, he also has my favourite combat line ‘wait WAIT everyone hold up! I got a splinter’

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
New Vegas companions were good, rest are awful, starting with the first companion you ever see

Imagine ianautofire.gif was here

They are just constantly in the way in fo4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

StandardVC10 posted:

Nah. Kris Kristofferson / Chief Hanlon

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ryuujin posted:

I thought Goris from Fallout 2 was considered the best companion.

Ian with an SMG and not a care in the world about friendly fire. :getin:

StandardVC10 posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

Don't you laugh at me, I know a spell that'll make you show your true form! Cave rat taught it to me

"Well, says No-bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon. And that's when they get real quiet, 'cause now they see the predicament we're in."

I still believe that if you could have recruited No-Bark, I would have recruited him every loving time.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’ve been playing NV for the first time in a while and it’s criminal how many times I played this game previously and didn’t exhaust no barks dialogue options

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ian with an SMG and not a care in the world about friendly fire. :getin:

"Well, says No-bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon. And that's when they get real quiet, 'cause now they see the predicament we're in."

I still believe that if you could have recruited No-Bark, I would have recruited him every loving time.

I thought it was best companion, not best get myself killed repeatedly companion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Riatsala posted:

Wasn't there a flubbed voice line that slipped past and got into the retail version of Oblivion? Like the VA fucks up and says something to the director?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9REWMEOLdI

I never played Oblivion but does the person playing this have some of graphics mod that makes the lighting like that or was the base game that horrible looking?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mantis42 posted:

I never played Oblivion but does the person playing this have some of graphics mod that makes the lighting like that or was the base game that horrible looking?

The bloom does look a little extreme (by Oblivion standards) but, for real, the game was fully capable of looking like that. Something tells me that this is an unmodded copy of the game.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i used to really like cass when the game came out, but her drunken moralising really wore on me after awhile. Take drugs she's upset that she can't get high. steal 200 year old potatoes from a dusty shelf enough times she calls you second hitler. Plus her melodramatic ending slide if you side with house really rubs me the wrong way. "Going forward, but looking back the whole time." Like your lovely state is literally doing the same thing just with greater loss of life, you dumb drunken hypocrite. i guess she has a pretty good view of the moral high ground from the bottom of a bottle.

although her NCR ending if you're a male is hilarious so at least there's that.

Favorite is definitely a toss up between Veronica and Raul. Raul probably leading with his tired sarcasm and general disillusionment at the world. I always thought that he was a send-up to the adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashwood and his ghoul manservant Argyle from F3. Except this time he's a crotchety rear end who constantly calls you boss as an ironic jab. I used to think it was intentional that he's good at guns and repair whereas Argyle was an unarmed explosives expert. Then again i was definitely reading too much into it.

Veronica's companion quest is probably the best as it sends you to interesting corners of the map and is more involved than the others. Plus the resolution is bitter sweet in a way that's consistent with the themes of the game. Either she tries to move forward and fails because of her past attachments or she says gently caress it and stays with her dwindling family. culminating in me blowing the lid off their bunker for putting an explosive collar on me and turning me into their one minute hitman.

I always thought it was funny that if you did Still in the Dark before you met her there's no option to go "Yeah the brotherhood is pretty chill, stuck me in a bomb collar, expected me to kill an NCR ranger." it would've killed me if she just no sold it and was all "*blank stare* well yeah, that's standard op for outsiders."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Is Veronica the one that used to lisp about punching things and generally being a manic pixie girl because if so she stinks. Just absolutely stinks.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I always use dogmeat because I love the Lone Wanderer perk and I don't really care what the companions have to say. Nor do I care about flirting with them or the stupid karma system.

To be fair tho, I never really tried a companion since Ian in Fallout 1.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Glenn Quebec posted:

Is Veronica the one that used to lisp about punching things and generally being a manic pixie girl because if so she stinks. Just absolutely stinks.

Still the least bad companion played by Felicia day in any rpg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rex better than dogmeat. Hates rats and hats.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder if Rats Wearing Hats would make Rex explode like the Atomic perk or whatever it is that causes you to go nuclear at low health

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like to think Rex hates hats because he knows he can’t wear them over his dome

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I like to think Rex hates hats because he knows he can’t wear them over his dome

I thought that was the actual joke. :confused:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He hates hats because it rhymes with rats, which he hates

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 Progress:

I've wiped out a couple groups of raiders in order to help a few small communities that were being preyed upon. I got my first notice about a community being attacked, and I had to swoop in and mop things up for them. I also threw up a couple of walls and turrets to make life easier, and I distributed the weapons that the raiders dropped. It's taking a lot of adjusting, getting used to how the Perk and SPECIAL system work now, compared with previous FO games. No Skill points to worry about, but nothing stopping me from maxing out my favourite SPECIAL stats either. I wondered why I had so few SPECIAL points to work with at the start of the game. I've avoided as much info about FO4 as I could prior to starting, so I didn't realize everything was going to be so different. I dumped a bunch of points into Intelligence, and dropped Charisma down to minimum, since I like having lots of skill points to work with, and low CHA can always be compensated for later, by beefing up the related skills. So now I'm paying the price for that, because trying to sell off gear is getting me a handful of caps, so I'll know better for next time.

I liberated the drive in theatre, and I think this will make a good spot to be a central base for me. After clearing out all the cars and trees, I have a lot of room to build whatever I'd like without worrying about the geography getting in the way. I spent a bit of time throwing up walls and guard towers around the perimeter, and once I move some folks in, it should be a good spot.

I also swapped out Dogmeat for Codsworth. I can't handle Dogmeat's yelps and whimpers when he gets hurt, so now I have this jolly tin can following me around.

Couple of questions:

- I've given a few settlers better weapons & some ammo, and made them equip it. Will I have to keep restocking them with more ammo after battles, or are they good once it's equipped?

- I know I'm not very far in yet, but the drive in seems like a really good base spot. I've gotten a quest to liberate the old Minuteman headquarters, which is apparently an old castle? It sounds like it could be a cool spot to make my main base as well. Any opinions, or other sites/quests I should wait for before investing all my wood/metal supplies?

- Any perks which are broken (in a bad way) or useless / worth avoiding? I know in FO3 and NV, some of the perks affecting critical chances, damage increases, etc, were sometimes bugged, and didn't work the way they were described. Just wanted to know before I dump levels into something that won't work the way it should. I've so far bumped my SPECIAL up a few points, and taken Gun Nut, Science!, Armorer, and Locksmith.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The perks are fine, it's just that your damage output is eventually going to hit a wall and the enemies will get stronger every level, forever.

The castle is fine, go for it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 Progress:

I've wiped out a couple groups of raiders in order to help a few small communities that were being preyed upon. I got my first notice about a community being attacked, and I had to swoop in and mop things up for them. I also threw up a couple of walls and turrets to make life easier, and I distributed the weapons that the raiders dropped. It's taking a lot of adjusting, getting used to how the Perk and SPECIAL system work now, compared with previous FO games. No Skill points to worry about, but nothing stopping me from maxing out my favourite SPECIAL stats either. I wondered why I had so few SPECIAL points to work with at the start of the game. I've avoided as much info about FO4 as I could prior to starting, so I didn't realize everything was going to be so different. I dumped a bunch of points into Intelligence, and dropped Charisma down to minimum, since I like having lots of skill points to work with, and low CHA can always be compensated for later, by beefing up the related skills. So now I'm paying the price for that, because trying to sell off gear is getting me a handful of caps, so I'll know better for next time.

I liberated the drive in theatre, and I think this will make a good spot to be a central base for me. After clearing out all the cars and trees, I have a lot of room to build whatever I'd like without worrying about the geography getting in the way. I spent a bit of time throwing up walls and guard towers around the perimeter, and once I move some folks in, it should be a good spot.

I also swapped out Dogmeat for Codsworth. I can't handle Dogmeat's yelps and whimpers when he gets hurt, so now I have this jolly tin can following me around.

Couple of questions:

- I've given a few settlers better weapons & some ammo, and made them equip it. Will I have to keep restocking them with more ammo after battles, or are they good once it's equipped?

- I know I'm not very far in yet, but the drive in seems like a really good base spot. I've gotten a quest to liberate the old Minuteman headquarters, which is apparently an old castle? It sounds like it could be a cool spot to make my main base as well. Any opinions, or other sites/quests I should wait for before investing all my wood/metal supplies?

- Any perks which are broken (in a bad way) or useless / worth avoiding? I know in FO3 and NV, some of the perks affecting critical chances, damage increases, etc, were sometimes bugged, and didn't work the way they were described. Just wanted to know before I dump levels into something that won't work the way it should. I've so far bumped my SPECIAL up a few points, and taken Gun Nut, Science!, Armorer, and Locksmith.

It's awesome that you're having such fun, and haven't looked at guides or anything. Good for you! One idea about your low-charisma barter issue is to put together a salesman outfit of all the best +CHA items you come across. Do your trades and then swap back to your combat gear when you are done trading. Gotta look your best!

Also settlers only need a single piece of ammunition. They never use it up, so you don't need to resupply them.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Zombie Guy posted:

There's no perk cap, so don't worry about that. The only one that immediately stands out as a "do not take ever" perk is VANS, because you already have a compass pointing where to go.

Other than that, be aware that there are no special items in locked containers that you need hacking or lockpicking for; they'll get you more loot, but it's not like in 3 and new Vegas where special legendaries are in high level locked chests.

As a general rule I'd say to focus on one type of weapon perks ("Rifleman" is probably the best category since it also effects shotguns and semi-auto rifles in addition to sniper rifles) instead of spreading them around, but that's just a quality of life suggestion; you can't screw up your build long term.

Edit: Demolitions Expert 2 gives you a path indicator when you pull out a grenade/ to throw. I don't think anything mentions it until you've picked up rank 1.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 26, 2018

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Edit: Demolitions Expert 2 gives you a path indicator when you pull out a grenade/ to throw. I don't think anything mentions it until you've picked up rank 1.

This is the poo poo I'm talking about. That sounds quite handy, and worth investing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Couple of questions:

Next playthrough if you decide to dump Intelligence grab the Idiot Savant perk. It really does a great job making up for the lower experience gain.

One cool tip I leaned recently about settlers is that they will run to the workbench at the start of an attack to grab weapons and armor. Apparently, they'll even upgraded to better weapons and armor from time to time but only at the start of an attack. I don't know if they will grab weapons they don't already have 1 ammo for though. If that's the case that's easy to fix by giving them 1 ammo of each type you want them using. I've been too lazy to try it but might be something worth your time to experiment with.

I don't remember anything being broken except VANS always seemed to glitch out on me on my first playthrough. The luck perks Better Criticals, Critical Banker, Grim Reaper's Sprit and Four Leaf Clover are extremely powerful if you use VATS. Synergizes extremely well with Concentrated Fire under Perception.

I'm sad you benched Dog but his sad puppy sounds do break my heart. I have many times stopped fighting something to race over to Dog's aid. Nobody gets away with hurting my Dog! Codsworth is a cool robot bro, though. Curie is another fun robot friend when you find her.