Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Takuan posted:

I'm gonna come out and say it: This year's G1 isn't as good as the past two years.

It's not bad by any stretch, and I'm enjoying it greatly so far, but on the whole it's just not matching up with last years, or the year before that. I think it's a combination of things working against the overall quality of this year's tournament. The biggest factor is veterans like Kojima and Nagata have been replaced with less experienced guys like Jay White and Hangman Page who are good, but not yet great. Then there's the Bullet Club OG angle which is making Tama and Fale's matches worse than usual. And then finally, Okada isn't working to his full potential to further his current "Weird Kazu" storyline.

The young talent could very well end up paying dividends for New Japan if guys like White, Juice, and Hangman stick around for a few years and continue to improve.

I'd say it's very bifurcated in terms of quality. B Block has been fantastic, but A Block has kind of been dogshit.

A Block suffers from not having a Nagata, but they also don't have a Yano, who serves that "guaranteed good match but you know he's not winning" while also breaking up a card tonally, contrasting the more serious main event style with a mischievous sort of match. A Block has also been hurt worse by Firing Squad, because as Naito/Tama shows, when Tama is in a match that's allowed to have a finish that isn't just "he either gets the interference win with relatively little resistance or is flagrantly DQed" he can put on a legitimately entertaining match, whereas Fale just fuckin sucks. All these complications have hit A Block so much harder, to the point where Tama is the only bum link in B Block whereas I look at A Block and I see Fale, White, Elgin, Yoshi, that's almost half the block right there I'd be happy never seeing again.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

idk I feel like considering we aren't even halfway done it's a bit early to start calling this one as that severe a drop off from last year. One off night and a handful of bad Tama and Fale matches aren't enough to ruin it for me.
Also, since we're around the halfway point, wrestlers are gonna start taking it easier on their bodies in preparation for the big push for those final few days.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Fale was only good as the unstoppable force/wall for someone to try and overcome. when he lowers to the level of needing people to beat others and when he's exposed as not actually being that tall, his mystique is gone.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They lack a good Killer Monster Gaijin like a Vader, Hansen, or Williams. But those are admittedly pretty friggin hard to come by. Cobb and Elgin lack the sheer size, and nobody with the size is so good these days.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jeff Cobb with a mask that is definitely not his mask from Lucha Underground

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the g1 needs kongo kong

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Is Okada still weird?

If so, I think he should be called "Weird Okada" until he stops

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Neodoomium posted:

Is Okada still weird?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fale at least wrestles like a monster even if he's not really very good. Elgin and Cobb though, they sell too much and for all their size and crazy movesets, they come across like guys on the same level as everybody else. It's great for match quality but bad for getting them across as the monsters they could be.

False is treated by all the rest of the roster as a mountain to climb. Nobody is fully safe no matter how good they are otherwise. That has some value and its just a shame that the mountain isn't very good in the ring.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 27, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Fale at least wrestles like a monster even if he's not really very good. Elgin and Cobb though, they sell too much and for all their size and crazy movesets, they come across like guys on the same level as everybody else. It's great for match quality but bad for getting them across as the monsters they could be.

Elgin and Cobb are more Ishii style mega manlets, anyone big enough to be a monster usually goes straight to WWE because they're the only body type WWE will give a decent push.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Where did Weird Okada find a Nickelodeon shirt from 1995

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Goto has 2 5 Star matches by Big Dave this G1 (Ishii and Omega)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Goto has 2 5 Star matches by Big Dave this G1 (Ishii and Omega)

Truly he's the 1997 Bret Hart of our generation, a fantastic wrestler who's also the least compelling personality in his stable

Goto: Bret
Ishii: Owen
Okada: Pillman
Yano: Bulldog
Yoshi: Neidhart

I Before E fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/CokeIbushi/status/1022548043885887488?s=19

Lmao he looked so pissed off to be stuck with YOSHI

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

"Yoh gets to do fun character stuff with Jay and I had to haul this dude out of his car and slap him sober an hour ago"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yoshi is the most failson wrestler outside of literal failson gimmicks like Ted DiBiase Jr.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Can't wait for him to beat Weird Kazu later tonight

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah it'll be wild

He just had a four star match last week, Yoshi-Hashi is solid, he just perpetually looks like someone's about to find out that he threw a baseball through their windshield.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

They know SANADA is like the loving man and should be pushed to the moon, right? They must know this? My love for him grows with every show.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

For the longest time I didn't like YOSHI, but all the backlash is making me feel sorry for him.

So I guess i'm rooting for loving YOSHI-HASHI now

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

here comes the spunk posted:

For the longest time I didn't like YOSHI, but all the backlash is making me feel sorry for him.

So I guess i'm rooting for loving YOSHI-HASHI now

I started G1 out like this and I gave up. I love how bothered SHO looked to have him as a partner.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

They know SANADA is like the loving man and should be pushed to the moon, right? They must know this? My love for him grows with every show.

He's been one of the MVPs of the tournament, his matches with Goto, ZSJ and Ibushi were all great and his Tama match wasn't as horrible as other Tama matches have been. He's still got his marquee matches with Omega and Naito to come too.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Phenix Rising posted:

I started G1 out like this and I gave up. I love how bothered SHO looked to have him as a partner.

They are planting seeds for 3k to ditch Chaos and join Jay White in his new stable without YOSHI

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

Unless he and EVIL decide to bounce to another company or somehow lose all their luster I feel like it's almost a crime if one of them never manages to grab the Heavyweight title. I'm sure both will rack up some IC and NEVER wins and they're reeeeal careful about who gets their name put on those sideplates these days but they're both just so good. The pop (and announcers freaking out) last year when EVIL pinned Okada was amazing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He's been one of the MVPs of the tournament, his matches with Goto, ZSJ and Ibushi were all great and his Tama match wasn't as horrible as other Tama matches have been. He's still got his marquee matches with Omega and Naito to come too.

the ZSJ match was really cool where both guys blew out their arms with scarf chokes then tried to punch each other. I loved his match against Tama because he straight outwrestled all the heel tactics.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sanada seems to be getting the character work down this year which is what he was lacking last year so I can totally see him getting at least an IC run soon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sanada definitely feels like they're portraying him as a future top guy. Him being a future IWGP champ is a pretty safe prediction I think.

EVIL's the LIJ dude who I feel has the lowest ceiling (even though I love him and he's my favourite) but he also is consistently booked pretty strongly. LIJ is the only stable where every member feels like a big deal and a star or soon to be star (except Bushi but oh well).

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What I've loved about SANADA in the tournament is that he seems to have an answer for everybody. He counter-wrestled Sabre and he reversed or countered all of Ibushi's big moves. He just comes off so calm under pressure, waits for his spot, then sinks his teeth in.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Brutal.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SyntheticPolygon posted:

EVIL's the LIJ dude who I feel has the lowest ceiling (even though I love him and he's my favourite) but he also is consistently booked pretty strongly.
I feel like he's headed towards an Ishii role which is not the worst place to be.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Neodoomium posted:

Is Okada still weird?

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1022605499261485056
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1022606649494786048

:perfect:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SANADA is like my favourite guy so I realise I'm biased but this is starting to feel like a breakout G1 for him. All his matches have been great, I really like how strategic he's been presented as and he's already got two big wins I wasn't expecting. Last night, sure he was in his hometown but even so he looked like an absolute star. I am so ridiculously hype for his matches with Omega/Naito/Juice.

Speaking of, Juice's post-match promo last night was another heartwrencher :(

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That reminded me I needed to go watch those. Apparently today (27th) is Hangman Page's birthday and EVIL is going to give him "the best birthday present ever" during the show. How sweet!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TriffTshngo posted:

That reminded me I needed to go watch those. Apparently today (27th) is Hangman Page's birthday and EVIL is going to give him "the best birthday present ever" during the show. How sweet!

EVIL is that guy in your friendship group who was a massive emo as a kid and never grew out of it but you still hang out with him cause he's a great guy and your friendship is pure :unsmith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So uh, is Juice the frontrunner for Best On Interviews at this point?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

Juice and Samoa Joe are the two English language promos I'd say are really really good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

:yeah:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Juice talks good but he's not magnetic like a Naito or Hiromu

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Minoru is also a strong contender for that award

Joe is the only WWE guy I'd consider because he's been the only one all year who manages to elevate main roster scripts. Maybe Ciampa or Cole in NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2:30 pacific tonight?

• Locked thread