Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Janitor Prime posted:

For me it just shows that a person doesn't have drive, and inevitably when they finish their tasks will just twiddle their thumbs and dick around on YouTube instead of learning about new languages frameworks, techniques that could be useful down the line in other projects.
Depending on who it is, sometimes it's best to have them dick around on youtube than have to hear about pickleparty.js or teh blockhains from Doug for the hundredth loving time.

Also if your DRs are spending a lot of time twiddling their thumbs, you're not exactly doing your job either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Janitor Prime posted:

For me it just shows that a person doesn't have drive, and inevitably when they finish their tasks will just twiddle their thumbs and dick around on YouTube instead of learning about new languages frameworks, techniques that could be useful down the line in other projects. I don't expect someone to go home and program as a hobby in their spare time, but if you've got some downtime at work at least use it for something that makes you a better a programmer or whatever.

give us an example answer to "what are you looking for in your job search" that shows the candidate has drive, please.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you have significant amounts of downtime at work then either your company is really bad at assigning you stuff to do or you're probably the guy first in line for downsizing.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Peeny Cheez posted:

Politely telling them to gently caress off is a terrible idea.

Be as bitchy as you can when you tell them to gently caress off.
"thank you for your interest, but after seeing your questionnaire I believe that finding effective technical talent is not your priority. As it stands, I hope that your candidate search goes badly."

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Fiedler posted:

give us an example answer to "what are you looking for in your job search" that shows the candidate has drive, please.

minimum effort, maximum reward

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Fiedler posted:

I just realized I read the question wrong. Welp :sigh:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Peeny Cheez posted:

Yeah, well, unless you're doing something meaningful, which like 99% of us probably don't, what other factor is really important? A Passion for Big Data? The Need to Crush Code All Day Every Day?
lots

- working with more current tech
- degree of bureaucracy/formal process
- division of time between development and support

Also maybe the candidate is looking for something that no company can provide, such as unchanging requirements, and you'd want to bring that up in an on-site interview

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

expressing literally any interest at all in what you spend 8 hours a day should be pretty easy to do in an interview

massive redflag if you're too jaded to care at all about what you spend your time doing, or too stupid to realize that's a bad look

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

To be perfectly clear, I still do all the little dances, holding in my resentments like a first-date fart until I can express them in an appropriate environment.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qhat posted:

I just did a portion of it, I closed the window and sent a rejection email to the recruiter after seeing this beaut:

oh hey this looks familiar

Shaman Linavi posted:

i don't think this company's idea of what the important qualities of a software dev are align with my own
and there were 30 pages of questions like this

im fukken lolling that the questions are literally the same

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Why isn't there a phonoshop app. I want to take a swing at that questionnaire but not enough to get out of bed:

quote:

I am "the one".

Mornings are as an old dog is to a tree.

I'm attracted to mostly normal things.

It is not opposite day. The previous statement is opposite.

I possess lots of coffee.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaman Linavi posted:

Rofl, I knew I'd seen this poo poo somewhere. It was some third party that offered the test so not unthinkable they sell these "services" to any old company.

Also the recruiter just responded to my rejection with "your answers will not be viewable by anyone at our company" as if the fact a third party has access to that information is any more acceptable. The way I see it, if you wouldn't ask the question in person, then it's not okay to ask it in some sterile internet questionnaire either.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaman Linavi posted:

it's a standard personality test dumbass

Peeny Cheez posted:

To be perfectly clear, I still do all the little dances, holding in my resentments like a first-date fart until I can express them in an appropriate environment.

you must be a delight to work with jfc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's a standard personality test dumbass

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Didn't realise it was standard interview practice for candidates to rate their loneliness levels and how popular they are with the opposite sex.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

lol if you wouldn’t let a prospective employer finger you if the price was right

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AWWNAW posted:

lol if you wouldn’t let a prospective employer finger you if the price was right

Which finger, up to which knuckle, and how right is the price?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

Which finger, up to which knuckle, and how right is the price?

that's all up to you, handsome :shehuck:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

qhat posted:

Didn't realise it was standard interview practice for candidates to rate their loneliness levels and how popular they are with the opposite sex.

lol if you even consider giving a real answer to those questionnaires

if you're willing to tank a six figgy income over 10 minutes of this stuff then just loving lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Blinkz0rz posted:

if you're willing to tank a six figgy income over 10 minutes of this stuff then just loving lol

I’m always legit concerned that what I think is there right way to answer them is the wrong way. I’ve never gotten hired by a place that does those.

:(

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJCHoEDNgs

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yes because I'm sure this is the only place on the west coast that offers such an elusive compensation package. Lol.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Blinkz0rz posted:

idk is the exact proper cynicism level that easy to nail? i go back and forth

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
if you have lots of friends of the opposite sex, do they count that against you for a programming job?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheque_some posted:

if you have lots of friends of the opposite sex, do they count that against you for a programming job?

*stands up, looks around open floor office*

I think it's a trick question. Having friends at all is unproductive

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Phone interview went really well today and I'm going to go in for an in-person interview. The company HR rep seemed impressed even though I feel like I have an aggressively average resume, I've just done lots of different stuff.

I went from 1% chance of this turning into something to 5% after the new product owner we hired decided that he'd make 30 minutes of smalltalk to me today while I was trying to shoo him and get back to work. The smalltalk was him complaining about how the government ruins everything including gems such as "EPA ruined gas cans" and "the new streetcar being built downtown is dumb because if it snows 6 inches it won't be able to run, all mass transit is dumb I just bought a new pickup truck for commuting lol".

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 27, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

I mean no, but also it speaks volumes about the company in which case fuuuuuuuck them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If a company willingly outs itself as a hellhole for senior execs to demand anything and everything no matter how ridiculous from its employees, including prospective ones, it would behove oneself to pay attention.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qhat posted:

If a company willingly outs itself as a hellhole for senior execs to demand anything and everything no matter how ridiculous from its employees, including prospective ones, it would behove oneself to pay attention.

aren't you unemployed right now?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

the issue with too many stupid hurdles in the hiring process is that it means your coworkers will primarily consist of desperate incompetents

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

no six figgie income is locked behind one of those things. do you think their C levels took that test? VPs?

those exams are for people that make <50k

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qhat posted:

These are highly likely to be illegal questions. Some are tantamount to asking if you're disabled, gay, or similar. They serve no obvious job function.

EEOC posted:

These rules apply to any communications with or about the applicant, including application forms, interviews and reference checks.
https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/smallbusiness/faq/what_cant_i_ask.cfm

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't intentionally torment people I interview, I don't expect my DRs to do my job for me and I realize that all of this is just a means to an end and when dealing with people for whom it is An Identity just to nod and smile.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Blinkz0rz posted:

aren't you unemployed right now?

No.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Peeny Cheez posted:

I don't expect my DRs to do my job for me

then you're doing it wrong

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Went in for third interview for some adtech startup, unexpectedly walked out with a preliminary offer for 35% more than my current figgies (which are low tho) plus better benefits to boot. They haven’t even talked to my references yet, so this gives me some odd vibes - they’re a bit suspiciously eager. I don’t even want to work in adtech, so I think I’ll pass, but it’s nice to have the offer as leverage for other positions.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

TheFluff posted:

They haven’t even talked to my references yet, so this gives me some odd vibes - they’re a bit suspiciously eager. I don’t even want to work in adtech

None of the offers I got this year asked for references.

I feel like if you passed the tech test, who cares?

Maybe they read my linkedin recommendations idk.

Anyway I passed on insurance to work on embedded (and escape a web dev pigeon-hole) so good choice on the adtech pass imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
lol @ all these hot takes about what companies with stupid personality tests Must Be Like