Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
MS software is some of the biggest culprits of focus-stealing. I.E. does it, and we all know that's a critical core part of Windows, so I guess MS is OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Janitor Prime posted:

Avatar post combo, also welcome to Seattle the summer days are amazing right now

Lies, it's raining right now.

It's always raining.

You don't want to move here, I hear Dallas is nice.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Lies, it's raining right now.

It's always raining.

You don't want to move here, I hear Dallas is nice.

Just wait for the next economic crisis to buy a house

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's true of pretty much anywhere that has the faintest whiff of being a desirable place to live.

All the affordable towns are complete shitholes.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

poo poo pissing me off today, one of our longtime nonprofit clients. Their, I guess, COO is the fattest of fucks - no real anger here against the fat, I'm chunky myself but this dude sits AROUND the house ifyouknowwhatImean and it's more that his fatness is just an outward sign of his innate, longstanding, incredible talent of laziness. He is the laziest motherfucker I have ever seen in that he does absolutely no work, manages to somehow convince the board of this nonprofit that he's a good manager of things, and has been basically a pain in our rear end whenever we try to improve anything because it would require him to actually lift a finger.

Anyway fucko mcgee sends in an angry ticket about how we broke his email. NO INBOUND EMAIL RAGE WHY YOU BREAK. What's that you say? He's the only one having any issues with inbound email, and Office 365 isn't having any known problems? Oh there's more, in fact a message trace shows ALL of the test messages being delivered to his inbox?

Hmm.

Hey buddy, howzabout we just go right and check out your inbox and, oh, I don't know, see if there's any rules set up. Yeah let's just check that out.

Oh what's this?

Mmm, yes, mmm, mmm-hmmm, sure, sure, I see. Right. So you set up a rule filtering all messages where the sender's address contains periods to your RSS subscriptions folder. Yup that sure is a thing you did. Why did you do that? hosed if I know. But yeah, so that's happening, so the resolution is for you to take this ticket and shove it right up your loving rear end.

:fuckoff:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Super Soaker Party! posted:

poo poo pissing me off today, one of our longtime nonprofit clients. Their, I guess, COO is the fattest of fucks - no real anger here against the fat, I'm chunky myself but this dude sits AROUND the house ifyouknowwhatImean and it's more that his fatness is just an outward sign of his innate, longstanding, incredible talent of laziness. He is the laziest motherfucker I have ever seen in that he does absolutely no work, manages to somehow convince the board of this nonprofit that he's a good manager of things, and has been basically a pain in our rear end whenever we try to improve anything because it would require him to actually lift a finger.

Anyway fucko mcgee sends in an angry ticket about how we broke his email. NO INBOUND EMAIL RAGE WHY YOU BREAK. What's that you say? He's the only one having any issues with inbound email, and Office 365 isn't having any known problems? Oh there's more, in fact a message trace shows ALL of the test messages being delivered to his inbox?

Hmm.

Hey buddy, howzabout we just go right and check out your inbox and, oh, I don't know, see if there's any rules set up. Yeah let's just check that out.

Oh what's this?

Mmm, yes, mmm, mmm-hmmm, sure, sure, I see. Right. So you set up a rule filtering all messages where the sender's address contains periods to your RSS subscriptions folder. Yup that sure is a thing you did. Why did you do that? hosed if I know. But yeah, so that's happening, so the resolution is for you to take this ticket and shove it right up your loving rear end.

:fuckoff:

There is a >99.999% chance that was someone loving with him or him loving with you.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

There is a >99.999% chance that was someone loving with him or him loving with you.

Nope!

We just figured out (our onsite guy is not the brightest and until literally two minutes ago failed to relay information such as "at the same time this started happening, everyone else got an email from this guy with a fake fax notification and at least two other people clicked on it") that it's apparently a phishing attack.

So it's even better! This guy isn't incompetent, he's just a moron! Or whatever!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:suicide:

fakeedit: naturally he denies clicking on any suspicious links.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nope!

We just figured out (our onsite guy is not the brightest and until literally two minutes ago failed to relay information such as "at the same time this started happening, everyone else got an email from this guy with a fake fax notification and at least two other people clicked on it") that it's apparently a phishing attack.

So it's even better! This guy isn't incompetent, he's just a moron! Or whatever!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A phishing attack that hides all incoming mail?

I guess so he doesn't see a zillion bouncebacks and gets suspicious?

That's actually pretty clever. Good thing most hackers are lazy.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

A phishing attack that hides all incoming mail?

I guess so he doesn't see a zillion bouncebacks and gets suspicious?

That's actually pretty clever. Good thing most hackers are lazy.

Yeah, they were overthinking it with this guy. Pretty sure he wouldn't get suspicious about a zillion bouncebacks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nope!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I saw something similar to this where a guy tapped on a malicious email on his iphone and it emailed itself to all his contacts and then set a similar rule to shunt away all incoming email so the victim doesn't realize they've been compromised.. I think it was a bad PDF

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My boss’s boss, the Director of Finance and Operations, got hit with a similar attack where every email containing the word “document” got filtered to Junk. Of course, when I discovered this after he asked me to figure out why he wasn’t getting important emails, rather than admit his fuckup he made it sound like it was something my boss set up as though she’s just going around sabotaging people’s Outlooks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New Marketing Director (owner's daughter) is tryin to push everything marketing-related to IT's budget.

Hootsuite? IT. Some Wordpress plugin they bought for the website? IT. Their adobe CC subscriptions? IT's budget.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Bob Morales posted:

New Marketing Director (owner's daughter) is tryin to push everything marketing-related to IT's budget.

Hootsuite? IT. Some Wordpress plugin they bought for the website? IT. Their adobe CC subscriptions? IT's budget.
It amazes me that there are stil people who think "It's to do with computers, must be IT" like anyone of them could do any of their jobs without using a computer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I called it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The marketing manager came over to 'give me a heads up' on it, like I care. Nobody really gives me poo poo about me buying anything and our budgets are all over the place (IT pays for the HR software too!) so gently caress it, charge whatever I don't care. I'm not in accounting-they can sort it out.

I just bought a couple PoE switches, some T480S's, some 2560x1440 monitors...mostly so my current boss could 'approve it' before I get my new boss (in case they decide to pinch pennies)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not your money, set out your capital plans for the financial year, if your boss tells you to to buy loads of other poo poo out of the IT budget then do it as well as all the previously-agreed capital expenditure and just send the budget code into the red. Stop giving a gently caress about it entirely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not your money, set out your capital plans for the financial year, if your boss tells you to to buy loads of other poo poo out of the IT budget then do it as well as all the previously-agreed capital expenditure and just send the budget code into the red. Stop giving a gently caress about it entirely.

Yea, I just sit down and play "What can I buy this year, that's within 10% of what I spent last year"

Then the people who approve it in December/January question it in March when I try to actually buy it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

This reminds me of a time when I was working for a city department that was freshly a new department instead of a division under another department.

The head finance lady found $300,000 and told me we needed to spend it in two months or we would lose it in next years budget. So I went batshit crazy ordering ridiculous amounts of kit and software. Our training room had latest and greatest of everything (and was also my folding farm) the server closet was new, redundant and shiny. New desktops and dual monitors for everyone with dual-cpu machines for me and my bosses. You get the point.

Well, come new fiscal year it was discovered that old department and new department had both found the money and had drawn down on it so new department was $300,000 in the red after two months of being an independent entity.

Financial lady said, “any chance we can give it all back?”

I left the org for a better opportunity a few months later and I heard they were trading monitors from the training room for toner and paper. :allears:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I. Management has asked us to include a particular field on our user data records. We'll call this field "Division." Division is distinct from department and cost center because the people doing the HR organization have cement in their heads.

Boss: Well, all the custom fields in our system are used up, so we'll find somewhere else to store this data.
Me: Hey, the data in field X could go somewhere else on the profile, right? We'd just have to contact the people in charge of that particular data feed and have them change the header.
Boss: They won't do that.
Me: Can't or won't?
Boss: Won't. They're retiring that particular system and they don't want to make changes.
Me: Oh, a config freeze. I get it. When is the system migration planned?
Boss: It isn't. There's no date and no migration plan.
Me: So...they refuse to make changes based on a system migration that isn't on the books and may not actually happen for years?
Boss: Yep.
Me: :fuckoff:
Boss: Well, we have no control over that.

II. I ran a particular training completion report and observed that several dozen people had marked themselves complete for an item. This is a no-no: you always have to have someone else mark you complete, even if the system is occasionally stupid enough to allow you to self-complete. I reported these findings and an urgent meeting was called.

"Your system is broken! These people couldn't possibly have done that! Why, our own names are on this report and we didn't mark ourselves complete!"

Spent the next hour basically being called an idiot. They made me rebuild the report in front of the stakeholders and run it again. Same data, and in fact more data in other places seemed to point to the same conclusion. They accused me of being difficult, and finally ordered me to contact the system vendor about this "clear error" in recordkeeping.

On a hunch, I called a couple of people from the list. Cue the sheepish "Oh, uh, yeah, I may have marked myself complete." Oops.

Edit: Vendor confirmed my suspicions. I guess in this era of fake news, it's okay to look at a database extract and just completely disregard it if it doesn't match your expectations.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 27, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: My labor board hearing is on Monday. My old companies council emailed the labor board and I to request to attend by telephone... and that they were cutting me a check for 5k, the damages I claimed.

Sweet as! I don’t have to go downtown and I got mad money anyway. I emailed the lady back offering to cancel the hearing as the matter is basically settled. It’s in writing too with that email.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
They deserve to be raked over the coals for screwing you over to begin with but I can appreciate how it may also be inconvenient for you to drag it out. Hopefully the labor board keeps track of stuff like this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: My labor board hearing is on Monday. My old companies council emailed the labor board and I to request to attend by telephone... and that they were cutting me a check for 5k, the damages I claimed.

Sweet as! I don’t have to go downtown and I got mad money anyway. I emailed the lady back offering to cancel the hearing as the matter is basically settled. It’s in writing too with that email.
Should've waited until the check cleared

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

If they wrote you a check for 5k to not even get in the room you left money on the table. But if you are happy then great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Should've waited until the check cleared

True, but I have it in writing with the labor board CC’d with them saying they’re paying, so it’s a decent bet they’ll pay.

Sickening posted:

If they wrote you a check for 5k to not even get in the room you left money on the table. But if you are happy then great.

It’s the labor board and not a proper court, so they wouldn’t be awarding punitive damages anyway. Hell, the 5k is the damages, since they actually paid me out the money they owed already. That’s the waiting time penalty. There was no way they could have won since CA law doesn’t really allow any excuses, so I can see why they didn’t want to fly someone here to just lose like a bitch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skooma512 posted:

It’s the labor board and not a proper court, so they wouldn’t be awarding punitive damages anyway. Hell, the 5k is the damages, since they actually paid me out the money they owed already. That’s the waiting time penalty. There was no way they could have won since CA law doesn’t really allow any excuses, so I can see why they didn’t want to fly someone here to just lose like a bitch.

Oh yeah, you definitely would have gotten more had you gone to court, but if you're fine with that 5k ontop of what they owed you, doesn't matter!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MF_James posted:

Oh yeah, you definitely would have gotten more had you gone to court, but if you're fine with that 5k ontop of what they owed you, doesn't matter!

5K just for filing some paperwork and going downtown for a couple hours is pretty :discourse: in my book.

After taxes I should have 4k. Might invest that money... and also upgrade my guitar amp.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I would go anyway, and bill them for your time. This is probably a last ditch attempt to negotiate, or try to claim a favorable outcome by making a case without you present?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

Edit: Vendor confirmed my suspicions. I guess in this era of fake news, it's okay to look at a database extract and just completely disregard it if it doesn't match your expectations.
Had a similar thing happen. Our internal project management team botched a major implementation to the point that the entire organization assumed it was a joke that would never happen. Note that the PM in charge is friends with the CIO. Finally, a consultant was brought in, restored order, and saved the day. After the project stabilized, the consultant sent out a “lessons learned” survey in which everyone basically said our internal PM team is consistently a disaster and the only reason we limped across the finish line was because of the consultant. The CIO didn’t believe it, tried to demand the names of the respondents to the anonymous survey, and then proceeded to ignore the results entirely.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hosed up and didn't order a video unit for a location in time, and the project manager and person on site are treating it like someone lost an kidney from an organ donation.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CitizenKain posted:

I hosed up and didn't order a video unit for a location in time, and the project manager and person on site are treating it like someone lost an kidney from an organ donation.

I mean, you basically did, except it was a heart or liver or some other organ essential to human life. HOW DARE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

CitizenKain posted:

Why isn't it the pm's job to order hardware? (ie you provide the BoM and they do the paperwork etc)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

On a hunch, I called a couple of people from the list. Cue the sheepish "Oh, uh, yeah, I may have marked myself complete." Oops.

Do you think your meeting might have gone better if you knew that first?

poo poo pissing me off today (maybe)

I might just be out of touch, but I assume you would not be able to re-solder a northbridge onto a mobo without a pretty swanky soldering iron

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You’d need a reflow oven

mewse
May 2, 2006

I’ve seen a YouTube vid of someone repairing one of those bga type chips with a heat gun but it was clearly expert level soldering

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mewse posted:

I've seen a YouTube vid of someone repairing one of those bga type chips with a heat gun but it was clearly expert level soldering

Louis Rossmann, in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKp7fiXkws

I love that guy, even if he's a wee bit more crash in his comments that I usually like.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

angry armadillo posted:

Do you think your meeting might have gone better if you knew that first?
I did already know it and that was disregarded. "Hey, I received at least three tickets where people said, 'I marked myself complete for this accidentally and I need help to back it out so that I can do this right!' Isn't it possible that this was more widespread than we realized, and other people were just confused or too nervous to report the issue?"

"No. That might have been true for those specific people, but I know Jane personally, and even though her name is on this list there's no possible way that she would've done that. Plus our names are on it* and so your data is clearly wrong."

* The people on this particular management team are, to be polite, totally lacking in tech literacy. As I told my boss later in private, "Yes, I am actually saying that these three people marked themselves complete, that they are too dumb to realize it, and that they are also simultaneously too naive to actually have done it with bad intent. All of these things are possible and their past behavior makes it unsurprising." Boss agreed, apologized, and then I made her place the phone call to explain it all to them because gently caress if I was going to do it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Crowley posted:

Louis Rossmann, in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKp7fiXkws

I love that guy, even if he's a wee bit more crash in his comments that I usually like.

Was this video back when iphone 6+ touch disease was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcfqBExWW4

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

I did already know it and that was disregarded. "Hey, I received at least three tickets where people said, 'I marked myself complete for this accidentally and I need help to back it out so that I can do this right!' Isn't it possible that this was more widespread than we realized, and other people were just confused or too nervous to report the issue?"

"No. That might have been true for those specific people, but I know Jane personally, and even though her name is on this list there's no possible way that she would've done that. Plus our names are on it* and so your data is clearly wrong."

* The people on this particular management team are, to be polite, totally lacking in tech literacy. As I told my boss later in private, "Yes, I am actually saying that these three people marked themselves complete, that they are too dumb to realize it, and that they are also simultaneously too naive to actually have done it with bad intent. All of these things are possible and their past behavior makes it unsurprising." Boss agreed, apologized, and then I made her place the phone call to explain it all to them because gently caress if I was going to do it.

before I got to the end of the post I was thinking 'this feels like a manager to manager quiet word issue rather than full on meeting' then I saw at the end you were dealing with management so yeah -they wont want to be shown up, unlucky.

Thanks Ants posted:

You’d need a reflow oven

Figures, I have 2 identical PCs in the office I don't need for anything. Would it be mean to say "ok, if you can swap those northbridges I'll let you solder poo poo back together"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Google Play store region settings. gently caress you piece of loving dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
RIP in peace HipChat and Stride.