Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

Really? The only place you can travel with an RV are places set up to host them - specialty RV campgrounds (which are basically parking lots) or Walmart parking lots. They require specialty hookups for plumbing and electricity, which to me kind of defeats the point of camping. Perhaps there's some aspect of the lifestyle that eludes me, but I would much rather have a hatchback and a tent, and be able to camp anywhere.

Since most people who buy RVs are retirees or people with 2 or 3 kids, you’re probably not the target demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

vonnegutt posted:

Perhaps there's some aspect of the lifestyle that eludes me, but I would much rather have a hatchback and a tent, and be able to camp anywhere.
The few people I know that have RVs, their trips tend to last weeks or even months.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

vonnegutt posted:

Really? The only place you can travel with an RV are places set up to host them - specialty RV campgrounds (which are basically parking lots) or Walmart parking lots. They require specialty hookups for plumbing and electricity, which to me kind of defeats the point of camping. Perhaps there's some aspect of the lifestyle that eludes me, but I would much rather have a hatchback and a tent, and be able to camp anywhere.

My folks recently got into this and it's a lot less of a hassle than you're imagining. The only people I've seen that rely on plumbing and electrical hookups are taking their RV to somewhere and parking it for a months to live out of. Otherwise it's just a more reliable form of camping where you don't have to set up a tent or worry about bad weather as much. RV campgrounds are everywhere, especially in tourist and camping heavy places, and then there's always truck stops and places like Wallmart that welcome large vehicle parking over night to fall back on. It's definitely got some tradeoffs with regular camping and some people can be absolutely absurd with their houses-on-wheels, but I get why older people or families with kids might prefer to shift the burden to finding a place to park rather than setting up a campsite in the dark after driving all day.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

There are a lot of seniors who make do on a paltry SS check by living full time in an RV, following warm weather, and alternating between campgrounds and boondocking on national lands. For vacationers, you'll find that almost all tourist destinations in the US have good access to RV campgrounds. There are also a lot of empty nesters and seniors that will use their RV as a summer cottage of sorts- renting camp spots for a full season so they have access to a lake/trails/beach or whatever. Those campgrounds tend to take on a real "summer resort" vibe, with activities and lots of cookouts/campfires.
It makes sense when you consider the cost of maintenance and taxes on an actual summer cottage. Particularly if you are elderly and can't do a lot of home repairs on your own.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

whalesteak posted:

It makes sense when you consider the cost of maintenance and taxes on an actual summer cottage. Particularly if you are elderly and can't do a lot of home repairs on your own.

The con is that instead, you're doing a lot of expensive RV or truck maintenence. Oil changes are different when your vehicle is 15 feet tall.

However, RVing owns and I can't wait to get back into it. I grew up traveling the US with my parents on holidays. It is so much fun. A lot of work, but beats a vacation home any day.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

The point is that critics blast RV owners for "wasting money" on a vehicle they only use a few weeks/months each year without acknowledging that the alternatives may be even more costly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Like going on a death cruise

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Bonus third pillow that says "but..." just to spice things up

"I love you" "but..." "I know"

The perfect way to tell your spouse you know about their affair! I'll help write up the kickstarter.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm slowly browsing through this thread but this just popped up on my Tumblr feed and I had to share:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/450-W-Grixdale_Highland-Park_MI_48203_M37779-89409#photo0

Suburban Liberace aesthetic.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The only pieces of furniture that looks like they're meant to be used are the basement folding chairs and tables. Is that supposed to be a party space or something? All guests are to be herded into the basement after the 15 minute mandatory guided tour through the rest of the house. There they will sit and discuss how nice the house looks, within earshot of the owners.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That house has been on sale for a long time, and has even been posted before in this thread. It comes with a custom Cadillac in the garage, IIRC the guy owned a Cadillac dealership and lived there for a long time with his "friend."

Not my cup of tea, but clearly exactly his taste.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Now THIS is extremely my poo poo.

Disney? check.

McMansions? check.

Florida? check.

Mmm.

https://www.disneygoldenoak.com/home-availability/list/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Now THIS is extremely my poo poo.

Disney? check.

McMansions? check.

Florida? check.

Mmm.

https://www.disneygoldenoak.com/home-availability/list/

I don’t get it. Is this like when they built that “perfect town” back in the 90’s that has all of those extra HOA rules and poo poo (a “covenant” with Disney regarding what you can/can’t do with your property) and all the houses were designed by the same people who did Main Street USA and is expensive as hell and like 95% white (which is a real rarity in Florida)? The one where Walt initially envisioned it as the ultimate extension of the EPCOT plan but then the idea sat for three decades until Eisner decided to retool it as a sanitized 1940s-50s Leave it to Beaver nostalgia-fest? Except now this one is like “buy a $2 mil giant vacation home at Disney World”?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you mean Celebration?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I confuse Celebration with the town in FL founded by the Dominos Pizza guy. In the future we pick which corporation we want to live in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean Celebration?

Yerp. That’s the one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Celebration is an actual town. This is just vacation homes actually inside the park proper.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wouldn’t want to live inside Disney world but they’re fairly nice looking homes.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
I have a question! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it or not, but here goes!

I'm currently renovating my basement, and I built a huge room for my wife and I to enjoy without the risk of tripping over kids toys. The problem is, we have a space reserved for TV and when one of us goes to bed, it's either time for headphones or reading. I'm looking for a sound reducing curtain I could install on a rail to split the room in two when one of us decides to stay up later then the other.

So far I've tried to find some used stage curtains, but these don't seem to be sold anywhere.

Does anyone know what kind of curtains or fabric I could buy to make my own soundproof room?

Thanks!!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't think you're ever going to get sound proofing with curtains. We have giant retractable shutters that are like 6" thick in a meeting room at work and even with those you can still hear muffled talking through them.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Insulated blackout curtains or home theater blackout curtains are what you're looking for.

Or you could make a panel divider like they use in divisible conference rooms and fill it with rock wool.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have to be 100% soundproof, I just want the sound of the TV to be dampened enough that it doesn't bother whoever else is in the room. I'll look up the blackout curtains, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lil tiny speakers next to the couch. Or embedded inside the couch, or a hat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are in the process of considering building, and many of the covenants in acreages we're looking have restrictions of a minimum of 2500' square footage.

You underestimate how far out I'm willing to live.

I will never in any way shape or form own a property with an HoA or restrictive covenants beyond what the county and state demand. gently caress that noise, so long as I'm not causing an ecological or health disaster disaster and/or loving things up for my neighbors it's my property to live on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I will never in any way shape or form own a property with an HoA or restrictive covenants beyond what the county and state demand. gently caress that noise, so long as I'm not causing an ecological or health disaster disaster and/or loving things up for my neighbors it's my property to live on.

My ideal house is out in the woods somewhere kennelling animals for a living.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Where I live there are many new subdivisions with attached RV garages. Park your tiny house in a house!

This is what you get when the HoA won't let you have boats or RVs visibly parked on your property.

Jaded Burnout posted:

My ideal house is out in the woods somewhere kennelling animals for a living.

Same theory, but a quarter-acre of vegetable garden, three acres of fruit trees, and a couple beehives.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Same theory, but a quarter-acre of vegetable garden, three acres of fruit trees, and a couple beehives.

Bees are animals :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Bees are animals :colbert:

It's true, but I consider them sharecroppers. I build them nice houses, they help pollinate for me, and I tax their honey production.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It's true, but I consider them sharecroppers. I build them nice houses, they help pollinate for me, and I tax their honey production.

Landlord always getting his sticky fingers up in my product

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you hiring?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, that's at least a couple years away. My eventual goal is to turn it into mead and hard cider production as a side hustle as well. :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh well consider me applied for all that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Liquid Communism posted:

How can you tell if a property listing has covenants on it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

It could be on file at the the registry of deeds. But ask your realtor.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

A MIRACLE posted:

Usually squads of Grunts led by Elites or Brutes is a good indicator, but if they have active camoflauge it can be hard to tell.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SpartanIvy posted:

Usually squads of Grunts led by Elites or Brutes is a good indicator, but if they have active camoflauge it can be hard to tell.

I just want you to know I appreciated this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Liquid Communism posted:

Make sure they have a visible fire extinguisher

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Make sure they have a visible fire extinguisher

This joke gets a bee minus

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
From the Funny Pictures thread in PYF:

It's like the boy/girl versions of toys where they're functionally the same thing but different colors/themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have an interesting relationship with Celebration, as I watched it be developed. The town was carved out of wetlands out back of the RV Resort my family frequented, Tropical Palms. We would go to Tropical Palms once a year, usually Easter week. You could see the development being built from the back fishing pond. I seem to remember it taking a few years for the back bit by the pond to be completed.

Celebration Hospital is the best thing about the whole town. It is an awesome facility.