Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Americans call it Military Time because "24 Hour Clock" has more syllables and is therefore harder to say and takes more work so there's your answer. I spent 20 years in the American Navy before I retired in 2011 and if anyone says "1800" or the like to me now I still cringe, but that's because I didn't have a choice and now I can choose blah blah blah.

ANYway, I woke up to this nugget in a group FB chat with some other nerds I play nerd games with. The author has only watched about 4 episodes of Season 1 but I thought this was funny:

nerd posted:

I was listening to a podcast talking about the Twin Peaks being a real thing. Mainly discovered by someone calls Alister Crowley who believed in a ritual called “moon child” in order to keep the BLACK LODGE at bay.

I explained The Secret History but I'm not sure where the disconnect came. Thought it was funny is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lynch + Frost letting magic/occult flow into primetime tv is one of my favorite things about Twin Peaks.

I really have to read Frost’s two books. I have them and haven’t opened one yet. I suck.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Flyinglemur posted:

Americans call it Military Time because "24 Hour Clock" has more syllables and is therefore harder to say and takes more work so there's your answer. I spent 20 years in the American Navy before I retired in 2011 and if anyone says "1800" or the like to me now I still cringe, but that's because I didn't have a choice and now I can choose blah blah blah.

ANYway, I woke up to this nugget in a group FB chat with some other nerds I play nerd games with. The author has only watched about 4 episodes of Season 1 but I thought this was funny:

I explained The Secret History but I'm not sure where the disconnect came. Thought it was funny is all.

There are people who literally think that Lynch made a documentary about occultism with twin peaks and that not only is it referencing Crowley etc with the secret history, multiple key elements are lifted from his book "Moonchild" like the concept of the black lodge, a dancing midget who loves music, rapacious demons, etc,

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

most people call it military time, no need to be a sperg about it

I wasn’t being a sperg, saying “most people” call it that just isn’t true??? Like maybe in America but you guys are not the whole world so ???

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:jerkbag:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lynch + Frost letting magic/occult flow into primetime tv is one of my favorite things about Twin Peaks.

I really have to read Frost’s two books. I have them and haven’t opened one yet. I suck.
I got The Final Dossier on my Kindle for my birthday a few weeks ago but have yet to read it :ohdear:

It's only 100 something pages, isn't it? I'm sure once I start it, I'll blow through it rather quickly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I genuinely don’t understand your reaction at all here lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

calling it military time is not weird, there was no reason to act like it is

some kinda pride in being able to add and subtract the number 12, maybe?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I genuinely don’t understand your reaction at all here lol

You’re fine buddy! I’m from the US and have only heard it called military time but it’s reasonable to not get that if your country handles it differently.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got The Final Dossier on my Kindle for my birthday a few weeks ago but have yet to read it :ohdear:

It's only 100 something pages, isn't it? I'm sure once I start it, I'll blow through it rather quickly.

Seems much bigger than 100 pages but I know it’s not a traditional novel or anything like that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Americans call it "military time", everyone else just calls it "time"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the final dossier is really short and can be read in a single sitting

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Americans call it "military time", everyone else just calls it "time"

How dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I’m not American and had no idea they called the 24 hour clock military time so I appreciate the explanation.

When I heard the term military time before I assumed it meant the US military used a certain time zone for all their timekeeping.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We should call the metric system the “military system” and then we’d respect and adopt it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

We should call the metric system the “military system” and then we’d respect and adopt it

The Metric System (R)
Imperial System (D)

The adoption would fly through Congress.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Secret History is really good. Starts off a bit slow, maybe, but it gets there. Final Dossier was kind of a letdown in comparison.

Totally different books, ofc.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Looking for some wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/cFmGB

Apologies if this has been posted before.

EDIT - It's high-resolution captures from all through Episode 8.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 28, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Final Dossier is incredibly straight forward and contains none of the creativity of the Secret Dossier, but it literally spells out exactly what happens in season 3 so it's a must read.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Alan_Shore posted:

Final Dossier is incredibly straight forward and contains none of the creativity of the Secret Dossier, but it literally spells out exactly what happens in season 3 so it's a must read.
It's more like Mark Frost's interpretation of what happened. Having watched the Blu-ray documentary, it's pretty clear that season 3 was very much a Lynch-driven production. I think of the written material as an alternate take on the same universe and story as opposed to a direct companion. Kind of like Kubrick and Clarke's respective takes on 2001.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Volte posted:

It's more like Mark Frost's interpretation of what happened. Having watched the Blu-ray documentary, it's pretty clear that season 3 was very much a Lynch-driven production. I think of the written material as an alternate take on the same universe and story as opposed to a direct companion. Kind of like Kubrick and Clarke's respective takes on 2001.

Well, I haven't read the book, but my assumption has always been think that Mark Frost was something of a grounding force and had created a sense of what the Twin Peaks mythology was or is or should be going forward. And I can only imagine that Lynch's constantly shifting and highly intuitive (yet fairly precise and controlling) way of working - which involves spontaneous script changes, of course - probably naturally resulted in something that deviated occasionally from what Lynch would focus on.

I got the sense in the other book that Frost was also just into placing these events - including whatever dream/fantasy-derived madness Lynch may come up with - into a sort of real-world framework that contextualized what we're seeing in an almost uncomfortably close way. I felt like the beginning of Episode 8 with that first atomic bomb did that in an incredibly effective and profound way, especially with the choice of music.

It definitely like season 3 was very much a Lynch production in pretty much every way, no? Complete with script changes at the last minute I bet, and a relatively impulsive/intuitive approach... I will say that based on watching the Blu-Ray stuff, it almost feels like a good thing that due to budgetary constraints he couldn't just dwell on one shot or section of a particular episode for any extended period of time, and even though he appears obviously annoyed and angry about it at times... well, often I think it was a good thing, and caused him to rein in some of his more indulgent habits and focus instead on just getting the best possible work done in the time that he had..

Although I will say I felt annoyed on his behalf when he mentioned the limited time he had to shoot the interior stuff at The Fireman's Place. I think it was during a late-night rant he was having to some poor assistant and network rep about how the schedule/budgetary constraints were driving him absolutely insane as he didn't feel he had the time he needed at certain locations to fully explore the various ideas and techniques he wanted to explore, or whatever. He was like "I could have spent a whole 'nother [week or month] shootinig at The Fireman's but we had to leave!"

I remember hearing that and suddenly feeling truly pissed off and annoyed at these network jerks on behalf of Lynch, and the pressure they put on sincere artistic types like Lynch versus the loving insane amount of money they will throw at someone like.... say Zack Snyder. I just looked at his IMDB, and in the last 10 years of his career since (and including) Watchmen, he's been given ~$1,050,000 to make primarily superhero films... He did do a couple "low budget" movies at ~$80 Million apiece.

Now, that number is for a small handful of superhero films Snyder made. All combined they'd equal about half the running time of 'The Return' with far less artistic merit than a quarter of "The Return".

By comparison, David Lynch had to fuckin' fight hard to get his budget for 'The Return', as most of us remember he actually QUIT the production (even though Maclachlan in particular had already signed an ironclad deal to return for the show) because Lynch felt he knew just how much he needed, and the folks at Showtime considered it "laughably high". And what is the number, how much did Lynch want that was so laughably high he literally had to quit and rejoin the production? Well, reportedly Showtime was very impressed that Lynch did not ultimately go overbudget when filming, and all in all the 18 episodes cost $50,000,000 - that is the laughably high budget that Showtime refused to give Lynch, that he fought for.

It's truly kinda mind-boggling, when you think about. The big sum he needed to create that massively awesome thing we all watched...is less than 5% of the money Zack Snyder gets to make movies in a decade. 18 hours of high quality David Lynch with a "laughably high" sum of money is 1/6th of a 2-hour Zack Snyder film, Justice League. I don't mean to focus on him it could be any guy working in super hero movies or just stupid high budget films like Michael Bay.

Just makes me sad, is all. Makes me wish I lived in a country that didn't automatically devalue artistic expression. Anyone like Lynch who works with minimalism or experimental styles often has to immediately fight a number of labels in the mainstream like "self-indulgent", "painfully pretentious", etcetera and so on. Nothing pretentious about throwing away vast sums of money of loud and obnoxious sensory overload with a thousand fuckin' jump cuts per act.

Frankly just the fact that he has the PRECISE opposite approach to filming than the bland style "typical" style you'll see in nearly every big-budget hollywood film or major TV show. It's way worse for film than it is for TV - just look at the IT adaptation. That was going to be something really truly dark and amazing when Cary Fukunaga, freakin' amazing guy who directed all 8 episodes of season 1 of "True Detective", and was probably the biggest factor in that season being one of the greatest masterpieces of television, was writing and directing it according to his own vision... That is, until the Studio stepped in, saw that he was making a genuinely horrifying and disturbing arthouse film rather than a horror film, tells him to change a ton of poo poo and put in conventional touches and jump scares and make the ending more optimistic and make the characters more likable and give Pennywise more One-Liners like Tim Curry's version... And so on. So Fukunaga literally quits, he is so horrified, and then to his greater horror the studio called his bluff, and they brought in guys who had experience making conventional bad horror films. They culled all the great stuff from the script and SIGNIFICANTLY dumbed down the dialogue, taking out a lot of dialogue and text taken directly from the book.

And that's really exactly why Lynch has said he's never gonna make another film, y'know. Because right now, that's just *what studios do* when a director tries to get artistic. I mean really...compare the genuinely good and experimental films that came outta either Hollywood or independent cinema in the '90s and early 00's. Now look at the quality of films we get - it's goddamn *sad*.... If anything worthwhile is being made, it's almost certainly not being released in theaters but to a streaming service and/or maybe TV.... Fascinating era, really. Do people really still go to see movies in the THEATERS these days that much, even as a date? When you can just, say, "netflix and chill" instead with someone you like at home it seems like it'll be increasing obsolete.

Ack. End of Rant. Lynch rules. Independent film is dead, long live independent film.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lynch is great but I always feel sad that Frost is over looked. He's never mentioned really, and make no mistake, it wouldn't be Twin Peaks without Frost. They created it and wrote the pilot (and season 3) together.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People have been making "Film/theater/literature is dead" arguments longer than any of us have been alive but whoops good stuff keeps getting made.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

Lynch is great but I always feel sad that Frost is over looked. He's never mentioned really, and make no mistake, it wouldn't be Twin Peaks without Frost. They created it and wrote the pilot (and season 3) together.

Yeah, it may be an erroneous generalization, and there is of course a lot of overlap here, but I always view Frost as the “FBI procedural, but spooky” grounding force, and Lynch being the one who injects an absolutely insanely touching emotional core to everything - even if it ends up derailing the “plot” for a bit, it’s almost always for the better.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Lynch has a way of leaving behind what I can only think to describe as a residue of wonder in his work. Even if Mark Frost wrote every scene, the major appeal of Lynch's work and Twin Peaks in particular is, to me, the unsaid and the unseen, which is by definition something that is not written by Mark Frost. I don't mean to diminish his contributions to the series and the universe, but I really don't want to know "the answers" (or even believe that the answers are strictly knowable) and while I do appreciate Mark Frost bringing a grounding to the show's mythology with his writing, some things should just be as they are without being dragged kicking and screaming into the realm of the scrutable and familiar.

I may have mentioned it before but when I was a kid, I loved the Bing Crosby-narrated Sleepy Hollow animated film, and (at least in my interpretation of it as a child) the ambiguous nature of its ending, both in the true identity of the horseman and in the true fate of Ichabod Crane. No matter what the answer may be, nothing can possibly be as intoxicating as wondering. I recall coming across the original short story in a library book and purposely avoiding reading it in case it shed too much light on something that I felt was best left in the dark. I think Twin Peaks is exactly the same way to me and why I stubbornly refuse to consider Mark Frost's interpretation as "the answers" as opposed to one man's interpretation, co-creator though he may be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kaworu posted:

And that's really exactly why Lynch has said he's never gonna make another film, y'know. Because right now, that's just *what studios do* when a director tries to get artistic. I mean really...compare the genuinely good and experimental films that came outta either Hollywood or independent cinema in the '90s and early 00's.

I feel like experimental and indie films are in a way better place now than they've ever been before in a larger sense, where we can get small films with big ideas that don't look like total garbage. Like look at A24's entire catalogue.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Looking for some wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/cFmGB

Apologies if this has been posted before.

EDIT - It's high-resolution captures from all through Episode 8.

All this time later and a bunch of that is still very unsettling to look, even in stills. Christ.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The difference between Snyder and lynch is that traditionally Lynch things bomb hard

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Empress Brosephine posted:

The difference between Snyder and lynch is that traditionally Lynch things bomb hard

Maybe one day Lynch will produce something worthwhile like Justice League or Batman vs Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Frost was responsible for Invitation to Love, and I was disappointed that didn't show up in Season 3

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

kaworu posted:

It's truly kinda mind-boggling, when you think about. The big sum he needed to create that massively awesome thing we all watched...is less than 5% of the money Zack Snyder gets to make movies in a decade. 18 hours of high quality David Lynch with a "laughably high" sum of money is 1/6th of a 2-hour Zack Snyder film, Justice League. I don't mean to focus on him it could be any guy working in super hero movies or just stupid high budget films like Michael Bay.

I know you say you're not singling out Snyder but it's odd to mention him in particular because he was fired from Justice League for not doing what the studio wanted and had another director brought in to completely redo the film. This probably counts as one of those "oh boo-hoo you only made millions but had your toys taken away" moments, but I think it's still relevant to the rest of your rant that he's one of the handful of super hero movie directors (the other notably ones being Josh Trank and to a lesser extent Edgar Wright) who have faced the same kind of studio meddling which caused them to either leave or have their vision* ruined or both.

* again, "vision" in this case being relative, I liked Snyder's stuff but would put it nowhere near Lynch's level, but that might be one of the sacrifices you make trying to work with massive budgets

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I know you say you're not singling out Snyder but it's odd to mention him in particular because he was fired from Justice League for not doing what the studio wanted and had another director brought in to completely redo the film.

Uh Snyder left post-production and reshoots on Justice League to someone else because his daughter committed suicide and he needed the time off. He’s still in charge of DC films and is working on JL2 right now.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No one is working on Justice League 2 right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

Uh Snyder left post-production and reshoots on Justice League to someone else because his daughter committed suicide and he needed the time off. He’s still in charge of DC films and is working on JL2 right now.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/13/17007872/zack-snyder-justice-league-fired

It’s only a rumour but it makes a lot of sense to me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only comic I can see David Lynch adapting is the Incal. And I figure neither he nor any producer in the world want to touch a potential Dune situation with a ten foot pole.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only comic I can see David Lynch adapting is the Incal. And I figure neither he nor any producer in the world want to touch a potential Dune situation with a ten foot pole.

Are you watching Legion? I know it's Noah Hawley and not Lynch but drat is it loving good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s good in fits and starts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I feel like a David Lynch Silver Surfer movie would be interesting

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

Are you watching Legion? I know it's Noah Hawley and not Lynch but drat is it loving good.
I actually recommended Legion to anyone who's jonesing for a David Lynch fix earlier in the thread, and I'd like to take this opportunity to uphold the recommendation! Still have to finish S2, though.

The trouble with the concept of Lynch adapting comics is that few comics worth adapting (purely in an economical sense here) seem to correspond to his themes and style.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

David Lynch presents: Animal Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I 100% legit considered adding "maybe Animal Man" to that post.

Generally, if it comes to Lynch adapting a comic, you do probably want to look at Morrison's stuff.